Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilization Nights Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Panda_Power View Post
    Great news and well done!

I'm on holiday at the moment with a crappy old laptop, but I'm really looking forward to playing it when I get home!
    Enjoy your holidays. Looking forward to seeing what you think of the changes.

EDIT: I've updated the front page here and on CivFanatics with pics/info for anyone wanting to try out the mod for the first time.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=395

Version 9.5 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

Installation instructions

• Download and copy file into C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
    • Delete your cache folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
    • Delete the contents of the ModUserData folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
    • Verify your cache and defrag your CIV V files through Steam (right click, properties, local files.
    • Make sure your game is up to date with Patch 1.0.1.383!
    • Load CIV V and click Install button in the ModBrowser.

Version 9.6 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

• Download and copy file into C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
    • Delete your cache folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
    • Delete the contents of the ModUserData folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
    • Verify your cache and defrag your CIV V files through Steam (right click, properties, local files.

Version 9.7 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 and to the in-game ModBrowser.

Version 9.8 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 and to the in-game ModBrowser.

Version 9.8b Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 and to the in-game ModBrowser.

NiGHTS now also has a dedicated sub-forum on CivFanatics which can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=450

Last edited by markusbeutel; 09-12-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Realized I hadn't posted screenshots here yet - the first two images are of the policies screen - they light up as you hover over them at which point they display the policy icons.

Now Available on the Mod Browser
    Official Dedicated Sub-Forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=450
    Direct Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

Version 9.9 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

NiGHTS now also has a dedicated sub-forum on CivFanatics which can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=450

Last edited by markusbeutel; 09-12-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Version 9.9c Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 - and to the in-game ModBrowser.

Last edited by markusbeutel; 09-12-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Version 10.0 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 and to the in-game ModBrowser.

Version 10.1 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

This is a great mod! Enjoying my NiGHTS game immensely - very challenging game compared to vanilla.

I have one concern though, and a couple suggestions for consideration.

First the concern - not sure if I'm missing something, but the cultural border expansion in cities is almost non-existent. I am 250 turns in, and my borders have barely moved, even around my capital which is making 100+ culture/turn. What gives here? The AI does not seem to have an issue with this - their borders are literally engulfing mine in some cases, from cities 5+ tiles away.

And a suggestion: Make the unhappiness/unit only 2 or 3 in the early eras (through Renaissance), and then back up to 5 per unit after that. I find that prior to happiness improvements (construction takes a while to get to), it is impossible to field a half-decent army, making any sort of conquest (or even defense) impossible early on (tough to do much with an army of 4 units). Or, maybe an early policy to lower unhappiness/unit.

Re the cultural border expansion, if this is not what's supposed to be happening, I'd appreciate some feedback! Thanks

Cultural border expansion will seem slower compared to vanilla CIV V, (mainly because there's a large increase in the amount of culture buildings available in the mod). Adopting Tradition will increase the rate of cultural expansion by +20%, and the AI prioritizes this policy branch, which will boost your rate considerably. There are also a few other policies/buildings that increase this rate as well, (the Abbey for example adds an additional +10%, and one of the first policies in Piety also adds +10%).

As for Unhappiness - the latest version of the mod actually makes it more accessible with the reordering of some techs in the Ancient Era. The problem with different rates of Unhappiness for units, is that this gets to be a nuisance when upgrading units and all of a sudden dealing with the additional Unhappiness.

Thanks for the reply. I actually went back and resinstalled the mod to be sure everything was up to date. Turns out it wasn't, which fixed a few graphical bugs, but the cultural border expansion is still something I am finding challenging. In a new game i started last night, even after choosing Tradition, I find after the first two or three tiles, it quickly becomes '55 turns to next expansion' or something crazy, even after I've built a wonder. Meanwhile, AI expands so quickly they are 4+ tiles out on their 3rd and 4th cities (while I'm still barely 3 tiles out from my capital). Not sure if you're getting this feedback from anyone else...? It's really the only thing I find frustrating with the mod, which otherwise I am liking more and more.

Also just something to note - in my new game last night, an AI civ built the wonder that requires Iron Working (Petra?) on TURN 37!!! This was on King difficulty. Not only did that civ need Iron Working (ok, maybe it got lucky with a goody hut??), but the Wonder is 463 hammers or something like that. I also chose Legendary Start, and since I notice the AI seems to start with improved tiles around their capitals (assuming that's a bonus for King difficulty?), maybe they had multiple stone + marble + the civ wonder bonus... IDK, just struck me as pretty crazy that early on.

Version 10.2 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 and to the in-game ModBrowser.

Quote Originally Posted by civvy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I actually went back and resinstalled the mod to be sure everything was up to date. Turns out it wasn't, which fixed a few graphical bugs, but the cultural border expansion is still something I am finding challenging. In a new game i started last night, even after choosing Tradition, I find after the first two or three tiles, it quickly becomes '55 turns to next expansion' or something crazy, even after I've built a wonder. Meanwhile, AI expands so quickly they are 4+ tiles out on their 3rd and 4th cities (while I'm still barely 3 tiles out from my capital). Not sure if you're getting this feedback from anyone else...? It's really the only thing I find frustrating with the mod, which otherwise I am liking more and more.

Also just something to note - in my new game last night, an AI civ built the wonder that requires Iron Working (Petra?) on TURN 37!!! This was on King difficulty. Not only did that civ need Iron Working (ok, maybe it got lucky with a goody hut??), but the Wonder is 463 hammers or something like that. I also chose Legendary Start, and since I notice the AI seems to start with improved tiles around their capitals (assuming that's a bonus for King difficulty?), maybe they had multiple stone + marble + the civ wonder bonus... IDK, just struck me as pretty crazy that early on.
    Adopting the Piety branch as one of your first 1-2 policies in conjunction with Tradition will help a great deal with cultural expansion - as will any sort of cultural building, like monuments early on. I've coded the AI to prioritize these which is why they seem to get faster cultural expansion. They don't get any free buildings or anything like that, but they do mix and match policies in the early game.

As for the Petra, I find that wonder usually lasts until around 80-100 turns in, but as you said, it's possible that the AI got Ironworking from a goody hut. There's also a few other factors that could have come into play here. Starting at King level, the AI starts the game with a free Worker along with their Warrior (partially because they tend to lose their workers a lot to the new barbarians in NiGHTS). If the Civ that built the Petra also started out with Mining, or built their first city on a plains hill, (which would start at 3 production instead of 2), and then chopped forests for the production bonus - it's possible they could get the wonder built on turn 37. Other factors could involve getting a second free worker from a goody hut. Imperialistic Civ's also get a +30% bonus to how long it takes them to build tile improvements, so this could also have played a role in chopping early forests or building early mines which would have had an effect on the amount of time it took to build the Petra wonder.

Getting Iron Working from a goody hut seems most likely though. I've recently released v10.2 which fixes a few more bugs if that's not the version you currently have installed. It's also up on the ModBrowser but their have been a few minor updates to it posted at CivFanatics: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 - although it's still listed as v10.2 due to no major changes taking place.
    Last edited by markusbeutel; 09-20-2011 at 02:47 AM.

I am seriously pissed that there are no Mods playable in MP.
    After it took 2k AGES to get the promised HotSeat Mode to the normal CiV V i found it after some games, get me wrong here those games took like 150 hours added, it was just boring. Everything all the same. So i wanted to "solve" my problem just as i did with Civ IV: Install a Mod and play that!
    But now i found out, thanks to Markus for that, that Mods don't work for MP... the awesome Civ V, what was developped by former MODDERS, who wanted to make it as MOD-FRIENDLY as possible do not allow Mods for MP? Just freaking awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by markusbeutel View Post
    This mod is currently only in English. Funny you should mention this but I am actually German myself and was planning on eventually translating the mod (much further down the line), but if you wanted to start I would say feel free

I added some custom dialogue to the mod replacing the AI dialogue for Demands and changed them to requests. This new dialogue is probably the only thing that is safe to change at this point as it should not be getting too much of an overhaul from here on in and it may be a good place to start.

For other areas of the mod like the Tech Pyramid and buildings, it would probably be best to wait until a post-patch fix as the March patch will break the mod and it also adds new buildings that I will have to create custom tool-tips for.

I am also planning on introducing a new building mechanic to the game in Version 5 which is probably a month or two away but will also represent a change to current building and unit tooltips.
    Does the mod happen to be downloaded by many swedes? If so, I can translate it to Swedish if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chekko View Post
    Does the mod happen to be downloaded by many swedes? If so, I can translate it to Swedish if you'd like.
    I couldn't say for sure - but it's getting around 1500-2000 downloads a week so I'm sure some of those are Swedes. The mod's currently undergoing a German translation as well, but I'd welcome a Swedish translation.
    The files that could use translation include:

NiGHTS/Buildings.xml -> Each building has custom text in NiGHTS.
    NiGHTS/TechNames.xml -> There are multiple versions of some Techs that have an "X" on the end of them (for UI purposes), and won't require translation.
    NiGHTS/Policies.xml -> All the custom policies/branches in the game.
    NiGHTS/Promotions.xml -> All the promotions have been edited, (this could take awhile to translate)...
    NiGHTS/Wonders.xml -> Additional Wonders added to the game.
    NiGHTS/Diplomacy.xml -> Includes all of the diplomacy modifier texts that have been tweaked or added to the mod.
    XML/CCBonuses.xml -> Includes all the Cultural Revolution Governments.

These files represent the base text elements of the mod that won't be changing all too much from here on out, (although additional text will probably be added on a continual bases).

PM me if you have any questions and I'll send you my email address, (as I don't frequent these forums as much as I used to and might miss your post).

Quote Originally Posted by Ewigan View Post
    I am seriously pissed that there are no Mods playable in MP.
    After it took 2k AGES to get the promised HotSeat Mode to the normal CiV V i found it after some games, get me wrong here those games took like 150 hours added, it was just boring. Everything all the same. So i wanted to "solve" my problem just as i did with Civ IV: Install a Mod and play that!
    But now i found out, thanks to Markus for that, that Mods don't work for MP... the awesome Civ V, what was developped by former MODDERS, who wanted to make it as MOD-FRIENDLY as possible do not allow Mods for MP? Just freaking awesome...
    It's frustrating for sure - but I'll bet this happens sooner rather than later. CIV V's combat almost seems custom built for a multi-player experience, so getting mod support fully integrated seems like a natural step.

Markus - thanks again for the reply. So I got another NiGHTS game going yesterday, and I think I've figured out the border expansion. Basically, unlike vanilla, you actually have to focus on it to make it happen, which (now that I know) I like very much. One more strategic decision to make for a city.

As a general comment, I really enjoy the multiple building options, the Cultural Revolutions (although I'm not sure why there is only 1 allowed in the world at any one time), the happiness system (very balanced), and the new treatment of barbarians! (love that they can spawn a variety of units... Raging Barbs is the real deal now!) - not to mention the tile yield calculations. I do kind of miss some of the Civs special traits (unique abilities), but they do feel more balanced now.

I'll install the new version tonight. Will it be compatible with my save game?

Also, can I stack another mod with NiGHTS? Specifically, I like the "Harsh Tech Increases" mod, as I want to drag out the game as long as possible before Modern Era, but I don't like the increased production times of Epic/Marathon.

Thanks again for this mod - SIGNIFICANTLY better game than vanilla!

Markus - thanks again for the reply. So I got another NiGHTS game going yesterday, and I think I've figured out the border expansion. Basically, unlike vanilla, you actually have to focus on it to make it happen, which (now that I know) I like very much. One more strategic decision to make for a city.

As a general comment, I really enjoy the multiple building options, the Cultural Revolutions (although I'm not sure why there is only 1 allowed in the world at any one time), the happiness system (very balanced), and the new treatment of barbarians! (love that they can spawn a variety of units... Raging Barbs is the real deal now!) - not to mention the tile yield calculations. I do kind of miss some of the Civs special traits (unique abilities), but they do feel more balanced now.

I'll install the new version tonight. Will it be compatible with my save game?

Also, can I stack another mod with NiGHTS? Specifically, I like the "Harsh Tech Increases" mod, as I want to drag out the game as long as possible before Modern Era, but I don't like the increased production times of Epic/Marathon.

Thanks again for this mod - SIGNIFICANTLY better game than vanilla!
    That's exactly how cultural expansion works in NiGHTS - you've described it better than my earlier attempts. While it can really start to build up, it's not as automatic in vanilla CIV V. As for Civ's UA's, several people have lamented the fact they've been replaced by traits, (which are basically just balanced UA's). The problem with the vanilla UA's, is that they can't be balanced - especially when so many of them are highly circumstantial at the moment.

Cultural Revolutions actually can happen simultaneously, in that if 2 or more Civ's experience one on the exact same turn, they'll both get one. Otherwise, back-to-back revolutions without a cooldown effect would, IMO, dilute overall their value (with far too many occuring).

Unfortunately, saves probably won't be compatible as some significant changes have been made - which have been posted in the main sub-forum over at CivFanatics.

I haven't tested out that particular tech increase mod - so you'd have to give it a try and find out for yourself. I'd lean towards "no" just because so many core files have been altered in NiGHTS, but you never know. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.

On a side note, I've updated the front page over at CivFanatics for anyone wanting to get a quick intro to NiGHTS. It can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...00#post9931500

So after playing several more NiGHTS games, a couple observations and a suggestion.

First off, the AI seems excessively peaceful... two games in a row with not a single DOW, except by me, and as soon as peace is made, relations are right back to neutral in one turn. Now in both games i did not play far into the modern era, but at least 250-300 turns with no war. And not just on me - no war by anyone on anyone (at least than I can recall). Every time I looked at Diplomacy - "Neutral" right across the board.

Second, were Pikemen missed when you rebalanced attack power? They still have an attack of 10, same as regular Spearmen.

As for the suggestion, and I recall some discussion of this elsewhere, but I would like to see some improvements to the way Horses are handled.

Rather than a blanket weakness when attacking cities, they should only get that weakness if the city has a Wall (otherwise, horses would be actually better than infantry attacking a town without a wall). To balance the early game, you could introduce a "Stockade" improvement - available immediately, very cheap to build, +2 defense, but city must have a Forest or Jungle in its territory.

Also, this -100% against spearmen, pikemen, etc. is ridiculous. That should only be if the Spearmen are either fortified or otherwise ready for the battle... picture a cavalry unit streaming over a hilltop onto a group of unprepared spearmen. It would be a rout. So, if the horses are Flanking the spearmen (i.e. Flanking bonus calculated), it should completely negate the weakness.

Just some thoughts... keep up the good work!

So after playing several more NiGHTS games, a couple observations and a suggestion.

First off, the AI seems excessively peaceful... two games in a row with not a single DOW, except by me, and as soon as peace is made, relations are right back to neutral in one turn. Now in both games i did not play far into the modern era, but at least 250-300 turns with no war. And not just on me - no war by anyone on anyone (at least than I can recall). Every time I looked at Diplomacy - "Neutral" right across the board.

Second, were Pikemen missed when you rebalanced attack power? They still have an attack of 10, same as regular Spearmen.

As for the suggestion, and I recall some discussion of this elsewhere, but I would like to see some improvements to the way Horses are handled.

Rather than a blanket weakness when attacking cities, they should only get that weakness if the city has a Wall (otherwise, horses would be actually better than infantry attacking a town without a wall). To balance the early game, you could introduce a "Stockade" improvement - available immediately, very cheap to build, +2 defense, but city must have a Forest or Jungle in its territory.

Also, this -100% against spearmen, pikemen, etc. is ridiculous. That should only be if the Spearmen are either fortified or otherwise ready for the battle... picture a cavalry unit streaming over a hilltop onto a group of unprepared spearmen. It would be a rout. So, if the horses are Flanking the spearmen (i.e. Flanking bonus calculated), it should completely negate the weakness.

Just some thoughts... keep up the good work!
    I've since released v10.3a to CivFanatics -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

The AI are more aggressive in this update, (although not to the degree of vanilla CIV V). Pikemen have also been adjusted for strength in the latest update. As for Horses and walls, it's a good idea, but one that we wouldn't be able to make the AI understand until we get .dll access. And regarding the -100% modifier, this is required as it's what makes Spears/Pikes viable build choices. If this wasn't in the game, there would be no incentive to build this unit for the most part. Having the modifier kick in only when fortified also makes sense - but the AI doesn't really have a firm grasp on fortifying units to begin with at the moment, and this would be just another advantage for the human player.

There's some UI and Government changes in v10.3 as well - although I haven't released to the ModBrowser yet as I'm still waiting on more feedback regarding any potential bugs.

thanks Markus.... interesting, I hadn't considered whether the AI could handle those types of changes. What about simply changing -100% to -50%? I guess while I can see your point that Spear/Pike may not be a viable build choice, one could argue that Horsement/Knights are barely viable build choices right now except as very situational units.

I'll try the next version tonight. Glad to hear Pikemen will be adjusted!

(Oh - and was it intentional to give France and Aztecs the same two leader bonuses, just in different order?)

thanks Markus.... interesting, I hadn't considered whether the AI could handle those types of changes. What about simply changing -100% to -50%? I guess while I can see your point that Spear/Pike may not be a viable build choice, one could argue that Horsement/Knights are barely viable build choices right now except as very situational units.

I'll try the next version tonight. Glad to hear Pikemen will be adjusted!

(Oh - and was it intentional to give France and Aztecs the same two leader bonuses, just in different order?)
    100 to 50 could be done, but then the strength of other units would have to be increased accordingly. While Knights/Horseman might be situational at the moment - they're more useful in NiGHTS at the moment purely because the era's last longer, and Lancers aren't that far removed from Knights as well.

The French/Iroquois trait combination was just something I missed. It's since been corrected as of v10.3a (the Iroquois are now Protective instead of Creative).

Ok so played a game with the new patch last night (10.3a) and I'm pleased to report I got smacked down hard by Germany and the Ottomans for over-expanding / over-extending myself!!

(Continents map, Emperor level. I had rushed to expand into the centre of a mountainous map, securing prime real estate with iron, horses, stone, and a couple scare luxuries, in what I thought was pretty good defensive positions among hills and rivers. Germany had a better start than I did and was roughly double my score (I was #2). When Bismark ran out of room to expand, he came after me with a very large army, and as I moved my few units (I was trying to maximize happiness for expansion), Suleiman took advantage and came at me from another flank).

So all in all, the changes in 10.3 seem to be effective - much more aggressive AI, but still not stupid-aggressive like Vanilla. Good balance seems to have been struck.

Another humble request I love playing with Barbarians on, but am finding Raging Barbarians just a little too raging. Any chance of toning the rage levels down a bit?

I can't really reduce their "rage levels," I can only adjust things like how often they spawn, where they spawn, and their overall strength/stats. Adjusting any of these values would affect all barb settings so that's not an option at the moment. Once we get .dll access, features like barbarian camps could make a come-back, and that's when barbs will probably see an overhaul of sorts.

I do agree with you about overall balance as of v10.3a - the AI won't DOW you 30 turns into the game, but if and when they decide to attack, they're generally pretty effective regarding their army size and unit diversity. They also play more to their personality type in the last few updates - as it's unlikely someone like Gandhi or Ramkhamhaeng will DOW you without due cause.

Version 10.3a Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 and to the in-game ModBrowser.

Manual Installation Instructions

Version 10.4 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

Markus - still playing NiGHTs, and still loving it!

Humble request here - not actually sure if it's implementable. The list of potential buildings in the build queue gets quite long as the game progresses... any chance of grouping the buildings at all? Or at least, ordering them in the queue, perhaps ascending by build time or hammers?

Markus - still playing NiGHTs, and still loving it!

Humble request here - not actually sure if it's implementable. The list of potential buildings in the build queue gets quite long as the game progresses... any chance of grouping the buildings at all? Or at least, ordering them in the queue, perhaps ascending by build time or hammers?
    This isn't possible at the moment unfortunately - but it's something I'd like to implement once we got more modding tools.

Version 10.6 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

Version 10.7 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

This update includes new units, (Indentured Servants, Galleons), new techs, (Tourism, Trade), and artwork for era splash screens.

Version 10.8 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650

This update includes the ability for ALL Civs to recruit encamped Barbarians to their side, and these Barbarians do not generate Unhappiness until they are upgraded.

Version 10.9 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650
    Version 10.5 Released to: ModBrowser

This update adds the Polytheism tech, a Burial Grounds building, the Pergamon Altar wonder, and includes some minor bug fixes that plagued the UI of puppeted Cities. There is also some early tech realignment included to balance out the starting techs for each Civilization.

Version 11.0 Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=16650 and to the in-game ModBrowser.

• Make sure your game is up to date with the December 2011 patch!
    Last edited by markusbeutel; 12-26-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Hi Marcus,

So I came back to civ after playing Skyrim for a few weeks straight and have played around 200 turns of version 11 (my last play was on 10.7 I think), and some honest feedback for you given the scope of changes between 10.7 (I think!) and 11:

#1 – seems wayyyy too easy to make gold now. I am making over 650 gold per turn right now without a golden age. There appear to be many more buildings and wonders that give gold. I love a big city as much as the next guy, but having this much gold makes a lot of gameplay mechanics (trading, purchasing, upgrading, etc.) kind of broken… It’s just too easy.

#2 – not sure what happened with the policy tree, but I really prefer the way it was. I found it much more interesting when you could choose bits and pieces of various trees, rather than the current approach where all selections in a given tree are needed to unlock the next level. Very little choice involved now, and the myriad of choice is what, to me, made NiGHTS so great.

Those are the two things jumping out at me the most. NiGHTS still beats Vanilla hands down, but the ease of making gold and the trimmed-down policy options have taken some of the challenge and thoughtfulness away. I was playing on Emperor- I’ll try a Diety game…. I’ll probably appreciate the gold more

Sorry for the negative post - I appreciate your tireless work on this Mod as it's become the only way I can play Civ5!

PS - I know I should be posting on Civfanatics but my work computer wont let me access it....

Hi Marcus,

So I came back to civ after playing Skyrim for a few weeks straight and have played around 200 turns of version 11 (my last play was on 10.7 I think), and some honest feedback for you given the scope of changes between 10.7 (I think!) and 11:

#1 – seems wayyyy too easy to make gold now. I am making over 650 gold per turn right now without a golden age. There appear to be many more buildings and wonders that give gold. I love a big city as much as the next guy, but having this much gold makes a lot of gameplay mechanics (trading, purchasing, upgrading, etc.) kind of broken… It’s just too easy.

#2 – not sure what happened with the policy tree, but I really prefer the way it was. I found it much more interesting when you could choose bits and pieces of various trees, rather than the current approach where all selections in a given tree are needed to unlock the next level. Very little choice involved now, and the myriad of choice is what, to me, made NiGHTS so great.

Those are the two things jumping out at me the most. NiGHTS still beats Vanilla hands down, but the ease of making gold and the trimmed-down policy options have taken some of the challenge and thoughtfulness away. I was playing on Emperor- I’ll try a Diety game…. I’ll probably appreciate the gold more

Sorry for the negative post - I appreciate your tireless work on this Mod as it's become the only way I can play Civ5!
    There were definitely shifts in the overall pacing of the mod. The boost to gold is one of the bigger changes, as one of the largest complaints was generally that units/CS's were to expensive. Generally, towards the end of a game, you should be pulling in anywhere from 1000-1500 gold, which may seem like a lot, but won't go very far in regards to purchasing units/buildings and CS's.

For the more skilled players, Immortal/Deity is probably the way to go now for a proper challenge. Pre v11, I'd say the mod's difficulty was structured more in line with that of Civ IV's, where v11 puts overall difficulty more in line with Civ V for an easier transition.

As for policies - the changes were mainly made in an attempt to streamline the experience to some extent. The mod's already probably pretty overwhelming if you're coming straight from CIV V, so I decided to simplify the either/or/disabling rules for policies. As a result, there's less policies that double up on each other, and overall, each policy is quite a bit more powerful than it's previous version(s).

I should have v11.2 up sometime this coming weekend which will tweak policies a bit more, as some are still underpowered based on their placement. Thanks for the feedback.

thanks. I started a new game on Immortal and much better, very competitive (I had to reload a couple times when a town I thought I had well defended got taken! damn you Alexander!!)

great job on the mod, can't wait to see what you do with the .dll!

hello

pls forgive me for not looking at all the posts thoroughly, but i was wondering, is this mod just a rework of what's in CIV5 or does it also add new techs, units, etc...
    Does it work with the DLCs released so far? (i have all of them)

Again, sorry if I missed reading earlier posts - i saw the pic abt the tech tree, but I don't know by heart how many of those techs are already in the game.

thanks. I started a new game on Immortal and much better, very competitive (I had to reload a couple times when a town I thought I had well defended got taken! damn you Alexander!!)

great job on the mod, can't wait to see what you do with the .dll!
    Thanks civvy. I also do all of my testing on Immortal and generally find it offers a solid challenge. As of v11.2, I've tried to model the overall difficulty levels to be on par with those found in vanilla CIV V - so for experienced players that like to micro-manage different elements of the game, immortal is what I'd recommend. The jump from Emperor to Immortal is probably the steepest difficulty jump overall.

Quote Originally Posted by louisspawn View Post
    hello

pls forgive me for not looking at all the posts thoroughly, but i was wondering, is this mod just a rework of what's in CIV5 or does it also add new techs, units, etc...
    Does it work with the DLCs released so far? (i have all of them)

Again, sorry if I missed reading earlier posts - i saw the pic abt the tech tree, but I don't know by heart how many of those techs are already in the game.
    A rebuild is probably a better definition. Everything about the CivNights is vastly different from vanilla CIV V. There's a little over 90+ techs in the mod, while vanilla has around 70. There's probably over 100+ new buildings and wonders, and social policies have been completely overhauled with a new UI in tow. It also supports all of the DLC except for the Ancient Wonders pack, which has been included in a modded form, (not the originals, but remakes).

The main difference would be in how Happiness works. Instead of generating Unhappiness, your population generates happiness - while your military generates unhappiness, so you'll want to focus on growing your empire instead of stifling it.

The happiness breakdown is as follows:

• You start the game with 30 Happiness.
    • The first 10 citizens in each city each generate +1 Happiness, (the 11th onwards doesn't).
    • Luxury Resources are worth 10 Happiness each.
    • Military units cost 5 Unhappiness each.
    • Cities cost 20 Unhappiness each.
    • Various policies/buildings/governments offer additional Happiness.

Balancing your Happiness levels between growth/expansion, and your military, adds a new element to CIV V. At the same time diplomacy has received a massive overhaul which includes the following:

Updated for v11.2

All of the diplomacy modifiers from vanilla CIV V have been replaced/altered in NiGHTS. Each modifier has a weighting of (-5) to (+5), with (-5) being the threshold that triggers the AI to Denounce/DOW you (barring a backstab). These values are listed in the active tool-tips displayed during diplomacy.

Major Diplomacy Changes
    • Having a Declaration of Friendship in place will lead to a higher likelihood of the AI accepting a Defensive Pact.
    • "Close" borders penalties have been scaled back, EXCEPT if you build next to an AI's capital.
    • The AI aggressively pursues City-States.
    • City-States drive diplomacy in CivNights, as the shifting allegiances affect overall diplomacy on the most consistent basis as opposed to frequent vanilla DoW's.
    • A good way to "play" the diplo game, is to maintain neutral or friendly relationships until an AI starts a conflict with another AI, (which WILL happen due to their aggressive City-State stances).
    • The Warmonger penalty has been removed due to it's poor implementation, as you shouldn't have to get a diplo penalty for being attacked, especially with the amount of penalties already in the game.
    • The AI will like you more based on the amount of Wonders you build, (opposite of in vanilla).
    • The AI's tendency to give ridiculous peace deals has been drastically scaled back.
    • The AI favors giving armistices in most situations, (basic treaties with no tribute) but will still offer tribute in certain situations when they've been dominated.
    • The AI is much quicker to end a war, both in offering and accepting treaties.
    • DoW's and Declarations of Friendship last 25 turns instead of 50 (as of v11.2, will be changed to 30 turns to match trade deals in v11.3).
    • City-States that neighbor allied war zones will actively participate in battles (but they won't go half way across a map - keyword, neighboring!).
    • Taking this into account, using neighboring City-States as buffers is a great strategy on higher difficulty levels - as the AI WILL do this to you.
    • The AI will offer less gold for luxuries based on their opinion of you.
    • A good way to gauge relations is through trades: 600 gold per luxury is an optimal trade, 500ish means they still like you, but you're probably neighbors, while 400 or less means they don't entirely trust you, and the chances of being backstabbed are much higher than normal and almost certain at some point if they REFUSE a luxury trade.
    • Aggressive AI like Montezuma/Khan/Askia are far more likely to backstab/attack you, and overall, Civ's roleplay much more than in vanilla CIV V.
    • When you first meet Gandhi, 95% chance that he'll be friendly right off the bat.
    • Having a Declaration of Friendship with an AI drastically increases the chances of them agreeing to not settle near you if you choose this option, (but you still get a (-2) diplo penatly).
    • Having a Declaration of Friendship with an AI also drastically increases the chances of them giving in to your demands, (especially Gandhi).

All of these changes will make diplomacy in CivNights feel far more intuitive than in vanilla CIV V.

Positive Modifier Values
    • Declaration of Friendship: +5
    • Liberated a Capital: +5
    • Freed Captured Citizens: +4
    • Liberated a regular City: +4
    • Declaration of Friendship with the same Civ's: +3
    • Denounced the same Civ's: +3
    • Fought the same Enemies: +3
    • Fought the same Enemies and destroyed Cities: +2
    • The AI admires your Wonders: +2
    • Recently Traded: +2
    • Provided help when the AI asked for it: +2
    • Random first impressions of you (completely random, not based on your actions): +1

Negative Modifier Values
    • Captured their original Capital: -5
    • Nuked them: -5
    • Broke Declaration of Friendship and declared War: -5
    • Declared War on their Friends: -5
    • Culture-bombed them: -5
    • Killed protected City-States: -5
    • Denounced them/Denounced us: -4
    • City-State rivalries: -4
    • Traded with their Enemies: -3
    • Attacked protected City-States: -3
    • Broke promise to not attack City-State(s): -3