Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Changes (Updated 10/20)

hate to bug u but what about the cattle, sheep and dear resources that give less food than a normal farm? or was it intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Joren View Post
    Might this be what you're looking for?

Workers – Improved the path-finding mechanic when building route-to roads improved, including a large performance increase when evaluating road-pathing.

-- Joren
    Really hope it is that as everything else is secondary. Or at least a chunk of it. Don't understand why the game is so slow only uses 20% of all four cores of an i7, hope the devs do!

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    The worker pathfinder change improves the turn-processing time by a small amount, but not so much that you'd probably notice it. The developers are looking in to improvements that can be made to this aspect but nothing in this patch so far will have a significant effect.
    Thank you for the response and for clearing that up

Still no word on if the 70 city limit which prevents players from having any type of huge game over a long period of time is being fixed?

Also is this the patch that is coming before 2011?

Hey nice update.

Since this is my first post here I want to say that I actually really like Civ 5, it runs great on my system, has only crashed once and really like the new direction. I liked Civ 4 as well they're just different, I don't mind change that much.

That said, there is one thing I'd like to see changed now that units can embark, is there any way to make it so workers do not automatically embark and cross the ocean? A little checkbox or global setting will do. It's so frustrating to make a city on another island or continent and then a few turns later see a fleet of undefended workers making their way across the ocean just to lose a few. I'd rather build them on the new island/continent myself or have to manually move them over to the new location.

Aside from that I think Civ 5's a great game and look forward to the patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Numi View Post
    Still no word on if the 70 city limit which prevents players from having any type of huge game over a long period of time is being fixed?

I believe it was said before that this crash had something to do with trade routes, so I think this comment means its fixed:
    Economy – Multiple fixes to the way trade-routes are tabulated and recognized.

Ah, some great news indeed! very happy.

any mention on Civs hating your guts when you liberate them? surely this is not working as desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Numi View Post

I just checked in to this and I am happy to say that yes, the 70 city crash bug is one of the crash fixes.

This is great news!
    But as I wrote in some other thread before: Please do not forget to also patch the demo. For me, validating if the issues I had are resolved now will determine whether I'll buy the game or not.

How about the bug where people with DX10/11 cards crash when playing in that mode (yet DX9 works completely fine)? There is a big stickied thread about it on the support forums, would love that fixed!

As was mentioned in the very first reply to this thread, a fix to the MASSIVE (atm, I'm playing with almost 3 minute loads) loading times between turns. It seems its most likely caused by worker calculations. I believe the thread examining the problem was also posted in the first reply. That would really make my life a looooooot easier in CIV.

I'm looking forward to general AI (especially in any and all diplomacy settings) improvements in future patches.

Awesome that the jumping camera got fixed!

Excellent Start

Hello Greg (and Firaxis by extension),

Just a quick thank-you for this list, it makes the interim period between 'release day' and 'oh my god this game is for real day' a little less uncertain. The list looks like a good start and there are a lot of things in there that I am happy to see already being brought out for the first major patch. Out of curiosity, and from a perspective of near-total ignorance regarding how these processes in the software development industry work, I just have a few questions that remain and would love to have answered if it is at all possible:

- How long is the team funded to work on patches to lift this game up and at what point is it set (if not already) to transition toward the production of more profit-making pursuits (i.e. DLC, expansions)? I assume that these will be simultaneous processes at some point and for some time (i.e. 20% of the team works on the next game, 80% on patches until 'day x', at which point it changes), but would love to know the details if you have them handy..

- Are some of the 'bigger picture' critiques that have been voiced on these forums going to be addressed down the road, after the immediate problems of crashes and bugs are addressed? -- I am thinking specifically about further development of the diplomacy (both the AI and the actual options), expansion of detail in the Civilopedia, and perhaps even additions to the audio given to the leaders (for instance, having the leaders speak every time there is a message, rather than two or no words for some dialogue)?

- Will Firaxis prefer to release several large patches, spaced further apart, or is the nature of the team's development process skewed more toward a multitude of smaller patches released more frequently?

- Are there any bigger-idea changes that you have seen mentioned frequently on these forums since release that have been ruled out as certainly not in the works in terms of future patches/expansions? While I ask almost exclusively because of curiosity, I bet there are a host of modders out there that would be interested to know this themselves so as to not waste time creating a mod that Firaxis is actually hoping to do itself to the vanilla game.

Cheers, and thanks again for the details!

Actually, I think it's a GREAT start to fixes. Thanks, Greg for checking specifics for us. You've been superb.

I just checked in to this and I am happy to say that yes, the 70 city crash bug is one of the crash fixes.
    Im going to celebrate this news big time

Thanks for the update, what about some time frame indication? days,weeks,months?

Thanks much, Greg!!! You rock!!! Looking forward to it very much!

Might I humbly suggest a couple of great, but seemingly simple, additions?

* Add "Go-to (all units in tile)" -- I can't count how many times I have wanted to move a Settler with a military unit, or move a Great General with another unit. Also, once embarked bugs are fixed, I would like to move embarked units with naval defenders. As of right now, it is very difficult to use go-to that way...in fact, often times the routes selected are different even if the movement points are the same. This simple addition would streamline a ton, and seems pretty easy to add.

* Along those lines, fix embarked unit bugs (as best as I can tell, an embarked military unit retains its land military unit status, which causes things like embarked units blockade cities, and enemy land units' ZOCs affect embarked units' movement); see CivFanatics Confirmed Bugs for saves. This also means an embarked unit (which cannot attack/defend) is not currently allowed to be stacked with a defender, contrary to what the manual states.

* Fix "Go-to" to not trespass on City-States. If you want to trespass, you must do so manually.

* Allow changing directories in save/load games

* Add save button to multiplayer
    Last edited by butsam; 10-12-2010 at 08:14 AM.

I believe the timeline is on the order of weeks. End of the month might not be too optimistic? Until they can tell Greg something official, we won't know.

Greg,

I hate to be a bother, I really do. A lot of the proposed changes look absolutely phenomenal. I think that it will clear up a lot of issues that we were having.

As a quick aside, I didn't see you touch on the fact that currently Babylon is locked for multiplayer games. Quite a few of us are concerned that this obvious oversight isn't addressed.

If you plan on keeping them single-player, could you elaborate on why we weren't notified that would be the case? Or if you plan on "unlocking" them could you please inform us when that will be addresed?

Again, I hate to be debbie-downer, when quite a few glaring needs are met in this patch. I'm just bothered that this wasn't touched upon. If you could please respond I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daitanis View Post
    Greg,

I hate to be a bother, I really do. A lot of the proposed changes look absolutely phenomenal. I think that it will clear up a lot of issues that we were having.

As a quick aside, I didn't see you touch on the fact that currently Babylon is locked for multiplayer games. Quite a few of us are concerned that this obvious oversight isn't addressed.

If you plan on keeping them single-player, could you elaborate on why we weren't notified that would be the case? Or if you plan on "unlocking" them could you please inform us when that will be addresed?

Again, I hate to be debbie-downer, when quite a few glaring needs are met in this patch. I'm just bothered that this wasn't touched upon. If you could please respond I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you.
    It's something we're looking in to but will not be in this patch.

Question

It's something we're looking in to but will not be in this patch.
    Greg,

Thank you for responding. Whereas its not the news I was hoping to hear, at least I know that it won't be in this patch.

To further elaborate, could you let us know why they weren't advertised as a single-player only civilization? I was expecting to play this civ with my friends, which is one of the reasons I spent the extra $10 for the special edition on Direct2Drive.

Also, when future civs are being released, will this be the way they are introduced? As single-player only at first, then introduced later on to the multiplayer game?

The civs currently available in single-player are very good and well-balanced. I plan on purchasing more civs when they are released in DLC's in the future (Spain, Mongolia, Vikings, etc.) I have, and will continue to support your company because I am a huge fan of the series. I'm just curious if balance-testing, or because not everyone has the civ currently is what is holding back Babylon.

If you can't elaborate I understand, I'm sure that you folks have quite a bit to work out. I'm just curious. Thank you for attempting to improve the game and creating this thread. Enjoy your night.

Quote Originally Posted by Daitanis View Post
    To further elaborate, could you let us know why they weren't advertised as a single-player only civilization? I was expecting to play this civ with my friends, which is one of the reasons I spent the extra $10 for the special edition on Direct2Drive.
    If I were to guess the problem here is what happens when you play the game against someone who doesn't have the Babylon DLC.

How would the multiplayer interface handle that game if one of the parties doesn't have it?

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    If I were to guess the problem here is what happens when you play the game against someone who doesn't have the Babylon DLC.

How would the multiplayer interface handle that game if one of the parties doesn't have it?
    This is true, and I understand that. Likewise, if I play against someone who DOES have the civ, it doesn't let me play it regardless.

Most games have some coding built into them which allows people to see things which they haven't purchased. I suppose the easiest example would be a game like League of Legends, where even if you haven't purchased the newest champion, the game will still allow you to play against them, you can see their movements, etc. I would imagine that this would be an effective marketing technique, since it demonstrates the powers and abilities of the new character.

I don't see why Civ couldn't do something similar. Even if Babylon's unit/building were introduced, I doubt that it would have a negative impact on sales. If anything, it would encourage people who don't own the civ to purchase them, once they are available as a seperate download.

Again, just my thoughts. I just wish that it was advertised or explained more clearly that this would be a single-player civ when introduced. It sounds like eventually they will be unlocked, which I'm happy about. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Well I noticed the DLC folder for Babylon actually contains files for the Civ. Meaning people that don't own might not have the Civ installed fully on their game at all an so wouldn't be able to see it in multiplayer. If that's how its set up then yeah it needs fixing. I just hope we don't have to wait until the end of the year when they add the 2 other DLC civs to see it revamped to work correctly.

But this patch has some nice stuff in terms of fixes thanks for the info. I would be interested to know how the game designers feel about fan reaction to a lot of their design decisions though. Such as whether they will consider making the AI diplomacy behave more like it did in previous games or if it will continue to act irrational just because its playing to win.

A bigger initial patch than I'd expected, this is great! Thanks be to Greg for getting the details out as soon as he could.

Four other things I'm hoping they'll also add in a future patch:
    -Expanded Diplomacy Overview (can see general comp AI attitudes towards each other, and deals they have with each other, perhaps?)
    -Ability to move multiple air units (the patch helps with this a tiny bit it seems, but won't move whole stacks of air units--you'll still have to pick each individual aircraft and move it)
    -AI no longer act hostile to you upon liberation (unless you declare war on them or demand things).
    -Should be able to control where the camera goes (i.e. it won't whisk away to a worker right after you've selected production in a city. Since Civ V's interface was meant to be removed from Civ IV's "you must do this" list, according to promotional talk and intro gameplay, Civ V's camera should allow you more control).
    Last edited by Mythdracon; 10-12-2010 at 10:06 AM.

@Greg
    Will you fix the memory leak Problem too in this patch?

MULTIPLAYER
    But will AI slots in MP actually contact you like they do in SP (almost no diplomacy at all from AI used in MP)? Because currently they don't and act much dumber than their SP counterparts making it completely pointless to play with any AI in MP. This is my single biggest gripe at the moment and I hope it gets fixed soon.
    Last edited by istry555; 10-12-2010 at 10:40 AM.

...Word...
    UI
    • Aircraft banner corrections – now when you rebase an aircraft, the number will move with it.
    • Added option to disable auto-unit cycling.

GAMEPLAY
    • Workers - Added option to force workers to ignore manually made improvements (so they don’t change what you decide was best for a plot).
    • Economy – Increased city wealth setting to 25%
    • Economy - Can now sell Buildings in a city (to help lower maintenance for obsolete buildings later in the game).
    • Military – Fix for Minuteman movement.
    • Military - Improved unit cycling logic. Camera will jump around much less.

AI
    • Anything.

MISC
    • Research treaties that end because you declare war will no longer grant the free tech
    • Save/Load – Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.
    • Map - Huge map crash-during-load fix that were reported on some specific systems.
    • Map – Terrain caching fix that could cause problems for certain video cards (the “glowing red orbs” seen on the map are an indicator of this).
    These changes are huge. I can't express how satisfied I am to see this.

26. Woohoo! Thanks Greg! Awesome stuff in this patch!

Thanks very much for the patch and communication!

I can now relay to any friends that are just interested in the SP that you are communcating and getting patches out.

I will have to tell my other friends that MP (including animations) is still not there yet.

Communication like this is just what the community needed!

Hey greg, thanks for the post!

Just a quick question, is this error:

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.20, time stamp: 0x4ca37045
    Faulting module name: CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll, version: 3.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x4c9c5f39
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00050966
    Faulting process id: 0xe04
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb62445550159b
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll

one of the fixes?

thx... cause thats all I get

Determining best path for hexagonal tiles is two orders of magnitude more difficult than determining best path for square tiles, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
    Determining best path for hexagonal tiles is two orders of magnitude more difficult than determining best path for square tiles, for obvious reasons.
    What are the obvious reasons that I fail to see?

Because in hexagonal tiles you have 6 possible ways in each tile, and in square tiles you have 8 (the four sides plus four diagonals). So I really wanna know how the calculations for 6 possibilities can be more complex than the calculations for 8.

No fix for 2560 wide resolutions? It is still my biggest gripe not being able to play in native resolution of my monitor. That and random crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by barry123 View Post
    Hey greg, thanks for the post!

Just a quick question, is this error:

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.20, time stamp: 0x4ca37045
    Faulting module name: CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll, version: 3.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x4c9c5f39
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00050966
    Faulting process id: 0xe04
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb62445550159b
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll

one of the fixes?

thx... cause thats all I get
    Oh, yeah, the ol' offset 0x00050966 error. I'm sure that's fixed.

Seriously, though, you should start in the support forum.

What about SLI? According to this
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88587
    we should wait for a patch, I hope this is included.

Also, I was wondering about the launcher, will there be a way to avoid this and the ESRB screen in the patch. I would really love you guys if I could just click on a short-cut that took me to the main menu.

Hey Greg, can I ask you to have the dev team put one simple thing into the UI? A clock. And not the broken mod, but one built into the game. I shouldn't have to choose between achievements and knowing what time it is =)

Quote Originally Posted by Psynikal View Post
    What about SLI? According to this
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88587
    we should wait for a patch, I hope this is included.

Also, I was wondering about the launcher, will there be a way to avoid this and the ESRB screen in the patch. I would really love you guys if I could just click on a short-cut that took me to the main menu.
    Not sure what you mean by 'launcher', but if you mean the movie, then there is already a way to do both by editing some config files. Search around.

Any chance that Digital Deluxe owners could get the soundtrack in CD quality? What we got is an mp3 version of the same ogg files that come with every edition of the game, seems like a rip-off to me.

2K Greg

Hi Greg

Just want to say thanks for keeping us in the loop. One of my major problems will be fixed in the patch and that is the workers building tradepost everywhere.

If the AI has been fixed I will be a happy camper

Quote Originally Posted by jacypr View Post
    What are the obvious reasons that I fail to see?

Because in hexagonal tiles you have 6 possible ways in each tile, and in square tiles you have 8 (the four sides plus four diagonals). So I really wanna know how the calculations for 6 possibilities can be more complex than the calculations for 8.
    Because of the nature of best-path algorithms.

The idea is to create first a source point and a destination point, and then a midpoint that is as equidistant as possible between the two. By a method we used to call "binary chop" (not sure what schools call it today), a sort of winnowing process begins, whereby the shortest path is thus calculated based on midpoints of midpoints until all points (moves) have been accounted for between the source and the destination. The square's eight directions are all linear, and so midpoint calculations are practically trivial.

With hexes, the dynamic changes dramatically. The calculation of a midpoint is more difficult, and whereas consistent conditionals in linear calculations will tend to yield the same result for each same source and destination, equally consistent conditionals for nonlinears could yield different results for each same source and destination. That's why your identical marching orders will send two equivalent units two separate ways. The existence of corners actually gives an advantage to squares.

And so, the two orders of magnitude derive from the lack of two diagonal topoligical compromises that are unavalable to hexes. The math itself is fairly straightforward where the loss of one choice is one binary magnitude.

Then again, I speak from ancient (1990s) knowledge. New methods might be available today that show me to be wrong, which I would unbegrudgingly acknowledge.

heh....guess i stepped on some toes

Quote Originally Posted by Azzer007 View Post
    JUST noticed - quite a long list, easy to miss things (which is a good thing, if it was a short list it'd be a bit disappointing :P). Not that many people complained about auto-cycling, but it's a major pet peeve of mine. Going to be so much nicer controlling battle-fronts without auto-unit-cycle disrupting things. By the way - do kick some arse about the AI's worker optimisation code next time you're passing community comments over to the devs; if that gets some serious optimising done to it, and turn speeds dramatically increase, there'll be a lot of love to go around.

Many important and good fixes. The improved autocycle option / and turn auto cycle off hopefully will improve multiplayer a lot. No more...sire we are attacked, we are dying we need arghhhh.... No not now I have to take care of this worker complain first...lets see yes we need a new farm...

Hopefully the new patch comes rather sooner than later....

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast