PDA

View Full Version : Something I have never seen in multiplayer befor, except by the AI ... Please Advise

LarksTounges
07-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Hello,

Let me set the stage, two great people in Thebes, GH and GS.

I slip in a pikeman with two spies and they are clearly visible on the coast, I figure take my chances and maybe I can get one of them when he rushes a spy to counter ... Thebes was captured by the Arab player about 5 turns earlier with those people in tact, he did not steal them prior to capture.

There are no other humans in the game (Egypt quit when he took Thebes, American booked after he saw he was quite outgunned), he's the arab and I'm the spanish.

The people are there when I end the turn (GH and GS), on the next turn I go to attack with spies.

The people are not displayed and they seem to have been moved from the city, like the AI does. When the spies go in, taking the people are not an option since they were clearly hacked out of the city somehow. Again, I might be naive, but I've never seen this in years of Civ Rev except by the AI.

This dude always plays as the Arabs and has two accounts (I think) with 151 at the end of the title. But I don;t care so much about chastising him, I'm curious what he did?

I find it next to impossible that the AI took those great people. The other civs were nowhere near him, plus the AI never uses spies (except in defense of course)

When I called him on it, he quit the game and said I was being rude and he didn't cheat. He tried to disarm me with some rhetoric about how he only plays for fun. Well why hack the game if you only play for fun ...???

Does anyone have a plausible explanation for this, or is this just the next round in a horrible cheating arms race on Civ Rev.

I think this is a more than legit topic for the forum, since I have not witnessed it, or have not seen anything about it. Is this what people call "city hacking"???

Thanks for your help, and I'm thinking about taping these things so that the proof is clear ...

LarksTounges
07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think he has two accounts, got him mixed up with someone else? Again, who it is is irrelevant, what happened???

RZ Racer 9
07-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Was there a re-synch? Thats the only thing I can think of. Re-synchs wreak havoc in this game, taking techs, units...even settlers away. I've never encountered any form of cheat that would describe what happened to you.

You seem to jump to the "cheating" conclusion very easily. This game is full of bugs/glitches and quite often just does screwy things. I think you should chill out a bit and just relax. It' one thing when you know someone is cheating, but just assuming that someone is cheating just because you've not experienced what is going on is pretty lame. From the looks of your posts, you don't have a ton of experience playing this game, therefore, you are far from an expert on whats a cheat or not. Personally, I would be inclined to leave if you showed up in a lobby I was in, as the chances are pretty good that if anything happened that you didn't understand, I would end up being the subject of your next post. Do you ever post about anything besides cheating?

Sevendust34
07-10-2011, 06:20 AM
You seem to jump to the "cheating" conclusion very easily. This game is full of bugs/glitches and quite often just does screwy things. I think you should chill out a bit and just relax. It' one thing when you know someone is cheating, but just assuming that someone is cheating just because you've not experienced what is going on is pretty lame. From the looks of your posts, you don't have a ton of experience playing this game, therefore, you are far from an expert on whats a cheat or not. Personally, I would be inclined to leave if you showed up in a lobby I was in, as the chances are pretty good that if anything happened that you didn't understand, I would end up being the subject of your next post. Do you ever post about anything besides cheating?

This is what I was thinking too.

LarksTounges
07-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Fair enough. There was no re-synch in the game to my knowledge (at least not around that time). But honestly have you guys ever seen this before??? I just want to report it as something new even if the dude is totally innocent, which I hope is the case. You said you never saw it, I'm just curious if anyone else has. A quick sample of my friends yielded the same conclusion, no one had seen it.

This really isn't a post about cheating, it's about a new dynamic in the game which really needs to be explained. If I lost great people out of the blue, I'd want an explanation as well.

Thanks for your critiques

And you are correct, the game is very very screwy and maybe there is no valid explanation. But that is why the forum exists, so we can discuss and deliberate issues and situations that occur in the game. A few weeks ago I posted something about AW giving the wonder in another person's cap (that he took on the same turn from me) So I'm not just posting about cheaters.

He claimed he would show up here and tell us what happened. And honestly I can't wait for the explanation.

And as far as being an expert on the game, I think I am ... however I'm fairly new to multiplayer 250-300 games (but I win around 50%). When o777o and Scottie X don't play GOTW, I can and have won on there, so I'm not a total novice. Is there a way to move great people like the AI does? If so this is news to me and it completely alters the landscape of the game if it can be achieved legally. Imagine growing your cap and then dunking a humanitarian with 20 cities ... I don't need to elaborate further

Otherwise your explanation about the resynch is possible, but that happening right as I'm going to pull those people?? It just sounds like a fairy tale. Or this dude has better luck than God himself.

And as far as not playing against me, that's fine too, I can respect that position. However if you don't cheat the only thing you have to worry about is losing fair and square :-) ... I've called out a few known cheaters by name and folks told me that was against the forum rules. No problem, I have not done that since.

This is a completely legitimate question and it is not a witch hunt for cheaters (although I'm sympathetic to such a cause).

Again, thanks for your comments and I look forward to a fruitful discussion about this and other topics.

JackHall2003
07-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry, I never experienced it, so have no answers.. Just wanted to say that was a well handled response. Look forward to possibly meeting up in a tourney in the future.

dtproof151
07-11-2011, 06:21 PM
The explanation is quite simple, the American spies took them right before you did, from the north (you were coming from the south). Had a fortifying spy but was beaten by his, then he sent another one. This was right before you sent yours. There you have it, no cheat, no gimmicks. Now you say the AI can't do that, I honestly don't know as I was under the impression the american player was still active.

I've never cheated, don't even know how, don't care.

What I do care are the expletive messages I got from you. I don't see you using that kind of language on the forum, so why do it online. In the end you've redeemed yourself with this post, but be more careful next time.

asmodeios
07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
The AI never steals GP, never.

LarksTounges
07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Took you an awful while to come up with that. However I'm almost positive the American Civ was a computer at that point (but I could be wrong and in this case no problem). And why didn't you just say that the other day??? It would've been a lot simpler to just claim the truth at that point and i would've let it die right there.

As far as the profanity, you would be saying the same thing if you saw what I saw with no other humans in the game.

I apologize as it was a heat of the moment, well moment. I'll assume this is taken care of and my mistake ... however I'm almost positive that was an AI civ. Then again maybe he was still there (he stunk if I remember correctly).

Sorry again, and I think I've learned a valuable lesson about mixing close CivRev matches with alcohol.

However in other news I had a person freeze the game intentionally to 'get my attention' (since I wasn't listening to the chat) so I would wipe out the other civs first so he would get second place. Needless to say I was more upset with this request!!!

LarksTounges
07-11-2011, 06:49 PM
That's what I thought as well, the AI never does it. So it comes down to if the American was still in the game. I'm honestly not sure and I think it's more likely that he was there (and I misremembered) and that I was mistaken than dtproof151 being some kind of demigod of cheating.

I still think it was an AI, but Ockham's razor applies here: It was more likely that I misinterpreted the situation than this guy being a cheat. It just makes more sense ... I wish I could tell that to myself 48 hours ago!!!

LarksTounges
07-11-2011, 06:50 PM
God that scientist and humanitarian would've certainly turned the tide though!!!!

dtproof151
07-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Yup I was pretty upset losing them, that'll teach me not building spies quicker. Had an awful start too being Arabs stuck on an island.

It's all good Larks, thanks for clearing my name. See you around.

JackHall2003
07-12-2011, 01:35 AM
dtproof - welcome to the forums:). Hope you stick around.