Thread: BioShock 2 and Windows LIVE problems

BioShock 2 and Windows LIVE problems

Hello,

I have downloaded BioShock 2 from direct2drive and installed it. The game runs fine.

However, When I start the game and try and start a new single player campaign, it asks me to sign in with a Windows LIVE ID. I have an Xbox LIVE account so I tried using that, and then it asked me to install an update. I clicked yes, it downloaded in the game then asked me to quit the game and finish the installation inside of Windows.

I let it install and I restarted my computer for good measure. When I started the game again, and tried to sign in with my Xbox LIVE ID, it asked for the same thing, to install an update to be able to play the game. So whatever, I tried installing it again figuring something may have gone wrong. I get the same result after repeating the steps.

I even registered a new Windows LIVE ID and it did the exact same thing.

I can't even register onto Games for Windows forums for some reason, which really ticked me off.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I really feel like I've wasted my money here as my game won't even let me play.

Not sure if the same principle applies to this (and I can find out) but you may need to get an update from Direct2Drive, as the "retail" update may not be compatible with the digital version of the game.

This was the case a few years ago, and it might not be now due to the integration of apps like GfWL. I'll find out

EDIT: I have just had an idea... are you bothered about playing on-line or not? If so no worries, but if not this could be very easy to resolve.

EDIT2: Quit Games for Windows Live, ensure it isn't running. Go to AppData/Local and rename the xlive folder to xlive_old. This should force it to redownload that profile of yours and hopefully resolve the problem.

Hello. I'll try and keep this short...figured I'd post in this thread since someone else had the same exact problem.

I tried renaming the XLive folder to XLive_old, which resulted in my having to re-enter the cd key again when trying to sign in to Windows Live. Surprisingly, the game seemed to recognize my Live account...but then went back to "square 1" (i.e. forgetting the account after restarting the game).

I'm rather tired of researching this issue, so here's a quick list of info:
    -drivers are up to date
    -Games For Windows is up to date
    -turned computer firewall off
    -in "Internet Settings", I made sure "Automatically Detect Settings" was checked under "LAN Settings."
    -purchased this from Steam, if it matters

*When asked to sign into Windows Live to enable data saving (after the update completes in-game), it presents me with a list of, what I'm guessing, are profiles to choose from. However, there is only one choice, and it is completely blank...when clicked, it says the profile was not completely downloaded and to delete it. After exiting the game, an installer appears and applies several fixes. Once that is done and the game is restarted, it goes back to "Square 1." This same thing occurred even after renaming the XLive folder to XLive_old.

It doesn't seem to have a problem connecting...like I stated earlier, it did log me in to Windows Live at one point.

Would appreciate any ideas ya'll might have on getting this game to recognize the Windows Live account.

Thanks,
    Katzenmeier

Edit: And yes, I would like to play the game online.

Rename (or delete) the Bioshock 2 folder in Documents also.

Thanks for the response.

Still no luck, though. Tried a few other fixes such as setting the router MTU packet size to 1500, but the same problem still persists.

Deleting the Bioshock 2 folders caused me to re-enter the cd key, but nothing else changed.

Edit: Tried connecting directly to the modem, however nothing changed; I reckon it isn't an issue with the network.

Might there be any differences between installing BS2 on a computer with x64 or x86 architecture? I have Steam and BS2 installed in the x64 Program Files directory, and changed the Games for Windows Live client's game directory to the x64 Program Files.

*Dunno if it matters, but there seems to be two different installations of BS2: one in the x86 Program Files and one in the x64 Program Files. They look almost identical, except the one in the x86 directory does not have a "Bioshock2launcher.exe" file.
    Last edited by Katzenmeier; 04-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Now that I have not seen.

If you go to remove it (either from within Control Panel or the 'delete local content' method through Steam) do they both go?

Pretty sure we can resolve this, thanks for your patience.

I went through the same process as bennoculus when i first booted up BS2. Put in the Cd key, it did the update and logged in under my windows live account and was actually able to play the game. when id played enough for the day i went to save the game and upon saving the game it froze... tried to alt+tab in and out and nothing. so i ended process via task manager. I started up BS2 again and it took me to the windows live sign-in screen, saw my account and continued to log in. Now after about 15-20 seconds the game the sign in process stops and it freezes... once again not able to alt+tab out so i ctrl+alt+del, brings up task manager and it says BS2 has stopped working... ive tried this several times and same thing over and over... my dx diag specs are posted in one of the forums you are currently handling in BS1... but can re post if need, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Ian View Post
    Now that I have not seen.

If you go to remove it (either from within Control Panel or the 'delete local content' method through Steam) do they both go?

Pretty sure we can resolve this, thanks for your patience.
    Had another look, and the x86 installation looked to be a lot smaller (just over 100MBs). When Steam was uninstalled from the Control Panel and the BS2 local files deleted from within Steam, only the files in the x64 Program Files directory were affected.

Reinstalled Steam and BS2, so right now I have one installation of Steam and Bioshock2 in the x64 Program Files, and NO installation in x86 directory.

Still having the same problem, though, even after reinstalling both Steam and BS2.

You can sign in to GfWL outside of the game no problem?

If so, sign in and then launch it.

No luck with that, either.

Signed into the GfWL client, then started the game through both Steam and Bioshock2Launcher.exe, with the same result. Deleting the XLive directories and such did not produce a different result, either.

*GfWL games directory is and has been set to x64 Program Files.

Dammit. Sorry for not being able to nail this swifter. There must be something fairly simple that has been missed somewhere.

I am reluctant to advise the full removal of everything involved in order to start over. You have already spent enough time on it.

Leave this with me - I will make a some enquiries as a few more of the guys come in over the course of the afternoon.

I installed retail BS2 on Win 7 Pro x64 today and had exactly the same infinite loop problem with Windows Live until I manually installed the 1.4 patch. But then GFWL complained my id wasn't "tagged" or some such nonsense and sent me off to some Xbox site (please don't try to explain why I have to register for an XBox site when I don't even have one - my head is sure to explode), which I apparently have blown up. So I've sent a filthy email off to Microsoft.

Do developers ever wake up in the mornings and wonder why they put paying customers through such utter stupidity when all they want to do is play the game they paid for? You know, like in the good old days.

I couldn't possibly begin to explain - but couldn't that have been rectified by simply following the recommended sign-up procedure?

I couldn't possibly begin to explain - but couldn't that have been rectified by simply following the recommended sign-up procedure?
    What would that be (and no, I'm not being facetious). I see "Games for Windows Live" on the game box. I have a Windows Live account. I've used it before. Why would I even contemplate the hint of a possibility of having to do some something extra, least of all anything to do with Xboxes?

Ah right, wires crossed. Not able to use the existing account?

If I am way off here, like missing the point, the please fill me in. It's what I'm here for.

The problem was that GfWL wanted to link my WL account (which I've been using for years) with a "gamertag" and sent me to the Xbox Live website to create one, only when I tried it the web site crashed and I got a funky error message. I tried again a while later and it seems to have worked because I actually got into the game.

GfWL support was completely useless, as usual the support person emailed me lots of soothing cut and paste boilerplate and didn't pay the slightest attention to anything I'd said, but that's a different story. I still think GfWL was designed by software engineers who had inhaled copious quantities of illegal vegetable substances, and I have to wonder about game companies forcing their innocent and loyal customers to use it. I firmly believe in the "I pay for the game, I play the game" user model, but unfortunately I seem to be in a shrinking minority of sane people.

I am inclined to agree - one of the main reasons I stick with PlayStation is that it never wasted a minute of my time, never will. There are so many variables with PC gaming. Too many for me. Even if I had the time I wouldn't really want to spend it updating this that and the other. Just my opinion though.

If ever you have any issues with Games for Windows then by all means give them a knock, but we obviously pick up bits and pieces of info since it was integrated with this title so don't hesitate to ask on here

I am inclined to agree - one of the main reasons I stick with PlayStation is that it never wasted a minute of my time, never will. There are so many variables with PC gaming. Too many for me. Even if I had the time I wouldn't really want to spend it updating this that and the other. Just my opinion though.

If ever you have any issues with Games for Windows then by all means give them a knock, but we obviously pick up bits and pieces of info since it was integrated with this title so don't hesitate to ask on here
    so do we now need to hit up GfWL for tech support on this Win live issue? or is it something you may still be able to Trouble Shoot

They do handle their own support, yes. If the issue is specific to the application itself then obviously they are going to have a lot more info on that than me, or someone that works for EA, Activision, or any other publisher that uses GfWL in some capacity...

However, we strive to be the best that we can. We really do try to offer the best possible support. Most of us love the job. Ask us anything and we'll do whatever we can to answer it. We are probably a little more... "accessible" than Microsoft support.

I don't know if this will help, but I was skimming look for answers on my own. Have you tried manually patching it up to date?

I downloaded mine from here:
    http://download2us.softpedia.com/dl/..._019_Patch.zip

After I did that, it automatically launched BS2 and finally went on to downloading my (previously made) windows live account. This worked for me, hope it will for you!

I have had this problem this week after having Bioshock 2 installed since I bought the game shortly after release, i.e. my DVD version is like 1.0...it had been fully updated. I was in Siren Alley when I started to get FAILED TO SAVE and NO SAVED GAME LIST FOUND messages. I had been saving more often this time through the game(I have played the SP many times) and hence was saving on this level...Wales was killed and I had just inserted the key when the game messed up again and so I left out hoping a restart would help...I could not get past the sign in, when it tried to load the game it would crash as described here and other forums...I tried many solutions including two fresh installls after uninstalling the game twice...it could never update...I tried deleting the file with my Windows Live ID in My Documents as suggested, the whole folder there, and so on including a System Recovery...none worked, but a manual update as linked above did...I was finally able to load a new game..but I can't save much at all as that is still a problem even though I am saving less..I just arrived at Siren Alley again...I have been getting the no saves messages after a few QS or PAUSE MENU saves throughout and have to leave the game, delete some stuff then go back in and hope not to have lost a bunch of good work..like being done with all but Big Sister and Brute Splicer research so far...So my Q is...Is there a limit on the number of saves??? I have never experienced this before in either Bioshock or Bioshock 2 including the Minerva's Den DLC(it has it own graphical issues). The only recent major changes in my comp besides Win updates are a recent install of COMODO CIS Complete 2011 and just yesterday updated to 2012..Bioshock 2 was listed as a trusted app when this all began...and I did get it working again to a degree as described above so I guess the ports were open?
    OK found a possible fix for the saves listed here....http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...me#post1429154
    will give this a try...

I have had the exact same problem with Bioshock 2 in Steam. Endless cycle, live update blah blah, round and round in circles until i was fit to chuck the PC out the window. In the end, just for the heck of it I said No to everything and closed Windows Live and clicked on New Game and it all worked!
    Don't know it it will work fro you but good luck.

I log into windows live
    Then after it is done logging in i get:
    Games for windows live client has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Then i press close window
    The bioshock tab is stays up so i go into the game and press the continue a saved game button and wait for it to load when the game finally loads it is so slow that is is really unplayable.

I bought the game at walmart. I am using a windows vista.
    Ati Radeon 3100 graphcs
    AMD Athlon X2 dual core QL-60 1.90 GHz processor
    3.00 GB ram
    64 bit operating system

Please help me I want to play bioshock 2 the first bioshock was amazing!

I had the same problem that the updated never work. What I did was click in the LIVE link on the bioshock manin menu, and deleted my profile and add it over again, once I did that it started downloading. but then I did deleted my folder in my documents (bioshock2) i dont know if that made a difference. It was running version 1.0 with update it should be 1.5.0.019 11/3/2011, hope this helps.

I had big problems including many like these with BS2, I solved my problem though. I took many hours and try after try and re-install etc but I figured it out, problem solved. I removed the game and all references to it and took off Games Live for Windows and anything to do with that, I no longer have any problems with BS2. Now that I figured the problem out I know that if I never buy a game requiring live games for windows it will never re-occur. I sure feel a lot better now, no more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 13fcook View Post
    I went through the same process as bennoculus when i first booted up BS2. Put in the Cd key, it did the update and logged in under my windows live account and was actually able to play the game. when id played enough for the day i went to save the game and upon saving the game it froze... tried to alt+tab in and out and nothing. so i ended process via task manager. I started up BS2 again and it took me to the windows live sign-in screen, saw my account and continued to log in. Now after about 15-20 seconds the game the sign in process stops and it freezes... once again not able to alt+tab out so i ctrl+alt+del, brings up task manager and it says BS2 has stopped working... ive tried this several times and same thing over and over... my dx diag specs are posted in one of the forums you are currently handling in BS1... but can re post if need, Thanks
    Im seeing same type of thing it blew up after running yesterday (logeed into windows live and new game ran) on quit it didnt save and aborted and now never gets past the window live login (not sure that that even finishes) and the whole mess aborts.

Actually they already have your money so having the pain ended and then not buying from them in the future is only half a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenlek View Post
    I had big problems including many like these with BS2, I solved my problem though. I took many hours and try after try and re-install etc but I figured it out, problem solved. I removed the game and all references to it and took off Games Live for Windows and anything to do with that, I no longer have any problems with BS2. Now that I figured the problem out I know that if I never buy a game requiring live games for windows it will never re-occur. I sure feel a lot better now, no more problems.
    I bought this game from Steam after having played through Bioshock 1, and enjoying it quite a bit. I also ran into the issues presented in this thread and the dozens of other threads around the same Windows LIVE issues (game works fine, can't save the game). Although your solution is a very good one, my solution was to simply pirate the game (RAZOR1911 is a good release), this way you don't have to deal with the Windows LIVE crap. I wish I just did this from the start, would've saved me hours of frustrating research. At least now I can enjoy the game I bought, but it sucks that I had to spend so much time trying to find a solution.

Hope this solution helps someone else.