Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The much-requested addition

The much-requested addition

The time has come to reveal the “much-requested addition” that I teased you all with in the most recent patch notes.

Hotseat is coming in the next big patch, which is currently slated for a June or possibly early July release.

For those of you that do not know, Hotseat is a method of playing multiplayer where multiple players take turns on the same computer. When one player’s turn is over, they get up and let the other player sit down to play their turn. We’ve received many requests for the ETA for this mode being added to the game and so I’m very happy to get to bring this to you guys today.

Also, this patch will contain far more than just Hotseat. The other details of the patch will be revealed in the future, but I wanted to get you guys this big news as soon as I could!

yay!

Now all I have to do is get the wife interested . . . . .

at least I have some time to work on her

thanks for the info

I don't play MP Civ, but I am glad they are finally getting one of their requests met. Good job.

Also, 2KGreg, would it be possible to once again have a patch note preview thread whenever it becomes feasible to have one? Those are always great threads to keep track of. And to give some feedback on.

Delighted to hear that Greg.

Do you know if PBEM will also come as part of that? I might be in a minority buts the single most important feature as far as I'm concerned.

Time to close the thread before it once again degenerates into lovers and haters and why don't you this or that instead of this or that....

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMcG View Post
    Delighted to hear that Greg.

Do you know if PBEM will also come as part of that? I might be in a minority buts the single most important feature as far as I'm concerned.
    I've been wondering, when people talk about PBEM for Civ, do they mean it literally, the formerly common technique of sending a savefile by email and loading it up (or slightly more advanced, sending a 'turn' file), or is it the sort-of-equivalent but more streamlines idea of internet multiplayer without simultaneous turns? I've come across it used to refer to the latter elsewhere, so wondered...

This is great news, I didn't dare hope for it and was sure it would be the replay, but now I can play against my son as it was intended. Thanks. Those couple of months will fly by now.

Finally!!!!

FANTASTIC!!! My wife and I can FINALLY play Civ V together!!! Thank you, Firaxis!!!

Thank you Greg. I have nothing to post but positivity.

@SamBC: The Civ series has had both PBEM and Pitboss simultaneously, in the past. I never read up on Civ's implementation of PBEM, though. I know that Pitboss is like a server that sits there, giving players 24 hours to take a turn. When it's not your turn you can view the map and queue up actions.

I cant be happy with this announcement. Still 2-3 months waiting... omfg!

Quote Originally Posted by AeEsBii View Post
    @SamBC: The Civ series has had both PBEM and Pitboss simultaneously, in the past. I never read up on Civ's implementation of PBEM, though. I know that Pitboss is like a server that sits there, giving players 24 hours to take a turn. When it's not your turn you can view the map and queue up actions.
    I thought pitboss allowed the game to keep going whether anyone was connected or not, but was still simultaneous turns (with really long turn time limits, and never rolling over early); if I were to play internet MP of any sort, I'd want to have non-simultaneous turns - tried that with freeciv before now, don't really like it, prefer to wait between turns while each player gets their turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathieza View Post
    I cant be happy with this announcement. Still 2-3 months waiting... omfg!
    They said they'd give us an ETA as soon as they could... you'd prefer they'd waited until sooner before it?

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    I've been wondering, when people talk about PBEM for Civ, do they mean it literally, the formerly common technique of sending a savefile by email and loading it up (or slightly more advanced, sending a 'turn' file), or is it the sort-of-equivalent but more streamlines idea of internet multiplayer without simultaneous turns? I've come across it used to refer to the latter elsewhere, so wondered...
    Yep, when people say PBEM they mean literally emailing a save file to the next player when it's their turn. Civ IV had PBEM built-in so it would do the emailing for you automatically (I believe.)

In my humble personal opinion, Pitboss has rendered PBEM completely obsolete. It's essentially the same thing, but without the hassle of having to email save files, and with the huge added benefit of allowing players in the game to log in out of turn-order, which makes games go much, much faster in games with more than 2 human players.

2K Greg, thanks for the news (even though I won't be using hotseat).

And thank the dev-team for me for continuing on improving this game and fixing stuff that's broken. Well appreciated
    I know you guys get a lot of flak in the forums, so an appreciation would be nice, I thought.

Eagerly awaiting the next patchnotes.
    ---------------------------------------------
    So hotseat is in. A move up to working multiplayer perhaps? We can only hope

Meanwhile, hotseaters, rejoice!

Yes, the Pitboss server is still up even if no players are connected. It's up to whoever sets up the game to decide if it has a turn-timer; otherwise you wait for the person before you to end their turn. (Your city production and tech queues can be changed even if it's not your turn, though.)

The Civ IV page on Pitboss: link

PBEM has two big advantages over Pitboss in my opinion. Turns are not simultaneous and two, one can play them in his/her own time. pitboss needs a host. A computer connected to the internet 24/7. PBEM needs not.

PBEM is essentially hotseat but with the players not being in the same room So I'm wondering, just like MacMcG, will PBEM be included as well? That might start up the MP on http://www.weplayciv.com instead of all the MP that is still going on in Civ4, because of the lack of PBEM and Pitboss. (at the moment there's actually only one Pitboss game going and around 14 PBEM games...)

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    The time has come to reveal the “much-requested addition” that I teased you all with in the most recent patch notes.

Hotseat is coming in the next big patch, which is currently slated for a June or possibly early July release.

For those of you that do not know, Hotseat is a method of playing multiplayer where multiple players take turns on the same computer. When one player’s turn is over, they get up and let the other player sit down to play their turn. We’ve received many requests for the ETA for this mode being added to the game and so I’m very happy to get to bring this to you guys today.

Also, this patch will contain far more than just Hotseat. The other details of the patch will be revealed in the future, but I wanted to get you guys this big news as soon as I could!
    Well my 10 year old boy and I will test that out when it comes. We don't play CIV V since it does not have hotseat, and he does not enjoy it like CIV IV. I told him about the recent updates to CIV V; he tried the game after not playing for a long time, but his attention waned swiftly (understand we had to peel him from the screen when CIV IV was up). Maybe hotseat will make it more fun. It will be nice to play together.

probably wont use the hotseat (me and the gf just play over wifi if we want to do multiplayer (which is pretty much never)), but glad it's finally been added anyway. bring in MP animations soon too, and maybe some of the riots will cease

So is it safe to assume that we will be able to disable simultaneous turns in LAN/Internet play after the addition of Hotseat?

Greg, you should probably post this wonderful news in the hotseat petition thread and the multiplayer subforum for the benefit of those who only monitor those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by arsyn1c View Post
    So is it safe to assume that we will be able to disable simultaneous turns in LAN/Internet play after the addition of Hotseat?
    Very poor bet; Hotseat is essentially just rotating which player is active, it has NOTHING to do with p2p code that multiplayer uses.

sweet cant wait to play 200 turns of hotseat and then have it render a game unplayable!

Doesn't sounds like a terribly logical assumption to me... they're separate game modes.

I asked a dozen times and you always ignored this question.

WILL PBEM COME IN A FREE PATCH ?

Maybe this time you will see it (or not)

No, that would not be a safe assumption; hotseat has very little to do with networked play.

Quote Originally Posted by many people
    PBEM?
    No, not in this patch. PBEM is still on the "we'll see" table.

PBEM could be used by the community without official 2k/Firaxis support if you are able to save between turns on Hotseat. This, as well as password protection for different turns (hopefully standard for hotseat anyway), would allow you to email a save back and forth quite easily, though the email feature would not be built into the game.

1. Why have you still not told us Sid Meier's favorite color? You've been dodging this question for months, now, 2kGreg.

2. Hotseat was not "much requested." Hotseat was much promised. That said, I'm happy for the many, many people that are going to enjoy playing CiV with their friends and family.

Thanks guys!!

No, not in this patch. PBEM is still on the "we'll see" table.
    What does that mean ?

Should I remind you that in July 2010 Dennis Shirk said that Civ5 was shipping with basic multiplayer and that Hotseat, Pitboss and PBEM would be added later in a free patch ? Now it's "we'll see".

Wow

I believe he meant "We'll see when it can be done", not "We'll see IF it can be done".

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrionn View Post
    I believe he meant "We'll see when it can be done", not "We'll see IF it can be done".
    Oh really ? Then why it's so hard for him to clarify and answer the damn question with a straight answer ? It's not like it's been asked like 200 times in multiple forums for 10 ☺☺☺☺ing months, I personally asked him the first time on August 2010. Of course I never got an answer.

The question is simple: will PBEM come in a free patch ? The possible answers are YES or NO.
    You should notice that I never asked WHEN. So he is not really answering me. He's trying to elude the answer again, like he always does.

Quote Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
    2. Hotseat was not "much requested." Hotseat was much promised. That said, I'm happy for the many, many people that are going to enjoy playing CiV with their friends and family.
    It being promised didn't make it any less requested

Quote Originally Posted by lietkynes View Post
    Should I remind you that in July 2010 Dennis Shirk said that Civ5 was shipping with basic multiplayer and that Hotseat, Pitboss and PBEM would be added later in a free patch ? Now it's "we'll see".
    The original site that conducted that interview updated their article very shortly after it was published, as it was incorrect information.
    That was Greg's response last year about Dennis Shirk's interview. Indeed, the information about additional multiplayer modes can only be found in cached or reposted copies of the interview; the article on Shacknews was updated and removed the original answer wholesale (as opposed to strike-thru text).

Saying "yes" to PBEM means that Firaxis has to make it. Saying "no" would give the impression that there will never be PBEM, but that might not be true. "We'll see" means they might start working on it eventually, but that's not a sure thing.

An answer for which you can demand a strict Yes/No is, "Is there currently work being done on PBEM?" Of course, even if that turned out to be yes, that's not a promise that it will be finished, either. And even a "no" doesn't mean they won't start working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
    Who cares about the semantics. They promised, they delivered.

It being promised didn't make it any less requested
    Hello, what's up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrionn View Post
    No, PBEM is in the "we'll see if it can be done" category. Hotseat and Pitboss are the two modes we have said will come out for sure; PBEM is not guaranteed. That doesn't mean we're not looking in to it though. Also, as you said, it's possible that hotseat will be possible to be used as an "unofficial PBEM" but I am not sure about that quite yet.

As for the quote you are referencing, lietkynes: that statement was issued in error and was corrected very shortly after it was published. If you check the original Shacknews article that it came from, you'll see that it was corrected for accuracy. Dennis was mistaken in his original answer.

No, PBEM is in the "we'll see if it can be done" category. Hotseat and Pitboss are the two modes we have said will come out for sure; PBEM is not guaranteed. That doesn't mean we're not looking in to it though. Also, as you said, it's possible that hotseat will be possible to be used as an "unofficial PBEM" but I am not sure about that quite yet.

As for the quote you are referencing, lietkynes: that statement was issued in error and was corrected very shortly after it was published. If you check the original Shacknews article that it came from, you'll see that it was corrected for accuracy. Dennis was mistaken in his original answer.
    That's a very answer. Hot seat or PBEM are not things that I care about, but I'm glad to see Hot Seat and Pitboss are going to be there for the MP players.

Quote Originally Posted by AeEsBii View Post
    "We'll see" means they might start working on it eventually, but that's not a sure thing.
    I know, it's quite self-evident

I was answering Valkionn who was said
    Also I remember very well that PBEM was promised 2 months before release, so "we'll see" is definetly not acceptable for me.
    But hey I'm just one guy, most people will buy dozens of DLC, I will move to other games and never give one more dollar to this company. Everyone's happy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast