Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: CIV World: IGN Preview

  1. #1

    CIV World: IGN Preview

    I posted this earlier on CivFanatics - thought I'd post it here as well.
    http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/116/1167265p1.html

    I was fully prepared to ignore this game as an inconsequential addition to Civ, but it actually sounds fairly in depth and complex with some great features like a commodities market that goes up and down based on resource consumption, and a dynamic voting system that trumps the system currently in CIV V.

    "Perhaps that's because it's being developed by Sid Meier himself. 2K says it's his baby, and you can tell. He's created a new experience that still feels like classic Civilization, with all of the strategy and depth that comes with it."

    This quote makes me wonder how CIV V - or even CIV IV - would have turned out if Sid was as hands on as he seems to be with the Facebook version.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glorious Republic of Melbourne
    Posts
    3,029
    Quote Originally Posted by markusbeutel View Post
    This quote makes me wonder how CIV V - or even CIV IV - would have turned out if Sid was as hands on as he seems to be with the Facebook version.
    Mm.. That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw that quote. Maybe now that CivWorld's done he'll move back to the real games.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    34
    I always assumed that the reason he moved on to other projects was that he was bored with Civ, alas, this is speculation - but I'm still pessimistic about his chances of steering the Civ V ship.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    885
    He brought very little of value to civ in the first place; CivRev was his baby too, remember?

    Reynolds and Soren were the ones who made Civilization what it is (2, and 3+4 respectively, IIRC), not Meyer. He is on record as wanting to simplify those iterations of the games, and likely got his way with 5 more than he has the previous iterations.

    Stop with the hero worship and look at his track record. Just because his name is on it, does not mean he has anything to do with it's success.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    374
    your statement is utter rubbish valkrionn. Sid Meier has had his hands on some very good games , and the civ franchise would not be what it is without his contributions. Sounds like somebody is butthurt about something. That said, Soren was the real brainchild of the series. I think it can go without much argument that civ4 was the best in the series, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

    and don't try to rebuttal that civ4 wasn't any good until bts because it was.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,147
    looks childish tbh

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    262
    Looks like another crap game for suckers like Civ V was.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggs713 View Post
    your statement is utter rubbish valkrionn. Sid Meier has had his hands on some very good games , and the civ franchise would not be what it is without his contributions. Sounds like somebody is butthurt about something. That said, Soren was the real brainchild of the series. I think it can go without much argument that civ4 was the best in the series, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

    and don't try to rebuttal that civ4 wasn't any good until bts because it was.
    The man is on record as saying that allowing the game to cheat in favor of the player is a good thing.

    That is eroding the game design, to give minute, passing enjoyment... BAD idea.

    He has also stated that he dislikes too much complexity, and things should be simple... This isn't bad if done well, but he had more of a hand in CivRev than he did in 2, 3, or 4. It shows, and strongly so.

    The man had the original concept for the civilization games, yes, and should receive credit. But blind faith that a game will be good, simply because he is involved in it? Absolutely not. And THAT is what I objected to.

    Soren and Reynolds are the reason for the franchise's success, if you're going to put it on anyone at all; I'd prefer to give credit to all of the developers, personally.


    And I would not try that rebuttal; I'd already said that about Soren.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkrionn View Post
    But blind faith that a game will be good, simply because he is involved in it? Absolutely not. And THAT is what I objected to.
    It seems like Nicole Tanner liked it so far. and whatever, its a free facebook game, saying that Sid Meier worked on it is enough for me to check it out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    Why do you wonder how Civ V or Civ IV would have turned out if Sid did the game himself? He only made Civ. He didn't make Civ II or Alpha Centauri that credit goes to Brian Reynolds. So Sid can make a good game, but so far he can't make an Awsome game like Brian did with Civ II.

    Not sure how I will like this game. While it might be free being a Facebook game I guess we can't be ripped off like a few of us have been with Civ V. I also don't like the idea of playing with others. One of the reasons I like Civ is it's a great single player game and I don't need multiplayer to have a great time.

    So I am leary of it. I guess after the bad taste of Civ V in my mouth I can't get excited for this even if it is a new Civ game. I wish Sid would work on Civ Rev II instead.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Schwarzeneggerberg, Socal
    Posts
    2,269
    civ4 was the best in the series,
    opinions.

    stacks suck. I'd say 2 was the best and 5 could be the best if they just tweaked a few things. I don't consider the life of 5 to be over yet.

    also I worship Bryan Reynolds. Of course I do. He also made Rise of Nations.

    I think Sid Meier is respectable at least though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    885
    Respectable? Absolutely. I just find the hero worship to be misplaced. He's not solely responsible for the Civilization franchise; He birthed it, but Reynolds and Soren raised it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Glorgville
    Posts
    1,395
    I can't say I'd ever play the game on Facebook; however, I support Firaxis branching out. With any luck and the money from the CivFacebook perhaps Firaxis will continue to develop PC Civ games.

    My preference actually would be for Firaxis/2K to license the Civ franchise to a new game developer who can breath new life into the project again. Civ 5's good but I think the whole series needs a new direction.

    If this came to be, I'd like to see Stardock give Civ a go.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Schwarzeneggerberg, Socal
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkrionn View Post
    Respectable? Absolutely. I just find the hero worship to be misplaced. He's not solely responsible for the Civilization franchise; He birthed it, but Reynolds and Soren raised it.
    Yeah I agree with you completely.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkrionn View Post
    He brought very little of value to civ in the first place; CivRev was his baby too, remember?

    Reynolds and Soren were the ones who made Civilization what it is (2, and 3+4 respectively, IIRC), not Meyer. He is on record as wanting to simplify those iterations of the games, and likely got his way with 5 more than he has the previous iterations.
    Sid was pure genius but the man is 57, he can't be as creative as he was 20 years ago. I remember an interview from him when Civ1 came out where he said that designing Civ was a hard process that left him completely empty because he put all his ideas and energy in it.

    Another great thing about Sid is that he was wise enough to pass the torch to new emergent designers (Brian Reynolds, Soren Johnson, Jeff Briggs) who gave an immense contribution to the game, it's not an easy choice to put your creature in someone else's hands. And they did great, both Reynolds (his work on SMAC was incredible) and Johnson (his "don't blow it" paper about designing Civ4 is still in my mind).


    Quote Originally Posted by Valkrionn View Post
    Stop with the hero worship and look at his track record. Just because his name is on it, does not mean he has anything to do with it's success.
    I agree 100%

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by lietkynes View Post
    Sid was pure genius but the man is 57, he can't be as creative as he was 20 years ago. I remember an interview from him when Civ1 came out where he said that designing Civ was a hard process that left him completely empty because he put all his ideas and energy in it.

    Another great thing about Sid is that he was wise enough to pass the torch to new emergent designers (Brian Reynolds, Soren Johnson, Jeff Briggs) who gave an immense contribution to the game, it's not an easy choice to put your creature in someone else's hands. And they did great, both Reynolds (his work on SMAC was incredible) and Johnson (his "don't blow it" paper about designing Civ4 is still in my mind).




    I agree 100%
    I mostly agree with you. I just think he's moved in the wrong direction as time went on.. But then, so have Reynolds and Soren. All three are involved in "casual" games now, in some form.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkrionn View Post
    Respectable? Absolutely. I just find the hero worship to be misplaced. He's not solely responsible for the Civilization franchise; He birthed it, but Reynolds and Soren raised it.
    Reynolds rasied it, Soren didn't. As much as I am so disapointed with Civ V, it is Jon Shaffer who saved Civ IV from failure. I have ripped him alot of his work on Civ V, but I will give him praise how he saved the joke that Civ IV was.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Davor View Post
    Reynolds rasied it, Soren didn't. As much as I am so disapointed with Civ V, it is Jon Shaffer who saved Civ IV from failure. I have ripped him alot of his work on Civ V, but I will give him praise how he saved the joke that Civ IV was.
    That's a bit debatable; Most of the decisions in Civ4 that I disagree with, wouldn't have been Soren himself (mostly likely, at least); Take for example Religion, where all are exactly the same. That would be 2k's lawyers, IMO.

    But yes, Shafer helped make the game as beloved as it was; But don't forget, he wasn't the only lead design on that game. There was also Alex Mantzaris.

  19. #19
    Sid Meier is without a doubt the greatest creator and visionary in computer gaming history. No doubt about that at all. I bought his Pirates! back in 1987 and have been following his career since then. I bought, played and loved his Civilization 1 and have been playing all of them up until the fiver (which I consider a debacle though). That's why I am so saddened to see Sid Meier's talent go to waste with crappy cash-ins like Civ World. I mean, whatever happened? A cheesy, linear Farmville where the guy who pays the most RL Dollars for crops wins the game isn't exactly what I call a good strategy game!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •