Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news about dedicated servers on PC

Exclamation Breaking news about dedicated servers on PC

Hey guys,

Got some good news for you today - Duke Nukem Forever on PC will have dedicated servers for our experienced users.

(Side note: This will be an unsupported features, but it will be there for those that want to use it.)

Great news!

hell yeah it is!

Kewl. BTW are u guys at E3? Watching the coverage and haven't seem much 2k other than Bioshock infinite.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkman View Post
    Kewl. BTW are u guys at E3? Watching the coverage and haven't seem much 2k other than Bioshock infinite.
    We are - we have The Darkness II, Duke Nukem Forever MP, XCOM, and BioShock Infinite (plus 2K Sports and 2K Play stuff).

Oh right i did see Kobe lol he need to practice. Thanks. Darkness looks kewl btw.

Here's a preview for XCOM, will probably have more 2K stuff to come.

XCOM Preview

There's a lot of talk about XCOM going on in the XCOM boards. Lets try to keep this one about Duke for now guys :P

All we need now is MOD tools and that will just be the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.

I saw an opportunity and pounced haha.

Fantastic news about the dedicated servers btw, going to be a massive hit at LANs!

So tell me, what other options are there besides dedicated servers? I know that there is a "Quick Match" option, based off of the demo files.

Is there a POC that a Game Server Provider can contact to get information regarding the dedicated server files? We'd like to have some dedicated servers running on release for the community. If you want, please PM me and I'll give you my work email to contact me in regards to this.

Not supported ? ... how? ... you mean it will not get patched for fixes (like stability/security/optimizations/linux bins) ... or just not receive official support in manual/contact ... or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewox View Post
    Not supported ? ... how? ... you mean it will not get patched for fixes (like stability/security/optimizations/linux bins) ... or just not receive official support in manual/contact ... or what.
    It's probably the same as any other game. For example, if you contact EA support regarding a problem with the server files for any of their games, such as BF2, BC2, etc, they will tell you they don't "support" the dedicated server files. Kinda silly if you ask me. Just look at the dedicated server support Homefront has gotten. They even have an official dedicated server wiki to help server admins, but if the dedicated server files are available and server can be hosted at GSP's, that would be fantastic.

im so happy in 20 hours 37 minutes is the release day of our duke nukem and then another 10 hours (so 30hours 37minutes) untill my game store opens , and then il be playing the sh.. out of the game!!!!! balls of steels edition to! dunno why i bought it, but since the pc version balls of steel costs equally as much as a normal duke on ps3 or xbox i decided to pre-order the balls of steel (thank god i did this months ago cuz now they are sold out :'( )

Why did it take this damn long to confirm?!?!?!?!

Can you provide more details please on the dedicated server? Will it be standalone? Estimated resource usage, max players, etc.

I guess the Duke would also be playable in LAN-mode?

Elizabeth - When will we have more details on this?

Probably when she gets a chance to repond. She's not online 24/7.

Given that it is, at the time of my posting this, 8:18 am PST (which is the timezone she is in, or -8GMT) and the fact that E3 is still going on today (which she is working at) her response time is probably going to be a bit slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    Probably when she gets a chance to repond. She's not online 24/7.

Given that it is, at the time of my posting this, 8:18 am PST (which is the timezone she is in, or -8GMT) and the fact that E3 is still going on today (which she is working at) her response time is probably going to be a bit slower.
    I have become a digital octopus so that I can run this E3 area and live streams and post. Also, David and Greg are around and will be helping a ton so don't feel shy about asking them stuff.

I don't have any more details for you guys right now and I'll need to be with devs or even better, by a build to try and answer some of your questions so likely most of you will beat me to the punch since it's releasing today. Alas, I did not bring a build to E3 on this laptop.

It's not releasing until the 14th according to Steam...

Quote Originally Posted by GrossKopf View Post
    North America gets the game on the 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by DAWeeE1 View Post
    North America gets the game on the 14th.
    I think there's an echo in here.

Apparently the dedicated servers offer no options or settings of any kind. And it doesn't even have a console window so you can administrate it properly. AND you can't play on your own server. No wonder they said "unsupported." It's pathetically useless.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicallyInspired View Post
    Apparently the dedicated servers offer no options or settings of any kind. And it doesn't even have a console window so you can administrate it properly. AND you can't play on your own server. No wonder they said "unsupported." It's pathetically useless.
    If you have a specific question or piece of feedback, let me know - otherwise I just wanted you to know that I've relayed this message (more or less, that is) to the devs so they can look into it. Feedback is welcome, just try and keep it respectful. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    If you have a specific question or piece of feedback, let me know - otherwise I just wanted you to know that I've relayed this message (more or less, that is) to the devs so they can look into it. Feedback is welcome, just try and keep it respectful. ;-)
    Where did he get the dedicated server? Does it come with the game (which I can't get to until the 14th...)? I can't imagine a dedicated server that would be so restrictive. Makes me wonder if I should cancel my preorder. After all, I buy games for the multiplayer and that includes being able to play on servers that are customized the way I like.

