PDA

View Full Version : outstanding PC problems.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

interceptor
08-23-2007, 04:33 PM
So the Widescreen thread was closed and we're told to post in the new Widescreen sticky. Well guess what there isn't one, so I'm posting here.

Let me say: fix the widescreen. I don't like playing feeling like I have a telescope over my eyes. I mean, FOV 75 on Widescreen come on!

And the fov fix doesn't work with DX10 so don't tell me to use that.

2K shipped game with half-baked widescreen and they know it!

Mentalblock
08-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Here are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock clock)
2gb of RAM
8800 GTS, 640mb version
MSI 975X Platinum
Creative SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum
Vista Home Premium

Bioshock Limited Edition PC DVD

All Vista, Video, Direct X, Sound and Mainboard drivers are up to date.

I can start and run Bioshock normally under DX10 but it fails transitioning from the logo to the actual crash site. Using DX9 I can get into rapture but the very first Vita chamber you encounter crashes the game. The first auto-save will function when the bathysphere surfaces in rapture but saving it myself will crash the game. I can barely play for a minute or two at best.:confused: I've tried every reasonable solution on the forum so far to no avail.

This is what Event Viewer recorded:
Faulting application Bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x46b7d7a9, faulting module Bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x46b7d7a9, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00294470, process id 0x7ac, application start time 0x01c7e553c1dcf46a.

I have about 12 entries like this one. All are slightly different in the application start times and process ID's.

Stealer
08-23-2007, 04:43 PM
AMD Barton 2800+
ATI Radeon X700
1 GB Ram
Windows XP
Soundblaster Audigy
And I have the retail version (bought it at EB Day on release)

So when i load up the game all i see is black pixels and fire
Now I know this is because it's an SM 2.0 Vid Card and i have seen the user created fix for it. However the 5 minute load time is very frustrating and not worth it at all especially in later levels. other than that i'm not having problems with the game at all, I do have a widescreen monitor and i don't see what the big issue is and why people are complaining about that.
C:\Documents and Settings\Stealer\Desktop\lameha0.jpg

Stealer
08-23-2007, 04:46 PM
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2161/lameha0.jpg

that's actually what i'm seeing

ubudeco
08-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Intel Core 2 1.86 ghz 1 gig ram Windows media ed. Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS.

Crash at loading screens. Save games don't load. Black boxes.

puckeroo
08-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Game Installs and launches to the menu fine. Starting a new game gives a black screen with the loading sound looping in the background, alt-tabbing crashes to desktop ("BioShock.exe has stopped working") with a high buzz noise constantly playing and an eventual blue screen of death after a few minutes.

A work around is to start the game in windowed mode and then "Alt+enter" in game to put full screen back on. This will work fine during the level, but will crash at a loading screen (like when you first enter rapture) or if you try to save. To get around this I have been "alt+enter"'ing back to windowed mode just before the load points and whenever I want to save.

I'm going to stop playing the game until these issues are resolved. Thank you.

Vista Ultimate 64bit
Q6600
4GB 667Mhz Ram
NVidia Geforce 8800 GTX
Creative X-Fi Gamer Edition
Steam Sku

Scorpio17523
08-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Right, sorry.

amd 6000+ 3.01 ghz
OCZ dual channel DDR2 800 2GB
XFX 7900 GS XXX with the beta drivers that just came out for bioshock.
Abit AN-52 Motherboard

Its something that happens constantly and they flash on the screen very fast...i was lucky to get a screenshot of it. it happens in random places but ive noticed its mostly on the character models and the weapon youre wielding. Ive tried many things but im starting to be conviced that its a graphical bug because ive done everything i could think of to fix this. My thread on it is here:
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6267

I've also had this... from what i can tell though, its the base texture... when making some textures, the background is made to transparent, sometimes if the texture is a decale etc...

Hope this helps solve the problem (for the people at 2K to fix that is)

Scorpio

ssbowers
08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
When I first run Bioshock it plays well. Within ten minutes I start taking a huge framerate hit.

When I first start playing my FPS are in the mid 60s to mid 70s which is just fine by me. Within ten minutes the FPS drop into the 20s & teens, even if I'm playing in the same area. If I get killed, or whatever it is, when I come out of the tank and just walk through the same area, enemies or not, my framerate is less than half! It isn't dependent on the dying tank scenario, I just used that to illustrate that I can be in the same spot I was a few minutes ago with a huge loss in FPS. What gives?

My rig:
ASUS A8N32 SLI - Deluxe
AMD 4200+ 64 X2 Dual/Zalman Heatsink
2GB (1x2) Corsair pc 3200, XMS/Platinum Heatspreaders
EVGA 7950 GX2, 512 MB
Raid 0, 2x250GB HDD WD Caviar 16 MB Cache
On-board Audio AC'97/Realtek, WDM drivers up to date
450 Watt Coolermaster TruBlu PSU
XP, SP2
nVidia Beta Drivers, updated bios & chipset drivers
1 80 GB sata drive running Ubuntu
1 80 GB ide for media

Mint_Sauce
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM
My machine:

ASUS V1JP LAPTOP
T2700 CPU (dual core 2.00Ghz)
2gb Ram
ATI X1700 mobility 512mb gfx card

My laptop crashes when I try and change some of the settings in the graphics options screen. VSYNC crashes it every time as does changing the screen resolution... Also, bad performance, need everything to be set medium/low at 1024x768. Knew it wouldn't run brilliantly but it does seem a bit sluggish.

Lighthouse
08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
1 - Fix draconian DRM measures
2 - Fix widescreen implementation

Calvary
08-23-2007, 05:23 PM
My graphics issues are like Stealers picture posted above. Also, my mouse cursor does not show on the screen menus (using Logitech G5 gaming mouse).

System specs:

P4 2.4 ghz
1 gig ram
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB

Calvary
08-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh forgot to mention...

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live 5.1
Bioshock PC limited Edition

ScarsofTokyo
08-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I am running Bioshock through steam, but when I launch the game it freezes at the startup logo on the windows desktop. I have left it on there for over 1 hour, now in no way should a game take one hour to load after installing, but I wanted to see if it would start at all. I have restarted my computer multiple times, updated drivers, and scrolled through numerous forums to try and correct this. Please help.

I know my computer can run it, or at least in theory should because multiple users running nearly the exact same computer have gotten it to work.

My specs are: Asus G1S-A1
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2ghz
2gb of Ram
Nvidia 8600m GT 256mb DX10
Hitachi 200gb 7200 RPM
Windows Vista Premium 32bit
Intel Turbo Memory Chip

puckeroo
08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
(Sorry for repost - No Edit)

UPDATE:

My particular problem has been solved by stopping the TabletInputService in the Services Tab of the Taskmanager (click on the "Services..." button, find "Tablet PC Input Service" - right click 'properties' change it's mode to 'manual' and then Stop the service) - Now Bioshock seems to work for me (although I can't use my Tablet which I do need for work) - a much better workaround than switching to windowed mode.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Game Installs and launches to the menu fine. Starting a new game gives a black screen with the loading sound looping in the background, alt-tabbing crashes to desktop ("BioShock.exe has stopped working") with a high buzz noise constantly playing and an eventual blue screen of death after a few minutes.

A work around is to start the game in windowed mode and then "Alt+enter" in game to put full screen back on. This will work fine during the level, but will crash at a loading screen (like when you first enter rapture) or if you try to save. To get around this I have been "alt+enter"'ing back to windowed mode just before the load points and whenever I want to save.

I'm going to stop playing the game until these issues are resolved. Thank you.

Vista Ultimate 64bit
Q6600
4GB 667Mhz Ram
NVidia Geforce 8800 GTX
Creative X-Fi Gamer Edition
Steam Sku

vril
08-23-2007, 05:38 PM
I had the black screen of death loading issues if dx10 was enabled.
I had to use the -dx9 comment to get the game to run at all.
The game would still crash using things like the map or anything really.
Saving the game would cause a crash also.
This would erase my quicksave and reset my config settings every crash.

I found a fix for these problems by turning off a windows service called Tablet PC Input Service.
I use a wacom graphics tablet on my gaming rig for work, I am not sure if this service is enabled by default on all Vista system, disabling the service and setting it to manual fixed all my issues.
The game runs rock solid now for the last 6 hours play :)

System Specs

Vista Ultimate 64 bit
CPU E6600
MB Asus P5W_D
2 gig ram
8800GTX

biosuckmyrooster
08-23-2007, 05:43 PM
HA Thats RIGHT 2k i MADE IT THERE u guys were like..... psh stupid idiots were millionares now and yer not even going to be able to load the game...
WELL i tinkerd away and got it up, ya yer multiple crashes and first load point to the rapture slowed me down but i fought my was thru and even got to see what the game play was like with ☺☺☺☺ty graphics, and now im at the medical center witch i think is the end of the game do to blue screen of death so ill rate it a 1 out of 10. game was kinda easy to beat only 1 playable level maybe next time you should make it a little longer, oh and 2k Good LUCK in GAME of the year award YOU REALLY are gunna give HALO3 a run for its money

STACKAGUCCI
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, I'm running dual SLI Nvidia 8800 GTS, Core 2 Quad 2.4 GhZ, 2 Gb 667 SDDR2, Vista 64-Bit. Bioshock ran flawlessly 'til I paused to eat; I came back and the game was frozen. No sound or mouse response. Now I'll start it back up, and my settings will be defaulted. If I try to change the resolution, it usually goes to the wrong resolution, and when it asks for confirmation, it freezes and the sound stutters and dies.

cin1122
08-23-2007, 05:54 PM
my specs are Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz, 1.00GB RAM Windows XP Pro Ver. 2002 SP 2 Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX

my game freezes (sound stutters) at the first loading screen and crashes to the desktop giving me the "BIOSHOCK.exe doesn't work" or is working improperly.

cin1122
08-23-2007, 05:54 PM
sorry, also, i have the retail version of BIOSHOCK

GibMonkey
08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Installed and game ran for hours no prob - (approx 3 hours) and then I had my first lockup. I was most of the way through the Medical Pavilion. Lockup is just a looping sound and I have to hard reset the machine - cannot end task or such. Since that time I've had more and more frequent lockups (I'm in Arcadia now). Lockups are about 10 minutes to 20 minutes apart. Same deal with having to rebind everything and such (total PITA). It never freezes in the same place or when I'm doing one particular thing.

I had a mouse lag issue but turning V-Sync off fixed that.

System is....
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (all the fixes)
Asus P5N32SLI-PLUS with E6600
4 Gigs of RAM
2 x XFX 8800GTX in SLI - latest Betas as of this posting (.44)
Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer - Latest driver available as of this posting
75 Gig Raptor for operating system, 150 Gig Raptor for gaming and such.
2 X SATA DVDRW (Toshiba)
USB Keyboard and Mouse (Logitech G5)
Widescreen Monitor for 1680 x 1050 rez (DELL)

Thanks for what I am sure will be a bug free game. Good luck in tracking these little critters down. You guys made a kick butt game.

A little follow-up...

I've been deleting the running.ini file to restore my bindings and such, and I have tried all the tweaks mentioned in the various posts on this board (shut down tablet service, disable themes, run as administrator) but have yet to try the memory tweak mentioned in the readme.... will do. Nothing I have tried so far has had an effect on my locking up issues. But I digress - after rebooting several times after freezing at the audio loop I have found that the system tends to freeze (4 outta 5) when a popup comes up after taking a picture that gets you a gene tonic of some sort. If I am quick and select stuff very rarely I can avoid the system lockup. I noticed this when I didn't have a lockup after some extended playing and making note of it only to freeze up after I took a picture of a houdini splicer in Arcadia. I'm not sure if it is just due to the tonic upgrade, or because of the interface that pops up itself but will update if I notice something. I've also noticed some wierd sound issues from time to time now - sounds replaying themselves from time to time (in a skipping fashion), but not ALL the time. This may be just a coincidence but my gut is telling me otherwise. Also, just for note, when I do freeze and reboot, delete the running.ini and start the game - a bar on the top and bottom showing corruption (kind of like SLI corruption - I am running SLI) shows the picture of the last thing I was looking at when it froze (just in the corrupted top and bottom bars). This is after a reboot of the system! How would it remember that? Once I get the the main menu screen all is fine again but I thought it might be of note for tracking down some of the bugs.

Good luck in finding out what is causing the issues! I'll post if I find any more info - but I may just be putting this down pretty soon as I'm pretty frustrated rebooting all the time. I may just wait and see if you've figured it out in the first patch you release. Thanks again for a killer game - I look forward to playing it with less bugs! :)

Scorpio17523
08-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Vista Ultimate 32 bit
Intel 2.4GHz Quad Core
2x nVidia 8800 GTX SLI not enabled as sometimes use dual screens for work
3GB DDR2 RAM

Limited Edition Version, Retail

Game runs fine, none of the main issue listed above. The only issues I have seen so far are as followed...

1) As quoted before, the black boxes seen now and then around the world, from my understandings of games and their technology, is that it seems to be a base texture that is ment to be invisible, fauting, due to either graphic card drivers, or the game itself.

2) Now and then, when moving through the game, the radio messages to the player (from Atlas etc) pop up, then close without playing the actual message. This has only happened so far about 3 times.

3) When saving a Little Sister, one got stuck/ froze/ stood still when making her way back to her hole. This was situated in the surgery area upstairs near the place with a logo of a flame.

Note: Not a glitch but an addition for a future patch... Allow a key bind for Walk. If using the xbox 360 controller, all that needs to be done is not push the stick forward so much... however on keyboard and mouse all we can do is run and crouch.

Scorpio

cherryonion
08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
i can start the game
i can play a little bit
as soon as it tries to load the medical pavilion level - CRASH
even then, sometimes it crashes before it loads - it crashes sometimes in the room where the 3 slicers are beating on the windows.

specs
windows home premium 32bit
geforce 8600 with current drivers (not beta)
2 gb ram

tricknasty
08-23-2007, 06:02 PM
this really SUCKS!!!! but i registered because im frustrated at not getting the game to run properly.

Im using the STEAM version of bioshock and get the blackscreen of nothing...
At first i read you can reinstall dx9 and the game will load, and that worked amazingly enough.
I then played for about 3 hours and tried to play again today, and it wont work again. I get no black screen, just the BIOSHOCK picture in the middle of my desktop and my pc does nothing.

comp specs:

Amd opteron 180
2gb OCZ xtc ddr500
evga 8800 gtx
sound blaster x-fi fatality
windows vista home premium
ran both nvidia release driver and beta driver , currently using beta 163.44

Nali4Freedom
08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I have a retail copy of Bioshock. Whenever I try to start the game, the Bioshock splash screen comes up, and then windows says Bioshock.exe has encountered an error and needs to close. This happened when I tried to play the demo as well.

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
NVidia GeForce 8800GTX (with bioshock beta drivers)
2gb RAM
Windows XP home edition

Samtonia
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Whenever I start the game up, I get through the first loading screen just fine. I even can watch the short intro movie of the plane. Gets through the Bioshock logo just fine- and then the screen goes black and the game stops responding.

I've downloaded the latest drivers. I've disabled the Tablet PC service. I've turned off high-detail shaders. Nothing has worked.

PC Specifications
-Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit
-2046 MB RAM
-Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.80 Ghz
-NVIDIA GeForce8600M GT
-SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec
-Bioshock purchased at Target

GibMonkey
08-23-2007, 06:14 PM
A little follow-up...

I've been deleting the running.ini file to restore my bindings and such, and I have tried all the tweaks mentioned in the various posts on this board (shut down tablet service, disable themes, run as administrator) but have yet to try the memory tweak mentioned in the readme.... will do. Nothing I have tried so far has had an effect on my locking up issues. But I digress - after rebooting several times after freezing at the audio loop I have found that the system tends to freeze (4 outta 5) when a popup comes up after taking a picture that gets you a gene tonic of some sort. If I am quick and select stuff very rarely I can avoid the system lockup. I noticed this when I didn't have a lockup after some extended playing and making note of it only to freeze up after I took a picture of a houdini splicer in Arcadia. I'm not sure if it is just due to the tonic upgrade, or because of the interface that pops up itself but will update if I notice something. I've also noticed some wierd sound issues from time to time now - sounds replaying themselves from time to time (in a skipping fashion), but not ALL the time. This may be just a coincidence but my gut is telling me otherwise. Also, just for note, when I do freeze and reboot, delete the running.ini and start the game - a bar on the top and bottom showing corruption (kind of like SLI corruption - I am running SLI) shows the picture of the last thing I was looking at when it froze (just in the corrupted top and bottom bars). This is after a reboot of the system! How would it remember that? Once I get the the main menu screen all is fine again but I thought it might be of note for tracking down some of the bugs.

Good luck in finding out what is causing the issues! I'll post if I find any more info - but I may just be putting this down pretty soon as I'm pretty frustrated rebooting all the time. I may just wait and see if you've figured it out in the first patch you release. Thanks again for a killer game - I look forward to playing it with less bugs! :)

Last update, I was able to reproduce the problem by taking a picture of the Houdini splicer and getting the Chameleon tonic, three times in two different places. I know I've locked up in other places (can't remember if it was in some sort of menu for sure) but the lockup is the same (audio skip, requires a hard reset). Seems to be right at the part when you select which slot to put it in, not at the splash screen showing you aquired it. That's all I got for now - patiently waiting for the patch! :)

voiceofreason
08-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Graphics are completely broken and game is unplayable, I suspect I need to upgrade my graphics card.

radeon x800 128mb

can anyone confirm?

bryan carter
08-23-2007, 06:20 PM
no sound after the plane crash. vista 32 gf8500gt amd64 liveall latest drivers

Quixar
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Vista Home Premium
intel dual core2
2 gigs
Nvidia geforce 7900

Game installs and loads fine, but I can only play for random chunks of time before getting kicked to the desktop with the standard message. Does not seem to be any particular pattern to this, however if i reboot I can play for awhile (1-2 hours) before the crash. Then if I restart the game its seems random after that.

jcspin
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I have followed this all very closely. I have ran both the retail version and the steam version of the game on my pc. the retail version had some crashes, but the steam version does the game starts to load, shows the little bioshock logo then before going fullscreen it shows a message "bioshock.exe has stopped working"

I have done a lot of testing and i can get the game to start 1 out of 20 times if i am lucky. I believe issue the result of one of 2 options.

