PDA

View Full Version : Chryssalids immune to arc throwers?!!

Wrench
09-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi guys,
So the latest alien report on Xcom's Facebook page states in its facts that the big scaries are immune to the arc thrower! So looks like live capture and research are out on these little terrors!!!

http://db.tt/cwuAvdOf

telljer
09-29-2012, 02:01 PM
We've known this since Pax Prime. The MP demo showed they are immune to stun.

Path
09-29-2012, 02:01 PM
You couldn't interrogate one anyway, so a live specimen wouldn't be of much use I suspect. Robots can't be stunned either, but then, interrogating a Sectopod...

Jeep-Eep
09-29-2012, 02:02 PM
As if you'd want the problem of containing a Keter-class nightmare like those creatures.

Gazz
You don't talk to man-eating vermin. You crush it.

Peggle20
You couldn't interrogate one anyway, so a live specimen wouldn't be of much use I suspect. Robots can't be stunned either, but then, interrogating a Sectopod...

So you can't stun a cyberdisc to keep it from going boom?

Mandemon
09-29-2012, 02:04 PM
I want to do what they did in XSGCOM (a fanfic, you should all read it)

Capture a live Chrysalid, strap it down while it's awake and perform an autopsy on it >:D

I bet that would cheer up troops pretty well

So you can't stun a cyberdisc to keep it from going boom?

You couldn't stun a cyberdisc in OG either, prevent explosion yes, but only way to get interrogation data was to interrogate an alien medic.

Wrench
09-29-2012, 02:05 PM
We've known this since Pax Prime. The MP demo showed they are immune to stun.

Ah right sorry fella... I must have missed that bit of info.. Cheers for updating :)

RazorChain
Containing a Chrysalid is...kind of the same as containing the Xenomorph from alien movies....not a very good idea

Silverflash
Been in a cave for a while, have ya? ;)

Yeah, no stunning bugs. From the look of 'em, think the juice will only make the glowy orange ends of their spines shine brighter.

Schuesseled
09-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi guys,
So the latest alien report on Xcom's Facebook page states in its facts that the big scaries are immune to the arc thrower! So looks like live capture and research are out on these little terrors!!!

http://db.tt/cwuAvdOf

oh yes, they are immune, even contemplating it, is doomed to fail.

Peggle20
09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
To be honest, not having to stun a chryssalid is going to make my life a whole lot easier. Stunning a berserker, now...

Silverflash
09-29-2012, 02:20 PM
To be honest, not having to stun a chryssalid is going to make my life a whole lot easier. Stunning a berserker, now...

That's been my nightmare scenario for a while. Pete Murray confirmed on here that capturing a live Roid is one of the toughest challenges you can set for yourself in the game.

Challenge accepted. :D

Valdyr
09-29-2012, 02:20 PM
You can't interrogate Chrysalids, but you can shoot them in the face with a shotgun and let the science folks poke the body with sticks.

SayuriUliana
09-29-2012, 02:22 PM
I want to do what they did in XSGCOM

Glad I'm not the only one who read that. Shame there probably isn't gonna be a sequel despite ending in a cliffhanger.

As to capturing Chryssalids... who would even want to?

Rebask
09-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who read that. Shame there probably isn't gonna be a sequel despite ending in a cliffhanger.

As to capturing Chryssalids... who would even want to?

Well, there's 'Terra from the Deep' but it's dead I think. Not as good anyway.

bull30075
09-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Actually he knows since his avatar is the Aliens Vs. Predator book cover by Steve Perry. One of my favorite sci-fi books that what AVP movies should of been.

kingsword
09-29-2012, 02:32 PM
I very much welcome this. Hoping that more are immune because I don't really like how arc thrower works and how much live capturing is needed for materials.

Mandemon
09-29-2012, 02:41 PM

There is Terra From The Deep, but it hasn't updated since 3 May 2011

http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-21213/Hotpoint+XSGCOM+Terra+from+the+Deep.htm

assatur
09-29-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't know... I remember seeing a vid that briefly showed a Chrysalid in an Alien Containment unit. That may have been an old build, though. Also, the info says that they are immune to Arc Throwers... and someone commented on a thread recently about seeing some kind of advanced Arc Thrower on the research or manufacturing list in a recent vid, but it was never highlighted so there's no clue what it does. Maybe the advanced one is powerful enough to take down a Chrysalid, though I'm not volunteering for that job!

Just speculation, of course...

TheMediator
09-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Edit: Nevermind... I forgot to have to capture aliens to get their weapons too.

Path
09-29-2012, 02:57 PM
There is no capturing Chrysalids, period, nor any robotic unit. The evidence is right there in the demo files.

Hillhome
09-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Know the best part of them being immune to stun? Not nearly everyone will know that fact and the rage that will fill this board upon release will be so hilarious - can't wait!

rotsa
09-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Capturing a crysallid would have been bad but managing to stun a mutton armed with a blaster launcher to obtain one will be 10x worse.

SayuriUliana
09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
the info says that they are immune to Arc Throwers... and someone commented on a thread recently about seeing some kind of advanced Arc Thrower on the research or manufacturing list in a recent vid, but it was never highlighted so there's no clue what it does. Maybe the advanced one is powerful enough to take down a Chrysalid, though I'm not volunteering for that job!

AFAIk it's the "Improved" Arc Thrower, and given how the upgrades to items are incremental that only improve their basic function rather than adding new ones, it's more likely for the improved Arc Thrower to just have a better chance of stunning enemies with higher HP, rather than allowing it to stun Chryssalids.