From DedicatedServer.txt:

Sorry, but Duke is limited to fragging eight at a time. You can configure this with:
    ?MaxPlayers=8

Hello? It is the year 2011 and not 1997!
    Why do pretty much all the major game companies -completely- fail when it comes to multiplayer?
    Good graphics and a cool soundtrack boost sales, but after a year nobody gives a damn about the game anymore.
    Take a guess why after 10 years people are still playing games like the Quake series...
    I am totally disappointed.

Well, Elizabeth, the dedicated server that comes with the game just doesn't have enough features. Or any features at all. Literally. That's about the only feedback I can give. The only evidence that the thing is running at all is a little icon in the system tray. That's it. If it's going to be unsupported at least give us everything we need so we can do it all on our own. Here's what is needed:

• A console window to moderate and administrate the server
    • Any runtime options at all besides simply "Exit" on the little menu on the system tray icon
    • The ability to join your own server. Steam won't allow a second instance of the game EXE so you can't launch the game and the dedicated server at the same time. This is possible with other Steam games.

Without these things it's pretty useless.

Wow. That's the icing on my cake. I'll be cancelling my preorder now. If they fix this in the future, I might get the game, but I do not buy games for the SP. I buy it for the MP.

Wow. That's the icing on my cake. I'll be cancelling my preorder now. If they fix this in the future, I might get the game, but I do not buy games for the SP. I buy it for the MP.
    Where as I do completely the opposite. I may play a few days in multiplayer, I played Bioshock 2 for around 3 days... So maybe I'll do this for 3 days as well. I buy SP games, that sometimes happen to have MP.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Why do pretty much all the major game companies -completely- fail when it comes to multiplayer?
    Because it's cheaper and easier for them to use an existing multiplayer platform like Steamworks or GFWL. AND it gives them the DRM solution they crave. Not necessarily so good for the customer, but AWESOME for them.

Elizabeth - it's been 4 days since we heard from you. Any update on this? I've love to hear that an update would be coming out that allows us to customize our servers and administrate them... puhlease!?

ANy updates here? Is there perhaps a dedicated server wiki up yet?

Elizabeth - it's been 4 days since we heard from you. Any update on this? I've love to hear that an update would be coming out that allows us to customize our servers and administrate them... puhlease!?
    I don't have that update for you, but any changes/fixes that happen will be relayed to you as soon as I hear about them. Right now, dedicated servers are unsupported and that's why we definitely said people who are more experienced should be the ones using them.

The problem is, experience or no, we don't have the tools needed to run them effectively.

Oh Elizabeth (read: oh god) please tell us that we won't always have to give up our seat in the game to run a single game in a """dedicated server""".

The PC I am sitting in front of now has the processing power to run several matches simultaneously (if it doesn't have to 'draw' any of them on it's display especially) and my connection is good to the tune of 400kb/s both ways continuously while leaving bandwidth for my other purposes.

My eyes got tired. I told all my friends I was putting up a DS game and now I need to check with the ones who said they'd play it before I take it down at 8pm to play some more myself? Ridiculous - all I want to do is let whoever is playing when I want to kill finish their darn match and I can't find out diddly squat regarding anybody playing it. I can run wireshark and see all the traffic associated with it (and then count IP addresses) but that's a laboured way to figure out people are using it and gives no indication where any round is up to or if they are sitting on the results page.

I want to kill it when there is ten seconds to go on the results page so they had 20 seconds to checkout results out and then they get dropped. It would be nice to be able to announce last round. Of course that would still be terribly limited by comparison of what the controls could and should offer.

Please tell us DNF DS standalone executables and binaries (for Linux) are coming!?

Robsoles - LOL at your first parenthetical - I don't have updates yet on any changes/patches/fixes/etc. but when I do, you guys will be the first to know.

The console was taken away "to prevent cheaters", yet cheating has become common.

The whole dedicated server thing has become a big joke.

Forgive me for saying this, but when you now ask us to open our wallets for DLC (because that's priority), there will be some anger.

Quote Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
    The console was taken away "to prevent cheaters", yet cheating has become common.

The whole dedicated server thing has become a big joke.

Forgive me for saying this, but when you now ask us to open our wallets for DLC (because that's priority), there will be some anger.
    As an experiment I enabled the SOS console and had a play with it. I joined a multiplayer match and when you attempt to open the console it instead just opens the chatbox. The console is disabled in MP even when it's enabled in SP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast