Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One of the worst game i have ever played...

I don't think the game is so bad. I mean it's not the greatest game ever, but it's certainly not bad.
    The story is nice, the mission's are pretty fun and the graphic's are nice so, why complain about it?
    I enjoy playin' this game and i've just dowloaded the ''Greaser pack'' and i'm happy with it. i like car's.
    And i like 50's cars, so this was a great game for me. Maybe you should stop playing mafia/gangster or even stop playing games at all, 'couse you obviously don't know how thing's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry-Tomasino View Post
    I don't think the game is so bad. I mean it's not the greatest game ever, but it's certainly not bad.
    The story is nice, the mission's are pretty fun and the graphic's are nice so, why complain about it?
    I enjoy playin' this game and i've just dowloaded the ''Greaser pack'' and i'm happy with it. i like car's.
    And i like 50's cars, so this was a great game for me. Maybe you should stop playing mafia/gangster or even stop playing games at all, 'couse you obviously don't know how thing's work.
    In any forum websites, criticism is fine if done in a constructive and polite way expect if using bully-boy tactics and trolling would only lead to recieving an infraction and getting banned on top of it. The structures of the game was okay (some of the gameplay wasn't that bad), the story was great nonetheless, even with the nice break from the main story which were the DLCs. I love the characters, the story, the soundtrack musics, the health, driving. Most things in the game were well done, Mafia II could have been so much better to which that's what only matters to me.

I think it would be a great ideea to use Mafia story with Mafia II graphics, or maybe just the city of lost heaven. Just imagine you standing there at salieri's bar maybe waiting for a new car :X

This game is that crap it should be free on a games website...

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy10 View Post
    This game is that crap it should be free on a games website...
    I think I can see your age already, along with your IQ. If you're here for trolling then it's the wrong place, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by geo2142 View Post
    I think it would be a great ideea to use Mafia story with Mafia II graphics, or maybe just the city of lost heaven. Just imagine you standing there at salieri's bar maybe waiting for a new car :X
    My idea:
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...ake-Mafia-1-HD!
    Shame the thread got locked.

Yes it could have been much better. No freeride, short story but good, etc...
    The soundtrack was great, graphics good, characters were awsome and gameplay was good.

Excuse me but did you mean that i were using " Bully-boy tactics"?

Excuse me but did you mean that i were using " Bully-boy tactics"?
    That wasn't aimed at you specially, I meant no offence to you. I was merely pointing out that criticism is fine if done in a mature manner but trolling won't make anything better. I said this and I was only referring to those who badly bash over the game and bring it down pointlessly, not you. Sorry that you misunderstood me, I should have been clear next time.

Yes it could have been much better. No freeride, short story but good, etc...
    The soundtrack was great, graphics good, characters were awsome and gameplay was good.
    I think most games would kill to have a good story, great soundtrack, good graphics, awesome characters and good gameplay. Sheesh...impossible standards much?

the main problem is that Mafia 2 followed a game a lot of people consider pretty much perfect (for its time) expectations were high & it was always going to be a hard act to follow, esp for me, Mafia will always be a masterpiece.

they still did a very good job though.

I agree. Sence the first mafia game was really good, and it took them nearly 8 years to bring the game to the players- ppl expected the game to be really, really good, and i mean really, really good. It was to be the greatest game sence the first mafia.
    If they could have bringed the game to the market a bit earlier, then the players would PROPOBLY like the more.

And the first mafia game, will still have place in many players heart.

It took only two years to create Mafia 1, and I was really surprised that the whole uncompressed game weights about 3GB! It's a big game, one of the best games of all time with no doubt.

Oh I agree too. I give Mafia 1 an A- and Mafia 2 a B+ and even though I am a strategy gamer, Mafia 1 has been my very favorite action game of all time. I do, however, think the package of Mafia 2 and JA was better than Mafia 1 and FRE, even both packages were great overall.

Not comparing to Mafia 1, I think the review that Mafia 2 had "a good story, great soundtrack, good graphics, awesome characters and good gameplay" would put it among the finest games released today (which is probably not saying a whole lot considering the quality of many action-related games today).

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Oh I agree too. I give Mafia 1 an A- and Mafia 2 a B+ and even though I am a strategy gamer, Mafia 1 has been my very favorite action game of all time. I do, however, think the package of Mafia 2 and JA was better than Mafia 1 and FRE, even both packages were great overall.

Not comparing to Mafia 1, I think the review that Mafia 2 had "a good story, great soundtrack, good graphics, awesome characters and good gameplay" would put it among the finest games released today (which is probably not saying a whole lot considering the quality of many action-related games today).
    The story of Vito Scaletta's Mafia II was great to me, well unexplained, the meaning and irony was so well done, regardless of all of it's flaws. As for Joe's Adventures (which is also part of Mafia II..) is good because of it's free roaming and it's story (missions are The Witness, Connection, Supermarket, and Cathouse, I also consider Saving Marty and Piece of Cake a part of the story-based mission/cut scene) regardless of it's flaws and it's arcadey design.

Mafia II was a masterpiece to me, regardless of it's flaws. I love the characters and story, I connected and related to them alot more than I did in L.A. Noire to which it lacks depth for me despite being amazing, however I still prefer Mafia II like others do. It's sad that it started out to be sandbox first then story-driven and I also find it funny of how many Mafia I fans claim that it feels like a GTA clone when the Mafia II started out sandbox first.

I don't get why you guys are nagging about the game. Be thankful it isn't worse. But on my behalf I think the game was pretty good as it was my first sandbox game. My favorite things to do are killing random civi's, running over people, shooting everything in sight, causing mass panic, and getting in gunfights with the "local" black gang "The Bombers". I guess my sadistic side just comes out in games where you can do all that. If I'm not the only that does and thinks sadisticly when playing please speak or forever hold your "piece".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bruski View Post
    I don't get why you guys are nagging about the game. Be thankful it isn't worse. But on my behalf I think the game was pretty good as it was my first sandbox game. My favorite things to do are killing random civi's, running over people, shooting everything in sight, causing mass panic, and getting in gunfights with the "local" black gang "The Bombers". I guess my sadistic side just comes out in games where you can do all that. If I'm not the only that does and thinks sadisticly when playing please speak or forever hold your "piece".
    Glad you enjoy it. I would label this thread as a discussion on "what made the original a great game" vs "what makes a sandbox game great" like the things you describe. The original MAFIA was much more linear and while still in a sandbox free world (go where ever you want etc) there wasn't much to do except going along with the main story and optional side quests. There was however another game mode called "Free Ride" and "Free Ride Extreme" where you could take on quests that could be a bit wacky, unrealistic and fun but it was in complete contrast with what the story mode was all about. It is clearly a classic and it got great reviews when it came out.

MAFIA II went with implementing more "free world" attributes into the actual story mode, instead of having a free roam option, like clothing and gun stores and diners and so forth. The biggest "upset" amongst the fan base was however the discussion about "cut content" which I won't bring up here once again, but it certainly didn't sit right with a lot of the fanbase and it cast a shadow on the game itself, which is a real shame. It was later talked about and revealed that there was seemingly alot of "missing" things and that these were a bi-product of a very lengthy and troubled development process.

In short, this is a game series just as much as the next one. You either love it or hate it. It could be more complicated than that though. There might be certain aspects you like and some not as much. Often people tend to focus on things that are negative and bring them into the light of others, instead of talking about the positives. I am hopeful that they will make a MAFIA III and if they don't, it's our loss really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    I have just finished Mafia II and i am truely shocked by the fact that this game was one of the worst games i have ever played! The gameplay is just so unbalanced! The storyline and the missions are too linear and i found myself loosing interest time after time. Sure, The game looks great visually and the city is a fantastic backdrop storywise but it´s just eye candy and there´s no real interaction. The game is just one long and boring machinima...
    Let me guess, your a GTA fanboy.

Sounds more like a troll...

Thumbs down

In my opinion Mafia 2 was a major disappointment. The lack of things to do outside of missions was a big FAIL for me, and i soon lost interest in the game as a whole. The last time i posted on this site was just before the release of mafia 2. In the post i voiced my concerns about the possible lack of sandbox options. The post was followed by a number of posts that attempted to explain how the game would not need sandbox options as the storyline would be so good that it would nullify any need for game extras. Sadly, (in my opinion), this was not the case .

Quote Originally Posted by origamer View Post
    In my opinion Mafia 2 was a major disappointment. The lack of things to do outside of missions was a big FAIL for me, and i soon lost interest in the game as a whole. The last time i posted on this site was just before the release of mafia 2. In the post i voiced my concerns about the possible lack of sandbox options. The post was followed by a number of posts that attempted to explain how the game would not need sandbox options as the storyline would be so good that it would nullify any need for game extras. Sadly, (in my opinion), this was not the case .
    *Sigh*... Can you guys STOP wanting Mafia II to be as sandbox as GTA? This isn't a sandbox game, dammit. This is a STORY and ACTION game.
    Seriously, this generation of gamers need to look a decade or two back...

I don't see why anyone really cares about how there isn't much to do outside of missions, the point of any game is to tell a story, not to run around and be a tard in an open world, and anyway, I can honestly say that I prefer to free roam in Mafia 2 more than I did in any of the games in the Saints Row or GTA series. Almost no game has anything really worth doing outside of missions (apart from collectables), people need to accept that. This game has great gameplay and story, and thats all that should matter.

Quote Originally Posted by VirgilHilts View Post
    It took only two years to create Mafia 1, and I was really surprised that the whole uncompressed game weights about 3GB! It's a big game, one of the best games of all time with no doubt.
    The game was first announced in 2001.

The game itself was in production I believe or conceived before
    this and finally released in August 2002. So let's say 1997/98
    to 2002 that is approximately 5 years up to the release, but it
    is possible that it had beginnings before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    The game was first announced in 2001.

The game itself was in production I believe or conceived before
    this and finally released in August 2002. So let's say 1997/98
    to 2002 that is approximately 5 years up to the release, but it
    is possible that it had beginnings before this.
    1997/98 to 2002? That's just a guess. I definitely think it was under development back in 2000, then was announced a year later, and IS showed the BETA version. The final version really differs from the BETA a lot and in the good way, because I saw a few clips from the BETA and it looked a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by VirgilHilts View Post
    1997/98 to 2002? That's just a guess. I definitely think it was under development back in 2000, then was announced a year later, and IS showed the BETA version. The final version really differs from the BETA a lot and in the good way, because I saw a few clips from the BETA and it looked a lot worse.
    I found the proof I needed and development started late 1998-1999, so that is more than 2 years.
    Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven - preview
    7th from November 2001 12:00

Worldwide, there are few titles whose release is expected impatiently than the Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven Illusion Softworks of Brno. We had a chance to spend several hours at alphas of this title and joy we prohlásti that just do not expect for nothing. Mafia is a really good reward for our patience.

Although it now seems so long ago already, Illusion Softworks, the company began work on his action game Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven in late 1998 and 1999. At that time, however, still bore the working title Gangster and the project was presented more like a car chase in the style of Driver . The release was scheduled for autumn 2000. But time passed, the date of issue is constantly postponed and the game changed. From the beginning, although it was clear that the comparison with driver is really just a guide ( Mafia already in its early promise of many more possibilities), but we now have a chance for yourself to try the current alphas of this title, we were literally shocked.

Zdroj: http://bonusweb.idnes.cz/mafia-the-c...1106_mafiap_bw

IS never did anything quickly but they did always use their own tech instead of 3rd party engines, set up their own mocap studio etc. they wern't afraid to make massive changes either, happened with Mafia and H&D2 and yes both we're in development for 5 years.

Regarding Mafia I development, the very first game concept according to Daniel Vavra is dated 4th Jan, 1998. Codename of the project was "Mafiani" (Mafians). The following text is a translated version of the first idea about the game. the text is taken from http://www.modrak.cz/index.php?lang=...=clanek&id=690, which was written in 2008 with materials provided by Daniel Vavra with permission of 2KC.
    1. Old guy enters the bar, probably with his son, sits down, orders a drink and starts telling story of his life to the son. Through the whole game there will be cuts back to this guy telling the story. In the end the guy concludes his story by claiming he is now the mightiest in the city, in which moment somebody kicks bar door, advances inside and riddles him to pieces with Thompson.

2. There will be a scene of a (home) street at the beginning of each mission. Each time the street will be a bit different, there will be newer cars etc.

3. Ingame, the player will have a freedom to go anywhere. There will be pubs, museums, everything. Alternatively the radius player's freedom will be limited at the beginning only to the area controlled by his gang. The full freedom then comes in later episodes.

4. The car can transport player almost everywhere, good driving model is a must.

5. Each mission will be corresponding to the guy's story about his "way to the top", from petty thief up to the big boss. Each episode will consist of a few missions. Player alnoe is left to find who can give him these missions. Early in the game it will all be about car thefts, later the player can work in a team, similar to Hidden & Dangerous.

6. Player alone has to gather items, people, cars and other required stuff. Places for trade and recruitment will be scattered throughout the city, in pubs, bars and with illegal dealers. No all-in-one static trading screen.

7. Player cannot carry excessive amount of weapons.

8. Various NPCs (weapon dealers, hitmen, prostitutes etc) will be placed all around the city. Player will be able to interact with these NPCs and to get some quest from them.

9. Player character has to visit the doctor in case it is hurt.

10. Player will have to buy expensive clothing in order to impress.

Also a word about Mafia II in order to stay at least a bit on topic:
    In Mafia II, I have managed to modify in a weapon limit and a hit reaction system for the player character.
    • weapon limit - player is limited to carry only one handgun and a one rifle at max. If the player tries to pick up another rifle/handgun, then the corresponding gun is replaced in the inventory. Grenades/molotovs are taken as a separate items and can be carried along with guns.

• hit reaction - when hit, player character plays one universal hit reaction which demporarily slows down the player and disrupts reloading and aiming. Also when player character is below one quarter of health and is shot, he drops held weapon because of pain, clinches the hip and can only limp around for a while. Player is very vulnerable in this state, it is a good idea to hide somewhere if this happens!

Results of these changes are quite impressive, trust me. No more "rushing the enemy", unless the player wants to severely gamble with death.

Not seen that before, very interesting to read how Mafia 1 was going to be more sandbox, sounds very different to the final product, so glad they ditched that

Your new mod sounds great, Are you planning to release it?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    I found the proof I needed and development started late 1998-1999, so that is more than 2 years.
    Well, not bad for a guess, but it's less years than you expected I'll keep this in mind. Looks like IS spent much less time on M1 than on M2 and created a true, long piece of art.

It might have taken a lot longer but you have to take the complicated development history into account, although mafia used an in house engine as well (LS3D) it didnt suffer from the same sort of delays, can't find the thread andrashi posted which explains it all, worth a read if you haven't already....

The one thread to rule them all: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...ng-for-Relight

Fugue, currently it is all just a proof-of-concept stage, working only in a decompiled Freeride. I mentioned it as a reaction to OP's rant, to show how much unused potential Mafia II has. Just a few tweaks here, some LUA code there and suddenly the game turns really into "realistic, dark and unforgiving piece".

Funny thing is: with this mod, some sort of slow health regeneration is a MUST, otherwise the player would die pretty quickly. So in the end autoheal is not that bad, just the game has to provide realistic enough settings in order to justify autoheal as a required counterbalance to overy unforgiving realism.

Fugue, currently it is all just a proof-of-concept stage, working only in a decompiled Freeride. I mentioned it as a reaction to OP's rant, to show how much unused potential Mafia II has. Just a few tweaks here, some LUA code there and suddenly the game turns really into "realistic, dark and unforgiving piece".
    ok thanks, sounds brilliant, keep up the good work

Alright, time to hijack the thread once again ^_^

Mobster (creator of the thread) wrote something about "unbalanced gameplay". Let's hope THIS MATERIAL proves that at least on gunplay side of things, given the right touch Mafia II can provide quite genuine experience. Imagine "Room Service" mission with less enemies present and this mod active.

Please please please please release that

Quote Originally Posted by Themc13 View Post
    I don't see why anyone really cares about how there isn't much to do outside of missions, the point of any game is to tell a story, not to run around and be a tard in an open world, and anyway, I can honestly say that I prefer to free roam in Mafia 2 more than I did in any of the games in the Saints Row or GTA series. Almost no game has anything really worth doing outside of missions (apart from collectables), people need to accept that. This game has great gameplay and story, and thats all that should matter.
    Because a game is called a game. If I want a story I read a book. If I want a motion picture, I go to the movies. We have technologies to create fantastic interactive worlds and make the greatest open world games ever, but most of the companies are in for the old "tell a story and let the player follow" hat. Games that did this in the 80s (like Dragon's Lair) got mediocre reviews, and now this is considered great? yuck! THIS is not the future of computergaming I was expecting decades ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Jauly View Post
    Because a game is called a game. If I want a story I read a book. If I want a motion picture, I go to the movies. We have technologies to create fantastic interactive worlds and make the greatest open world games ever, but most of the companies are in for the old "tell a story and let the player follow" hat. Games that did this in the 80s (like Dragon's Lair) got mediocre reviews, and now this is considered great? yuck! THIS is not the future of computergaming I was expecting decades ago!
    That is linear thinking, there is varied types of games for many different types of gamers. I can appreciate a fantastic story told though a game (Heavy Rain) just as much as I can spend hours in an open ended world (RDR). To put a stance and say that is not the way games should be is to miss out on some amazing experiences.

I feel this is true just as much today as it was in the 80s.

Of course I see no reason why this thread was revived to begin with, just to continue the debate. Since the OP came here to make one post to state is displeasure and then vanished.

Games with great stories & characters are what stay with me, not collecting 100 objects or carrying out meaningless repetitive tasks in the name of perceived value for money

Real sandbox games are always story light and probably always will be, at least L A Noire, Mafia and Heavy Rain proves there is a fairly healthy market for story driven games, I enjoy sandbox like most but there must be room for games that focus on narrative and not just creating a huge interactive playground.
    Last edited by Fugue; 05-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jauly View Post
    I don't think you got half of what I said, and there is basically no games that go outside the "tell a story and let the player follow the hat" as you put it, every game has the basic story line, then insignificant changes can be made which will cause no difference in the long run, every game meets that, and if you can't really accept that then I can't see that you would play games much at all.
    Last edited by Themc13; 05-13-2012 at 06:21 AM.

I think Mafia II is quite a good game, it was perhaps a little bit disappointing at first but now as I have the game at a distance and also having read Andrashi's post back when it was first posted I am more forgiving towards the game.

Sure there are some faults, like I would have a bigger city, the size of the map was and for me is a bit controversial since we had official information that supposedly was confirmed that it was going to be bigger.

Actually I just finished the main story for GTA IV today and fired up Mafia II right afterwards, oh boy what a difference in size of the maps, it makes Empire Bay feel even more claustrophobic for me now then before. However I will give Mafia II one thing though, and that is what a gorgeous looking game it is it literally drips atmosphere so beautiful.

I really hope that we will see a Mafia III with an optimized engine.

Mafia 2 was absolutely fantastic, loved it to bits.
    Just tried GTA4 as well and was severely disappointed.
    Taking some woman on dates, driving people around a bit, shoot a bit, drive like mad without much consequences, and most of all; everything looks so ugly.

Sure, there is some stuff about Mafia 2 I didn't like, but much of that was solved with Joe's adventure.

Maybe it helps that I have not been jumping up and down on my chair waiting to buy this game the second it came out, but just bought it a few days ago out of curiosity, not eager excitement.

Anyway, my full review can be found in another topic.

missjo, you have articulated something that I have brought up several times - expectations. I, for one, did not and would not pay attention to pre-release hype and I think it's silly to base one's expectations on what someone else wants you to hear. Even though I was a big fan of Mafia 1 and esp. Free Ride Extreme, I wasn't going to play Mafia 2 when it was released (apart from Civ5 and life's circumstances getting in the way). So I waited until Christmas to get the game (which made JA available too) and had a blast because I just enjoyed the game for what it was, not what others think it should've been.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast