PDA

View Full Version : Books, dialog?

Morovir
05-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I've tried the search function, but didn't see anything regarding this.

Will there be any books and/or sane people in the game that can fill in the back story? I'm not talking about the smiling Nali in Unreal, but instead the cast of characters in games like Deus Ex.

It would be interesting to read, in-game, about events prior to the disaster. It would also be nice if there were some people in the game to talk to. Bury this if it's been discussed before.

Note - this would be one way to add length to the game without irritating the "twitchers" Leave a path open for those who just want to run through the game as fast as possible, but reward those who are willing to spend a bit of time exploring and reading.

Rumor
05-04-2007, 10:11 AM
There are going to be diaries, photographs, an occasional sane person, and more. That was mentioned somewhere on Cult of Rapture, article or podcast... But I suspect it's going to be closer to Doom 3 setting rather than that of Deus Ex =).

Morovir
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
There are going to be diaries, photographs, an occasional sane person, and more. That was mentioned somewhere on Cult of Rapture, article or podcast... But I suspect it's going to be closer to Doom 3 setting rather than that of Deus Ex =).

That's cool. Deus Ex got a bit too political in places. On the other hand, I need a bit more intellectual stimulation than "Doom". I played the original until I defeated it, and I've never played it since.

Besides, this game practically cries for some back story. It would be a shame if it were "just another shooter"

Hatesink
05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I heard mention of there being some relatively normal people in rapture, who are just trying to escape. I think the game might let you help them through some of the missions.

smallsey
05-04-2007, 10:49 PM
just like on system shock 2!
except low-tech.
doom 3 sucked...it sucked so hard. if bioshock turns into a doom3ish game im going to melt the disk

Nihil
05-05-2007, 07:12 AM
I hope for some backstory cause i love games where you can talk to lots of people or like mess around with all these little things in the game like books and tape recorders cause i don't ust want another bland shooter i mean com'n with the exception of maybe halo like the original doom and goldeneye for the n64 have set the standard for shooters therefore nothing has changed except for graphics, and this is supposed to be more of a rpg so the adams and such are like in a sense point for leveling up by the sounds of it with genetic mods so let's get in depth like an rpg or even like the good old resident evil days but obviously much better and if you wantanother bland shooter just to toy around with go buy doom 3 its like 8 bucks used now

Raveness
05-05-2007, 11:54 AM
That's cool. Deus Ex got a bit too political in places. On the other hand, I need a bit more intellectual stimulation than "Doom". I played the original until I defeated it, and I've never played it since.

Besides, this game practically cries for some back story. It would be a shame if it were "just another shooter"

I'm totally with you on that. I don't want or need Bioshock to be a didactic tale like some of Rand's writings, but I expect it to be more than a simple generic theme with no progress or allegory whatsoever. It is heavily influenced by Atlas Shrugged, and there was that screenshot 'Atlas was right' :)

I assume there is a modicum of benign splicers who you can 'activate' to hear some tidbits of conversation. There's also cassette tape recordings, possibly some gramaphone ones as well; maybe a PA system for the main characters (Ryan, Tennenbaum, Fontaine). All could be used to enhance the backdrop of Rapture and its short history. I doubt the player character will respond like a JCD, but rather remain silent like a GF.

intercision
05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
... I doubt the player character will respond like a JCD, but rather remain silent like a GF.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I LOVE games with good conversational AI. I think this is an often-overlooked aspect of AI (overshadowed by strategic and tactical AI). Being able to interact in conversation with NPCs really makes you feel like you're immersed in a living breathing world. I like being able to upset people in the game world, and have them form opinions of me based on things I say, (as opposed to things I do). This results in interesting grey areas of interaction, instead of the more traditional black/white friend/enemy.

On the other hand, one could argue that BioShock is a game that focuses on the player creating their own world, their own fun, and to a degree, their own character. So keeping the protagonist silent through out the game leaves a blank canvas for the player to project their own "self" onto, instead of forcing the player to adopt a set series of responses.

I'm quietly hoping BioShock will allow me to interact with NPCs to a greater degree than just "help them" or "kill them".

lurchibald
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
just like on system shock 2!
except low-tech.
doom 3 sucked...it sucked so hard. if bioshock turns into a doom3ish game im going to melt the disk

if it happens i will melt my disk at the same time lol