Thread: Civ 5 Will not load - exits to Windows immediately after launch

Civ 5 Will not load - exits to Windows immediately after launch

Hello there,
    I've had this problem for the last two months (from Jan 2011) but have only just gotten round to posting this. Previous to this, I was able to play the game with no problems for two months after purchasing and installing in early October 2010. I know there was a game update somewhere in between, but can't rule out other causes.

Symptoms:
    When I load (double-click) Civ 5 in Steam, I am prompted to start in DirectX 9 or DirectX 10 & 11. It doesn't matter which option I select, the symptom is the same: the screen goes blank for about 2 seconds, then I get returned to Windows. If I try again, then the game only takes a split second before it goes back to Windows.

Other interesting symptoms:
    When I try to 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' Steam says '1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired'. If I then load the game, the screen will go blank for 2 seconds before returning to Windows.

Things I've tried (to no avail):
    1. Updating my DirectX
    2. Clean installing my video drivers
    3. Verifying intergrity of game cache

Happy to provide more info from dxdiag on request but for the moment:
    - My system runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
    - Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    - DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    - Graphics card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    - Display Memory: 3804 MB
    - Dedicated Memory: 993 MB
    - Shared Memory: 2811 MB
    - Output Type: DVI
    - Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    - Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.6658 (English)
    - Driver Version: 8.17.12.6658
    - DDI Version: 10.1
    - Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    - Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    - Driver Date/Size: 1/8/2011 11:27:00, 12859496 bytes

Please help! I'm itching to play this awesome game again!!

Thanks in advance,
    patrickbullet

Hi,

Bring up the Start menu and right-click on Computer, selecting Manage.

Drop down the menu for Event Viewer, then Windows Logs, then highlight Application.

Select a corresponding event from the list and post the report in here

Hi Ian,
    Thanks for taking the time to help here. I followed your instructions and got as far as highlighting Application under Windows Logs in the Event Viewer. It's your next instruction that I think I'm confused about. In the Application window, I can see a long list of 'events' (mostly 'Information' from various sources e.g. VSS, Defrag, Windows Error Reporting). None of them seem to have a time stamp that corresponds to when I attempted to load Civ V though I can see the ones that appear to relate to my installing of the new graphics drivers. Is there a particular Source I should be looking for in the list?

I've tried to reload the game as well just now to see if a new event might appear in the list but unfortunately this hasn't worked (the most recent event in the list is 2 hours old so maybe the log takes time to update?).

Thanks again!

Does it not throw up a generic 'Windows/Civ V has encountered a problem...'-type message at all?

If not, this explains the absence of a corresponding report.

Just out of interest, do you have another user account on the system? If so, give it a quick try logged on to that.

Hi Ian,
    Unfortunately, it returns no error message or other feedback - just goes straight to desktop, as if I had loaded the game and then quit it straight away. Steam does give me its usual post-play 'specials' catalogue though so as far as Steam's concerned, the game loaded and exited.

But....

You HAVE struck gold here with your second suggestion!! When I loaded it up with a different user account it seemed to work fine! Now that reflect back, I created the other two user accounts in between when Civ was working fine and when it broke, so this seems likely to be what caused it to break.

The next question is, is there any way I can 'fix' it for my own user account?

Thanks for your help!

Patrick, can you look in your my docs/my games folder, and see if there is a civ 5 folder listed there.

Hi QuantumTarantino,
    Thanks for your help with this.

I've just taken a look and there's a folder in there called "Sid Meier's Civilization 5". Inside it is a whole bunch of other folders: cache, Logs, Maps, etc. as well as the following four files:
    1 - config.ini
    2 - GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini
    3 - GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini
    4 - UserSettings.ini

The last update on the folders was October 22, the day I installed the game. The one exception is the 'cache' folder which was last updated yesterday (presumably when I asked Steam to verify the integrity of the cache).

The ini files' most recent changes were January 8 (files 1 and 3 as per above) and Jan 29 (files 2 and 4).

Cheers,
    Patrick

I am not certain, but I think QT was going to suggest renaming that folder...

Hi Ian,
    I've just now tried renaming that folder. On reloading Civ 5, I was able to watch the first 5 seconds of the intro (2k logo) which is a step forward...but then it exited shortly after that. Future attempts to load result in the same symptoms (i.e. a few seconds of the 2K logo then exit). It's now created a new Sid Meier's Civilization 5 folder in My Games.

Thanks again,
    Patrick

ok, so thats a good thing, means nothing is very gone.

Now, this works on other user profiles, but not yours, this means the PC is good to go.

Can you download a program called hijack this, and run a scan on a working, and the non working profile please?
    This will show any differences in programs installed/running at startup

Hi QuantumTarantino,
    Sorry for the delay in my reply - I have been away on holiday for the last week (lucky me!).

I've done what you suggested and run Hijackthis on both profiles. The following lines appear only in the non-working profile:

Code:
    C:\Users\{my username}\AppData\Local\Google\Update\1.2.183.39\GoogleCrashHandler.exe
    C:\Users\{my username}\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zecter\ZumoCast\ZumoCast.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IELowutil.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE
    The following line appears eight times in non working profile log but only twice in the working profile log:
    Code:
    C:\Users\{my username}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    a bit further down, these lines appeared only in the non working profile log:

Code:
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "E:\Games\Steam\steam.exe" -silent
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ZumoCast] C:\Program Files (x86)\Zecter\ZumoCast\ZumoLauncher.lnk
    O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = {my username}\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
    With one other exception (see below), all other lines appeared in both profiles albeit with the different user account names where applicable.

The only line I could find in the working profile that was not also in the non-working profile was:
    Code:
    C:\Users\{other username}\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    Thanks again for your help!

Hopefully you are sorting this all out but in case the basics got missed in all of this tech talk... did you do a complete un-install/purge and then a full re-install of the game either from the disk or from Steam? Assuming your Win 7 install is correct and rig stable, I'd wonder if that would fix any missing or corrupted Civ 5 files or settings rather than doing it manually. Also wonder if you tried installing on another system to see if its a platform issue or a Steam issue. A benefit of Steam is you can install on multiple platforms anytime to help with issues like this one.

Nothing in the hijack this that seems to be a part of the usual suspects for this issue.

As for the chrome running 8 times, i assume its not actually open, when you see those 8 entries?

Thinking back, I probably had a few Chrome tabs running at the time. Eight seems a bit more than what I would have expected, but it is possible.

Yeah, 8 probably werent open, but chrome does some background work - so 1 tab != 1 instance in the list.

Do you think it's worth me deleting that other user account on which the game runs properly (I don't need it for anything any more) or do you think it might cause a situation where I can't load the game at all?

Worth deleting, probably not, it cant be causing a strain at all, delete or keep, is a personal preference in this case

My thinking was that perhaps by deleting the other account, Civ V might start working on my normal user account again.

Its worth a shot cant make anything worse

Out of curiosity, can you paste the entire path to the documents folder on that user account? Thanks!

Hi Bigden
    Sure thing:
    C:\Users\{My user account}\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Oblio - sorry I missed your post before. I've not yet attempted a reinstall but I think this might be the next thing I try.

I'd be really curious to know if this problem is replicable. If anyone in tech support wanted to try, here are the steps that resemble what happened to me:
    1. Find a Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine with one user account
    2. Install Civ V via Steam
    3. Play the game for a bit
    4. Create a new Windows 7 user account
    5. Log in with the new W7 user account and play Civ V using the same Steam login credentials
    6. Log out of W7
    7. Log in with original account and try to load Civ V. If the problem I'm experiencing is replicable then it shouldn't load! If this is the case, log out and log back into W7 with the second user account you created and try playing Civ V - that should work.

Cheers!

From the Steam Forum:

" Steam client Beta Available - Steam Guard
    There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself. For the beta to take affect, you will need to restart Steam a total of three times.

Here are the specific changes:

3/04/2011

- Added Steam Guard, allowing users to link management of their account to specific PCs. Attempts to access the account by any other PC will not be possible without the user's approval."

If you are switching User Accounts, its possible that the new Steam Guard utility will enable rapid switching between your accounts. I believe it sends a code to your email address which then must be used everytime you change PC's. It just may make switching between User Accounts easier as well.

Another benefit is that it provides added security against hacking of your account.

I haven't tried it since its still in Beta test mode. I will definitely use it once it goes Gold.

Are there any special characters in your username? This should not be a problem, but I want to eliminate it.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbullet View Post
    Hi Bigden
    Sure thing:
    C:\Users\{My user account}\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Oblio - sorry I missed your post before. I've not yet attempted a reinstall but I think this might be the next thing I try.

I'd be really curious to know if this problem is replicable. If anyone in tech support wanted to try, here are the steps that resemble what happened to me:
    1. Find a Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine with one user account
    2. Install Civ V via Steam
    3. Play the game for a bit
    4. Create a new Windows 7 user account
    5. Log in with the new W7 user account and play Civ V using the same Steam login credentials
    6. Log out of W7
    7. Log in with original account and try to load Civ V. If the problem I'm experiencing is replicable then it shouldn't load! If this is the case, log out and log back into W7 with the second user account you created and try playing Civ V - that should work.

Cheers!

Hi Bigden,
    No - my username is just my first name, a space, and then my surname. Both names just have normal alphabet letters (i.e. no letters with accents)

Cheers

Hmm - an update. I decided today to uninstall Civ V and reinstall it. When I go to uninstall it though, I received the following error:

"An error occurred while trying to uninstall Sid Meier's Civilization V. It may have already been uninstalled.
    Would you like to remove Sid Meier's Civilization V from the Programs and Features list?" [Yes/No]

Edit - managed to uninstall the game via Steam. I've downloaded and reinstalled the game but still get the same symptoms. The first time I loaded I was able to watch about 15 seconds of the pre-intro (2K games logo) but then it exited just like before. The game does, however, still work with the other user account.
    Last edited by patrickbullet; 03-20-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Truly bizarre patrick, something is corrupt with one user account, but ill be damned if i have a clue what it could be

There was a funny thing with Borderlands a while back that rings a bell here...

The secondary user account - no spaces in the name?

Hi Ian,
    The second user account does has a space in this case - it follows the same format (first name {space} last name)

Cheers

Well I'll be damned if that blows my theory clean out of the water.