PDA

View Full Version : Fullscreen won't fit

johnrgoforth
09-23-2010, 01:47 AM
So I was finally able to get the game to run after making it skip the intro and start in windowed mode. But I can't play a game like Civ in windowed mode. My desktop resolution is set at 1920x1080. But when I try to set Civ 5 to fullscreen at 1920x1080, I've only got like the top left quarter of the game in my screen. Any ideas as to what causes this?

smackcalvin
09-23-2010, 04:23 AM
under common issues before you post, this might help.

When playing Civilization V part of the game screen is missing or cropped, how can I fix this?

On a small number of monitors (particularly widescreen monitors) the game may start up at 1280x720. This will cause some elements of the game to be cut off. This can be remedied by entering the options menu and manually setting the resolution to a supported resolution.

To change this select "Options" from the main menu and then select "Video Options", this will show the screen resolution and allow you to alter it accordingly.

In rare instances, this may not be possible due to the amount of UI that gets cut off. To fix this, you will need to manually edit the "GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini" or "GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini" in \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ so that the game launches at 1024x768 (the minimum supported resolution).

BioTurboNick
09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
With due respect, I don't believe this is the same issue as the Common Issues describes. I have the exact same problem, and it is called "overscan." The other issue is that the 1920x1080 resolution is 1080i, not 1080p for some reason.

The workaround is to Alt-Tab out to the desktop and then bring up Civ V again (EDIT: by clicking on the game screen hovering behind, not by Alt-Tabing or clicking on the Taskbar icon). It should keep your desktop resolution and stop overscanning. At least it did for me--but you have to do it every time.

OP, what video card do you have? I have an ATI Radeon 4870 and I wonder if its related to that.

Tech Ian
09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
With due respect, I don't believe this is the same issue as the Common Issues describes. I have the exact same problem, and it is called "overscan." The other issue is that the 1920x1080 resolution is 1080i, not 1080p for some reason.

The workaround is to Alt-Tab out to the desktop and then bring up Civ V again. It should keep your desktop resolution and stop overscanning. At least it did for me--but you have to do it every time.

Tried setting it in the Dx11 ini file?

BioTurboNick
09-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Oh, I have to correct my statement: CivV never actually minimizes when I Alt-Tab out, it just hovers behind my applications and above the desktop, so it only retains the Desktop's resolution if I click on the game screen to bring it to the foreground, but it will return to the dysfunctional resolution if I click on the icon or use Alt-Tab to bring the focus back to it.

My GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini file correctly says "WindowResX = 1920" and "WindowResY = 1080"

johnrgoforth
09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately, the common problem doesn't work. I had to go into the ini at first to tell it to start in windowed mode. So it starts in windowed at 1280x728, and it fits the screen fairly well. If I click on fullscreen, regardless of what resolution option I choose, none of them fit the screen.

I have an ATI Radeon 5770. Unfortunately, the Alt+Tab thing doesn't seem to be working for me, either.

Basse
09-24-2010, 02:58 AM
I made a new thread, but then found this one.... I'm having the exact. same. problem. I haven't tried alt-tab, but I'm not hopeful. Anyway, let's keep this thread moving until this issue is resolved.

Original Post:

I've read several posts on this topic, but my problem really hasn't be resolved yet even using the suggestions I've seen. So I am hoping either someone can point me to the final solution or help me get this figured out.

Problem:

1. If I try to open DirectX 9, the game crashes after the intro video. But I don't really care because my video card supports DirectX10 so whatever.
2. First time using DX10/11 the intro played and then when it finishes I hear the menu music but nothing but a screen full of gray.
3. After updating everything (several times) and tweaking with every setting I could find (Civ 5, Graphics Card, and beyond) I am able to get the game to load in Windowed mode at 1280x720.
4. Windowed 1280x720 fills the entire screen (even though my computers resolution is set at 1920x1080) and the game works fine. But windowed mode is annoying so...
5. I tried to switch from Windowed to Fullscreen from the in-game menu, but when I do the screen comes back and I can only see like the top-left quadrant of the game...
6. I have tried pretty much every screen resolution setting (including my native resolution: 1920x1080) at fullscreen with essentially the same results. Sometimes I can see more of the game screen than others, but still mostly only the upper left.
7. Clarification: My monitor is completely filled during fullscreen mode; it's just that the game goes way outside the screen boundaries. As if I'm "zoomed" in.
8. It seems like the game is putting itself at the requested fullscreen resolution, but at the same time, arbitrarily lowering my computers resolution down so that the game resolution doesn't fit.
9. Once I exit the game. My computer resolution is back to perfectly normal.'

System Specifications
Motherboard: ECS A785GM-M7 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PS: Diablotek DA Series PSDA500 500W ATX Power Supply
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor ADX240OCK23GQ
RAM: 2x Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Monitor: LG LCD HDTV connected via HDMI (though I've tried VGA with the same results even using a normal computer monitor.)

What I Want
To be able to play Civilization 5 using DX10 at 1920x1080 FULLSCREEN.

Note: I have updated/reinstalled all drivers, DirectX, etc etc.

:( :( HELP! :( :(

johnrgoforth
09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Yep that's my exact problem. I hate playing Civ in widowed mode, so it's junk if I can't get fullscreen to act right.

saurabh
09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I have the exact same problem. Tried the alt-tab solution - doesn't work for me.

Can someone help...pls.

Basse
09-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I put in a call and an email to 2k abou this. Hopefully we get resolution soon.... I love the game besides this crap.

bigden
09-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Are all these problems the result of playing HDMI on an Progressive scan HDTV? Or are these TV's running 720p/1080i?

Basse
09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I am indeed on hdmi @ 1080p. However, I've tried some experimentation with a normal PC monitor plugged into the same GPU via VGA cable. Similar results so far...

Thanks for your help!!

johnrgoforth
09-24-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm also going through HDMI on a 1080p. I haven't tried hooking it up any other way.

Mateos
09-25-2010, 04:42 AM
I had the same problem trying to run at 1920 x 1080 fullscreen on an HDTV.

I think it has to do with the DPI scaling in Windows 7 and Vista.

Here is how I fixed it.

1. Create a shortcut for the executable for the version of the game you want to run DX9 or DX11

2.Right click the shortcut and choose properties. Click the 'Compatibility' tab.

3. Under where it says 'Settings' check the last box where it says 'Disable display scaling on high dpi settings' Click OK or Apply. Enjoy.

When Steam starts it will say something about not running well in compatibility mode, I ignored it, and it has been working fine since. Hope this helps. I'm off to play.

johnrgoforth
09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome. That works. Thank you very much. :D

saurabh
09-25-2010, 04:36 PM
It works!

Thank you so much.

QuantumTarantino
09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I had the same problem trying to run at 1920 x 1080 fullscreen on an HDTV.

I think it has to do with the DPI scaling in Windows 7 and Vista.

Here is how I fixed it.

1. Create a shortcut for the executable for the version of the game you want to run DX9 or DX11

2.Right click the shortcut and choose properties. Click the 'Compatibility' tab.

3. Under where it says 'Settings' check the last box where it says 'Disable display scaling on high dpi settings' Click OK or Apply. Enjoy.

When Steam starts it will say something about not running well in compatibility mode, I ignored it, and it has been working fine since. Hope this helps. I'm off to play.

Awesome tip Mateos

Lurks
09-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Stone me this works, good work!

Still runs in interlace for some reason. It seems to wilfully ignore the reported capabilities of the monitor and all three options under 1920x1080 dish out interlace regardless.

Quite irritating but in the scheme of lame stuff experienced so far in getting this to run this is quite minor :)

bigden
09-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Good find. We'll work on a solution on our end as well.

Basse
09-27-2010, 12:54 AM
I finally got back to my computer after a weekend out of town, and this fix worked for me too.

Mateos, you are my hero.

My only mistake was verifying the fix at 1230am last night.... Somehow "verifying the fix" ended at 4am with me entering the Renaissance era with a coalition of city-state allies hell bent on wiping Washington and his no good resource whoring ways off the face of my continent.

:D :D :D :D :D

SpidersWeb
09-28-2010, 05:00 AM
The problem is ATI Catalyst seems to like defaulting to 8% overscan.

When I fitted my new 1920x1080 monitor, everything including the desktop and other games was like this. I set Overscan to 0, which fixed the desktop but it didn't fix the Civ V. So I did more searching and found that you can set the default overscan in the registry for each mode (e.g. 1920x1080 @ 50Hz), so I did this for the 50Hz and 60Hz options.

Worked on my other games but not Civ 5! BUT after reading an unrelated comment in this thread I realised why. I assumed it would be running non-interlaced and I didn't bother setting the overscan/scaling to 0 for the interlaced modes.

I will try this tonight (I'm in New Zealand, so give me 10 hours :P ) and report back and put the instructions up if it works (so you wont need to worry about the 'Compatibility' popup).

From what I can tell, CCC picks the monitor up as HD TV and defaults the overscan to 8% for all modes. If you change it on CCC, then it is only applied for the current video mode. It was made this way so people with funky TV screens wouldn't have the edges cropped by default. I'm guessing if I had a higher quality monitor with DVI-D rather than simple HDMI, the problem may not have popped up.

(FYI - using an ATi 4850 @ 1920x1080 over HDMI with AOC 24" (model number is 2443 I think))

Dakuna
02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
You don't have to create a shortcut, you can actually change the compatability settings for the steam application file in windows 7. Excellent info for making this work, but I prefer to reduce unnecessary shortcuts :)