Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February Patch Update

February Patch Update

Hey guys,

So, I just wanted to give you an update about the status of the February patch. It won't be releasing today, which means it'll be released on the very last day of Febru-- Wait, it's not a leap year? Crap!

In all seriousness: You guys all know how reluctant I am to give any sort of ETA until it's set in stone. Well, when we released the patch notes two weeks ago I really wanted to give you guys some sort of rough timeframe, and all signs pointed to a February release, so that's what I said. As recently as last Friday morning, we were all expecting to release the patch today (Feb 28.) Unfortunately, we identified an issue with the patch on Friday afternoon, and despite our best efforts, we weren't able to get the fix in and test it all in time for a release today.

As of right this second, we're doing everything in our power to have it out tomorrow, but we haven't received the final sign-off yet. With luck, I’ll have another update later this afternoon that will confirm if we’re good to release the patch tomorrow.

Update: Patch is cleared for release tomorrow (2/29)
    Last edited by 2K Greg; 02-28-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Tbh take more time, but make sure the patch it's good, don't rush it.

Ah. Too bad. But thanks for the info, and please don't let this keep you from giving us ETAs in the future. A rough estimate is better than no estimate at all.

Thanks Greg. I know you do your best...

Well, like was said, later is better than never. I guess... Thanks anyway 2KGreg, its not your fault.

Ditto, an estimate that is wrong is better than no estimate. I'm sure most of us understand an estimate isn't set in stone.

Cheers for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC04 View Post
    Ditto, an estimate that is wrong is better than no estimate. I'm sure most of us understand an estimate isn't set in stone.
    Yeah, except Greg made it sound like it was 100%.

Anyways, nice to finally hear about it, hopefully it will be out tomorrow.

Thanks for the update Greg.

Sounds good. Thanks for the update!

Greg,

All this time lots of people complaining and they have right-regarding the bad AI during combat of any kind.

Can we assume that this delay is cause you have decided to see this issue and include an improved patch?

lol!

ok I guess I can go to sleep now after waiting for almost 15 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Russian View Post
    ok I guess I can go to sleep now after waiting for almost 15 hours.
    Wake up early tomorrow; fire up Civ V; and your okay to go. Tomorrow appears to be P-Day.

Will it be renamed the March patch?

This is disappointing. But, oh well, at least we'll still get it. I have my hopes up for tomorrow.

Thanks for the update!

Disappointing to hear you all ran into a snag but thanks for the update.

almost certain the patch will be released day and date with the forthcoming DLC. it's the only thing that makes sense.

Thank you Greg...I agree with most of the other posters, an ETA that is close is better than no ETA at all...

"Let's get it right!"
    -Apollo 13

Should we tell the Steam forums or just watch them implode with rage? I have popcorn if anyone's interested.

apollo 13 ---> tom hanks ---> forest gump ---> mentally challenged ---> the handling of the public press releases leading up to the patch ---> get an unpaid intern to do this? he will bring you donuts and coffee too win win baby, win win. but thanks for all the hard work. also hurry up.

ice cream lieutenant dan

Three quick reasons why I don't mind waiting one more day:
    1. Cities now must be 3 tiles away from each other.
    2. AI won't go nuts building AA/mobile SAM units.
    3. If anyone has a problem with the AI not being a military challenge simply play the game on level 7.
    Thanks Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler10 View Post
    apollo 13 ---> tom hanks ---> forest gump ---> mentally challenged ---> the handling of the public press releases leading up to the patch ---> get an unpaid intern to do this? he will bring you donuts and coffee too win win baby, win win. but thanks for all the hard work. also hurry up.

ice cream lieutenant dan
    lieutenant dan ---> Gary Sinese ---> Ken Mattingly ---> Apollo 13

Quote Originally Posted by elektrotal View Post
    almost certain the patch will be released day and date with the forthcoming DLC. it's the only thing that makes sense.
    Déja-Vu...
    Ripley; I'd say we nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. - in the movie Aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyxpsilon View Post
    Déja-Vu...
    Ripley; I'd say we nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. - in the movie Aliens.
    Try the nukes in Civ V. Just two nukes on the same city in the same turn and the city totally disappears with the best animation I've ever seen. That's why I always start in Modern Era. I can't wait two weeks for the mushroom cloud. I need it in two hours.

Well, I'm cool with it simply because Greg was honest about it, he tried to give us some info, it got held up in development longer then he thought, but it's getting there. Now, if he didn't own up to it then I would haunt the forums for months reminding everyone but he was cool about it so I will be too.

We're not unreasonable people and we just like to know what's going on with the process. In this case Greg has done that and he's given us as much information as he could along with an estimate. Well, the estimate slipped due to reasons out of his control and it would be unreasonable to whine about it giving how forth coming he has been. This is from a guy who has hardly been a fan boy on this forum so hopefully others will agree.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMaru View Post
    Try the nukes in Civ V. Just two nukes on the same city in the same turn and the city totally disappears with the best animation I've ever seen.
    Really? I've only ever nuked a city once per turn but now I'm going to try two in one turn. There should be a steam achievement about this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    Hey guys,

So, I just wanted to give you an update about the status of the February patch. It won't be releasing today, which means it'll be released on the very last day of Febru-- Wait, it's not a leap year? Crap!

In all seriousness: You guys all know how reluctant I am to give any sort of ETA until it's set in stone. Well, when we released the patch notes two weeks ago I really wanted to give you guys some sort of rough timeframe, and all signs pointed to a February release, so that's what I said. As recently as last Friday morning, we were all expecting to release the patch today (Feb 28.) Unfortunately, we identified an issue with the patch on Friday afternoon, and despite our best efforts, we weren't able to get the fix in and test it all in time for a release today.

As of right this second, we're doing everything in our power to have it out tomorrow, but we haven't received the final sign-off yet. With luck, I’ll have another update later this afternoon that will confirm if we’re good to release the patch tomorrow.
    Thank you for the update, Greg

Seriously, I (and from what I've read, several others) would much rather wait while the devs/QE/QA fixed the problems, tested them, fixed resulting problems, etc.

There are only so many of you folks to handle this, and I am sorry it took me so long to realize that; at least I now do. I appreciate the work you, your peers, and the devs/QE/QA are doing, and I've no problem at all with waiting while all y'all work on Civ V.

Hang in there; right now, I'm having fun seeing if the Win7 64-bit SP1 makes a diff; and it appears that it does: I'm up to turn 870 (AD 1851) in a huge map/continent/marathon game (replaying a pre-Win7-SP1 game) - and have had NO crashes thus far. Pre SP1,, I had three game crashes by turn 712. Hmmmm

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
    Well, I'm cool with it simply because Greg was honest about it, he tried to give us some info, it got held up in development longer then he thought, but it's getting there. Now, if he didn't own up to it then I would haunt the forums for months reminding everyone but he was cool about it so I will be too.

We're not unreasonable people and we just like to know what's going on with the process. In this case Greg has done that and he's given us as much information as he could along with an estimate. Well, the estimate slipped due to reasons out of his control and it would be unreasonable to whine about it giving how forth coming he has been. This is from a guy who has hardly been a fan boy on this forum so hopefully others will agree.
    Not that im trying to bite the hand that feeds but its pretty easy to determine when something will be delayed, and for the better part of the last week people have been speculating about the patchs impending release as well as the date for it to launch. It just smacks of an "i dont care" attitude that we had to wait till the standard close of business (5pm est) on the last day of febuary to be told there was a snag and while it will be released soon that it almost certainly wont be today and only maybe might be tomorrow.

The issue I have isnt that its not launching today hell that kinda thing is almost expected. Id wait a whole nother month for it if it would help the team release a better patch. My issue is that rather than be up front yet again we seem to be getting a very small ammount of information, thats comming very late.

It doesnt take much to pull up the forums a on friday when he said the issue came up, and say hey guys there might be a delay on the patch. We'll do our best but dont hang your hat on the hope of a febuary launch.

/shrug.

I guess GOOD communication is too much to hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionC View Post
    Yeah, except Greg made it sound like it was 100%.

Anyways, nice to finally hear about it, hopefully it will be out tomorrow.
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Greg can only tell us what he in turn is told by project leads, program managers, and The Powers That Be.

Greg, contrary to popular opinion, is not omniscient

Quote Originally Posted by SirMaru View Post
    Try the nukes in Civ V. Just two nukes on the same city in the same turn and the city totally disappears with the best animation I've ever seen. That's why I always start in Modern Era. I can't wait two weeks for the mushroom cloud. I need it in two hours.
    Ya aughta see what a couple of nukes do to an invasion fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post

Well said, Oerdin; bravo!

That's cool. I'd rather have it done RIGHT than have it done FAST.

Quote Originally Posted by SignalNoise View Post
    That's cool. I'd rather have it done RIGHT than have it done FAST.
    So far in the past they have been 0 for 2....

Thanks for not letting the ETA expire silently.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmunkles View Post
    Not that im trying to bite the hand that feeds but its pretty easy to determine when something will be delayed, and for the better part of the last week people have been speculating about the patchs impending release as well as the date for it to launch. It just smacks of an "i dont care" attitude that we had to wait till the standard close of business (5pm est) on the last day of febuary to be told there was a snag and while it will be released soon that it almost certainly wont be today and only maybe might be tomorrow.
    While it is never the desired outcome, most projects large and small will think at one time or another will hit their milestones with a bit of luck (and a lot of effort and late nights) only to have that luck go sour at the last minute (often in QA like this).

Greg gave an ETA, he could have had it caveated to the hilt, but he would have copped flak for that too.

Software development projects are precocious beasts. The only outfits who routinely hit their milestones are those who estimate and/or operate so conservatively as to make it uneconomical to all but the most well-healed and patient customers. Neither of which apply here.

Update: Just got notice that the patch is cleared for release tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    Update: Just got notice that the patch is cleared for release tomorrow.
    Yes!!!!!!! (10 char.)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast