Thread: Bioshock 2 Crashes on 'Start-Up

Bioshock 2 Crashes on 'Start-Up

Hello All,
    Sorry to bother you with yet another Bioshock 2 crash episode, but i am at my wits end.
    It ran ok until I registered with Windows Live. Now it gets to the Windows Live Log-On screen. As soon as I log on the screen goes black and show the now all too familiar "Windows Error Message" and that it had to close the application. I have reloaded the program, loaded new drivers, patches, etc. to no avail. I bought this game with the intentions of playing it...not tryng to find/'figure out how to fix it so I can play. this is very exhausting and time consuming. I just want to sit down for a couple of hours and play a game I heard was very good. I liked the first one. Would like to be able to enjoy the sequel as well.
    Thank You in advance for your time regarding this matter.

Hi. Sorry to hear about the wasted time -- I hate technology for doing this to us -- but I think that this here is the solution:

Remove the GfWL client and reinstall it from gamesforwindows.com

While you are doing this have a look in Documents and rename the Bioshock2 folder to Bioshock 2x

Update on Bioshck 2 Crash

Thanks for the info Ian. But now there's more.
    I deleted the profile from gamesforwindowslive and deleted the game as well.
    How do I get into games for windows to load the game?
    I can't sign in to or sign up from gamesforwindows.com because it takes me to windows live. Live because it says that I already have a user name, then it ask for a password.
    When I type in the password, it says that the user name is incorrect,. and that circle keeps going around and around. I don't have any other user names other than the one I use now. I don't know what is going on. I have no clue. This is really getting frustrating. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Thank You for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Ian View Post
    Hi. Sorry to hear about the wasted time -- I hate technology for doing this to us -- but I think that this here is the solution:

Remove the GfWL client and reinstall it from gamesforwindows.com

While you are doing this have a look in Documents and rename the Bioshock2 folder to Bioshock 2x

OK. Deep breath's all round

Install the game and the GfWL client that comes along with it. When you launch the game do not sign in to your exisrting profile, instead press the Home key and select to Create New Profile.

You will then be presented with a paragraph of text. Scroll down this until you see Create Local Profile. Selecting this will allow you to create an offline account that will take all of 10 seconds.

Please do let me know if this doesn't allow it to play. Do not waste your own time, that is what I am here for!

Hello all,

Ive also encountered a problem whilst the start up of bioshock 2 the funny thing though is that i have managed to play a few seconds (up to the point where the arm gun is found jammed under the door and then my game freezes) mad at this face and that i could not save i looked up why i could not save so i got stuck in an ever lasting loop of trying to get GfWL to work until i figured out how to create an offline profile which worked neatly - then my single player game just would not pass the start up well it does start up but upon trying to skip the boring credits it locks up and crashes

i am working with a hp pavillion dv3 2110 eh model:
    intel core 2 duo cpu T6500 2.10 GHz
    4 gb ram
    64 buit system - vista home premium service pack 1

i hope those specs can help if any more info is needed it will gladly be posted

thank you in advance i hope some one can help me (which is greatly appreciated)

Zeh Deutschbag, rename the Bioshock2 folder from Documents/My Games