Thread: Can someone explain range to me?

Can someone explain range to me?

My first thread here and my first civ game

My question is this,

how on earth does range work in civ 5?

Whether its a catapult or an archer, their attack range seems totally random. I read somewhere that it is affected by the terrain ie, hills or forest. But even under those circumstances, I find my firing range totally random. In many cases, I have to get right up next to the enemy with my archer or catapult to be in firing range, which just isn't strategically ideal.

Can someone like totally school me on how it works. Sorry Im new to this game.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to a post in a civfanatics thread where I laid this all out several months ago for another guy with a similar question.

Also, read 3 posts down where a slightly more detailed question is asked and answered regarding situations where multiple hexes could potentially provide line of sight to another hex. I had to correct a fellow who thought he was agreeing with me, and then correct another fellow who thought I was wrong in my explanation(s).

In any case, it works as I explained in that thread. If you read through it and try it in game, you will that such is the case. Exceptions come once you get the Indirect Fire promotion. At that point, terrain obstacles are no longer an issue, only your ability to 'see' the target without it being shaded in fog of war.

Additionally, here's a video I made for him in a later post in the thread. Hope that helps.

Some quotes from the thread:
    KEY = Terrain for your ballista -- Intervening terrain -- City

Flat terrain -- Forest -- City = no line of sight, can't shoot.
    Flat terrain -- Hill -- City = no line of sight, can't shoot.
    Hill -- Forested Hill -- City = no line of sight, can't shoot
    Forest -- Hill -- City = no line of sight, can't shoot.
    Forest -- Forest -- City = no line of sight, can't shoot.

Hill -- Forest -- City = good line of sight, can shoot.
    Hill -- Hill -- City = good line of sight, can shoot
    Any terrain -- Flat terrain -- City = good line of sight, can shoot.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    ..A
    B...C
    ..D....E

'A' could bombard 'D'
    IF
    either 'B' or 'C' isn't blocking your line of sight. Both of these tiles can provide line of sight to 'D' from 'A', so only one of those tiles is necessary to obtain it.

'A' could not bombard 'E'
    IF
    'C' is blocking the line of sight. This is because 'C' is the only tile that can provide line of sight to 'E' from 'A'.

Just to extend it a little, utilize the 3 turn / end turn properties of marsh and river tiles as places where you would stage ranged attacks.

Thanks for taking the time for all that!

I'll definitely look over it