Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 347

Thread: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528

    Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks!

    Hey guys,

    Ive been fielding many inquiries about whether or not Duke Nukem Forever is going to be on Steam and today Im happy to clear up any outstanding rumors and questions in your mind by saying: Yes, DNF *is* using Steamworks and only Steamworks for both the single player and multiplayer components of the game.

    Let me know if you have any other questions about this and stay tuned were keeping track of a bunch of questions you have been asking and as they are finalized, Ill be posting more about them here.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27
    Only Steam for the PC version? In other words, mandatory? (Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.)

    This might be a dumb question but I'm really curious for this. I live in Germany and will (of course) be buying an import version from the UK (which is uncensored). Assuming the German version is censored, what version will I be eventually playing with Steam?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    Yes, mandatory, even if you buy it retail. It will be a Steam-infected game. AWESOME!!!! I'll cancel my pre-order now. I just saved $49.99. Grats, Liz!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy_ View Post
    Only Steam for the PC version? In other words, mandatory? (Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.)

    This might be a dumb question but I'm really curious for this. I live in Germany and will (of course) be buying an import version from the UK (which is uncensored). Assuming the German version is censored, what version will I be eventually playing with Steam?
    Only Steam - yes, it's mandatory as its built in with the game, but that means you won't have to lug your CD around everywhere.

    As for Germany, I can't really recommend anything beyond getting the version for your territory - that's the easiest and most surefire way to be able to get all the content and any potential PC patches down the road.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    104
    Excellent news! Thank you Elizabeth!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    That too means that the game could be shut down to you remotely at Valve's discretion. Not that it's common, but it's in the EULA.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by zndkwn1+ View Post
    That too means that the game could be shut down to you remotely at Valve's discretion. Not that it's common, but it's in the EULA.
    If anyone has questions about Steam or Steamworks, please feel free to ask and we'll help clear anything up - however we've never had a game "shut down" like this and we don't ever intend to - Gearbox and 2K Games are committed to DNF and we aren't looking to take the game away from you. Please, don't spread misinformation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    If anyone has questions about Steam or Steamworks, please feel free to ask and we'll help clear anything up - however we've never had a game "shut down" like this and we don't ever intend to - Gearbox and 2K Games are committed to DNF and we aren't looking to take the game away from you. Please, don't spread misinformation.
    Im not spreading misinformation. That's the rule with every game on steam, it's not on you/2kgames/Gearbox side, it's Steam's owners. I know 2k has several Steamworks games, you should know it's Valve's EULA.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    162
    This is a disappointment for me, I hate when retail copies of games require online authentication to play single player. Still, it could be worse I guess... means I'll have to go to the effort of maintaining an offline-installable backup though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by zndkwn1+ View Post
    Im not spreading misinformation. That's the rule with every game on steam, it's not on you/2kgames/Gearbox side, it's Steam's owners.
    As far as I am aware Valve has never done this in the history of Steam. Your "not that it's common" statement implies that it has happened. That's the misinformation we are asking you not to spread.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    As far as I am aware Valve has never done this in the history of Steam. Your "not that it's common" statement implies that it has happened. That's the misinformation we are asking you not to spread.
    Well, there's been cases of people kicked out of their games in their steam accounts, without them cheating/hacking and such. That's not misinformation.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    280
    ...and along come all the Steam haters

    I for one welcome this news, it is the most non intrusive DRM solution nowadays. Looking forward to seeing all the benefits that steamworks offers such as Steam achievements, Cloud support and hopefully Steam's server browser for Multiplayer

    Thanks 2K

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,830
    I used to be against Steam, but of all the DRM "schemes" out there, it's now my preferred DRM method for publishers to use. That doesn't mean its without problems, but for me, the benefits it provides outweighs its disadvantages and are certainly desirable over other DRM methods.

    I'm glad that 2K, as a publisher, has started (with Mafia II, I believe) and continued to use Steam as a platform for their games.

    The more that publishers and gamers use and support Steam, the better Valve can make the system in order to keep publishers happy with DRM and address concerns that gamers have with the system.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    122
    Elizabeth, you are HAPPY to tell it'll be INFESTED with Steamworks, just like Civ5? Honestly? That's like a criminal HAPPY to admit in court he's robbed X number of people.
    When will 2K learn that mandatory Steamworks only make pirated copies more attractive? No DVD in the drive? Other DRM methods do that too and without Steam's hassles. You implemented that thing ONLY so could have a means of selling DLC, Civ5 suffered for the exact same reason.

    You had Impulse Reactor offering Steamworks features without forcing anyone to bundle a client, you had GFWL which is much more hassle-free especially for those who buy boxed copies, you had simple activation mechanisms which EA use (look at Dead Space 2 or ME2, no mandatory Steam bundled) - yet you chose the WORST possible, just because a vocal minority of Steam worshippers troll the forum.

    What a disappointment, Elizabeth.

    Now that it's a Steamworks title, your sales will suffer, because Steam users will skip it so they can pick it up for 10 euro or less during a STEAM SALE. It benefits Valve, but it doesn't benefit YOU.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,821
    If steam ever crashes and burns, this will be a problem.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    Elizabeth, you are HAPPY to tell it'll be INFESTED with Steamworks, just like Civ5? Honestly? That's like a criminal HAPPY to admit in court he's robbed X number of people.
    When will 2K learn that mandatory Steamworks only make pirated copies more attractive? No DVD in the drive? Other DRM methods do that too and without Steam's hassles. You implemented that thing ONLY so could have a means of selling DLC, Civ5 suffered for the exact same reason.

    You had Impulse Reactor offering Steamworks features without forcing anyone to bundle a client, you had GFWL which is much more hassle-free especially for those who buy boxed copies, you had simple activation mechanisms which EA use (look at Dead Space 2 or ME2, no mandatory Steam bundled) - yet you chose the WORST possible, just because a vocal minority of Steam worshippers troll the forum.

    What a disappointment, Elizabeth.
    Yep, it's Civ V and Mafia 2, only with the duke! A EA-like Downloadable Content DRM scheme would have been better, this does make the lets say un-steamed copies more attractive, since they will be runnable too, and without steam. I like DVDs, ty.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowdel View Post
    ... you had GFWL which is much more hassle-free ... yet you chose the WORST possible
    Really? GFWL was awful for BioShock 2 and Fallout 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix View Post
    If steam ever crashes and burns, this will be a problem.
    The same could be said of any DRM system that a major publisher like 2K is likely to use.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowdel View Post
    You implemented that thing ONLY so could have a means of selling DLC
    Not true. As has been stated in the thread already, using misinformation to try to further your point is not allowed.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Arrowdel - I understand that there are people out there who aren't fans of every system that exists - however we are making these decisions based on our overall base of customers, not just people on this forum or any other forum - and we weigh the pros and cons of every system each time we approach a new release.

    If you have any other questions or concerns, we're going to help out however possible, but please try and keep the dramatic posts to a minimum and not over exaggerate or make assertions that are not true - for example, stating we are doing this for DLC is incorrect and I don't want to confuse anyone on this forum.

    Thanks!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    No duke DLC then?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,830
    Well, 2K haven't announced what I consider "real" DLC yet, but at least one retailer so far is offering pre-order DLC. Of course, DLC, whether pre-order or not, could be done in a number of ways, with GFWL, Steam, etc, so I'm sure it's a contributing factor for when publishers choose distribution and DRM platforms, but it certainly wouldn't be the main consideration.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    115
    Well, you've managed to make my worst nightmare come true. I guess I'll be canceling my Balls of Steel Edition pre-order.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,821
    Quote Originally Posted by zndkwn1+ View Post
    No duke DLC then?
    Already is, a "preorder bonus" from gamestop. Mainly pointless, a new shirt for duke. I think it was called "Duke's Big Package" or something like that.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Arrowdel - I understand that there are people out there who aren't fans of every system that exists - however we are making these decisions based on our overall base of customers, not just people on this forum or any other forum - and we weigh the pros and cons of every system each time we approach a new release.

    If you have any other questions or concerns, we're going to help out however possible, but please try and keep the dramatic posts to a minimum and not over exaggerate or make assertions that are not true - for example, stating we are doing this for DLC is incorrect and I don't want to confuse anyone on this forum.

    Thanks!
    Elizabeth, I'd like to know how good Mafia 2 - a Steamworks game - sold. Because I'm willing to bet Bioshock - which used neither Steam nor GFWL - sold better. Just food for thought. I'm almost certain that your games sell on Steam only during "50% off, 75% off" sales. Valve then boasts about the number of copies sold and number of Steam users... Shame they don't mention that almost every AAA game requires that you have a Steam account to play and during sales, games make less profit then they should per copy.

    You have honestly no idea how much people here hate Steam. Heck, even GFWL is more popular because it at least doesn't force you to jump through hoops to install a game, merely activate. Also, I still don't understand why you don't give Stardock's Impulse Reactor a chance.
    Anything is better than Valve's outdated (can't even choose where can I have a game installed!) and problematic client if you ask me.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowdel View Post
    You have honestly no idea how much people here hate Steam. Heck, even GFWL is more popular ...
    Yeah, because this forum is so busy with people expressing that. Head over to the BioShock 2 forum, and ask everyone there how much they loved GFWL.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowdel View Post
    Elizabeth, I'd like to know how good Mafia 2 - a Steamworks game - sold. Because I'm willing to bet Bioshock - which used neither Steam nor GFWL - sold better. Just food for thought. I'm almost certain that your games sell on Steam only during "50% off, 75% off" sales. Valve then boasts about the number of copies sold and number of Steam users... Shame they don't mention that almost every AAA game requires that you have a Steam account to play and during sales, games make less profit then they should per copy.

    You have honestly no idea how much people here hate Steam. Heck, even GFWL is more popular because it at least doesn't force you to jump through hoops to install a game, merely activate. Also, I still don't understand why you don't give Stardock's Impulse Reactor a chance.
    Anything is better than Valve's outdated (can't even choose where can I have a game installed!) and problematic client if you ask me.
    As a publicly traded company, giving out those figures isn't my job - and both BioShock 2 and Mafia II sold well (but are very different games with very different fan bases.)

    As the head of community, I'd say I'm one of the most well informed people about not just Steam, but all different forms of content delivery and digital rights management - again, please don't take your personal opinions and assertions and present them as fact (and if you do want to present them as fact, such as the claim that Steam is less popular than GFWL, please provide links so we don't have to get into debates about the validity of the statements.) I respect everyone's personal opinion and just as we don't want console wars, we don't need GFWL vs. Steam wars here.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    115
    I've waited for this game for YEARS and you throw this at me? I hate Steam, honestly with all my heart.
    I don't mind if someone wants to use it as an OPTION but I don't want it forced onto me, please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don't force me to use Steam because I assure you, you'll be losing my business.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    Im posting here because of my DNF, though I do know that 2k released several games with Steamworks, like mafia 2 and Civ V. Dont know much bout them since they don't interest me, but there seem to have been a less than stellar welcome from the, let's say, loud threads made elsewhere in here bout them.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    Yeah, because this forum is so busy with people expressing that. Head over to the BioShock 2 forum, and ask everyone there how much they loved GFWL.
    Head over to Capcom forums and ask people how many of them had any problems with GFWL in Street Fighter 4 or Dead Rising 2. Tip: not many. Want to know how many people still hate Valve for the Half-life 2 mandatory Steam fiasco? Steam suffers from major hiccups to this date, especially when an AAA game comes along.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    As a publicly traded company, giving out those figures isn't my job - and both BioShock 2 and Mafia II sold well (but are very different games with very different fan bases.)

    As the head of community, I'd say I'm one of the most well informed people about not just Steam, but all different forms of content delivery and digital rights management - again, please don't take your personal opinions and assertions and present them as fact (and if you do want to present them as fact, such as the claim that Steam is less popular than GFWL, please provide links so we don't have to get into debates about the validity of the statements.) I respect everyone's personal opinion and just as we don't want console wars, we don't need GFWL vs. Steam wars here.
    I understand that and respect the point you're trying to get across, Liz. My point wasn't that GFWL is more popular in general (Microsoft's fault), but if you lived in Central Europe, I'm sure you'd share my sentiments. Steam is not liked. People usually buy games using it because they have no other choice.
    As for GFWLvsSteam part, why do you - as 2K - honestly need to choose between them? EA doesn't do that and they're #1 PC publisher in the world. They try to sell their games wherever they can without limiting themselves to Steam store. They choose neutral DRM methods (Steamworks comes with a Steam store bundled, that's the business Valve is in. Neither GFWL nor Impulse do that, and they allow games to be sold everywhere because of that).

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Ok, people the thing is:

    People who love steam ++++> People who hate steam

    People who buy on steam sale ++> People who buy at retail

    I have purchased mafia 2 and Civ V and Borderlands because they have steamwork y like the steamwork features as so many people.

    Stop whining.

    Congratulation 2k going steamwork is the way to go despite the minority of close minded people.

    Now DNF will be a fist day buy for me. When it's gonna be available for pre-purchase on steam?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    280
    This is awesome news. I was hoping DNF would use STEAMworks, and now... happy day.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,393
    Guys, I'm going to give a warning not to attack other users opinion. Debate facts - don't name call.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemalgom View Post

    Stop whining.
    But here in the land of censorship (Germany) Steam is used to prevent mature people from playing games the government doesn`t like, (i.e. Call of Duty and much more) - I really don`t want to play a censored version of the Duke in German language. I want to play the original game. So with using Steamworks the worst has come to the worst. ... How can you do such a thing to the German Duke fans?

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,830
    I do think it's really personal opinion and experience from the gamer's point of view.

    From the publisher's point of view, it's their evaluation of the available DRM and distribution methods and platforms, as well as their experience of what has worked for them in the past.

    We can make our opinions heard, and 2K has a good track record of interacting with fans, but ultimately, though I believe that fans who take time to post on a publisher's forums are the biggest fans, a publisher is still going to look at their sales and their marketing research and data more than what they hear from fans here, who really represent only a small portion of sales.

    When I considered purchasing Borderlands GOTY, I looked at the game at retail and found that it apparently came with a printed map and a printed Duke Nukem First Access Club Certificate - both of which would be cool - but then I also realized that it used Securom, and a Gamespy account. Great, another account to sign up for. I assumed it would not offer me the convenience of not requiring the disc in my drive, which is kind of a big deal to me because I play a lot of games these days, and it's so hassle-free to have all my games either 1) not require a disc check or 2) are games that are in my Steam account.

    So I bought it on Steam. Which makes my current game-playing tally thus:

    All these accounts and DRMs I don't even know about - 0 games.

    GFWL account - 2 games.

    Steam account - dozens of games.

    Finally, all those other disc-based DRM games - I've either purchased them again from Good Old Games (GOG.com - completely DRM free) or purchased some of them again, when on sale, from Steam, if they're not available from GOG.com.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    115
    It's because they don't care, at all. They're saying Steamworks and that won't change. Even though using a companys service that is competition in the game world is the stupidist thing I've ever heard and Steams limitations are crap they won't change it. They go 'oh we're listening' but that doesn't mean they're doing ANYTHING at all. IMO EA has it right, the DRM in BC2 and Medal of Honor was great.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Midian
    Posts
    5,436
    My point wasn't that GFWL is more popular in general (Microsoft's fault), but if you lived in Central Europe, I'm sure you'd share my sentiments. Steam is not liked. People usually buy games using it because they have no other choice.
    It is easy to suggest Steam's success is based on it being forced on customers, but it is popular for many reasons already stated here, and if GFWL was used those that don't like that (which are many) would be in a similar position, there is no perfect solution to DRM.

    if Steam was dropped in favor of something, the complaints would be the same.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    115
    Perfect solution to DRM right here fullas!
    Don't punish your paying customers by using any DRM. It only rewards pirates because they don't have to be forced to use DRM.
    Also, I've waited for this game for years so regardless of how much I hate Steam and despise 2K for being so dimwitted for using it I'm going to buy the game and play the hell out of it.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by ilblogics View Post
    It's because they don't care, at all. They're saying Steamworks and that won't change. Even though using a companys service that is competition in the game world is the stupidist thing I've ever heard and Steams limitations are crap they won't change it. They go 'oh we're listening' but that doesn't mean they're doing ANYTHING at all. IMO EA has it right, the DRM in BC2 and Medal of Honor was great.
    They're listening, they're not doing anything of what you may say,but they're listenig nonetheless. That's important.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    115
    Good point.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Midian
    Posts
    5,436
    perfect solution to DRM right here fullas!
    Don't punish your paying customers by using any DRM
    not really a solution, it's never going to happen

    google ANY DRM and you'll find plenty of similar rants about whichever system a publisher uses.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •