PDA

View Full Version : I have a map... How do I make sure my civ starts in a certain position?

CivStephen
09-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi,

I have a map already generated, I just want to be able to go to single player custom game, choose my civ (England) and start where I want to start. I've also assigned the other civ's their starting positions so it's balanced.

I've tried everything in the world builder, Edit tile>Start position and I've tried placing a settler and a warrior there. It's not very intuitive, I imagine I need to make it into a mod to get this to work?

Every time I set the game up in the custom game, all it does is use the map + resource allocation but everything else is done randomly.

Spellfire360
09-29-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been addressed in another post, but I'll re-post here.

1.Enter World Builder
2.Open scenario editor (top of screen)
3.Click + button in Player tab (lower left of screen)
4.Go back to your custom map
5.Click on tile you wish to start in
6.Use edit plot tab in the map editor to your right
7.Click on start position near the middle
8.Change to your desired Civ :D

Hope this helped!

CivStephen
09-29-2010, 03:16 AM

1.Enter World Builder

Hope this helped!

I've done that, see OP

BillyTheRatKing
09-30-2010, 07:03 AM
I would really like to know if there is a solution to this as I am having the exact same issue.

Cursis
09-30-2010, 07:19 AM
you need to go through Mods -> single player -> set up -> advanced _> select your map -> back -> click load scenario under the basic map select

BillyPlod
09-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I have a map already generated, I just want to be able to go to single player custom game, choose my civ (England) and start where I want to start. I've also assigned the other civ's their starting positions so it's balanced.

I've tried everything in the world builder, Edit tile>Start position and I've tried placing a settler and a warrior there. It's not very intuitive, I imagine I need to make it into a mod to get this to work?

Every time I set the game up in the custom game, all it does is use the map + resource allocation but everything else is done randomly.

When you edit the map - make sure you have added the Civilizations you want - and I place actual cities for my City States, and place a Settler for my CIVs in the approximate area - they rarely move more that a tile or two - or just place a city.

I did try to set the start postion(s) - but I could not keep track of where I had put them all - senior moments.

Bradly197
09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
I have another thread on this as well.

I followed the above and i am still not getting it to work.

Placed start points by editing the plots... nothing... totally random start.

Placed Cities... nothing They don't appear either

Placed Unit... any guesses? Nada. They don't show up. No units at all.

I have checked scenario. Uncheck scenario. Rechecked... rinse repeat.

I even created a small almost blank map with nothing but the start points. Nope. Civs just start anywhere.

1.Enter World Builder
8.Change to your desired Civ

Did this verbatim. Did not work. Tried it with the small maps too.

BillyPlod
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
This may help -

Couple of things: -
It appears that the Maps you create need to be the exact size in terms of Hexes in the X, Y axis as the predefined Tiny, Small, Standard etc that are available in the game otherwise when you "publish the Scenario" the map shows up highlighted in RED. In addition, is unusable.
I think I’ve seen that the map sizes are defined in a game file and using a different size map from those predefined will not work.

This works for me – for a Scenario using the standard rules.
Game loaded in default directory – Steam installed – and run at least once to create “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5” directory structure under “MY GAMES”
Mod Tool loaded in default directory – Steam installed”.

Load the Game and decide on map size – other parameters do not matter. SAVE MAP using option in SAVE GAME, dialogue.
MAP is save in MAPS directory under “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5” directory

EXIT GAME
LOAD – World builder
Edit map etc… and Scenario parameters. DO NOT SCALE.
SAVE MAP.

Open ModBuddy
Select - FILE – NEW – PROJECT
In the NEW PROJECT WINDOW, select Map Pack
Fill in the form – NEXT
At MAPS – ADD your MAP from the place you saved it.
CLICK FINISH.

THEN SELECT “BUILD”
This adds the standard info and – if you are using the default directories copies your completed “MOD” to the MODS directory under the “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5” directory – and creates a directory with your Mods name.

LOAD GAME
Select Mods.
ACCEPT
Browse Mods – you should see your mod “name” – ensure radio button is GREEN and ticked.
BACK to SET UP GAME
Click MAPS
Scroll to your map name – if it’s RED the map will not play – otherwise select map – TICK the load Scenario button and
START SENARIO.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
Once you have done this once you can edit the map – change it – and you only need to copy the map to the scenario directory in the mod folder. No need to build etc…

awbrab
10-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Anyone have problem saving game in Mod?
I load and play a scenario in Mod successfully, but when halfway through the game I clicked on Menu and I got no Save Game option!!!
Anyone enlighten me???

carthoris2002
10-02-2010, 03:27 AM
I have the exact same problem. I can get the map to work along with the start points but no save game option, not even at the beginning.

awbrab
10-02-2010, 04:21 AM
I have the exact same problem. I can get the map to work along with the start points but no save game option, not even at the beginning.

finally someone have the same problem like me...

dvang
10-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Billy. That process worked to get the starting locations and units to start correctly. However ... does anyone know how to make a MP Mod? There's no MP game option in the MOD menu. My wife and I made a map, and want to play it on LAN.

We had to run the game in SP, then load it in MP. We load into the lobby fine, but the host gets a runtime error when it tried to go into the game. Any ideas?

awbrab
10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Billy. That process worked to get the starting locations and units to start correctly. However ... does anyone know how to make a MP Mod? There's no MP game option in the MOD menu. My wife and I made a map, and want to play it on LAN.

We had to run the game in SP, then load it in MP. We load into the lobby fine, but the host gets a runtime error when it tried to go into the game. Any ideas?

dvang, wanted to check with you, when you are using your customised map in single player Mod game, can you save the game?

dvang
10-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Yes, I can save it out when playing it in single-player. Both using the Menu->save and CTRL-S allow me to save.

awbrab
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes, I can save it out when playing it in single-player. Both using the Menu->save and CTRL-S allow me to save.

I mean in Mod single player...

dvang
10-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Yes, that's what I meant too. I was able to start a SP game in Mod mode. Then, while in that Mod SP game, I could either use the Menu to Save or CTRL-S to save the game just fine.

awbrab
10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I think I found the solution...What I did was to remove the game and re-install again.
Without playing any game first, I tried to load a Mod game and there is Save and Load Game option.
But I have not tested playing it...but since the option is available I think it should be fine unless proven...
finally I can play my game...

anony2k1
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Anyone have problem saving game in Mod?
I load and play a scenario in Mod successfully, but when halfway through the game I clicked on Menu and I got no Save Game option!!!
Anyone enlighten me???

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386183

rhugga
10-07-2010, 06:32 AM

1.Enter World Builder

Hope this helped!

Yea the point being this doesn't work. It still randomizes it. I've also tried playing around with the Disable Start Bias setting both when setting up the game or setting it within the scenario editor itself and it has no bearing.. I've tried matching civilizations to "continent types" as well as a dozen other things..

Apparently there is no way to make player X start here and player Y start there.

dvang
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
If you follow Billyplod's post above, on running it as a MOD, it should work to start the civs where you said to with the units you said to. At least, that worked for me.

rhugga
10-08-2010, 06:54 AM
This may help -

I can't get this to work.

What I do exactly:

Start Civ 5.
Select Single Player.
Select Set Up Game.
Select Advanced Setup.
Change Map Size to "Standard".
Click Start Game.
Immediately w/o doing anything Save the map using the Save Game dialog.
Exit to Windows.

Load World Builder.
Load my map. (which is in the My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps directory.
Click full screen button.
Click "Scenario Editor"
Change the following scenario options: default speed, disable start bias, no ancient ruins, quick combat, domination victory type only.
I add 3 players.
I toggle player 2 and 3 so they are not playable.
I add 3 city states.
I then use plot edit to toggle the player starting points. I place a starting point for my playable faction. I then place 2 random player starts.
I then place 3 random city state starting points.(all at least 4 hex's away from others just for the hell of it)
I then place 2 starting units for my playable race. (just as a test)
Save Map.
Exit World Builder.

*NOTE* that I did not scale the map or even edit any terrain outside of selecting the starting points.

Load Mod Buddy.
File -> New -> Project
I select "Map Pack" in the right pane.
I accept the default Name/Location/Solution Name.
Click OK.
I then enter a single word all alpha text Title. (which must be 8 characters long)
I put a single alpha text word into the Special Thanks field.
I put a single alpha text word in the description field. (which also must be 8 characters or more)
I click Next.
I click Add.
I select my map which is right there in the default location.
I then click finish.

Now this is where you directions get confusing.. Under "Build" I have several options:
Build Solution
Build "project name"

I have tried doing each of these by themselves and I also tried doing both in the same attempt. (by alone I mean map pack 1 I tried Build Solution. I then started fresh from square one and on map pack 2 I tried Build project name. Lastly I tried a 3rd attempt using Build Solution followed by Build "project name").

Quit Mod Buddy.

Launch Game.
Select MODS.
Browse Mods.
Enable my mod which was in the default location. (thus the radio button is green)
Back out into game setup and my map name shows up as red and can't be played.

HughHowey
12-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Okay, here's what you do: (I was having the same problem).

1. Create your map.
2. Add players (make the first one playable, the rest not)
3. Add start locations for each plater and citystate
4. Click "Lock Mod" in scenario editor (Not sure if this is necessary, but it works)

Start Civ 5
(Here's the part that was tricky to figure out)
1. Choose "Mod"
2. Choose "Single Player"
3. Choose "Advance Setup", then choose your map, then click back.
4. Highlight the scenario checkbox
5. Play

This works for me every time when nothing did before. The secret is to go to single player through the Mod choice, instead of directly to single player. This does NOT require creating an actual mod, just a map. Hope this helps some people! Sorry to leave out a step or two, I'm just in a hurry to get back to the game!

runninfool13
12-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Ive done everything in this thread. The problem I am having is that my game freezes every time the game is loading.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I mean when the scenario is loading. So after I click start scenario.

Procylon
12-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Ive done everything in this thread. The problem I am having is that my game freezes every time the game is loading.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I mean when the scenario is loading. So after I click start scenario.

Start with small simple maps to ensure that it actually works for you. IE generate a random duel map in the worldbuilder, perform all the needed steps, then see if it works. If it still freezes, at least you know it isn't your computer or anything special you have done. It would most likely point you in the direction of your process, or perhaps other things such as reinstalling the SDK among other things.

DeepBlue
12-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Just add a settler for every civ in the locations you want.

runninfool13
12-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Got it to work. I reinstalled the sdk and did each step in my map one by one trying it out. The only thing I can think that the problem might be (as I did everything the same except one thing) that I had land at the north and south pole. Maybe it was just needing the reinstall. Thank you.

Now I have like 10 maps with the same name on my map screen.

bdrr
06-23-2012, 05:13 PM
okay, here's what you do: (i was having the same problem).

1. Create your map.
2. Add players (make the first one playable, the rest not)
3. Add start locations for each plater and citystate
4. Click "lock mod" in scenario editor (not sure if this is necessary, but it works)

start civ 5
(here's the part that was tricky to figure out)
1. Choose "mod"
2. choose "single player"
3. Choose "advance setup", then choose your map, then click back.
4. Highlight the scenario checkbox
5. Play

this works for me every time when nothing did before. The secret is to go to single player through the mod choice, instead of directly to single player. This does not require creating an actual mod, just a map. Hope this helps some people! Sorry to leave out a step or two, i'm just in a hurry to get back to the game!

this option does not exist in "mod."

When you click "mod" there is only a list of installed mods, and nothing more.