1) my computer is doing something unknown ot me which keeps the game from working most of the time, and sometimes i get lucky and catch it not doing whatever inhibits the game from starting(this is very unlikely)

2) some sort of authentication with the steam servers is causing the game to fail to start. It goes out to check if you are legit, bioshock gets stalled while it waits for a response, it doesnt happen or doesnt happen fast enough and boom. we get the error

I think option 2 is the most likely as option one should have caused me the problem when i had the retail box version. I asked this before but no one responded. Is anyone running the retail version of the game unable to even start the game, and getting the bioshock.exe has stopped working? I suspect it is just us steam users.

Osuperman
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Someone has probably already mentioned this but I cannot enable AntiAliasing, using new NVIDIA beta 163.44 international drivers :(

If I run game in DirectX9 mode, all the textures go to low detail (even when they are set to high detail in GFX options) changing this down to low detail then back up again to high detail results in a crash.

System specs:
Windows Vista 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
nVidia 8800 GTX
2 Gig ram
X-fi

voiceofreason
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a Radeon 9800 graphics card and minimum specs for the PC version are exactly what I have. I bought it off Steam. Basically I don't see a cursor at the options screen and after the movie and title screen I see some white blocks and huge black shapes, there is no discernable playing screen.

I have a similar problem. Graphics seem to be completely broken.

steam version.
Radeon x800 series 128mb (if I am not mistaken this meets min. requirements)

Thakog
08-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I can't load my saved games. It crashes to desktop anytime I try. Also, all of my keybinds and video setting have reset themselves anytime the game crashes.

My system specs are below. Note that I can run the game ok, I got halfway through Hephaestus on the day of release, and blasted through the entire game yesterday because I didn't think I'd be able to load. Still, I'd love to be able to save the game, since I won't really be able/willing to devote 10+ hours to replaying it again.

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
1024 ram
256 Geforce 7800 GS
Windows XP (Updated)
Updated Drivers

ByroniusMonk
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm having some serious sound issues. The sound cuts out and it seems to be bringing the framerate down. The sound problem is bad enough to make the game almost unplayable, without the framerate drop it seems to cause.

Like MesaRune, my sound hardware is the onboard Realtek. Here's my rig:

AMD 3500
2gb Ram
ATI 1900
Asus A8N-SLI mb w/ nforce 4
*onboard Realtek Sound
Vista Ultimate
retail copy of Bioshock

*user MesaRune described the same problem and this sound hardware, along with Vista are the only commonality between our systems.

The issue doesn't seem to be driver related. When I started troubleshooting, I discovered that I didn't even have driver for my sound hardware. I downloaded the most recent one on the nVidia web site, but it's a WinXP driver from '06. Installing it didn't change anything. I'm trying to download Realtek's Vista drivers, but their servers suck.

I also tried to run Bioshock in XP sp2 compatibility mode; no change there. None of the in-game sound settings seem to make any changes.

etherboy
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I have a similar problem. Graphics seem to be completely broken.

steam version.
Radeon x800 series 128mb (if I am not mistaken this meets min. requirements)

Neither of your cards meet the minimum requirement... sadly 2K mentions X1300 or better, but what they meant was Shader Model 3.0 cards...

Glaedrin
08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Glaedrin/Bioshockasdf.jpg

My Rig:
-Windows XP Pro
-AMD 4600+ 2.4Ghz AM2
-2Gb of DDR2 800Mhz RAM
-ATI Radeon X1900XT
-Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
-Retail

This happened without and with the ATI Beta drivers when Bloom lighting was enabled.

Glaedrin
08-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Don't mind the Censorship, don't want to give anything away

ByroniusMonk
08-23-2007, 06:44 PM
When I first run Bioshock it plays well. Within ten minutes I start taking a huge framerate hit.

When I first start playing my FPS are in the mid 60s to mid 70s which is just fine by me. Within ten minutes the FPS drop into the 20s & teens, even if I'm playing in the same area. If I get killed, or whatever it is, when I come out of the tank and just walk through the same area, enemies or not, my framerate is less than half! It isn't dependent on the dying tank scenario, I just used that to illustrate that I can be in the same spot I was a few minutes ago with a huge loss in FPS. What gives?

My rig:
ASUS A8N32 SLI - Deluxe
AMD 4200+ 64 X2 Dual/Zalman Heatsink
2GB (1x2) Corsair pc 3200, XMS/Platinum Heatspreaders
EVGA 7950 GX2, 512 MB
Raid 0, 2x250GB HDD WD Caviar 16 MB Cache
On-board Audio AC'97/Realtek, WDM drivers up to date
450 Watt Coolermaster TruBlu PSU
XP, SP2
nVidia Beta Drivers, updated bios & chipset drivers
1 80 GB sata drive running Ubuntu
1 80 GB ide for media
Hey ssbowers, do you get sound issues before your framerate drops? I have the same mb / sound hardware and after a few minutes of gameplay, I start to get sound stuttering which gets progressively worse, eventually dragging my frame rate very, very low.

-ByroniusMonk

RabidSmurf
PC Specifications
CPU: AMD X2 5600+
RAM: 2GB PC8500 OCZ
Video Card: nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS (163.44 beta drivers)
Sound: Soundmax (Came with crosshair mobo)
Sku: STEAM

Problem #1: Trying to launch the game results in a black screen and then "Bioshock.exe has stopped working" etc etc.. I have added -dx9 to the command line arguments and this allows the game to launch in directx 9 mode, and it seems to run fine. until......

Problem #2: While running in DX9 mode, anytime I try to save a game, access a vending machine, or hack a robot the game freezes completely solid, the sound however carries on.

Problem #3: Game seems to crash to desktop intermittently.

I have the latest nvidia beta drivers (patched for bioshock), have tried the previous drivers with many performance issues.

I have run other DX10 games such as Lost Planet, without any problems, so I can't see it being a problem with my computer.

Is there a patch on the way? or is there something on my end that I can do to resolve some of these problems?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

etherboy
Game crashes at second loading screen (ie. entering Rapture city via the Bathysphere) when High Detail shaders are enabled...

Skipping this load and turning High Detail shaders back on causes the game to crash a short time after...

Turning off High Detail shaders fixes this problem, but destroys a lot of the visual atmosphere for me... (no shiny textures :( )

Specs:
Intel C2D E6300
2GB OCZ DDR2-800
ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi/AP
XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB PCI-E Video card
320GB Seagata SATA2 HDD
480W Antec TrueBlue PSU
Windows XP SP2

etherboy
08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
edit: Retail collector's edition SKU

mountbike
08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi,

Demo ran fine for me. I have the retail version which worked perfect until i went to save. Hit F8 and froze. Had to Hard reset. when i tried to restart the game i would try to reconfig my controls or adjust brightness and the game would freeze. Now when i try to run the game i get the "bioshock.exe has encountered a problem".

Intel 3.4G Intel 915PBL mobo (no overclock)
1G Ram
Nvid 7800GT w/new beta drivers
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Win XP pro SP2

Buffalo
08-23-2007, 06:56 PM
My problems are the same as a lot of other people's.

- The game crashes every time I first descend to Rapture in the bathysphere; the loading screen comes up for a while, then the game crashes. This doesn't happen only when high quality shaders are turned off.

- If high quality shaders are turned on, the same thing happens when I load a savegame from the main menu. The loading screen comes up for a while then the game crashes.

- Once inside Rapture, the game crashes every 5-20 minutes or so. The crashes are random, not related to anything I can see. Usually I'm just walking around. This also may only be when high quality shaders are on, but I haven't tried it long enough with them off to say.

The game is pretty much unplayable now, so I hope there's a patch soon.

Graphics: NVidia GeForce 7800 GT
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D (nForce 4 chipset)
RAM: 1 GB
Steam version
Using the Bioshock beta drivers for the graphics card (163.44), using the latest non-beta drivers and BIOS for everything else. Nothing's overclocked.

M-O-S
08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
About time this thread made.

This is what I get when I try to play.

http://i17.tinypic.com/61le4q8.jpg

It occurs when I try to play in DX10 mode, as I click the new game > medium and as it loads up, it freezes, crashes to desktop.

It also occurs when I try to play in DX9 mode, but without freezing up, it loads successfully and I'm able to get in the game. Whenever I want to use a thing, click a map, or whatever, it crashes to desktop.

I've been able to find a way to play it without problems or crashing to desktop in only windowed mode, dx9. The crashing happened only once when I pressed map frequetenly.

I'm above system requirements and can be able to play without problems in other games, such as Company Of Heroes DX10 Demo.

M-O-S
08-23-2007, 07:01 PM
edit: retail version, bought it straight out of the store.

guvornator
08-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Gosh, this takes me back to 486s and the day when you really had to EARN the right to play really, really badly made software. Right, here goes.

Intel dual core e6400
2 gigs RAM
P965-T-A mother board
Nvidia 8800 GTS with latest driver
Creative X-Fi soundcard
Running Vista/XP dual boot. Useful if you want to compare and contrast...

Vista Problems
Basically, the installation just plain stops when it gets to "updating runtime components" i.e. after the autopatch has done it's thang. Waited 2 hours. Nothing. On second try I seemed to get it to a point where the game thought it had installed properly, but when I tried to load it it came up with an error message about the "side-to-side configeration" being "set incorrectly". Well, I thought, I've got Xp, no DX 10 bells and whistles but at least it might run...

XP Problems
Installed ok BUT generic "bioshock.exe has encountered a problem and has to close" after double-clicking start icon. Nice.

Thing is, have had no serious problems with any other game. Even old game running on Vista work ok, and when I say old, I mean Fallout 2 old. And it's not like Fallout 2 was even a well made game. Makes installing Half-Life 2 seem like childs play...

biofr3ak
08-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Could we get a "smooth mouse movement" setting as well? I hate the fact that the mouse movement is too quick that it stutters. Also, could we have a "blur edging" setting so the aliasing isn't so conspicuous? The 360 version has it, why not add it for the PC?

gcrombie
08-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Steam Version
Windows XP SP 2
Direct X 9.0C (5.3.2600.2180)
Tried both 162.18 and Beta 163.44 beta NForce drivers
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core
1 Gig RAM
MSI K8N Neo4/SLI (MS7100)
NVIDIA 7800 GT
Playing at 1024x768 high detail.

At random times, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after an hour the game freezes and either crashes to desktop or re-boots the pc, when it re-boots the "windows has recovered" dialog comes up and if you send the error it takes you to the microsoft support page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293078) with the following error.

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

where it recommends updating your driver (thanks, did that) or turning off hardware acceleration (yeah right).

Note the game runs smoothly, have some audio hiccups but other than the crashes, it runs fine. I also have Rainbow 6 Vegas (another Unreal engine title) and have had 0 problems with that. Yeah I realize totally different games but just throwing that out there.

ssbowers
08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey ssbowers, do you get sound issues before your framerate drops? I have the same mb / sound hardware and after a few minutes of gameplay, I start to get sound stuttering which gets progressively worse, eventually dragging my frame rate very, very low.

-ByroniusMonk

Hmm...No I don't. That's weird. I do get occasional CTDs where the game minimizes & pauses. That's happened only a handful of times though, maybe 5.

I just read Elizabeth's post asking for the sku, I Dl'd mine from Steam. How about you?

Deezul
08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Now I cant play AT ALL!
Fullscreen sends my monitor into sleep mode
Windowed pops up this error:
AppName: bioshock.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.0 ModName: bioshock.exe
ModVer: 1.0.0.0 Offset: 00274513

HELP!

p4 3ghz
2.5gb ram
7800gs OC with bioshock drivers
SB Xfi
XP Home

GithyankiJustice
08-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Let me get the technical details out of the way first:

Running on
P4C 3.2 GHz
i865 ICH5R Motherboard
2 Gig DDR 400 Ram
NVIDIA 6800GT
Creative Audigy 2ZS Platinum
Retail release of game

As for my issues, after having tried first the beta, last released, and finally several iterative modified driver sets, I finally accepted that the only way for me to consistently load past the Bathysphere transition was to disable advanced shaders.

That being said, I've experienced several seemingly random crashes to desk-top. Generally, this simply results in settings being deleted, and me being able to pick up from the last save.

However, last night, the game crashed randomly after being shot at in the foyer between Neptune and the medical wing. After that crash, I had to hard reboot. The game immediately crashed on reloading thereafter, and several times crashed in such a way as it locked my sound card output. That is, after the crash, I was getting no output from my sound card in 5.1 mode, to my 5.1 speakers. Changing the speaker configuration allowed me to output 2.1 or headphone sound to the same speakers, indicating it wasn't a speaker issue. Finally, after one more crash, the system refused to let me alter my speaker settings, necessitating a reinstall of the Creative drivers.

This evening, after that debacle was dealt with, I saved my game, left the menu on pause, and got up from my desk. I returned to witness the game no longer paused, a heavy combat going on, and my frame rate reduced to a slide show. Ultimately, I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of that situation, as the game, while technically responsive, was seemingly permanantly dropped to a single frame per second (or two). Since that 'crash' I've been unable to change the monitor or sound settings. Any time I load, change the settings, and hit apply, the game crashes to desktop. I can load, and even play, at the default 1024x768, but even trying to window this results in an immediate crash.

I'd reinstall, as I believe that might fix the issue, but...well guess what, I'm loathe to do that given the current DRM uncertainty. I could play the 'whack-a-mole' game of stripping out every individual driver file, setting, DX component, .NET framework file, etc, but seeing as this system plays gads of things quite well, despite its age, I'd rather not take the chance of crippling a perfectly stable environment for all the other games I'll likely be playing while waiting for a fix.

So, unless someone, maybe even someone that is being paid to do so, offers some helpful, reliable guidance, I guess I'm done monkeying with this game and will just tell everyone I know to stay away like the DVD is emitting hard radiation. This launch makes Oblivion's look like a well oiled machine.

Rowan11088
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
My only problem is Blue screen, restarting windows type crashes. Neptune's Bounty seems to cause them for some reason, I played fine through med. pavilion, but then got the BSOD the first 10 times i tried to use the bathysphere to get to neptune's bounty, and once I finally got through and didn't crash, just loading a save from there seems to crash me right after it loads, or after a minute or two. But I can load games from med. pavilion and play just fine.

Steam Version
Windows XP professional SP2 (fully updated)
Dell Latitude D620 Laptop, Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2 GHz
1 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 (also known as Quadro NVS 110m) running 16501 Forceware drivers (the highest number I could find)

I know the specs aren't great, perhaps not even minimum, but PLEASE keep in mind I've run the whole first area of the game absolutely fine, so don't dismiss my problem based on that. Plus, others are obviously having similar problems.

zylozeer
08-23-2007, 07:44 PM
*UPDATE sort of*
Problem: Looks like Video crash [screen fills with a ton of colorful pixels and sound loops until you reboot system].
Was: Hang/System Crash every 5-15 minutes
-------------------------
Now: Hang/System Crash ... after 1+ hours? plus possible system harm

ok so as I tried a few things and actually got like 1+ hours of play time in, I was about to come back and post what I had done (nothing special really), when my system crash/hung again but this time would not boot back up.

Thank god my striker extreme has a clear cmos button that resets everything on its hardware.

Long story short... my progression:
- Had 162.18 drivers + directX 9c installed (system hang after 5-15 min)
- installed 163.44 drivers + existing directX 9c drivers [that game install accepted] (system hang after 5-15 min still)
- went back to 162.18 (still hanging)
- went to www.microsoft.com/directx, got directX 9c again which had august '07 SDK optional install (who the hell updates software without changing version?? how about a 9d? (anyways, hang still happened)
- went back to 163.44 and re-installed new directX [which said already up-to-date] AND disconnected USB devices [think this has nothing to do with anything] (got 1+ hours of play)
- while playing 1+ hours contemplated coming on here with what i had done, system crashed
- system would not boot after that for 10+ minutes... reset motherboard, all better now I hope.

So, i'm now affraid to try playing again. I enjoyed the 1+ hours but the fact it about killed my system concerns me.

OH! One other possible variable in this mess... In all previous attempts I tried hard to keep a fresh save as I knew a crash was coming, and I had just entered Medical Pavilion when things started working, so it is possible it was that level that wasn't bugged like first. Additionally it was when I was about to leave that level when I crashed again.

Go 2K go! You guys rock! :|

-Z
------------------------
BioShock PC - Retail Version - BestBuy
Windows XP - completely updated
Quad Core QX6700
2GB DDR2 800 Corsair Dominator (3-4-3-9) (nVidia Suggested)
Asus Striker Extreme (nVidia Suggested)
nVidia 8800GTX
1KW PSU - PC Power & Cooling (nVidia Suggested)
*System built around Nvidia video card, their recommendations at time of build*

Weber21
08-23-2007, 07:46 PM
My biggest problem has been the 'bioshock.exe has stopped working" at the startup splash screen and have tried every user created 'fix' with no luck. Every once in a while the game does decide to load and in my limited play time, I've had sound crackling at the main menu and during the opening plane crash scene. The crackling isn't there during gameplay, but I do have a lot of stuttering/looping occurring during gameplay.

Lastly, I believe this may be a performance settings issue that I haven't been able to tweak enough, but sometimes my controls lag while in combat

In summary:
-'bioshock.exe has stopped working' crash
-Sound crackling at main menu/opening plane crash scene
-Sound stuttering during gameplay
-Controls lagging occassionally

Steam Version
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice Core Socket 939
2 gigs Corsair XMS Ram
GeForce 7800 GT Video Card
X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card

dk.time
08-23-2007, 07:51 PM
It sounds like all the sound issues are coming from people with Athlon64 cpu's across many sound cards.

bah!
08-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks Elizabeth.

I also agree with Viper FUD, it is REALLY annoying having to redo your settings. I could almost live with the regular game crashes if I didn't have to sit through all the splash screens (Got the fix for that now) and then have to go through and redo all my gfx and sound settings, then have to restart AGAIN to apply all the sound settings. :(

Anyway, I was having crashes that showed this error:

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/4496/probgx8.jpg

I found it is usually when I either try to use the electric plasmid, search a body, change weapons/plasmids quickly, or interact with a machine. These are just things that I remember happening more than once, other times it is just looking around and it crashes.

I am running:

Vista Home Prem 64
Q6600
Gigabyte GA-P35c-DS3R
2 gig Ram
XFX 8800GTX XXX
22" WS LCD 1680x1050
X-Fi Fatal1ty

I have tried:

Updating DX Webupdate
Uninstalling .22 drivers, cleaning out with Drivercleaner, then installing .44 BETA drivers
Shutting down all IM programs (MSN/Xfire)
Running Steam GCF cache verification
Deleting Clientregistry.blob to force update
Running in DX9
Running with/without VSync enabled

After all that, now instead of just giving me the error in the picture I put up there, it also follows through with a total system crash and Blue Screen.

The crashes can be from 5 minutes in frequency to 20 minutes, but I am still stuck in the Medical section, just past the demo, because I keep crashing and unless I save every 1-2 minutes, then I have to do it all over again.

For those who say oh, just save more often!, well that kinda ruins the atmosphere of the game don't you think? Move one step, save, move one step, save.....

I also have AVG, and have read of some issues relating to that, so I will try a restart with AVG delisted in Startup. If that fixes it, I will post back.

I have this exact issue, and from reading the boards it seems to be something to do with the Medical Center. I didn't crash at all with the demo, and didn't crash in the retail until the first vending machine in the Medical Center.

My system is almost identical to the one quoted. I'm using the steam version btw and have tried all of the above steps as well, with no luck.

So far it seems like everyone with this issue is using Vista/8800 video card combos.

Terb
08-23-2007, 07:58 PM
My problem is that every time i try to hack anything in the game, my computer has a bsod and does a hard crash and reboot, other than this point ive had no problems, ive already beaten the game once on normal, and now im going through on hard, im having all these problems and i cant figure out why. Btw, the game is amazing when it actually works correctly.

Specs:

Retail LE game with mint condition Big Daddy
Vista 64-bit Home Premium
4 GB of DDR2 800 RAM
Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz core 2 quad
Gigabyte P35-DS3P mobo
8800 GTS 320mb
20" widescreen Samsung HD monitor
640 GB HDD (320 x 2)

davun
08-23-2007, 08:20 PM
OK, I accidentally posted this in the 'PC Demo problems' thread ... here are my problems.

1. Game hangs, after 10-20 mins of play, and I can't bring up task manager. Requires hard reboot of computer.
2. Any attempt to save my current game causes identical hang, requiring hard reboot.
3. I am starting to get blue screens of death now, when a level tries to load. This occurs at the end of the load, presumably when the renderer starts up - nv4.dll is stated in the dump listing, which sounds like the nvidia beta driver.
4. Game never remembers my custom settings, which is annoying.

System configuration:

Dell XPS System ( 2003 )
Geforce 7600 GTS
2X Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
1gb ram
XP Professional
Retail version of Bioshock

bpd9116
08-23-2007, 08:20 PM
DXdiag output: http://pastebin.com/f6462ca9c

I seem to be running into all sorts of problems today, I'll just start listing them and any causes/workarounds I've figured out in case it helps others or helps diagnose the cause

1. DX10 Mode, fullscreen
Game freezes on fullscreen loading for levels
and during fullscreen saving if initiated from within the menu
freezes the same in both cases:
The text and yellow borders for the screen are just barely visible because it freezes while fading in
Only Bioshock freezes, not the whole system, so I can ctrl-alt-del out to the task manager and kill the Bioshock process
I've heard of several people having this issue, from what I've culled the linking factor may be the combination of Vista 32-Bit and an NVIDIA 8800 GTX, maybe, maybe not.
Workarounds:
Use DX 9 Mode
Start game windowed, load, then change to full screen, works fine. Just remember to go back to windowed when changing areas or saving.

2. Sound Issue 1
Snapping, intermittent static, pitter patter, whatever you want to call it. Happens all the time except the main menu (music could just be covering it) including load screens. Occurs in both DX 9 and DX 10 modes. Occurs regardless of EAX or speaker Mode. Doesn't seem linked to on screen action or complexity.
I have found no workarounds for this.
Note: This was not an issue to start with, the sound was perfect for a while, then I messed with Bioshock.ini in an attempt to fix the freezing bug/improve performance. This started the same time the crash on save issue began (see below, different from freeze on save)

A complete uninstall and reinstall did not fix this.

3. Sound Issue 2
Maybe an engine thing, maybe a sound driver thing, but very odd. I will do my best to describe it. When a sound source is directly in front of me I can not hear it. Sound sources can be water pouring, an enemy, a sparking control panel, plasmid and weapon usage. However I can hear things fine if they are beside me. e.g:
Medical Wing Surgery Area when you first enter there is a broken water pipe. If I stand at the door and face the pouring water I hear nothing, if I turn left 90 Degrees I hear it crystal clear, if I turn 90 degrees right I hear it crystal clear, if I face away I hear it slightly. But I can't hear a thing facing it, no matter how close.
More annoying than ambient noises like that are plasmid and weapon noises. If I stand still and use the electrobolt, turn my volume up all the way and strain my ears I can just barely hear the tail end of the sound effect. If I use it and turn quickly in either direction I can hear it. I can't hear the sound of the wrench hitting things at all.
No workaround, and I don't know when this began.

4. Crash on Save
DX 9 mode only. In DX 9 mode both windowed and fullscreen the game crashes to the error "Bioshock.exe has stopped working". This occurs the moment I click save in the menu and when an autosave takes place. No workaround.

5. Posters, signs, plaques, etc OR NPC models have extremely low resolution, blurry textures, never both at the same time.
Cause: I pinned this one down to forcing either AA or Aniso through nTune

Wake
08-23-2007, 08:22 PM
When the Auto Patcher loads up, I get the message "Cannot connect to download server. Please check your internet connection". Of course I'm connected to the internet X_X

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.4 ghz
2.4 gigs of RAM
Radeon x1600
Windows XP.

Same exact problem for me, and as of right now it IS STILL DOING IT, this is making me reach the end of my rope and is causing loads of frustration, ALL I WANNA DO IS PLAY THE DAMN GAME I PAID FOR. My respect for your company went from high to very very low in the matter of a day, it will be a long time before i even trust buying another game from this company.

ASUS a8n32
AMD 3700+
Evga Geforce 7900gt KO
1GB Cosair XMS
74GB Raptor HD, 320GB Seagate Barracuda
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
stuffed in a
Lian Li Pc-61
Tagan 480W PSU

Moontyger
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
The game crashes right after the movie intro to Rapture. I descend into the city, see all the pretty buildings and then it either crashes to desktop or the whole thing freezes (it has done both).

Spec:
Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2
Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB RAM
NVidia 7900 GS

Retail version of the game and just updated my drivers to try to fix this; no dice.

bluetiger20
08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
HI,

So..... all my stuff works in Bioshock. A couple crashes here and there, but nothing a reduced resolution cant fix. I suppose Im lucky.... looking at everyone elses issues who cant even play the game right.

But my issue is this: I have an HP Pavillion Notebook 8000t with a Realtek 7.1 Surround Sound with an SPDIF out. That output is connected to an external receiver which processes the digital signal and converts it to Sound from my speakers. This can be done say.... using a Pro Logic signal.

Bioshock has a Pro Logic output setting, but no matter what I do, Bioshock keeps producing a stereo signal for me.... not even a digital signal! what do i do to fix this?

Thanks,
~bluetiger20

sammael
08-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Hello just thought you developers should know that Wacom tablets are causing some problems in Vista, more details and a workaround here:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=137489

This fixes the issue with infinite loading on vista.

drakkheim
08-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Bioshock has encountered an error and needs to close.
Poof instant crash to desktop.

Every time I try to leave smugglers cove to go to arcadia.
Have tried several different save games even starting from before smugglers cove to no avail.

PC Specifications
-Operating System Windows XP Media Center
-Processor Type Core 2 duo 6600
-Amount of Ram 2gb corsair
-Video Card Manufacturer and Model Nvidia 7900gs latest Drivers *(non beta)
-Audio Card Sound blaster audigy
-Which Sku Steam

can provide savegames, dx diag etc just let me know.

delataur
08-23-2007, 09:00 PM
PC Specs:
- CPU: Core2Duo E6400
- RAM: 2GB DDR2
- video: eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
- audio card 1: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer
- audio card 2: Realtek "Azalia" onboard "HD audio"
(on motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3)
- SKU: Steam

I have heard two (three?) different phenomena where sound effects are truncated or cut in and out.

Issue 1:
After a few minutes of active play, ambient sounds tend to cut out when other things are going on. This is sometimes subtle, but I first really recognized this when, while wading through water, the nearby sounds of water rushing and a camera swiveling would only play intermittently. This also can occur if you jump, crouch, switch weapons or fire weapons while there is constant ambient sound nearby. A fairly obvious example is given in this video -- listen to the rushing water (esp. after about 21 seconds in) as I repeatedly crouch and fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yih3VWTDuSg
(to be spoiler-safe: this is in the third level, using weapon 4, though I'm essentially facing a corner)

With the X-Fi, I tried the latest released drivers on Creative's site, the latest ones available through Windows Update, as well as the most recent available beta drivers. I also fiddled with speaker settings (both in-game and out), the hardware acceleration slider in the Windows control panel, the reverb toggle, and numerous video settings for good measure. None of these helped. With EAX on, the glitch does NOT occur, but there are instead artifacts such as pops, buzzes and bits of hissing, as reported by others. Having exhausted options with the X-Fi, I switched to onboard audio and was unfortunately able to reproduce the glitch easily. I have yet to test the EAX toggle with onboard audio.

Reloading from a saved game does not fix the glitch but restarting Bioshock does... until I play for a few more minutes.

Issue 2:
If you tap the machine gun rather than holding down the trigger, sometimes the firing sound gets truncated. If you tap-tap-tap then hold, sometimes this causes the gun to fire silently. See this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oUDLu2F0dM
(again, this is in the third level)

In contrast to the above issue, this
- is independent of the EAX toggle (and all other settings),
- can be reproduced immediately upon loading Bioshock,
- can be reproduced in the Xbox 360 demo! (I don't know if Issue 1 can be reproduced on the 360.)

Also, this isn't a pathological setup since, e.g., tapping the fire button lessens recoil.

Issue 3?:
Sometimes during intense firefights it will seem like some firing, bullet-striking, or plasmid sounds are cutting in and out. This is very hard to test and I can't tell if it's related to either of the issues above.

I have had no sound stuttering, complete sound failures, or outright crashes as others have reported. For me, the surround sound is very effective and the audio immersion is excellent except for the issues above.

scottboy76
08-23-2007, 09:03 PM
I've downoaded my copy thru STEAM but it's not a STEAM issue because I posted a thread with the same issue yesterday but with the DEMO.
Now the FULL VERSION is doing the same thing.

When I load the game it comes up with a Vista Window saying "PARENTAL CONTROL ACCESS DENIED. THE GAME WILL NOW SHUT DOWN"

I received replies from ppl yesterday trying to help when they didn't even read my post all the way thru and didn't even know what Parental Control on Vista does.

What I have done so far:

1)Installed PC DEMO using Typical settings - This first of all gave me no option to add ICONS to desktop, nor did it tell me where it had installed it (had to find it in Explorer under 2Kgames folder. ALso on load of exe comes up with "Parental Control Access Denied"

2)Uninstalled and Re-Installed using Custom settings - This time it gave me option of adding ICONS, but still gave me "Parental Control Access Denied" error window.

3)Tried to change Parental Control settings in Control Panel, but as Administrator, Parental Control features don't apply... so technically I shouldn't be getting this error.

4)For the sake of trial and error I created a new user account so I could force the Parental Controls to turn OFF, still got "Parental Control Access Denied" error message

5)Gave up on DEMO

6)Tried loading the FULL VERSION I purchased thru STEAM and I got "Parental Control Access Denied" error message.

7)Proceeded to pull hair out...

edit
8)Have created extra profiles in VISTA, run steam in other profile as administrator and as standard user (with parental controls turned OFF) and have right clicked the bioshock.exe and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR in the various different profiles too, all come up with the same error message.

edit again
9) disabled UAC as recommended IrrationJake, already did that when I installed DEMO but gave it a try, didn't work.

10)Installed DUAL BOOT of my old WINDOWS XP x64, got latest drivers and directx9 and reloaded on steam and it worked, have been playing the game successfully for a little while now with no hitches...

ALTHOUGH I do resent the fact that I had to install a second copy of windows on my pc just for Bioshock, if I wanna play I have to shut down Vista and re-boot in XP to play. I would love an answer to my Parental Control Problem so I can run it under Vista and DIRECTX10...I did go and spend money upgrading so I could do that, it's only fair.

My Specs, not that I think they should matter in this case cos the game doesn't even load, but if I don't put them someone will ask...

Intel Core2 Duo E6850 @ Default 3Ghz
Nvidia 8800GTX running latest Beta Drivers
Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate
Directx10 and Directx9.0c installed

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COULD SOMEONE FROM 2K HELP!!!!!!!
thanks

Paravillintiniay
08-23-2007, 09:15 PM
There's not a whole lot 2K can do about this, but I'm just letting you know that you're going to have huge problems on your hands.

One of your developers promised in an interview that SM2 would be supported. I assumed that since the video card requirement said 128mb, and I have an x850xt (256mb) that I would be fine, especially considering that the developer said that SM2 was fine, and it would run.

So. It doesn't run.
Now I'm struggling with Best Buy to return it, because I just don't have $100 to cough up on an SM3 card that's not as good as my current card (excluding SM3).

If you're not going to support SM3, put that on the box. Don't put 3 different requirements, one of which I know I meet, so I don't read the others, only assuming if it only specifies 128mb, and I have that, I'm good.
Gamers will know what you mean if you write on the box, "128mb with SM3."

And then I wouldn't have wasted $50 bucks.
And I know there are other people in this situation.

schpack
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
um yeah the game crashed just before i entered the city turned my screen a light blue and i restarted it's still blue.. i had the beta drivers for bioshock from nvidia i tried downloading a different driver and it's still messed up
i have a geforce 7900 gs (agp) pentium 4 3.2 and 1 gb of ram what can i do to fix this?

i've tried system restore several times nothings worked i try to change the color manually nothing works ...

i'ts not overheating i just got the card yesterday and all my other games were working argh help!!!! Oh and i wonder because i downloaded the beta drivers for bioshock it could of caused the problem and if it is nobody should download that driver for it will mess your video card up!

My Specs:

Intel pentium 4 3.2 ghz
1gb ram (pass on brand name...)
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTS (agp)
windows xp

ReccaKun
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Specs:

Vista 32-bit Home Premium
4 GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
8800 GTX 768MB
ASUS DRW-1814BLT SCSI

Problem:

For some reason I can't install the game. I put in the DVD, and click install but nothing happens. I try to explore the DVD, but it shows that there are no files on it. I can't even read the ReadMe file when I click on that option. Any help is appreciated.

Shignami
08-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I made this into a thread, but i guess ill foolishly post it here for no one to ever see.

MY game crashes when i switch between plasmids and weapons, sometimes its the first time i try to switch, other times its not until ten minutes in. i kinda got it working for a while yesterday, but now in Olympus Heights, the problem has resurfaced.

heres the specs of the laptop im trying to play it on.

Nvidia Geforce 7900 graphics card ( i tried updating to the beta drivers, but i couldnt install any of them)
Intel t2500 Dual Core @2.0ghz each.
2Gigs ram.
Windows XP home edition.
Retail version of Bioshock.

mike213x
08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Error codes I recieved are below.

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, fault address 0x00017440.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 62 69 6f ure bio
0018: 73 68 6f 63 6b 2e 65 78 shock.ex
0020: 65 20 31 2e 30 2e 30 2e e 1.0.0.
0028: 30 20 69 6e 20 6d 73 76 0 in msv
0030: 63 72 38 30 2e 64 6c 6c cr80.dll
0038: 20 38 2e 30 2e 35 30 37 8.0.507
0040: 32 37 2e 37 36 32 20 61 27.762 a
0048: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 t offset
0050: 20 30 30 30 31 37 34 34 0001744
0058: 30 0d 0a 0..

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, fault address 0x00017440.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

My System Specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300@1.86GHz
1GB Ram
GeForce 7300 LE
Windows XP SP2

I get random crashes to the desktop if I click continue in the options menu and my computer will hard reboot if I load my saved game. Im also at the beginning of Neptunes Bounty if that helps anything. It always crahses/reboots at the first live big daddy there. Also the events logs in this post are from the 22nd. My computer has not recorded any errors since then...Im a little confused about that but whatever.

mhale85
08-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Hello,

My system contains the following:
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
AMD Athlon64 3000+
1GB RAM
NVidia Geforce 6800
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

I purchased the game on Steam and have not been able to load past the initial Bioshock logo. The bioshock.exe executable simply fails and Windows reports error code c0000005. The faulty module is steam.dll_unloaded. 2K tech support reports that I should uninstall and download the game again, a process which is in progress, but I don't hold much hope that it will fix the problem. I've already done that once.

I have not been able to load the game at all, although the Demo worked perfectly fine.

I look forward to a response that eventually leads the game to function.

mike213x
08-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Also Im playing at the lowest resolution with ALL other options set to low or off.
I have also updated my videocard driver to the 163.44 Beta ones should I revert back to 162.14 or whatever it was? I have also the latest Directx.

nefilim242
08-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Hello just thought you developers should know that Wacom tablets are causing some problems in Vista, more details and a workaround here:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=137489

This fixes the issue with infinite loading on vista.

I can attest to this fix. ;) After disabling the "Tablet PC Input Service" in Vista and setting it to manual, I was able to run the game in DX10 without the infinite loading bug.

I'm not sure if this is related to some of the other crashes that I and some other people have been experiencing but I'm gonna start a new game and see how the stability of the game is with this service turned off/set to manual.

-N

carlangas828
08-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi, I purchased the game through Steam. I launch the game and a few secs after the BioShock logo appears on my screen I get the dreaded “Bioshock.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience.” message. I’ve tried updating drivers. I’ve Run “Selected Startup” with Msconfig. What else I can do I don’t know.
Ok so my specs are:
XP pro 32-bit version 2002 SP2
Intel Duo Core 2 6700 @ 2.66Ghz
2 GB RAM
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
NVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 – SLI 2x512 – Dual screens 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 1040
Tried both Drivers 168.18 and Beta 163.44 @ Nvidia.com
X-Fi Sound Blaster Platinum – Latest Drivers 2-09-0007 @ Creative.com
I’m using a Plantronics GameCom Pro1 USB headset, which comes with its own sound card.
By all means this should work.
Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

kiori0
08-23-2007, 10:00 PM
k, so im sure the problem is on here hundreds of times, but i still keep getting the bioshock.exe has stopped working. windows is looking for a solution. and then it closes.
Specs
Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 1.66ghz(yeah, i know, kinda low)
2 gigs of ram
intel intigrated gfx card
Vista 32

i am running this on a laptop(for now) but i i expect crappy gfx, because of my card, but i cant get passed the open Bioshock sign which is really pissing me off, been working on it for like 3 days and tried everything in the forum

oh, i bought it retail

Muk
08-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I have to keep inputting my keyboard controls every time I start the game. Also, why did you hard code the default keys and not use the currently selected keyboard? I use DVORAK, and unlike most games which automatically compensate, Bioshock keeps setting it back to WASD.

Specs: Vista32, 8800gtx, 2gb ram, e6420

I'm horribly disappointed with such an unfinished game.

Nyc5527
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a P4, 3.0 ghz, 7800 GS and 1.5 Gigs of Ram. I updated all my drivers but when I load the game it flickers and stutters. I can ignore that and jump right into the game though. Once I am playing the game runs smooth for the most part. The only problems I have is when I access a vendiing machine or hack a bot and play the mini-game. Every time I do this my screen freezes up and makes weird sounds. It either crashes completely and restarts my computer or it stays frozen and I have to hit the Windows key to go to desktop. Once at desktop I click back to Bioshock and then I can usually play the mini-game or purchase items. Sometimes I have to do this a few times before completing whatever I am trying to do.

OO Agent
08-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Game Crashes with EAX on.

the splash screen stops responding when i try to boot up the game with EAX enabled. i have a new X-Fi card with the updated driver, so it should be a problem. so im forced to manually end the process in the Task Manager. and when i restart the game goes to default...everything (video, sound, controls...)

someone on another forum said he installed divers on his Audigy that were several years old, and it worked (had same problem as me, just different card)

Also, im running XP now, but i initially installed Bioshock for Vista Business x64. the game's performance didnt run well, and the sound was studdering and skipping/ticking all over. it was unplayable, maybe its the drivers though (updated with the new nvidia betas however) yet it runs perfectly on XP with great performace and sound. (except for this EAX problem)

my specs are:
Athlon 64 3500+
2GB RAM
6800Ultra
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Windows XP SP2, Vista Business x64
Retail copy of Bioshock

Wraithfighter
08-23-2007, 10:35 PM
This has happened to me a few times so far, and boy is it annoying.

Specs:
Windows XP Service Pack 2
1.86 Core 2 Duo Processor
1 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce 7600 GS
Sound Card Unknown (came with MB...)
SKU: Steam

So, I'm playing the game, and I get to a save point. It saves (like on load in the first real level), and I keep playing.

Now, one of two things happens: Either I quit the game or the game crashes. Usually the latter, it happens, need more air-flow in my comp, it's a hot day. However, for some reason, after the comp crashes and reboots, whenever I try to load the saved game, the computer freezes up and requires a restart.

However, if I merely quit the game, Bioshock successfully loads the save.

So far, I've tested this and it happens in both auto and quick saves. I can, however, start a new game, and it will save normally and I can load it normally, assuming I don't crash again.

Also, I just noticed that, after playing the game for a few hours today and creating a few quick saves before it crashed, the game forgot about their existence entirely, only showing yesterday's game saves, including the quick-save which SHOULD have been overwriten by my quick-saves.

Now, a kludge I could perform in the meantime would be to copy my saved games to an external source, but, as you can imagine, that's not nearly an optimal solution.

You really should have tested for something like this. Beta's exist for a reason, people.

coffeenebula
08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi, Elizabeth, thanks for asking!

I am using a Logitech G5 laser mouse. No matter what I set the DPI at, the responsiveness is laggy in the extreme. After I picked up my wrench, I went up the stairs and damn near got hit by that flaming bulkhead, then almost got killed by crazy dude because I couldn't see where he was--I'd swing, he'd move, then the frame would catch up. I just kept hitting the mouse button and he went down, but I saved and exited because the stuttery visibility was bad for my nerves.

--In Default.ini, I have set just about every mouse command as False--capture mouse, reduce mouse lag (didn't work on true, so figured why not), double buffer, etc.
--Disabled VSync.
--Cannot find way to alter 'max frames rendered ahead' as suggested by some other users.
--Turned off shadows and something else I cannot recall in an effort to boost performance. Nada.
--Set mouse sensitivity to 2, but not sure it stayed there again.
--Custom graphics, sound, mouse, and keyboard settings keep resetting, not saving.

-------
SPECS:
Bioshock: retail package from Amazon, installed from CD on day of release (with no problem, you'll be happy to know)

PC is mostly still a Dell Dimension 4700, so it won't say the type of mobo

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6344 (current drivers installed with Bioshock, but I'm tempted to roll them back and see if the old .9147 works better)

Sound Device Description: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [DC80]

trek554
08-23-2007, 10:43 PM
k, so im sure the problem is on here hundreds of times, but i still keep getting the bioshock.exe has stopped working. windows is looking for a solution. and then it closes.
Specs
Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 1.66ghz(yeah, i know, kinda low)
2 gigs of ram
intel intigrated gfx card
Vista 32

i am running this on a laptop(for now) but i i expect crappy gfx, because of my card, but i cant get passed the open Bioshock sign which is really pissing me off, been working on it for like 3 days and tried everything in the forum

oh, i bought it retailare you kidding? your graphics arent even close to the minimum requirements to play the game. no soup for you :p

carlangas828
08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi, I purchased the game through Steam. I launch the game and a few secs after the BioShock logo appears on my screen I get the dreaded “Bioshock.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience.” message. I’ve tried updating drivers. I’ve Run “Selected Startup” with Msconfig. What else I can do I don’t know.
Ok so my specs are:
XP pro 32-bit version 2002 SP2
Intel Duo Core 2 6700 @ 2.66Ghz
2 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 – SLI 2x512 – Dual screens 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 1040
Tried both Drivers 168.18 and Beta 163.44 @ Nvidia.com
X-Fi Sound Blaster Platinum – Latest Drivers 2-09-0007 @ Creative.com
I’m using a Plantronics GameCom Pro1 USB headset, which comes with its own sound card.
By all means this should work.
Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

killerd
08-23-2007, 11:09 PM
i have had problems with direct x10 not activating even thou i have vista and newst version of dx10 and i have a geforce 8600 gt wich is dx10 but bio shok wont let me turn on dx10,and other problem i have is the 3d modles characters and objects wont render the skins of any thing. thats if i can get the game to run some reason i cant open bioshock through the shortcuts only if i take out cd and put it back in then it will work very wierd stuff

thx for help

LordKane
08-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Error codes I recieved are below.

My System Specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300@1.86GHz
1GB Ram
GeForce 7300 LE
Windows XP SP2

I get random crashes to the desktop if I click continue in the options menu and my computer will hard reboot if I load my saved game. Im also at the beginning of Neptunes Bounty if that helps anything. It always crahses/reboots at the first live big daddy there. Also the events logs in this post are from the 22nd. My computer has not recorded any errors since then...Im a little confused about that but whatever.

First of all, specs

Windows XP SP2

Intel Pentium 3.40ghz

1 GB RAM

Realtek HD Soundcard (yes somewhat crap but it works)

Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 128 MB using the 163.44 Beta Drivers

And DirectX updated to the August 2007 Redist

Bioshock SKU: Limited Collectors Edition Retail (PC Obviously)

I have a similar problem to Mike213x I get the exact same windows error

"Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, fault address 0x00017440.

Yes, I decided to only include on crash instance in my event log, since they are all the same.

But major differences, first my crash occurs either at random, I can't even get into "Welcome to Rapture" or it will crash when I try to enter "Medical Pavillion" but now she will often load properly on Welcome to Rapture since I decided to Reformat windows, but turning of High Detail Shaders, seems to have stopped the crashing for now, I also have turned of High Detail Post Processing and other features that I know impact my framerate, but since it appears my problem also affects people with better cards then me, I hope that the new patch coming up fixes this problem and I hope I provided enough helpful information.

-Lord_Kane

Bimkoblerutso
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Okay. I got as far as Arcadia in the game and I did have the occassional crash which I could overlook (because the game is so, so good), but now I simply can't play. I can get into the game, adjust settings, all that jazz, but when I try to load my game now, I get a flash of a blue screen, some messed up, rapidly repeating sounds and finally my desktop.

I have a modest setup (a single core AMD64 3700, dual 7600gt's SLi enabled, and a gig of Corsair PC3200), but I know that's not the problem because it does this regardless of the settings.

I also had trouble with installation and activation like almost everyone else. First, I had to install the game three times because after it had loaded the ENTIRE GAME it gave me a notice that I needed to have the original dvd to play the game, like I was trying to install some illegal copy of the game. Then of course I had the activation problems that I won't get into because they were the same as everyone elses.

It's really frustrating because it seems as though you guys won't be releasing a patch for this stuff anytime soon (of course we're getting a widescreen patch, which should be near the bottom of the priorities list in a patch if you ask me), and I can't exchange the game for the 360 version because of Best Buys retarded software policies.

...anyway, just thought I'd see if I could get any help here.

KelsieKatt
08-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Everytime a new level loads the sounds stop playing entirely and I have to quit to windows, start the game up again and load the autosave, then the sound works until I go to another loading screen. I also occasionally will get mild static/feedback/popping noises from the sound, only had it happen about 4 times for a few seconds in the 15+ hours I've played.

Windows XP SP2
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 320MB
AMD 64 3000+ @ ~2Ghz
2GB DDR400
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS in 7.1 Surround mode with EAX + Reverb

KelsieKatt
08-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Everytime a new level loads the sounds stop playing entirely and I have to quit to windows, start the game up again and load the autosave, then the sound works until I go to another loading screen. I also occasionally will get mild static/feedback/popping noises from the sound, only had it happen about 4 times for a few seconds in the 15+ hours I've played.

Windows XP SP2
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 320MB
AMD 64 3000+ @ ~2Ghz
2GB DDR400
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS in 7.1 Surround mode with EAX + Reverb

Sorry forgot, retail box.

Dead Cowboy
08-23-2007, 11:28 PM
System:
Vista 32Bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz
2.0GB Ram
NVidia GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Retail
Problem:
I have a problem that is similar to a couple previous posts in this thread. First I had a problem loading the Medical Pavilion level where the game would crash during the loading process. After trying to load the level of times this problem disappeared. However my current problem occurs whenever I try to interact with any of the objects in the Medical Pavilion. I have no problem searching objects but when I try to access the vending machine or listen to the audio recording the game freezes. When it freezes you can still hear the ambient sound effects going on in the background but everything else is locked out. However I am able to access the task manager and end the program. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that did not solve the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

stegad
08-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Dell XPS Gen 5 - XP Pro
2 GB Ram
GeForce 8600 GT
Using NVIDIA 163.44 Beta XP Pro
Latest DirectX

I have the Steam version of BioShock. The game hangs when it loads the level after entering the sub after the plane crash. It just sits on the loading screen forever. Task manager says the application has stopped responding. I called 2K support - updated all relevant drivers, then deleted and reinstalled the game. Still doesn't work.

This is frustrating. I expected to play this game to relax after work. Instead, I'm digging through hard to find support documents, forums and other junk on the internet just so I can get a product I purchased to operate as intended.

I've tried many of the "fixes" posted here and none of them work for me. Including disabling basically everything except explorer.exe and the game - and it's patently ridiculous that I should have to put my PC at risk with a broadband connection without a firewall, anti-spyware or anti-virus running just so I can play BioShock.

This was an extremely disappointing experience. I doubt I'd buy another game from 2k.

I know time is money, but when trying to decide between Quick and Right, please go with the latter.

Thank you.

Khilona
08-23-2007, 11:39 PM
My game crashes randomly every 3-4 minutes. I have noticed that this happens most often when I am moving fast from one place to another. i just get the BSOD with the message "Bad_Pool" or something like that.
Also, if the game crashes while I am trying to quicksave the game, I end up having to play the whole level again.
I updated to the latest drivers from the laptopvideo. The crashes haven't stopped

Microsoft Vista Home premium
AMD Turion 2ghz 64 bit
2GB Ram
Geforce Go 7900 GS (512 MB Ram)
Internal Audio Card
Retail Box of Bioshock

xpolicy
08-23-2007, 11:39 PM
My game which for the most part runs just fine but I have two problems.

1.) Random crashes/lock ups. Doesn't matter where I'm at in action or not in action it will lock up to the point where I must restart my computer.

2.) My graphic settings are never saved. Every time I start the game up I must first set my settings for graphics. It doesn't matter if it crashes or not.

My Computer
Vista
2gigs Ram
1.83ghz dual core
6800go
(Not the best specs but some how runs at medium with 30 fps)

Game through Steam

Great game if we can fix the crashes. I have put about 3 hours into the game and have had about 10 crashes. F8 is now my best friend.

W123
08-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Here's my error log thing from the administrative options under windows XP, I don't know if it helps or not. Each message is a different occasion that it has crashed. It will always crash, maybe 20 or 30 minutes I'll be able to play. Have tried lowering gfx settings too. Have a 3800+ AMD X2, 7900 GT, Asus A8N-e, 2GB ram, it runs pretty smoothly when it's not crashing. At first I thought it was my creative labs SBlaster so I took it out and used AC97 onboard sound instead but it didn't help.

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, fault address 0x0001390c.

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module d3d9.dll, version 5.3.2600.2180, fault address 0x0004f5e0.

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00540030.

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module d3d9.dll, version 5.3.2600.2180, fault address 0x000a5910.

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, fault address 0x005513ec.

bpd9116
08-23-2007, 11:48 PM
DXdiag output(includes specs): http://pastebin.com/f6462ca9c

Ok I managed to fix the DX 10 fullscreen freeze on load, it was apparently the tablet input device service, stopping it allows the game to load. I assume saving still crashes in DX 9, but I really don't care now.
But I still have 2 issues that KILL immersion completely.

Short Version:
Sputtery sound as well as a complete inability to hear things directly in front of me.

Long version:
1. Sound Issue 1
Snapping, intermittent static, pitter patter, whatever you want to call it. Happens all the time except the main menu (music could just be covering it) including load screens. Occurs in both DX 9 and DX 10 modes. Occurs regardless of EAX or speaker Mode. Doesn't seem linked to on screen action or complexity.
I have found no workarounds for this.
Note: This was not an issue to start with, the sound was perfect for a while, then I messed with Bioshock.ini in an attempt to fix the freezing bug/improve performance. This started the same time the crash on save issue began (see below, different from freeze on save)

A complete uninstall and reinstall did not fix this.

2. Sound Issue 2
Maybe an engine thing, maybe a sound driver thing, but very odd. I will do my best to describe it. When a sound source is directly in front of me I can not hear it. Sound sources can be water pouring, an enemy, a sparking control panel, plasmid and weapon usage. However I can hear things fine if they are beside me. e.g:
Medical Wing Surgery Area when you first enter there is a broken water pipe. If I stand at the door and face the pouring water I hear nothing, if I turn left 90 Degrees I hear it crystal clear, if I turn 90 degrees right I hear it crystal clear, if I face away I hear it slightly. But I can't hear a thing facing it, no matter how close.
More annoying than ambient noises like that are plasmid and weapon noises. If I stand still and use the electrobolt, turn my volume up all the way and strain my ears I can just barely hear the tail end of the sound effect. If I use it and turn quickly in either direction I can hear it. I can't hear the sound of the wrench hitting things at all.
No workaround, and I don't know when this began.

stevenjd
08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Running good so far, only 2 problems...

1.) When I installed this game, it didn't make any shortcuts to the start menu/or desktop.

2.) When I adjust my volume the game goes to windowed mode/when I alt+tab out of the game it also stays in windowed mode until I change the resolution in the game options.

PC specs:
Athlon 64 X2 5200+
2GB RAM
8600GT
500GB SATA-II HDD

ezra
08-24-2007, 12:23 AM
There shouldnt be any problems , dont sell games if u dont know what you are doing , i know u ripped me off even though you might not think so , but my time isnt free so please dont waste it. next i ill be sure to pirate the game and save the trouble.

Iamchokingonmyownragehere
08-24-2007, 12:24 AM
If I am loading a game with specular lighting enabled, it will freeze, sometimes it will CTD, however the majority of the time it requires a hard restart. If I disable High Detail Shaders, then enable them after a game is loaded, I experience an Nvidia infinite loop error and have to restart.

AMD Athlon X2 4200+ @ 2.2ghz with the dual core fix in the Bioshock DVD
Evga GeForce 8800 gts 640mb @ stock or 600/975 mhz with FW 163.44
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, BIOS 2.10
OCZ pc3200 Performance Rev. 3, 2x512mb's @ 2-3-3-10 1T, 200:133
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 200GB PATA-133
OCZ Powerstream 520 watt psu
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
Samsung SyncMaster 913V II

Bokishi
08-24-2007, 12:27 AM
In-game menus randomly freeze the game and cause system reboot when SLI is enabled.

Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 @ 3.4 GHz
2x 8800 GTX SLI
SB X-fi Platinum
4GB RAM
Windows Vista x64

WolfpupNX
08-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Posted before about msvcr80.dll crashes at full screen with demo on level 2 load:

P4 2.6 GHz Northwood (400 MHz FSB)
1 GB RAM
GeForce 6800 Ultra vid card (BioShock recommended nVidia BETA drivers)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Windows XP SP2

Just tried something else - tried starting with a fresh boot and disabling pretty much EVERY nonessential background program (using Task Manger). So it shouldn't be anything third party.

kirisute
08-24-2007, 12:33 AM
haviong fixed the "vista loading in fullscreen issue" by disabling the tablet input service...i can run the game...
problems:
having to enable EAX to get Realtek onboard sound to work
Random crashing when picking up/accessing items that bring new screen up: ie plasmids, hacking

game can run fine for a good while..then ill try to hack or pick something up and BAM...complete freeze and shut down...with "video driver has stopped responding message"

tried latest nvidia beta drivers...tried reverting to previous drivers....

intel core2duo e6300
2 gig drr2 ram dual mode
geforce 8600gts
all latest dx updates
asrock dual vsta motherboard

LukeManv2
08-24-2007, 12:50 AM
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7203

Anti-Aliasing.

Dethanos
08-24-2007, 01:03 AM
quick point i had the stuttering sound problem but i got it kind of sorted by downloading the latest rc'97 drivers again there is a 6243 version or something like that avaliable on there site which helps.

but does not cure the problem entirly

TFR2k
08-24-2007, 01:04 AM
A few other people have already reported it but I will report it as well so I can be added to the list.

C2D E6600, 8800GTX, 2GB RAM, Asus P5B Deluxe, original Audigy 2, Vista 32-bit. All drivers up to date, with Nvidia 163.44 special Bioshock beta drivers, and latest Audigy 2 drivers from Creative site.

I am also having the problem where the sound randomly just quits working after playing awhile. Often it occurs after I've played for at least an hour, and usually it occurs when loading a level though a couple of times it has just quit in the middle of a level. What is strange is that when I go to a hacking screen I hear very muffled distorted versions of some sounds, and occasionally it makes a very soft squawk or hiss which sounds like it's trying to make sound but failing. I have to quit the game all the way back to Windows and restart it to get sound back. If I only quit to the menu screen, the menu background ambient music plays, but if I reload the game without quitting all the way to Windows, there is still no sound.

cybernetic barry
08-24-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm playing the steam version. I just got up to, well let's say there's a speech and a big explanation... except I had to turn on subtitles to find out what it was. And now all the little sisters in the world are mutes all of a sudden, the only non-radio or -recording voices I can hear in the game world are from splicers, and I don't think all of those are playing. I used to be able to hear little sisters, and I haven't re-installed or changed anything. An example, when you save a little sister she no longer 'audibly' says no, no etc.

System is Athlon64 3800+
2GB RAM
Sparkle 7950GT 512MB
Audigy 2 ZS
Asus A8V-E mobo

stadisticado
08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+
EVGA 7800 GT
2 GB DDR 3200 Ram
SB Audigy (original) sound card
Vista Business x64

I am running the Steam version of the game.

I am having the 'bioshock.exe has stopped responding' error. Also, with the error, I always get an info bubble that tells me that Data Execution Prevention killed the program.

Solutions I have attempted:

1. Update video drivers to 163.44 (still running these
2. Update Direct X
3. Download the demo to get the redist from there (demo works great with no tweaking btw)
4. Update sound drivers
5. Uninstall/reinstall bioshock, steam, the C++ package that gets installed...pretty much everything thats related to the game
6. Running as admin, using the '-dx9' switch, disabling visual themes, running in XP compatibility mode
7. Verifying the cache files in steam
8. Turning off DEP via the command line (still says DEP is stopping the app??)

The game will typically run once on a fresh install or reboot. However, when it does run it tends to crash after about 20-30 mins. Also, the sound crackles and is distorted to varying degrees when the game runs. After running once, the game will display the dreaded 'bioshock.exe has stopped...' error before the splash screen even displays.

Event log appears to have the same error virtually every time this happens:

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x46b7d7a9, faulting module Steam.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4682d386, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x201fca7e, process id 0x7f8, application start time 0x01c7e6218e7ed8b7

Hex codes for fault offset, process id and (obviously) time stamps change but the rest is generally the same. So, at least in my case, Steam.dll_unloaded appears to be the culprit.

Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this?

gary285
08-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread.

I experience between 20 and 40 minutes of very high quality gameplay followed by a crash to windows with the "bioshock.exe has stopped working" message. I've tooled around with resolution and graphics settings, but running at the highest settings has the same ultimate problem as lower quality configurations. My system specs are:

-Vista Home Premium 64 bit
-C2D 2.00GHz (Santa Rosa)
-3 GB RAM
-GeForce Go 7950 GTX
-RealTek Audio
-Retail version of game

I've reinstalled DirectX 9c and updated my drivers (not using beta drivers because they don't appear to cover the 'Go' cards). Setting my Nvidia control panel to 'Performance' over 'Quality' seems to have prolonged my ability to play, but it could just be coincidental.

It's a great game from what I can tell, but it's a shame that these problems crop up to ruin a potentially awesome immersive experience.

HanFred
08-24-2007, 01:18 AM
one crash so far. nothing exceptional i guess.
i'm playing in Windows XP since i've got serious problems with Vista anyway (not related to this game in particular - the nvlddmkm-issue).
sorry for german language, but that's my operating system.

Ereignistyp: Fehler
Ereignisquelle: Application Error
Ereigniskategorie: Keine
Ereigniskennung: 1000
Datum: 23.08.2007
Zeit: 17:48:31
Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
Computer: *censored*
Beschreibung:
Fehlgeschlagene Anwendung bioshock.exe, Version 1.0.0.0, fehlgeschlagenes Modul unknown, Version 0.0.0.0, Fehleradresse 0x3f010000.

Weitere Informationen über die Hilfe- und Supportdienste erhalten Sie unter http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Daten:
0028: 30 20 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 0 in unk
0030: 6e 6f 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 nown 0.0
0038: 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 .0.0 at
0040: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 33 offset 3
0048: 66 30 31 30 30 30 30 0d f010000.
0050: 0a .

trek554
08-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread.

I experience between 20 and 40 minutes of very high quality gameplay followed by a crash to windows with the "bioshock.exe has stopped working" message. I've tooled around with resolution and graphics settings, but running at the highest settings has the same ultimate problem as lower quality configurations. My system specs are:

-Vista Home Premium 64 bit
-C2D 2.00GHz (Santa Rosa)
-3 GB RAM
-GeForce Go 7950 GTX
-RealTek Audio
-Retail version of game

I've reinstalled DirectX 9c and updated my drivers (not using beta drivers because they don't appear to cover the 'Go' cards). Setting my Nvidia control panel to 'Performance' over 'Quality' seems to have prolonged my ability to play, but it could just be coincidental.

It's a great game from what I can tell, but it's a shame that these problems crop up to ruin a potentially awesome immersive experience.you people with laptops are driving me nuts. go here to get the beta drivers for your notebook http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

yogibbear
08-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Okay my problem... basically I think what it is, is everytime the game tries to load a new level I get a fatal crash to desktop...(and this is in the FULL GAME, I didn't get these problems in the demo)

E.g. #1: when you ride the blathysphere up and you get the loading screen = CRASH.

E.g #2: when you enter the medical pavillion

System:

XP 32bit
P4 3.6gHz
7950gt --> 163.44 drivers
2gb ram

merseymal
08-24-2007, 01:57 AM
XP4000+, 3GB RAM, Audigy 2ZS, two 256MB Geforce 6800GT SLi running at 1024x768 with everything set to low except and textures tried at high & medium (in addition to Low) and force global lighting which is kept off

Shortly after killing the first enemy it freezes the computer

merseymal
08-24-2007, 01:59 AM
XP4000+, 3GB RAM, Audigy 2ZS, two 256MB Geforce 6800GT SLi running at 1024x768 with everything set to low except and textures tried at high & medium (in addition to Low) and force global lighting which is kept off

Shortly after killing the first enemy it freezes the computer

oh forgot full retail version and beta drivers - didn't have this problem with demo and current stable released drivers

XStatic
08-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Audio Stuttering Problem.

Specs:
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core
4GB PNY DDR2 800Mhz
Palit 8800GTX 768MB @ Stock Timings
BFG Nforce 680i Chipset Mobo (w/ Onboard Audio in use)
Thermaltake ToughPower 850W PSU
Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit

Bioshock Retail (purchased from EBGames in Australia)

I'm having problems with my audio stuttering quite badly in bioshock, it does it at the menu when i hit new game, and during gameplay, but not with the background music or cutscenes.

Help!

draconic
08-24-2007, 02:48 AM
i installed and activated fine, but the game crashes on the nvidia logo movie. the beta drivers didn't help. :mad:

specs:
nvidia 7800gtx, athlon 4000+ 2.40ghz, 2gb ram, realtek ac'97 audio.

draconic
08-24-2007, 02:49 AM
oh and i'm running xp s.pack 2 and the retail standard edition.

midnight sun
08-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Game installs, downloads the patch fine but when I choose "Play" when Autoplay begins the disk, nothing happens. No activation prompt, no process in Task Manager.

Retail Collectors Edition PCDVD

Windows Vista Home Basic (6.0 Build 6000)
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 64 6000+
2GB Ram
DirectX 10 (updated driver)
8800 GTS Inno3d Overclock 320mb (updated driver)
Vista rating of 5.4

reader_64
08-24-2007, 03:09 AM
so far the game has worked fine but every time i get to dr langfords office in the arcadia level the safe doesnt have anything in it sometimes it wont open even though using the correct code ive just looked a fair number of other australina gamers have had this problem as its very bad as we cant continue without the contents of the safe

any help would be good

Holle
08-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Spec`s: Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_ldr.070627-1500)
Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: GJ330AA-UUW m8156.sc
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1193MB used, 5131MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_034E1043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1776 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.6344 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/17/2007 16:23:00, 5058560 bytes

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Kaiuttimet (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A58&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHDA.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5464 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 8/10/2007 13:49:16, 1941848 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Realtek HDMI Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A58&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHDA.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5464 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 8/10/2007 13:49:16, 1941848 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

OK. Sorry for the long post.

So, my problems is that when the plane crashes in to the water and the BioShock logo comes in, sounds just fade away and never come back. In the start menu everything is ok, but a soon as the plane crashes (yes, I can hear the man speking) and actual game is supposed to start, i have no sounds! What`s that all about??

ashley800
08-24-2007, 03:40 AM
hi plz help me

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Hard Drive: 112 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
Monitor: Default Monitor
Sound Card: SigmaTel Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050329-1536)

my problem is i get 2 second loading screen and i crash 1nce i got past loading screen (not crashing whooooooooooo) then i crashed 2 seconds after plz help me

Lyrics
08-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Game crashed just fater the loading screen when entering the 2nd lvl, "medical" :(

c2d E6420@2,66ghz
2gb kingston hyperX memory 800mhz
7900gt 512mb
nvidia beta drivers
win xp pro 32bit

Lyrics
08-24-2007, 04:06 AM
damn, no edit button.... forgot to mention that im running on service pack 3

ashley800
08-24-2007, 04:08 AM
Game crashed just fater the loading screen when entering the 2nd lvl, "medical" :(

c2d E6420@2,66ghz
7900gt 512mb
nvidia beta drivers
win xp pro 32bit

i have same problem m8

FreakyJP
08-24-2007, 04:12 AM
My game crashes everytime I get out of the loadong screen after the bathysphere arrives in Rapture.

Acer Aspire 9510 notebook
Intel Core Duo T2250 1730 MHz
1024 MB DDR II RAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 512 MB

I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card from the Acer site (v84.83)

I could also run the demo without any problems

PayJay
08-24-2007, 04:18 AM
My System :
Athlon xp 3000+
Asus 6800 GT Grafik Card , 128MB Ram
Asus A7n8xe Deluxe Mainboard
Soundblaster Audigy2ZS Soundcard
1,5Gig Ram
The Problem :
After the Planecrash , when i swim to the Lighthouse , as soon as i pass the tale of the plane , i get massive Graphic problems ( missing Textures , Game moves like a slideshow , whole Screen goes black ... )
Strange thing here is : As i go to the Default.Ini and change the Level of Anisotropy from 4 to 1, the problems are gone , unless i take a very fast look around , then sometimes it still hapens that i have the graphic problems . When i end the game , i could not play ANY game with 3d graphics .
All i get are black screens . ( I tried other games with Anisotropy 8 , and they work , so its not my system , its the ( bad ?? ) programming , i think .
Hope there will be a sollution to it . Again : Bioshock is the ONLY game i have this problems with .

Lyrics
08-24-2007, 04:19 AM

c2d E6420@2,66ghz
7900gt 512mb
nvidia beta drivers
win xp pro 32bit

here is the crash log from event log viewer in windows:

Faulting application bioshock.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module , version 8.0.50727.762, fault address 0x00017440.

Fault bucket 493664902.

gnak
08-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I created a topic but missed this one. Here's my problem

I have no game explorer installed on my vista 32 bits and i can play a lot of games without a problem...except for bioshock. I try to lauch the game and i have a window sayint "Failed to create gameexplorer object". Why Bioshock needs the game explorer to launch when 30 other games on my computer don't ? This issue came with the demo (stand alone and steam, i tried the both) and i assume it will be the same with the complet game.

Is there a way to launch the game without this connection with the vista game explorer ? I hope or i won't buy the game when it will come out in france.

Regards.

enny330
08-24-2007, 04:31 AM
Well , I found out about this myself but it is very good possible that this "solution" doesn't work with other pc's..

Bioshock crashed as soon as i launched the game...

Solution for me was : ctrl-alt-del > Task manager > Launch Bioshock > Then terminate very quickly in Task manager the process "explorer.exe" (end process..) > then just close Task manager.

It probably won't work with other people then me (i'm having problems with my windows..)
You can try it but it isn't my fault if u mix up your pc! But it worked for me.

roones
08-24-2007, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by roones
nivida geforce 7950 gt 512mb
amd athlon 64x2 dual core processor +5200
2 gig of core share ram i think its called
300mb x2 hard drivers
5.1 dolby suround sound
windows xp
1.can i run bioshock ????
2. i ran system requirements lab and every thing went good but for my grafics card it said that Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 3.0 , You have - 2.0
but i checked out my card and i should have 3.0
3.ferther more it states that i have a 128mb card but i have 512mb wtf do i need a driver and if i do where can i get it i have got the latest driver but it still not working can someone help
thanks

p.s
im knew at this and yes my spellings s@*T but i hope someone can help

ashley800
08-24-2007, 04:41 AM
are they laughing at us cos we brought a game it doesnt work ( not even our fault) and were posting so they can laugh at us cos no 1s helped me

Lyrics
08-24-2007, 04:51 AM
I solved my crashing issue!!!! add the bioshock.exe to windows data execution prevention (DEP) list! I can now play the medical lvl!! :eek: :D

drlloyd11
08-24-2007, 04:53 AM
amd 3500+
pny 7600 card
1 gig mem
windows xp sp 2

Any thoughts?

ashley800
08-24-2007, 04:54 AM
omfg nice how do u do that plz tell me so i can understand

Lyrics
08-24-2007, 05:06 AM
omfg nice how do u do that plz tell me so i can understand

right click on "my computer" -->properties--- advanced tab-->performance settings--> data execution prevention tab. then select "turn on DEP for all programs and services expect those i select:" and add--> browse: "x (drive letter where installation is)\Program Files\2K Games\BioShock\Builds\Release\bioshock.exe"-->restart computer and you are good to go ;)

ozion787
08-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Games crashes randomly throughout the game I"m still in the Medical Pavilion. When game crashes I do get an error Drivers have stopped working. I have all hotfixes and updated drivers.

Dual 3.2 Xeon Processors
4 gigs Ram
8600 GTS 512mb
Updated drivers

ashley800
08-24-2007, 05:12 AM
right click on "my computer" -->properties--- advanced tab-->performance settings--> data execution prevention tab. then select "turn on DEP for all programs and services expect those i select:" and add--> browse: "x (drive letter where installation is)\Program Files\2K Games\BioShock\Builds\Release\bioshock.exe"-->restart computer and you are good to go ;)

myn doesnt say xe theres bioshock and bioshock mce

shiznit
08-24-2007, 05:35 AM
mouse acceleration is horrible, please get rid of it.

pillowfight
08-24-2007, 05:49 AM
The requirement of SM 3 is a shame considering how little it actually helps the came visually. Plus its ironic that you can turn down or off so many settings but it still requires SM 3 as if people with SM 3 supported cards would even need to turn down most of those settings.

nshahzad
08-24-2007, 05:54 AM
If I enabled surround-sound, I get no sound, I have an EAX 2.0 card..

vista ultimate
core 2 duo
8800gtx
creative audigy
2gb ram

shiznit
08-24-2007, 05:54 AM
The requirement of SM 3 is a shame considering how little it actually helps the came visually. Plus its ironic that you can turn down or off so many settings but it still requires SM 3 as if people with SM 3 supported cards would even need to turn down most of those settings.
as much as i have been getting on 2k for the widescreen screwup and the mouse feel, i have to defend them here. they told people that 3.0 shaders were required, whoever still bought the game knowing that and dont have 3.0 shader hardware is an idiot and deserves no sympathy from anyone. additionally, 3.0 shaders are required by the engine which was licensed from Epic, so all the complainers can take it up with them.

Iamchokingonmyownragehere
08-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Beyond my problem with using high detail shaders, if I manage to disable them, load a save game and then enable them after, from either the beginning of that session until it crashes, some object textures are randomly replaced with a pure yellow color. Shortly thereafter, An infinite loop error occurs forcing a restart.

XP SP2
amd x2 4200+ @ 2.2ghz
Evga Geforce 8800 gts 640mb
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, BIOS 2.10
OCZ pc3200 Performance Rev. 3, 2x512mb
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 200GB PATA-133
OCZ Powerstream 520 watt psu
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
Samsung SyncMaster 913V II
LE retail.

pillowfight
08-24-2007, 06:03 AM
as much as i have been getting on 2k for the widescreen screwup and the mouse feel, i have to defend them here. they told people that 3.0 shaders were required, whoever still bought the game knowing that and dont have 3.0 shader hardware is an idiot and deserves no sympathy from anyone. additionally, 3.0 shaders are required by the engine which was licensed from Epic, so all the complainers can take it up with them.

Granted I don't do nearly as much research on gaming as I used to when I was 15 (i'm 26 now) because now i'm very much casual gamer. I never ran into an issue where a video card which runs other current market games great is completely shutout by a game like this. AND I remember reading that Epics engine IS able to support SM 2 so its up to the game developer how reasonable they want to be. I could see if they wanted to push the industry and casual gamers into the next gen of gaming, but when viewing all of the comparisons of of SM 2 vs SM 3 there are very little differences and it is NO reason to not give an option for people who bought a video card within the last 3 years. Based on what i've read so far there is NO reason that either or both ATI and 2k could do something to fix this issue.

Baby_Seal_Killer
08-24-2007, 06:05 AM
I have a sound problem. Sometimes the sound cuts out and some times it doesn't even on the same scene during gameplay. Sound sync problems also.

Example #1: firing shotgun 2 times in a row, the first blast may be muted the second blast will be just fine or vice versa.

Example #2: Impact sounds on NPC's from example #1 are then out of sync. Funny, since NPC's hits ground then 1 second later I hear them hit the ground.

My Specs:
Steam Version
P4 - 3.4
2 GB RAM
AC97 Sound
ATI 1950 pro

ashley800
08-24-2007, 06:10 AM
hi plz help me

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Hard Drive: 112 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
Monitor: Default Monitor
Sound Card: SigmaTel Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050329-1536)

my problem is i get 2 second loading screen and i crash 1nce i got past loading screen (not crashing whooooooooooo) then i crashed 2 seconds after plz help me

plz help me

Kaldhor
08-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Problem:

upon starting the game I do not egt to see any form of mouse pointer in the Menu screen, I can move my mouse and high light the options in the menu but have to guess where my invisible cursor is...

Problem: Upon starting a new game, I get areas of black, some floating squares, some flames and other stuff i can;t tell where they should belong. In other words the world gfx do not load properly and I am trapped in some kind of graphic limbo.

I've just installed the latest Catalyst drivers and the Aug 2007 update for DirectX 9c.

rig:

AMD64 4000+
2 gb RAM
ATI RADEON X850XT
wINDOWS XP PRO

cybernetic barry
08-24-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm playing the steam version. I just got up to, well let's say there's a speech and a big explanation... except I had to turn on subtitles to find out what it was. And now all the little sisters in the world are mutes all of a sudden, the only non-radio or -recording voices I can hear in the game world are from splicers, and I don't think all of those are playing. I used to be able to hear little sisters, and I haven't re-installed or changed anything. An example, when you save a little sister she no longer 'audibly' says no, no etc.

System is Athlon64 3800+
2GB RAM
Sparkle 7950GT 512MB
Audigy 2 ZS
Asus A8V-E mobo

Sorry, should also have mentioned this is on a windows XP sp 2 machine.

Lyrics
08-24-2007, 06:16 AM
myn doesnt say xe theres bioshock and bioshock mce

so propably ur using c:\ drive and from DEP select the bioshock and it you to restart computer

alexnfs
08-24-2007, 06:16 AM
hello@all

I've got a BIG problem and i mean a gib one^^

First this morning i went to saturn in munich and bought me the bioshock retail version...
Back at home i took the dvd into the drive and....Nothing happend
i've the newest drivers and all^^

Don't know what to do now

my system

Intel pentium 4 3,2ghz
Windows Xp(the newest)servie pack 2
Geforce 7800gtx(newest driver)
2gb ram

Bladewing51
08-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Kaldhor

Your Graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements to play this game, its for 1300XT and above if I'm not mistaken, you'll have to upgrade to play unfortunatly.

googelybear
08-24-2007, 06:19 AM
subtitles (en) are out of sync (way too fast!).

Natace
08-24-2007, 06:20 AM
who are you talking about?

Natace
08-24-2007, 06:21 AM
where the hell can i edit my posts, lol, I just saw who you were talking about in regards to the graphics card

General Lethal
08-24-2007, 06:22 AM
I had other problems before, which I kind of solved, so now my problem is Bioshock crashes everytime I save. Sometimes just pressing save game, sometimes by choosing the actual save slot.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX
4gb of Ram
SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Windows Vista 64

Zanthius
08-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Not able to start game, black screen. Game crashing after entering capsule after plane crash (on totally different computer). mouse lag (on both computers).

Please see post:
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5601

All system specs and issues there.

SomeGuy47
08-24-2007, 06:31 AM
I cant even Start the game up.
I Start the EXE and the disk starts turning, I get a disk icon then it just stops. I checked the Task manager while it happened and the Bioshock.EXE only runs for a couple of seconds. I have disabled every extra, unused background pograms, Removed all image programs from my computer and tried it in safe mode. i also reinstalled and deleted my drivers as well as trying the Beta Nvidia drivers.
I Need help! i would like to actually be able to play the game i payed for :mad:

My system Specs are:
Windows XP Home Edition service pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4200+
2.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce7600 GS (Upgrading to 8600GTS tomorrow)

Will there be a patch released any time soon to adress problems like this?

SomeGuy47
08-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Edit::: It is also the retail Version of the game.

ashley800
08-24-2007, 06:44 AM
so propably ur using c:\ drive and from DEP select the bioshock and it you to restart computer

it still dont work

ZippyDSMlee
08-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Umm.. speak for yourself. From what I see, "most of us" do not appreciate the undocumented installation of a rootkit on our system, nor the use of draconian copy protection schemes that have already been hacked 2 days into release, and now only cause the paying customers headaches.

The industry also has a problem with releasing stuff when its done not when the suits want money in the bank,they should have gave another 6 months for the PC launch,since they spent 80% of their time working on the 360 version.

The copy protection used is unneeded and frankly they would gain more sales without it or at least use standard basic C-P kits that do not act like male/spy ware..

anyone havign trouble with the rootkit go here
http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/

ashley800
08-24-2007, 06:50 AM
ffs its anoying y arnt any of us getting help

countspatula
08-24-2007, 06:52 AM
MSI P6N SLI Platinum MB w/current BIOS
Core 2 Duo e6750
2G Corsair XMS DDR2 800
EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 512 w/Bioshock Beta drivers
Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1
XP Pro SP2 - all current updates
No overclocking

If I enable EAX audio is corrupted. Breaks up, stutters, static, etc. Any voices are very low and can not be heard. This is in game only. During the intro, etc, it's fine. EAX off, things seem OK unless there's heavy action, then the sound effects tend to disappear sometimes. (ie: may only hear gun fire every other time)

Has been running fine at max video settings but have noticed a fine line running vertically thru center of most information panels that pop up over the game window. Will usually stay on screen after closing pop up window until you move around a little.

Crashed once in crematorium when closing gene tonic slot window. Went right to desktop. Last quicksave game was missing and all options had reset back to defaults.

countspatula
08-24-2007, 06:54 AM
It's the retail version

MSI P6N SLI Platinum MB w/current BIOS
Core 2 Duo e6750
2G Corsair XMS DDR2 800
EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 512 w/Bioshock Beta drivers
Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1
XP Pro SP2 - all current updates
No overclocking

If I enable EAX audio is corrupted. Breaks up, stutters, static, etc. Any voices are very low and can not be heard. This is in game only. During the intro, etc, it's fine. EAX off, things seem OK unless there's heavy action, then the sound effects tend to disappear sometimes. (ie: may only hear gun fire every other time)

Has been running fine at max video settings but have noticed a fine line running vertically thru center of most information panels that pop up over the game window. Will usually stay on screen after closing pop up window until you move around a little.

Crashed once in crematorium when closing gene tonic slot window. Went right to desktop. Last quicksave game was missing and all options had reset back to defaults.

DecaphaZe
08-24-2007, 07:00 AM
I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to happen.
during the installation of the most current drivers Vista 64, an OLD file
nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the current one in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a file
dated 11/2006 instead of the newest Vista 64 drivers.

Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) navigate to the windows/system32/drivers directory and type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Your computer should now work properly if you were receiving this error.

You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will not
remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the newer
version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens but who
cares as long it is fixed.

Good luck...

Cthompson18
08-24-2007, 07:01 AM
I been getting a crash error when I tired to enter the city under water...I tried changing my graphics settings but nothing helps, is there anything I can do (retail game))

AMD dual core 4.2
Nvidia 7600GT
1 GB ram
XP pro

ashley800
08-24-2007, 07:04 AM
nice 1 for fixing some peoples problems were are the bloody people who know how 2 fix other peoples problems and does any 1 crash on the second loading screen

eddievader
Hi..
Every time i play bioshock on the surgery level (where you go and pick up the second gene tonic to have a second power) the game just locks, and it always happens soon as you pick it up and i need to restaart the system by the restart button because the whole system does not respond... anyway here is my system specs....

2x dual core 3ghz amd64 fx 74 (running in quad)
2x 8800 756meg xfx gtx
4 gig ocz sli memory
Asus L1N64-SLI WS Quadfather
XFI-Fatality Sound Card
2x WD Raptors 75gig
Samsung 22" 226BW SyncMaster
Vista 64 Ultimate

All settings on high and res 1680 x 1050
Display drivers are on the latest beta drivers released on the 21st (163.44)
any help appreciated... Thanks in advance

ashley800
I been getting a crash error when I tired to enter the city under water...I tried changing my graphics settings but nothing helps, is there anything I can do (retail game))

AMD dual core 4.2
Nvidia 7600GT
1 GB ram
XP pro

see there loads of peeps with this porbs HELP US WE WANNA PLAY

Chccy
08-24-2007, 07:07 AM
I have a sound problem. Sometimes the sound cuts out and some times it doesn't even on the same scene during gameplay. Sound sync problems also.

Example #1: firing shotgun 2 times in a row, the first blast may be muted the second blast will be just fine or vice versa.

Example #2: Impact sounds on NPC's from example #1 are then out of sync. Funny, since NPC's hits ground then 1 second later I hear them hit the ground.

My Specs:
Steam Version
P4 - 3.4
2 GB RAM
AC97 Sound
ATI 1950 pro
I get this problem too :(
P4 3.2
1 GB RAM
Nvidia 6800 GT

kirisute
08-24-2007, 07:12 AM
see there loads of peeps with this porbs HELP US WE WANNA PLAY

dude...this thread is for reporting if you have a problems..not getting them resolved.....
its simply a holding place for 2k to see what trouble speople are having and hopefully work them out...
nobody on this forum is getting direct answers from 2k tech at the minute....
all answers we have worked out or found by ourselves are listed in the threads...so try the search button and see if those solutions help you out....
dont keep posting in this one...

eddievader
08-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Hi..
Every time i play bioshock on the surgery level (where you go and pick up the second gene tonic to have a second power) the game just locks, and it always happens soon as you pick it up and i need to restaart the system by the restart button because the whole system does not respond... anyway here is my system specs....

2x dual core 3ghz amd64 fx 74 (running in quad)
2x 8800 756meg xfx gtx
4 gig ocz sli memory
Asus L1N64-SLI WS Quadfather
XFI-Fatality Sound Card
2x WD Raptors 75gig
Samsung 22" 226BW SyncMaster
Vista 64 Ultimate

All settings on high and res 1680 x 1050
Display drivers are on the latest beta drivers released on the 21st (163.44)
any help appreciated... Thanks in advance

Sorry i was meant to also put in that this is the retail version

ashley800
08-24-2007, 07:16 AM
well i wanna play the game be 4 its 2 late 2 take bk

Dimex
08-24-2007, 07:18 AM
I solved my crashing issue!!!! add the bioshock.exe to windows data execution prevention (DEP) list! I can now play the medical lvl!! :eek: :D

This did not help me - the game still crashes every single time I try to load the Medical level. I've tried pretty much every other fix I've seen on these boards. I haven't been able to continue the game since the 21st, and I'm sorry to say that I'm very disappointed with the way this is being handled.

Retail Copy
Vista32
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
2GB RAM
GeForce 7800GT with latest .44 beta drivers
Realtek ALC850 with WHQL drivers (I've tried newer drivers as well)
Latest DirectX

vidur87
08-24-2007, 07:29 AM
I have an error with the post processing .. if i enable it these green sparkles come up all over the place and i get a black box that drags and stops the game from rendering. Also if I put my textures on high the textures in the game are getting corrupted. It looks like random colors or gradients are fighting (clipping) the normal textures. If i turn my post processing off and the textures to medium the game runs like a charm no crashing but i do get these weird green dots all over the place. That being said, the game is amazing. I was getting audio stuttering on my headphones which are USB but it works if i use the integrated 5.1 sound card.

here are my specs:

Intel D975Xbx2 (integrated 5.1 audio)
Intel Core2Duo e6700
nVidia XFX 7950GX2
2 gigs of Corsair DDR2 800
Windows XP with SP2
The limited Edition from EBgames

fishgeek
08-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi There,

Sorry if some of my issues have been answered in this forum, but with 42 pages to scroll through, I just couldn't look at it all! I have installed Bioshock on my laptop and it starts up fine. I get through the first cutscene with the guy sitting in his plane seat and saying that yes, they were right about him being special. Then it shows the Bioshock logo. Then it stops working and I have to go to task manager to shut it down. Here are my specs:

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ190E
Core 2 Duo T7500
2MB RAM
160GB 5400rpm hard drive
NVidia 8400GT video card with tons of VRAM

So, if by these specs, this game can't run, how do I go about getting a refund?

Thanks.

vidur87
08-24-2007, 07:39 AM
sorry forgot to mention .. im using the nVidia Beta drivers that say improved compatability with bioshock

Masakado
08-24-2007, 07:40 AM
My problem wasn't in installing the game that worked fine. The problem i have is actually playing, i click the play button and the bioshock logo comes up, then a window comes up on the left side of my screen...but then i get a popup saying Bioshock.exe has stopped working...and my gaming experience ends there.

Masakado
08-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Retail version

fruitloops
08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
This game forgets its settings no matter what you do and tripple buffering doesn't work in dx10 mode making the game unplayable unless you play in windowed mode for some freaking reason.

retail version

Bioshock_FTW!
08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
When I use the volume wheel on my Logitech G15 keyboard, each notch pauses and then unpauses BioShock.
Others have said the same except they may have volume + - buttons on their keyboards, which do the same thing.

specs:
Athlon 64 X2 6000+
2 GB DDR 2 800
Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe
8800 GTX
Logitech G15 keyboard, G5 mouse
Audigy2 ZS
Vista Ultimate x86

davidc14
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm experiencing issues with DX10 and the ATI Radeon 2900. It seems that everything that would be DX10 (water, characters, floors) have missing textures. I tried installing the latest drivers (listed in the support page) which did not solve the problem, however playing in DX9 mode puts these textures in the game.

Specs are as follows,
Windows Vista Home Premium
2GB of DDR2 RAM
AMD Athlon X2 3000+
ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
Creative Audigy SE
Retail SKU (PAL territory)

fruitloops
08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
This game forgets its settings no matter what you do and tripple buffering doesn't work in dx10 mode making the game unplayable unless you play in windowed mode for some freaking reason.

retail version

whoops forgot my specs.

Intel C2D E6600
2 gig ram Kingston Pc6400
Motherboard Asus P5B Wifi Deluxe
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 320 MB
Windows Vista ultimate 32 Bit (x86)
Soundscard Creative (dunno version number)

I use the beata drivers from nvidia 163.44

Also forcing stuff in the drivers setting simply doesn't work. It won't detect if you force tripple buffering or v-sync on

Section_Ei8ht
08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Sometimes the game wont even startup, other times it will start up but crash while loading any level, other times it will let me play and then just crash at random intervals (crashing either bioshock.exe, steam.exe, bluescreening with a reboot, or blackscreening). As of right now, I can't load any level without it crashing to desktop. I've tried almost every setting permutation and suggested fixes with nothing working.

-Windows XP SP2
-AMD 64 3500+
-1 GIG
-nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (tried with both latest and beta drivers)
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
-Steam

Samtonia
08-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Hi There,

Sorry if some of my issues have been answered in this forum, but with 42 pages to scroll through, I just couldn't look at it all! I have installed Bioshock on my laptop and it starts up fine. I get through the first cutscene with the guy sitting in his plane seat and saying that yes, they were right about him being special. Then it shows the Bioshock logo. Then it stops working and I have to go to task manager to shut it down. Here are my specs:

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ190E
Core 2 Duo T7500
2MB RAM
160GB 5400rpm hard drive
NVidia 8400GT video card with tons of VRAM

So, if by these specs, this game can't run, how do I go about getting a refund?

Thanks.
Exact same thing happens to me. I posted many pages back about it, along with my specs, but I've got ones that are very similar to yours. Screen just goes all black and then nothing happens? Because that's what is going on with mine.

k-palm
08-24-2007, 08:02 AM
First off, the specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4ghz
2gigs DDR-400 RAM
ATI Radeon 1800XT 512mb graphics card
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card
Running the retail version of Bioshock

All the drivers are up to date and the system's usually very very stable.

Now, the issues:

I ran the Demo okay, the audio was fine and it was stable, there were some graphical glitches but nothing like when I installed the full version of the game.

When playing, the textures seem to load very intermittently, sometimes not at all. When I first played, it looked like the original Half-life, the textures being very plain and blurry, or sometimes simply gray or other neutral colors.

You can see what I mean here: http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bioshockgraphicalglitchnv7.jpg
This screenshot was taken with the game using default settings.

The cracks in the wall didn't load originally either, I had to wait for several seconds. The problem isn't always consistent, so I'm fairly sure it's not my system not being able to run the game, because sometimes the textures will load just fine and I'll be able to play at a pretty good framerate. Usually though they load slowly and I can't really appreciate the game.

Some of the character models load strangely too, but this problem was only about half as prevalent as the textures (which at some points resulted in only around 20% of the textures loading at all).

When there are voices, the audio stutters frequently and I just ran the game to try and get a better high-res screenshot of the graphical glitch and the audio stopped working completely.

When I initially played, I got to the point where you enter the medical area, where the demo ends, and the game locked up and eventually crashed the computer with a blue screen. I reloaded the game, and managed to get past that point okay without any further crashing but I only played another 10 minutes or so because I didn't want to risk it happening again, and the sound wasn't working at all. At this point, most of the textures were loading alright, so it might just be an issue with the first section of the game, but I did notice the first Vita-chamber in the medical area didn't appear correctly. I also had the problem with settings resetting themself, but it seems like that's been adequately covered.

I'll try and check back, but if there's anything more you NEED to know, you should be able to email me about it.

Edgar1976
08-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Anyone notice that the "Vista Performance Rating" for Bioshock is a Minimum of 1.0 and a Recommended of 2.0? That was really odd.

Anyway

Game runs absolutely fabulous. Installed great. Loads with out a problem. No crashes. Only occasional sound glitches, but those seemed to have subsided as I got further into the game. Biggest issue is that I seem to run everywhere. I release "W" and I continue to move until I run into something or change direction. Same thing happens when I strafe ("A" & "D" keys) but oddly not moving backwards. Game is still playable, but the movement is annoying ass hell. Anything i can do to fix this, or is it a larger problem?

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1300 Series 512mb
Audio:Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Retail Version of game.

HRPuffinstuff
08-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Game will only run past new game or saved game loading screen in windowed mode.

It will freeze to a faded almost black loading screen in full screen mode.

EVGA NF68, nvidia nforce 680i SLI (P-30) bios
4096 MB (DDR2-800)
8800 GTS (640 MB) Driver 163.44 beta
X-FI Platinum
Rapter X
Vista Ultimate 64
Have the August 2007 Direct X installed and have tried the 163.22 nvidia driver.

SaintCinderella
08-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Specs:

Intel P4 3.0HT Processor
1 GB DDR RAM
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Running on retail

Everything works fine except for the graphics because I don't have a DX10 graphics card. I see square shaped water droplets and right through the player's body. Is there anyway to do a lower-resolution patch for the monetarily broke?

HRPuffinstuff
08-24-2007, 08:16 AM
I have the retail version.

Ph3ar
08-24-2007, 08:19 AM
So i got bioshock today couldnt wait to play it.

installed fine there was no problems there.
it asked me to update my drivers so i did but didnt ask to install shorcuts but still finished fine

i went into start programs etc found bioshock clicked it i got this error message:
C:\Program Files\2K Games\Bioshock\BuildszRelease\bioshock.exe

This application has failed to start because the applicaction configuration is inccorect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

the only option is ok so i click it. i reinstalled it still the same thing happened. so i though hell 3 times make a charm. well they dont.

i run on Windows XP Home edition version 2002
service pack 2
Geforce 8800gts
intel core 2 duo E6400 2.13ghz
2Gb ram

this meets the requirments but still it wont run

thanks in advance

Metal-Geo
08-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Game crashes (as in, goes back to desktop and shows an error) most of the time when I enter a menu for hacking. Other than that, the game runs fabulous. But it's still a big issue, as these systems are needed quite a lot.

Windows Vista Ultimate
8800GTX 768mb
Intel Duo Core 2 E6700 @ 2.66GHz
2Gb RAM

Korko
08-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Another vote for sorting out the mouse issues. I'm even considering playing it through using my 360 pad. Mouse smoothing, mouse acceleration, whatever it is it's absolutely HORRIBLE. I've set all the mouse options (capture mouse, reduce lag etc etc) to FALSE and disabled vsync and it still feels like my mouse mat is coated in maple syrup. For the record, I always disable any mouse smoothing/acceleration options in games, and I have disabled mouse smoothing in the XP registry as well as disabling "enhance pointer precision."

At first I thought I was just getting major FPS problems, but using FRAPS the frame rate is perfectly playable. I'm usually 60+, and in really heavy scenes it still manages to stay above 30. However anything below 50 is uncomfortable, and anything below 40 feels unplayable, because low fps + that ridiculous mouse sludge that seems to plague 360 games means I can't aim for jack.

The mouse sensitivity options are also waaaaay too sensitive. I had to set it down to 1 and then adjust the sens further through XP to play comfortably, but when I do that the menu and hacking screen are way too slow, meaning I have to crank up the DPI on my mouse every time I enter a different screen. I managed to fix it through changing each sens setting in the config files, but it was a pain and the results still aren't perfect.

I want to like this game, and the engine seems to have been well optimized for the PC, but that counts for nothing when it feels like I'm using my mouse as a replacement for a 360 analogue stick. I don't have any other problems with the game, the sound is flawless (and fantastic) and the widescreen "issues" are not issues at all, just a load of whiners.

Specs:

AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.8GHz
2GB G.Skill PC3200
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB @ 600/2000 + beta Bioshock drivers
X-Fi Elite Pro
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard
PC Power & Cooling 750W PSU
XP SP2

Playing @ 1440x900, everything maxed out, vsync disabled

Ragonous
08-24-2007, 08:27 AM
I open Bioshock, and the menu comes up just fine. I can edit my settings just fine, but when i start the game, I get a "Bioshock.exe has stopped working" error imidiatly after the plane crashes and the bioshock logo appears. I am also trying to play the game on a labtop. Could that be the problem?
Also, why can't labtop users download the nvidia beta patch, out of curiosity?"
System Specs:
Intel Core Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.4GHz
3.50GB ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT
Dell Inspiron 1720 Labtop
Retail sku
I am dying to play this game! I hope we get this problem fixed!!

mr.wok
08-24-2007, 08:29 AM
After meeting the first 'little sister' and having Atlas tell you about her, If I try to move on to the gate with the chain around it the game crashes to blue screen giving me this error:

nv4_disp.dll

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x000000050 (0xf7909630, 0x00000000, 0xBFC9DDD4, 0x00000001)

Its not once or twice, but every single time, it's now rendered the game unplayable. Refund time methinks, should be fun trying to get play.com to do it :(

Spec:

Intel Centrino Duo 2Ghz
NVidia Quadro NVS 120m 512Mb (GeForce Go 7400 chipset)
1Gb RAM
Sigmatel Audio Card
XP Pro
Retail Version (UK)

Chozen
08-24-2007, 08:29 AM
-Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
-3048MB Ram
-RADEON X850 Pro
-Creative Sound Blaster Augity 4 pro
-Retail Box

I can load the Game to the menus but i have no curser/mouse but i can just above click the new game if i move the mouse about on my mat then i can just about click new game it loads ive the cut scene of the gut in the plane then when it gets to playing it ive black patches everywhere and hundreds of tiny screens. And well just generally bad graphics glitches. I have Installed the ATI bioshock bugfix graphics card drivers. the latest direct x 9.c version and still get the same graphics bug.

Shinnkun
08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
After choosing difficulty settings, when the loading screen appears game freezes up and gives this error:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5660/untitledsv7.th.jpg (http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledsv7.jpg)

specs:
Core 2 duo E6600 2.4 ghz
2 GB corsair
Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB
32 bit windows vista premium
directx 10

drlloyd11
08-24-2007, 08:47 AM
amd 3500+
pny 7600 card
1 gig mem
windows xp sp 2

Any thoughts?

Working now (for now) after upgrade with nvidia drivers from bioshock site.
Brad

Robbie785
08-24-2007, 08:57 AM
i cannot even run the setup.exe file on the install disc, sometimes it gives me a "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed." or sometimes a "D:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

here's is my dxdiag report, that has all my system specs.

http://robbie785.googlepages.com/DxDiag2.txt

just a note, i installed the amd dual core timing fix, and i also checked and i have the latest firmware drivers for my dvd drive...

Robbie785
08-24-2007, 09:01 AM
edit: also, the bsautorun.exe file gives me the same error. i was able to test and at least begin the install on another computer, so i know it's not a bad disc or anything...

unrequited
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
please post your specifications -- that way we can help you. be as specific as possible.

Since nobody will reply to my other thread...

I've played about 15 hours of this game no problems yet, everything looks crisp and beautiful, upon loading this level though, it's like the 1980's bizarro version of the matrix. : (

Vista
DX10
8600GTS 256
2gb RAM
SB Audigy Gamer
Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Steam version

No overclocking whatsoever & latest nVidia beta drivers 8/20/07.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Already reinstalled latest nVidia drivers, rebooted, blah blah blah.

unrequited
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I left out the pic of my previous post.
http://www.christopherwu.net/files/rapture_central_control.jpg

Yabanjin
08-24-2007, 09:12 AM
AMD Dual Core +6000
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (163.44 beta driver)
2048MB RAM
32 bit windows vista premium (Japanese)
Distribution:Steam

Bioshock startup parameters -dx9

Problems
==============

*Cannot run with Directx 10
*Crashes when manually saved
*Crashes when vending machine used
*Lose all keybinds if game crashes

Other than that, great game!

Robbie785
08-24-2007, 09:13 AM
edit: also, the bsautorun.exe file gives me the same error. i was able to test and at least begin the install on another computer, so i know it's not a bad disc or anything...

2nd edit: the way i was able to run the amd timing fix was to copy the file off the cd onto my hard drive, and then run it... which makes me think it's some sort of problem with my cd/dvd driver, but i've never had any problem before with any other games...

TheBuddhist
08-24-2007, 09:16 AM
My only issues with the game is the strange mouse movement when I switch to any sensitivity under 3, and the fact that the game seems to revert all settings to default when I close the game and reload it a few times.. It also hangs with the splashscreen displayed when it's loading around the time whenever the settings end up reverting. I end up having to restart my pc because it sucks up 98-99% CPU resources and refuses to close via task manager.

PC specs:

8800GTS 640
athlon 64 3200
2GB RAM
X-Fi Fatal1ty.

If anyone knows how to fix this send me a PM.

JimmyRiddle
08-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Retail version

AMD 64 3800+
Radeon x800 pro
1 gig RAM
Audigy 2ZS
windows xp media (32-bit)
ATI hotfix drivers

When the game loads I can's see a mouse pointer but if i move my mouse I can still point at options.

When I start a new game the cut sceen plays but after that the graphics are completely unusable. Can occasionaly make out bits and pieces of images and can move around but can't really make out whats going on. :( :( :mad:

pointblank187
08-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Retail version

AMD 64 3800+
Radeon x800 pro
1 gig RAM
Audigy 2ZS
ATI hotfix drivers

When the game loads I can's see a mouse pointer but if i move my mouse I can still point at options.

When I start a new game the cut sceen plays but after that the graphics are completely unusable. Can occasionaly make out bits and pieces of images and can move around but can't really make out whats going on. :( :( :mad:

It's your graphics card. X800 only supports SM 2.1b and you need 3.0. Anything under the X1k series for ATi doesn't support 3.0. (X8xx, 9xxx, 8xxx, 7xxx, etc).

Yttermayn
08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Ok, my problem was that the game would crash at the end of the level load when you first enter rapture from the bathysphere.
What finally made it work was to start the game by just starting bioshock.exe from start->run instead of using a link that has -mce. This got me past that point. Then a few minutes into the game, it crashed again when a big shower of sparks was scripted to come from above while you're creeping around trying to draw out the sickle wielding woman-thing that attacked the bathysphere. Turning off the detailed shaders option seems to have prevented that crash. Been playing stable so far for about 40 minutes now...

My rig:
AMD athlon 64
3000+
2.01 GHz
1GB RAM
MSI K8NGM-V
Geforce 7600 GS 256MB
SB Live! value
XP Pro service pack 2
Latest beta drivers for video card, customized for Bioshock 163.44
DirectX 9.0c

Hope this helps someone.

Lev
08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I open Bioshock, and the menu comes up just fine. I can edit my settings just fine, but when i start the game, I get a "Bioshock.exe has stopped working" error imidiatly after the plane crashes and the bioshock logo appears. I am also trying to play the game on a labtop. Could that be the problem?
System Specs:
3.50GB ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT
Retail sku

Exact same thing is happening to me, I am also playing on a Dell Inspiron (1520). We can't install the latest video drivers because they are for Desktop NVidia cards only. The latest drivers for us are located at the Dell website (however they're over a month old). I don't think the problem is with our drivers however. It is most likely something to do with Direct X 10 because the game will run for me in Direct x 9 (albeit very choppy, another issue to be addressed).

My specs are in post 220.

k-palm
08-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I posted earlier detailing the issues I was having and I've resolved the graphical ones by getting the Bioshock hotfix for my graphics card.

The sound is still acting up, stuttering and cutting out altogether.

Only one crash so far, though.

pointblank187
08-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Since nobody will reply to my other thread...

I've played about 15 hours of this game no problems yet, everything looks crisp and beautiful, upon loading this level though, it's like the 1980's bizarro version of the matrix. : (

Vista
DX10
8600GTS 256
2gb RAM
SB Audigy Gamer
Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Steam version

No overclocking whatsoever & latest nVidia beta drivers 8/20/07.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Already reinstalled latest nVidia drivers, rebooted, blah blah blah.

Quick question, is this happening in other games as well? That almost looks like a hardware problem with your video card but if it doesn't do it in other games as well then it's something with the game on your system.

sympodius
08-24-2007, 10:12 AM
In the middle of game play the sound will completely disappear. This has happened twice so far, but I haven't been playing the game very long. I don't want to give any spoilers but I feel it could be important: The sound seems to disappear during points in the game where 'scripted' elements occur. The two instances have been when initially switching the emergency access over-ride. The second was in the medical pavilion when the Big Daddy and little sister are seen for the first time in an alternate glass tunnel.

I have not tried replaying these section to see if it happens every time, however, closing the game and restarting from the point right after the event seems to solve the problem. Though perhaps only till the next scripted event occurs.

PC Specifications
-Processor Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2.01GHz)
-Amount of Ram: 2047MB
-Video Card Manufacturer and Model: NVidia GeForce 7800 GT
-Audio Card: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex
-Which Sku: Retail Box

samyne
08-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Well I have the game for 3 days now, and the longest period of time that I could play was 15 min. Perhaps in total I played an half hour.
That is because the game just keeps crashing over and over again. Somtimes just a CTD, then i crashes when it loads, i had a blue screen, and so on. Al my drivers are up to date. Tried every possible solution that I saw here on the forum but nothing works.

Specs:
AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+
1Gb ram
XFX nvidia geforce 7800gt
X-FI extreme gamer (audio)

The game is retail bioshock CE

k-palm
08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I posted earlier detailing the issues I was having and I've resolved the graphical ones by getting the Bioshock hotfix for my graphics card.

The sound is still acting up, stuttering and cutting out altogether.

Only one crash so far, though.

Spoke too soon. The graphical glitches are popping up again here and there, though not as bad as they were.

yogibbear
08-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I swear a lot of these problems are some kind of conflict between my firewall... virus scanner... spyware scanners... xp security features... and bioshock. WTF did you put in this game 2k that screws with everything in my computer??? Every single app on my comp. chucks a spazz at bioshock whenever I change a level... e.g when i try to enter "medical pav"

MAJ0099
08-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I can't play bioshock on anything other than low detail without it crashing. When trying to load my game just now in medium settings I got this error:

Bioshock.exe - Application Error
The instructions at "0x78147440" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written"

system specs
Windows XP Professional
AMD X2 6000+
1GB RAM
BFG Nvidia 7950 GT OC
Audio is on motherboard ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
retail box

running forceware 163.44

webbo254
08-24-2007, 10:32 AM
I have played the game for about 1-2 hours total and it has crashed twice, I only have this problem with Bioshock. I played for about 1 hour yesterday and it froze, then I have just started playing it again today and it crashed after about 10-15 minutes of playing. There is no select screen/location where it crashes its just random, yesterday I was just walking around and today I was hacking when it crashed. When the game freezes I have to restart the PC using the reset button because the PC will not respond at all. I am using the Nvidia 163.44 BETA drivers that Nvidia recommended installing before playing Bioshock. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and here are my PC specs:

-Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (Running at 2.42GHz)
-2GB Kingston DDR2 667 memory (Running in Dual Channel)
-Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
-BFG 8800GTS 320mb OC
-250GB, 80GB and 40GB HDD's
-Using onboard Realtek HD Audio

If anyone else has experienced these random crashes and has found a sollution can you please let me know.

webbo254
08-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I have played the game for about 1-2 hours total and it has crashed twice, I only have this problem with Bioshock. I played for about 1 hour yesterday and it froze, then I have just started playing it again today and it crashed after about 10-15 minutes of playing. There is no select screen/location where it crashes its just random, yesterday I was just walking around and today I was hacking when it crashed. When the game freezes I have to restart the PC using the reset button because the PC will not respond at all. I am using the Nvidia 163.44 BETA drivers that Nvidia recommended installing before playing Bioshock. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and here are my PC specs:

-Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (Running at 2.42GHz)
-2GB Kingston DDR2 667 memory (Running in Dual Channel)
-Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
-BFG 8800GTS 320mb OC
-250GB, 80GB and 40GB HDD's
-Using onboard Realtek HD Audio

If anyone else has experienced these random crashes and has found a sollution can you please let me know.

Also I am running the game at the HIGHEST detail settings with DX10 feature turned ON.

webbo254
08-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Also I am running the game at the HIGHEST detail settings with DX10 feature turned ON.

Also I purchased the game at RETAIL.

Halberd1216
08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Hello

Having big problems with Bioshock on my Pc.

1) No mouse pointer on any menus at start of game....have to sway mouse around at random until i see a menu option change colour,then work from there.

2) cannot progress any further than the first scene where i assume you have crashed....i dont know as the graphics are so corrupted i cannot see what is happenning.

The fire on the water appears ok....but everything else like bubbles ( i think ) are just white blocks,or black blocks of vague shape.

Can only see a red warning light against the black sky.....and thats it..i cant see anything else to actually progress.

Ive tried every graphics setting i can...even changing them in my comps properties as well.

P4 3.00 ghz
4GB 3200 ddr ram
340 gb hard drive
Windows xp up to date
ATI Radeon x800 Pro 512mb

Also wont allow a desktop icon to be placed

Halberd1216
08-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Forgot to mention its a UK Retail version and its set on dx9 not dx10

samyne
08-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Well I have the game for 3 days now, and the longest period of time that I could play was 15 min. Perhaps in total I played an half hour.
That is because the game just keeps crashing over and over again. Somtimes just a CTD, then i crashes when it loads, i had a blue screen, and so on. Al my drivers are up to date. Tried every possible solution that I saw here on the forum but nothing works.

Specs:
AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+
1Gb ram
XFX nvidia geforce 7800gt
X-FI extreme gamer (audio)

The game is retail bioshock CE

And I forgot to say that I use windows xp sp2

trek554
08-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Exact same thing is happening to me, I am also playing on a Dell Inspiron (1520). We can't install the latest video drivers because they are for Desktop NVidia cards only. The latest drivers for us are located at the Dell website (however they're over a month old). I don't think the problem is with our drivers however. It is most likely something to do with Direct X 10 because the game will run for me in Direct x 9 (albeit very choppy, another issue to be addressed).

My specs are in post 220.go here to get the 163.44 beta drivers for laptop http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

mitch6406
08-24-2007, 10:42 AM
If running Vista: Set 'Theme' to 'Classic', (no Aero), no desktop picture. This helped me a lot! - mitch

Windows Vista Ultimate 32b
Antec P180
A8N SLI DLX
AMD 64 FX-60 2.6 Ghz
Kingston PC3200 2 Gb
ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP/768M
Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
WD RaptorHD 150gb S-ATA 10k 16mb buffer
Silverstone Zeus 750w ST75ZF PSU
D-Link DGL-4100 GamerLounge Router
Belkin Nostromo N52
Razer Diamondback
Steam

"Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance."

ashley800
08-24-2007, 10:52 AM
guys if ure getting crashes all the time put it on low or medium graphics u cant tell differnce its runs smooth

trek554
08-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Retail version

AMD 64 3800+
Radeon x800 pro
1 gig RAM
Audigy 2ZS
ATI hotfix drivers

When I start a new game the cut sceen plays but after that the graphics are completely unusable. Can occasionaly make out bits and pieces of images and can move around but can't really make out whats going on. :( :( :mad:do you live in a cave??? your card does NOT meet the minimum requirements of x1300 or better

trek554
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Hello

Having big problems with Bioshock on my Pc.

1) No mouse pointer on any menus at start of game....have to sway mouse around at random until i see a menu option change colour,then work from there.

2) cannot progress any further than the first scene where i assume you have crashed....i dont know as the graphics are so corrupted i cannot see what is happenning.

The fire on the water appears ok....but everything else like bubbles ( i think ) are just white blocks,or black blocks of vague shape.

Can only see a red warning light against the black sky.....and thats it..i cant see anything else to actually progress.

Ive tried every graphics setting i can...even changing them in my comps properties as well.

P4 3.00 ghz
4GB 3200 ddr ram
340 gb hard drive
Windows xp up to date
ATI Radeon x800 Pro 512mb

Also wont allow a desktop icon to be placeddo you live in a cave??? your card does NOT meet the minimum requirements of x1300 or better

magnusr
08-24-2007, 11:08 AM
PC Specifications
- Windows Vista x64 Business with all updates + Directx August 2007
- Intel Quad Core Q6600
- 4GB (2x2GB in Dual Channel) 667MHz DDR2
- Intel P35 chipset (latest intel chipset drivers)
- ATI 2600XT 256MB GDDR4 with ATI bioshock hotfix driver
- Realtek HD Audio ALC889A w R1.72 driver
- Retail box of the game.

With the catalyst 7.8 i had tearing in the game. But managed to get longer into the game, then the image would typically freeze black after docking with the sub and taking that elevator up. Then i could just windows +d and kill the game process in task manager.

With the ati bioshock hotfix driver I get a perfect image, but the game picture stops almsot at the beginning when taking the elevator down to the sub. Typically at the beginning of that movie they are playing for you. Just windows button + d terminate the process in task manager, then everythingi s ok again.

Ive tried the following without it making any diffrence:

- Excluding the game from avast antivirus
- Running the game without DX10 and high detail shaders.
- Running the game in XP SP2 compatible mode.
- Turning of the tablet service in vista
- Graphic driver: first updated the old with the hotfix, later removed the catalyst package + driver then rebooted, then innstaled the hotfix.
- Upgrading my Gigabyte P35-DS3P bios from F4 to F5.
- With and without the vista hotfix Windows6.0_KB940105_x64

Jimmith
08-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Windows XP (32) fully updated
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice)
2 gb ram
Nvidia GeForce 7800gt
SB Audigy 4

Retail version (also applies to demo)

I have the problem discussed in this thread (http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5660&highlight=Sound).
From the thread (see link above) it seems that this is a problem related to Athlon 64 cpu's. There are many with the same problem as me, and everybody reports an A64 in their system.
Drivers for cpu, sound card and graphics card have been updated to no effect.

My frame rate is fine and stable, but audio stutters, crackles and pops.
The more sounds played at once, the worse the problem gets. Action sequences are a total mess, vocals are terrifying and the game is rendered unplayable.

In addition to this: Textures seems to load slowly. After i load up a game it can take anywhere from 1-15 seconds before the are i am in are clothed in non-blurry textures. This does not apply to all textures but a few each time i load up, and seemingly chosen at random. This is not a game breaking thing, but rather irritating non the less.

Pretty please, look into this. I was really hoping to get to play this game this weekend :) .

anexsia
08-24-2007, 11:30 AM
The only problem i'm having right now with Bioshock is the frequent crashes. First off my system specifications again though...

Retail Limited Edition Bioshock

Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate (Latest drivers for everything)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / F5e Bios
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8GHz @ 3.2GHz
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 320MB @ 625/2000 (163.44 Nvidia Beta Drivers)
4GB DDR2-800 (4 x 1) 2 G.Skill Sticks & 2 OCZ Sticks @ 4-4-4-12 890MHz
Seagate 7200.10 SATAII 320GB Harddrive
* That's all stable overclocks, and trust me I've tried everything at stock also

I'm experiencing frequent bluescreens and crashing related to the game (example: the common Bioshock.exe has stopped working that everyone has been getting) that is preventing me from playing. I have all settings on maximum including VSYNC and using DX10. I experience the crashes between 5-20 minutes of playing and they seem to maybe be related to the Nvidia drivers or DX10 as if I force the game to use DX9 and No High Detail Shaders, i'm able to play the game longer but then it will crash after saving or while trying to use a vending machine.

Sorry to post again, but I hope this will give you guys more information.

BloodRayne
08-24-2007, 11:35 AM
The game won't start, nothing happens when I try to click 'play game' in the autorun menu. When I start the executable via the shortcut or start menu it says 'Bioshock was not configured correctly' in a prompt and the prompt closes.

- Windows XP Pro SP2
- Amd Athlon XP2800+
- 1 GB Ram
- Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
- Creative SB Audigy 2
- Retail Europe (Holland)

:(

*sad is*

chronos
08-24-2007, 11:38 AM
First, El specs:

Intel Core2 Duo (2.13ghz)

GeForce 7950 GX2

Intel D975XBXLKR Socket 775 Motherboard

1GB ram

Microsoft XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

Now, when I first got the game tuesday, it ran pretty crappy, and I could go through the entire first section (plane crash), up to the loading beyond the bathysphere. After that, windows would either...

A) Stop the program with the "We're sorry, but we have to shut down this program blah blah blah..." message during/immediately after the loading screen, or...

B) Continue into the level, and then within 20 seconds BSoD and restart the computer too fast to read the error report (The most I've been able to read is something about an infinite loop).

Whenever situation A occurred, I checked the report to see what could be causing it, and it referred to MSVCR80.DLL. I used my antivirus windows integrity checker and lo and behold that program, along with several others such as a lot of .net framework stuff, were missing that .dll and another one called MSVCP80.dll. I downloaded a new copy of MSVCR80.dll, ran the program again, and ran into exactly the same problem, except it referred to MSVCP80.dll this time. So I downloaded a copy of THAT and put it in the appropriate place as well (".../windows/system" is where they're apparently supposed to go). Afterwards, I still got the same error report (Yes, at the same time), except now it only referred to the bioshock.exe itself and nothing else. Another check with the windows integrity scanner showed no problems with either of the missing .dll files.

At this point, I just said "screw it", and formatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp. (I needed to anyway - the os had been acting weird lately, and I suspected one of the quirks of the os was messing with the game.)

So I've got the entire operating system reinstalled, I installed (among a couple other things) the drivers for my video card that came with my video card, then the beta drivers recommended for the game, then directx9.0c, then bioshock itself again.

Upon playing it again, I noticed that I had nearly doubled my framerate from the previous os install, and I could now get into the 2nd loaded area in the game. The game seemed to run fine, with occasional crashes here and there that I've chalked up to the game just being version 1.0 so far.

However.

Suddenly, I'm getting the EXACT same problems that I had before when going into another loading screen, the exact same error report and crash, and the exact same missing .dll files. As much as I'd like to continue playing the game, I'm hesitant to reinstall the os for every loaded area in it.

Halberd1216
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
do you live in a cave??? your card does NOT meet the minimum requirements of x1300 or better

Thank you for the well structured and polite response,i would have replied sooner but the cave in live in has intermittent broad band supply.

I can appreciate Bioshock might be graphically demanding when you have it on max settings.

My system is used purely as a entertainment/games station,at with it performs absolute top-notch in every other game i own,including my recent favorite STALKER....which i can run on full graphics and effects at a blistering good FPS.

No disputing its my fault if the games box has a hardware setting i do not meet with my system...even if i did not have a clue what a x1300 or better is.Well we live and learn....but ill quite simply be stuffed if i going into that silly little rat race of junking a excellent graphics card..just to play the latest and greatest...and ONLY game to need x1300 or better.

Ah well....it would have been fun to play Bioshock...looks like ill give my neighbor a early Birthday present.

medic911
08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Game completely crashes immediately after the biosphere trip at the beginning. EVERY time.

Completely unplayable, unless I wish to relive the plane crash over-and-over-and-over-and-over.

-------------------------------------------------------
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 (3.2 gig, I believe)
1 gig of RAM
a brand spankin' new 3.0 shader supportin' Geforce 7600GS with 512 megs of ram
The retail version, bought at Best Buy
All of the latest patches
Framerates are very good and everything looks terrific, right up until the crash.

Narfig
08-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Bioshock unplayable for more than a few minutes. Stuttering sound followed by hard crashes in full screen, or crazy graphics corruption in windowed mode. Happens regardless of settings. Demo ran like a champ.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Asus A8N-sli Motherboard
Nvidia 8500gt, 512mb, ForceWare Release 163
2g of ram
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio

Pre-Purchased through Steam. I've deleted and redownloaded just in case. Infact, I can't think of anything left to do.. :( Very dissapointed.

BloodRayne
08-24-2007, 11:57 AM
The game won't start, nothing happens when I try to click 'play game' in the autorun menu. When I start the executable via the shortcut or start menu it says 'Bioshock was not configured correctly' in a prompt and the prompt closes.

- Windows XP Pro SP2
- Amd Athlon XP2800+
- 1 GB Ram
- Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
- Creative SB Audigy 2
- Retail Europe (Holland)

:(

*sad is*

Just to add to my post, that I never had any signs of an activation or a place to put in my key. It just installed, patched then nothing. Ran the shortcut and it bombs with this exact error:

'This application cannot be started, because the configuration of the application is wrong. Please reinstall this application'.

I reinstalled twice.

SIRWolfe
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Graphics are fantastic etc but after the main menu and when i get into the game I have no sound what so ever in the game :(((((( all this waiting and its really hard to play with no sound please help

6700 @ 2.66ghz duo core
2 gig of ram
2 x 7950gt 512mb in sli
p6nSLI motherboard, 650i SLI chipset with realtek alc888 audio

SIRWolfe
08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
oh forgot running windows vista premium all updated and direct x and everything updated

BloodRayne
08-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Just to add to my post, that I never had any signs of an activation or a place to put in my key. It just installed, patched then nothing. Ran the shortcut and it bombs with this exact error:

'This application cannot be started, because the configuration of the application is wrong. Please reinstall this application'.

I reinstalled twice.

FIXED IT.
the solution that I found is this:

1. downloaded this: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe
2. ran it as an administrator
3. when installed went to start>all programs>Windows Install Cleanup
4. selected "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable"
5. hit the remove button
6. installed the vcredist_x86.exe from the game disk
7. The game ran into the auth process.

Labman
08-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm getting random crashes about every 5 min of playing time. The game just locks up and the MS error box opens asking if I wish to report the error (which I can't, as I don't have broadband and am not therefore always online). I have tried many different settings with no luck. I have even started again with a fresh install of Windows XP to see if it was just OS degradation which it's not.

System specs:

P4 HT 3.06 Ghz
1 Gig PC 4200
Nvidia 7900GS 256 meg - recommended beta drivers
Soundblaster XFi platinum - most recent drivers.
Windows XP (SP2) - all updates and patches
Logitech G15 keyboard.
Most recent version DX9

I really have to say the crashing and problems with Bioshock have been a total surprise as I have been looking forward to this game for well over a year and expected the highest quality standards from Irrational. The last game to give me this many problems was Half Life and that was almost 10 years ago. Please help and save me from having to buy an Xbox 360.
Thansk

Nodders
08-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Nodders View Post
Specs: Vista32 Ultimate, 2GB DDR2, 8800GTS 320MB, onboard sound.

Runmode: In XP SP2 compatability mode and DX9 due to no sound outside menu/cut-scenes.

Issue: The game ran perfectly during "Welcome to Rapture". However during Medical Facility the game CTDs regularly at random intervals. This behaviour has been consistent for Medical Facility.
Just spied the teh info sticky and realised I forgot to mention a couple of spec items.

As above, but spec includes a Q6600 quadcore @2.4. Sku is retail

Update....

This post (http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7433)fixed the problem in Medical Facility, so looks like a high end graphics thing (in DX9?). Now I get crashes when loading into Neptune.

faet
Sometimes game crashes at load screen. If im lucky it'll crash 10sec-1min after load screen. First level is fairly 'fine' only had 1-3 crashes, one which caused a corrupted save file so I had to restart from beginning. After that, got to medical wing fine, and then it started crashing.

updated drivers, updated to beta drivers, updated direct x9, tried window mode with medium settings, tried -dx9 in shortcut. still problems.

onboard sound
opterson 165 @ 1.8ghz
8800GTS
2 gigs DDR ram
win xp pro x64.

supercubedude
I think I fixed my problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia beta drivers. Good luck to everyone.

Furious_T
08-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Add me to the non-playable list. After fighting the install process for an hour I was finally able to get Bioshock to install. Originally the game would install up to the Update stage and then it would kick up an "Please insert original disc and make sure that this is not a copy-Securom" then the installation would stop.(uhhhh....It is the original disc Mr. Securom) I had to completely disable my Norton internet security/firewalls and then disable DMA in IDE/ATA ATAPI Controller in the device manager for my drives. It took longer to install but installed.

I was able to play the first level for a while and all was well.....or so I thought. I shut down my PC and went to bed. Upon trying to launch the game now it simply hangs up at the "BIOSHOCK" load screen after I launch my saved game. I am getting the "Bioshock.exe is no responding and is shutting down" error message. I hope a fix is coming very soon to correct these problems!!

This game is one of the reasons I recently built my new PC and not being able to play it is a serious let down.

CPU: Intel Core Duo E6850
MB: EVGA 680I LT SLI
MEM: 4GB TWIN2X2048-6400C4 Corsair
HD: Dual Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB Serial ATA striped
GFX Card:EVGA 8800 GTX 768MB
Bioshock Retail DVD
Recent Nvidia drivers

Furious_T

HeinzHarald
08-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm having the issue of black boxes and whole textures missing. Usually it's just a corpse here or a pile of rubble there (I run into it once every few minutes or so). But the cinematic following your first plasmid had huge black boxes (this is the only time I've had black boxes so far, though I'm only about 30 minutes into the game), the rest of the time it's entire textures missing). Worth noting that I didn't have this problem in the demo at the resolution I'm using right now (more on that below).

Standing next to a pitch black pile of rubble (everything around it was lighted just fine) I set my setting to Low. That made them appear. I then set my settings back to High and the pile of rubble was there just as it should. This made me think it could be some video RAM issue, but shouldn't 256MB video RAM be enough for 1024x768 that I use? When I tried 1280x1024 in the demo I got black boxes in a couple of places, but never at 1024x768.

My system:
Core2Duo E6750
2GB DDR800
7900GT 256MB 163.44 beta drivers
Intel P35 based motherboard
August 07 release of DirectX
Steam version of game

I'm going to try one thing. I've set my page file to a fixed amount (1500MB). I'll double that and see if it makes any difference (though 2GB RAM +1500MB page ought to be enough one would think).

I'll probably try an earlier graphics driver as well.

HeinzHarald
08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
My system:
Core2Duo E6750
2GB DDR800
7900GT 256MB 163.44 beta drivers
Intel P35 based motherboard
August 07 release of DirectX
Steam version of game

Oh and I'm using XP SP2.

NReale3370
08-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure if this is a "problem" per se, but I have an AMD 3800+ (2.4 Ghz) CPU, Nvidia 7950GT graphics card w/ 512MB, and 2GB RAM and the game gets very VERY choppy, it appears to be completely maxing out my CPU when it gets choppy. I know the game was designed for a dual-core processor and stuff but that seems like an awful lot of CPU load for a game.

STACKAGUCCI
08-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm running Intel Quad 2.4
Crucial 2 gigs 667
Dual SLI Nvidia 8800 GTS
MSI P6N SLI Platinum Motherboard
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Bioshock's retail version.

Worked fine 'til a while back; changing resolution settings would freeze the game. Then, it shut down my system, and won't run at all. Black screen on startup, have to C-A-D and close the app. Latest drivers for everything. Please help; I'd like to get back to my splicer glamor shots.

Ragonous
08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Earlier, I posted this:
System Specs:
3.50GB ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT

Now:
The one way Ive found to get the game to play was to switch the game to play in Direct X9 mode from the games menu in Vista
Unfortunatly, the game crashed as I was trying to load the second level.

trek554
08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Earlier, I posted this:
System Specs:
3.50GB ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT

Now:
The one way Ive found to get the game to play was to switch the game to play in Direct X9 mode from the games menu in Vista
Unfortunatly, the game crashed as I was trying to load the second level.you can get the 163.44 drivers for your laptop here http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

hankjandrell
08-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi all,
I was somewhat freaking out yesterday as I was suffering from all of the above, no sound after intro, game crashes, not responding issues, blank screens - the lot.

My rig is as follows:

Vista 32
Dual Core 6400
8800 - 320Mb
2Gig Ram
RealTek High Definition - onboard sound
Retail game

I was using the beta nvida drivers recommened etc.

To solve the sound issue I, as suggested, ran the game in xp service pack 2 compatability mode but was still getting the blank screen/game crashes.

Today i decided to check realtek for sound drivers and saw there was an updated driver available here: (for high definition on Vista 32)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs

I installed the driver, rebooted, then de-selected compatability mode in the Bioshock shortcut.

And since then -- 2 hours in... not a single crash or glitch --- fingers crossed.

So hope this helps peeps with a similar rig and issue.

See you in game :)

Empirax
08-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Sound stuttering problem making the game unplayable. I'm running an amd athalon 64, 3gb ram, ati radeon x1300, realtek ac-97 sound.

dntfkingcare
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
PC Specifications
-Operating System - Windows XP Professional 32-bit
-Processor Type - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz
-Amount of Ram - 2.5GB
-Video Card Manufacturer and Model - BFG nVidia GeForce 7600 GT
-Audio Card - Creative Sound Blaster Auigyy SE
-Which Sku - Retail Box

Problem:

The demo ran just fine when I downloaded and tried it. I went and purchased the retail game. It installed just fine, but as soon as I try to play the game my computer blue screens.

Mecho
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi all:)

This game looks awesome!! BUT I get random crashes which all appear to be the same trigger :

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8007EF80E0
BCP2: FFFFF980040D5800
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

System

Vista 64
GA-P35C-DS3R
QX6700@2.7ghz
4 Gig Ballistix Ram
BFG 8800 GTX OC2 768MB
Creative SB X-Fi Fat Pro
Dx10

Updated all drivers prior to launching game, any help would be great thanks :)

fishgeek
08-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Exact same thing happens to me. I posted many pages back about it, along with my specs, but I've got ones that are very similar to yours. Screen just goes all black and then nothing happens? Because that's what is going on with mine.

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Man, this sucks. And here I thought I bought the latest and greatest laptop with a video card that supports DX10, and this is what I get?