PDA

View Full Version : Civilization V On Linux

morpheusthecat
05-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Hi there, anyone knows if there are plans or proposals to have Civilization 5 also in a Linux (Ubuntu) version without using Wine or any other windows emulator? :confused:

For example I played CIV IV with Wine on my ubuntu system, but I couldn't play the expansions and had some minor problems anyway. :(
I think that a multi-platform project would be really appreciated by these milions of people that preferred to... "keep the Windows closed".:p

Bye everyone.:D

Yachmenev
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Since the game is Steamworks enabled, and Steam very soon will be available for Linux, it seems like they now how a very good chance of expanding the audience. It would be nice if they could make this extra effort.

eireksten
05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
and Steam very soon will be available for Linux

Source? I thought this was still just a rumor. Either way, I wouldn't be too sure that Firaxis/2K would want to try something like this. If Steam is released for Linux, I'm guessing they'll want to see how popular it is first.

Yachmenev
05-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Source? I thought this was still just a rumor. Either way, I wouldn't be too sure that Firaxis/2K would want to try something like this. If Steam is released for Linux, I'm guessing they'll want to see how popular it is first.

There is confirmation about in the Steam files for Mac.

eireksten
05-14-2010, 06:56 PM
That's hardly confirmation. They could easily be using Linux for simple tests in-house, without any plans of developing it further for release to the public.

Yachmenev
05-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Believe what you want. I havenīt enough interest in Linux to google it for you.

eireksten
05-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I've read about this myself, so there's no need to google it for me. Phoronix have been reporting these "confirmations" in the code for Steam the last two years now. They always make claims that it is "official" now. Valve, on the other hand, have yet to make any statements on the matter. To

I realize that a few news sites have also recently stated that Steam for Linux is official and will be released the coming months, but to me it looks more like assumptions (possibly based on Phoronix' being too quick on the trigger). I've been disappointed enough times already to assume it is official.

So while I feel certain it will happen some time in the future, I won't consider those things confirmation that it is happening very soon. To me, they'll be classified as rumors until Valve says anything on the matter.

Btw, I care very much about games coming to Linux. That would allow me to get rid of Windows altogether (currently dual booting for games).

edit: Anyway, even if they were releasing Steam for Linux, I doubt Firaxis will be all over porting Civ5 to it. At least not immediately.

FISKER_Q
05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7715209/Steam-for-Mac-goes-live.html

According to them Valve confirmed it, you could argue that they just read the rumors and posted them, but firstly i don't even think they know the site, and secondly surely they should be able to distinguish confirmation from Valve vs. a rumor post on an relatively unknown obscure blogging site on Linux news.

Personally i'm wondering if this haven't been in the pipeline for a very long time now, look at Postal 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_III), they confirmed Mac and Linux support 2 years ago.

The thing is that they're a very small developement team, it seems unreal that they would have the resources to port the Source engine to Mac and Linux, so personally i think that source licensees have been aware of this Mac/Linux compatibility for years now.

nonmercipasdecafe
05-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I am also very interested in a linux native release and want 2K to know we now are a lot of gamers awaiting for that.
I also hope that if there is no linux native release, the developpers will at least test it and make it easy to run within wine, and document the installation on linux systems.

The more we are asking for a linux version, the better chance we have...
So here is my participation.

eireksten
05-14-2010, 08:58 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7715209/Steam-for-Mac-goes-live.html

According to them Valve confirmed it, you could argue that they just read the rumors and posted them

Not very surprised if one news site went with the rumors, and others simply copied them (see the similarity (http://www.sevensidedcube.net/technology/2010/steam-for-mac-goes-live-steam-for-mac-now-obtainable/)?). As Phoronix have taken up the mission of confirming this every other month, they've gotten pretty good at having it look official.

I find it a bit weird that no one's seen any places where Valve confirmed it. So until Valve announces Steam for Linux, I won't consider it confirmed.

civ_king
05-15-2010, 10:33 AM
If it does come to Linux be prepared to being third class citizens (second class is occupied by Mac users)
plus there are so many version of Linux out there

though Steam coming to Mac should help (Mac was based off BSD)

Aenima
06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
to add a voice to have a linux version, for the moment i play at civ iv bts (even with the mod Fall From Heaven 2) with Wine on my ubuntu, and ok it works but it's not perfect. And i imagine that when civ v will be available, it will not work immediatly with wine. So it will be frustated (i don't have dual boot and i don't want dual boot with windows)

I think that now a linux distribution such as Ubuntu is as easy to use (or install) as windows, so it will be very good if some compagnies as Firaxis/2K Games begin to think about porting their games on linux ...

sauron
06-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Adding my interest, and support in having a linux version!

Peregrinati
06-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Native Linux binaries would be the bees knees, but I'm not too hopeful. It's an unfortunately small market.

Canucker
06-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Native Linux binaries would be the bees knees, but I'm not too hopeful. It's an unfortunately small market.

Agreed, but it would be very nice to have it rather than relying on Wine... It wasn't until the 1.1.x Wine betas that a lot of graphical issues got resolved, and now they've broken it again in Wine 1.2-rc2 and above!

My copy of BtS is completely useless until I decide to go back to the last stable one (which returns all the graphical issues), or else they fix it... And I was just trying out a new strategy! :(

EDIT: Wine 1.2-rc5 seems to have fixed all the problems again. I think I'll stick with this one until 1.2 goes out!

sauron
06-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Small, but a hungry market which has been really starved for good commercial games!

peaceful ironmonger
06-27-2010, 09:43 AM
If they port it to Linux, then EVERYBODY will want it on their platform. Apple iOS for iPhone and iPad, and Mac OS XIIXV. Wii and XBOX, and then of course Solaris and other flavors of Unix; you know, for the guys working late nights in the server rooms at Google. Palm, Blackberry, and of course every Droid phone user would want it. In the FREE app store, no less. The kids would want to be able to offer it on their Facebook walls, and everybody would want to get RSS notifications or Twitter "Tweets" whenever somebody discovered "Internet"; thank you Al Gore...:p

Then the people still using Windows NT, 95, or 3.1 would demand it. And mainframe people would want it to run under IMS or CICS.

It's only a matter of time before some 57 year old dude still living with his mom in Wisconsin would want it on his DR-DOS system. :eek:

I can see it now: Overinundated and now aimless in direction, Firaxis would never finish the beta. Meanwhile, the nVIDIA users will wonder why the framerate is so low, and the ATI people will ☺☺☺☺☺☺ about the thing not working under Eyefinity. The mainframers would clamor for the app to be rewritten in assembler, and at the end of it all, stress-induced heart disease would run rampant in the halls at Firaxis, while both Firaxis and 2K games go broke trying to make that guy in Wisconsin happy. :eek:

F/2K, please draw the line now. Say "NO" and put it up in bright lights on the home page!

:p :D

Peregrinati
06-27-2010, 03:03 PM
If they port it to Linux, then EVERYBODY will want it on their platform. *snip*

I think that should be changed to "if they make a good game, then EVERYBODY will want it on their platform." :P It doesn't really matter if it's on Linux or not for Mac (XBox, Commodore 64, Gameboy, etc, etc) users to wish it ran on their machine.

Anyways, it's not going to happen; it wouldn't make them enough $$. Wine stands a chance, but I don't think 2k will put any effort into it.

alebum
07-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Anyways, it's not going to happen; it wouldn't make them enough $$. Wine stands a chance, but I don't think 2k will put any effort into it.

just as I was hearing my own thouhts in this matter...

manthos
03-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Then I just hope 2k doesn't mind that Linux users will prefer to download an illegal copy of the game if they want to try playing it. I mean, after all, it's not a violation of the law if your system can't run it, is it? :D

Now, if you found a way to run it, that might make a case but still, it's going to be buggy so in no way does it justify the company wanting Linux users to pay full price for a program that doesn't run smoothly on their systems, right? :rolleyes:

Can't wait for Win8 to come out and finally differentiate between imbaciles who want a shiny os with huge, pretty buttons, and the rest of us who want a real desktop experience....

manthos
03-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Then I just hope 2k doesn't mind that Linux users will prefer to download an illegal copy of the game if they want to try playing it. I mean, after all, it's not a violation of the law if your system can't run it, is it? :D

Now, if you found a way to run it, that might make a case but still, it's going to be buggy so in no way does it justify the company wanting Linux users to pay full price for a program that doesn't run smoothly on their systems, right? :rolleyes:

Can't wait for Win8 to come out and finally differentiate between imbaciles who want a shiny os with huge, pretty buttons, and the rest of us who want a real desktop experience....
And before any one gets all judgemental, yeah I use Linux and the only game I've ever bothered to install through Wine was Vampire:Bloodlines a game I purchased a long time ago and it worked like a charm.

japester
03-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Just a reminder to folks that we have a zero tolerance policy about piracy talk. Advocating it gets you banned. End of discussion.

Black Gate of Mordor
03-13-2012, 06:00 AM
@ manthos

If you've got Linux, you've probably got either a Mac OS or Windows, correct? How about you play on there?

Also, Windows 8 will be nothing like we've ever seen before. And not in a good way.

FISKER_Q
03-13-2012, 06:29 AM

First of all, those laws typically only apply to copy protection, in which case you may legally circumvent the protection if it is nessecary to play the game, and secondly, you still have to pay for the product in this case :)

Lastly, you may even be able to run Civ 5/Expansion using Wine, and probably with greater compatibility due to the mac version.

Just a reminder to folks that we have a zero tolerance policy about piracy talk. Advocating it gets you banned. End of discussion.
Funny, that guy i reported like a month ago saying he would download the pirated version of the new expansion seemed to be tolerated just fine, while i've myself gotten an infraction on the gearbox forum for discussing what torrent client(not piracy, btw) i preferred.

mattcrwi
03-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Holy thread necro batman.

Guess all that talk of steam on linux was just an OS X version all along...

FISKER_Q
03-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Holy thread necro batman.

Guess all that talk of steam on linux was just an OS X version all along...

There were actual seperate Linux and Mac versions, the reason why the Linux version was "leaked" was because it shared a lot of shell script code with the OSX version, so from that people downloaded the Linux version and got a very buggy build running (That couldn't even login).

But of course it turned out to not be released, for now atleast.

japester
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Funny, that guy i reported like a month ago saying he would download the pirated version of the new expansion seemed to be tolerated just fine, while i've myself gotten an infraction on the gearbox forum for discussing what torrent client(not piracy, btw) i preferred.

First, I'm not aware of the older situation you are referring to, but actual punishments are generally kept private. The person in question may have indeed by contacted by the mod team. Open reminders, like this one, are done at our discretion.

Second, Gearbox runs their own forum by their own rules. Apples and oranges. But I will tell you that a torrent discussion here might also be shut down, since let's face it--torrents are the primary tools for piracy, regardless of their legitimate uses. Discussing them on a game forum is at the very least in poor taste, and at worst an open insult. There are far more appropriate places to discuss that topic.