View Poll Results: Which city will you choose?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Columbia

7 14.58%
  • Rapture

41 85.42%

Thread: Rapture or Columbia?

Rapture or Columbia?

Which city do you think is or will be the ultimate symbol of Bioshock?
    Columbia- The city in the sky
    Rapture- The city at the bottom of the sea

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Diver View Post
    Which city do you think is or will be the ultimate symbol of Bioshock?
    Columbia- The city in the sky
    Rapture- The city at the bottom of the sea
    It's hard to say cause we haven't been to Columbia yet. But until then I would say rapture

Rapture takes places during a better era in the timeline. Rapture all the way!

rapture will always be the best imo.
    no matter how good columbia is, Rapture will always be greater in my eyes

Rapture FTW definitely! I do love the early 1900's so even the Era that Columbia is set in is lovely but............... It's not Rapture, it's not art deco, it's not copper rivets and it's not gloomy in some points claustrophobic!!

Columbia appears quite sunny and light but as AK Downfall said, we haven't been there yet so its hard to comment.
    I know Rapture will always be close to my heart so Columbia will have to be pretty
    f&ing amazing to even consider it!

The thing I'm waiting to see is if there is going to be some fantastic build up for Infinite like the SiTS for BS2?

"Columbia is on the rise!"

That's my only comment.

Have to agree with AK Downfall.

But I think I will always be in love with Rapture. It was the place for the first two games.

We will all love Columbia for its own reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_Runner View Post
    We will all love Columbia for its own reasons
    Agreed!

But as I stated before, there's something about Rapture, something eerie, claustrophobic, art deco and wonderful. Something that Columbia can never be, sunny, breezy and open! It's beautiful and I'm sure we'll love it like you say but to some of us including me, It's no Rapture!

Oh rise, Rapture, rise!
    We turn our hopes up to the skies!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas- View Post
    Oh rise, Rapture, rise!
    We turn our hopes up to the skies!
    That song makes no sense.

Why raise your hopes to the skies if you're moving underwater?

Right now I would have to pick Rapture. Its a place I actually want to see more of. But I think Columbia will have its own charm when we finally get our hands on it. But Rapture is just something different all together, I love just looking at it. However when I think Bioshock I think more of the gameplay mechanics and the style of the stories. I think Columbia will be a nice addition but Rapture will always be my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyHaze View Post
    Agreed!

But as I stated before, there's something about Rapture, something eerie, claustrophobic, art deco and wonderful. Something that Columbia can never be, sunny, breezy and open! It's beautiful and I'm sure we'll love it like you say but to some of us including me, It's no Rapture!
    Who says its going to be ALL sunny, breezy, and open? There could be parts in the darkness, or claustrophobic parts. Heck, the little we've seen of Columbia could be a small part in a game that is mostly "eerie and claustrophobic" as you said. We won't know until we hear more, or until it comes out. Until then, its a mystery.

You kind of already see this in that demo they've been showing. Theres the creepy (yet really cool looking) image of the womans image sweeping the porch in front of a burning building. And then later when they walk through the bar area. And also during the big fight towards the end when everything gets hectic and dark and stormy. Im not sure about the claustrophobic but Columbia seems to have been approached in a different yet still interesting way. Im really interested to see how they developed the lighting in the game, since the prior games used it so very well.

I'm sure Columbia will be a fascinating place, but it will be hard to top Rapture. Hyrule barely makes it.

We will always love Rapture... but I'm sure we'll love Columbia as well. And we'll never love them for the same reasons.
    I don't think we should compare the two,we should celebrate their beauty and their differences.

Rapture will always be in my heart, but there's plenty of room for Columbia as well.

I don't see how you could even compare them well. I mean, they're totally different! (by what we've seen so far)

Well i voted Rapture since i haven't really got to experience Columbia yet

Rapture always

If people thought Plasmids were far fetched circa 1950, what will they say about Tonics in circa 1892.

Rapture was created during a time when music was at its' 'golden era' and with the war just ended, industry, and science was at the forefront again. Columbia has nothing going for it in terms of historical events that occurred in the time line. Plus the idea of a floating city held in the air by giant canvas balloons is just dumb. One shotgun blast at a balloon would cause entire sections of the city to fall out of the sky. I thought Rapture was far fetched and conceptually stupid, but Columbia now takes the cake.

With all that said, I think Rapture is better thus far but my opinion may change. I love the architecture, music, and art style of Rapture and art deco, I don't know how much racism/white supremacy BS I could tolerate in Columbia and by the looks of things they Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that concept alot.

I will always be with Rapture at first when I saw the game it freaked me out but as I played it more and more I started loving it more and more and once I found out about Art Deco it inspired me to do a lot of research on it and then in all of my projects try to throw that in there a little bit. Rapture I wouldn't say is far fetched because during that time a lot of technological innovations were happening though, they thought by now we would have flying cars and have colonies in space and we don't have either but still. Art Deco was just amazing for me at least and then the music of the time just showed how frivolous it was during that time since the war was over and everything was returning back to normal now. Though Columbia can't compare because the game isn't out so we have nothing on it.

Colmumbia is dark to.

Are we allowed to choose both?

Rapture is so beloved because it is so huge, beautiful, and awe-inspiring, and is such a detailed and unique city. But why do people keep hatin' on Columbia?! I mean, its probably gonna be a beautiful, amazing, detailed, big, and unique city as well! Maybe even more so!

Can't say. There's so little we know about Columbia.

Rapture. I love Art Deco. Columbia's pretty, but I think Rapture will always have this beauty that Columbia cannot possess. Eh, but that's me. I prefer the ocean, not so much the sky.

Rapture forever ! They need to expand into a yet unexplored sister city. Infinte will be cool. But, They should take the advanced gameplay from it and later re-visit the underwater theme.

Rapture was better because it was more believable, even the time it takes place fits well with the Rapture City and its beliefs not to mention inhabitants.

Columbia is very far from reality which takes away a lot of the appeal of the game since its not at all believable in 1912 an air city could exist, let alone be self sufficient. Even if it had government funding and all that the facts are in that time a city in the air is much more complicated and harder to do then a city underwater.

Rapture was seen to be having problems early on but the fact it was in the 50's and 60's meant the technology basics are there and it could be done, but it would have many problems staying in one piece which is believable.

An air city is cool and all but the time frame is so wrong it might as well be a Final Fantasy game. BioShock 1 and 2 were believable and realistic enough that it could be possible, part of why people loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by xPOORGUYx View Post
    rapture will always be the best imo.
    no matter how good columbia is, Rapture will always be greater in my eyes
    So even if Columbia is better than Rapture, Rapture is better than Columbia...?

*head explode*

Rapture as of now. I don't think my opinion is going to change, but we'll see when infinite comes out.

I can say just from looking at Columbia that it will never eclipse Rapture, nothing will, it is without a doubt my favourite setting in any game that I have ever played or even just heard of.

Rapture is not dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam James Walker View Post
    I can say just from looking at Columbia that it will never eclipse Rapture, nothing will, it is without a doubt my favourite setting in any game that I have ever played or even just heard of.

Rapture is not dead!
    Now you sound like a man who would say something like this...

DEATH TO COLUMBIA! LONG LIVE RAPTURE!

;-)

That sounds like a reasonable thing to say .

Dont listen to the Parasite Rapture is on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas- View Post
    Dont listen to the Parasite Rapture is on the rise
    "Ignore the lies of Atlas and his bandits, Rapture is on the rise."

God damn Fontaine.

rapture but good to see a new chapter based on Colombia,
    obviously I hope to return to rapture in a future chapter.

RAPTURE indeed. Both cities have slight different concepts, Columbia is more advanced on the graphic side, some scenes are memorable however, the change of concept doesn’t fit to Bioshock initial ideas, only the political and religion issue is perhaps hits the point but COLUMBIA has lost the dark, depressing, tense and magic atmosphere of Rapture. Both are great games but there was no need to call it BIOSHOCK...

Longing for REAL Bioshock 3...