Thread: Civ 5 freezes, crashes, even on DirectX 9

Exclamation Civ 5 freezes, crashes, even on DirectX 9

I've been having this problem for about a month.

The game used to run perfectly on DirectX11, lagging a little bit on larger maps, but I could still finish long, big games. Recently, it would freeze after a few turns on smaller maps. So I started running DirectX 9, thinking that less intensity would help tremendously.

It doesn't.

Even when I play on small maps (duel, tiny) I still get severe lagging. Even worse, when a leader screen pops up, sometimes it has a green tint to it. Soon after the picture will fritz out and go black, freezing my computer.

I've updated all the drivers. I've done defrags of the hard drive and registry. I've ran diagnostics. I even got back there and got the lion's share of dust from the vents and fans. No viruses, no bugs, no missed updates. Everything is in ship shape and Bristol fashion. To no avail, the game still crashes.

On PC, this is my favorite game and time-tested stress release. I can't even sit down for half an hour to play without the entire PC freezing. Now I'm starting to worry if I'm slowly killing my video card.

Here be my system specs--
    Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.2 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    Windows 7 (64x), Service Pack 1
    Video: nVidia GeForce GT 220

I just want to play my favorite game. Please help!!

The symptoms you describe, is a video card, that has been destroyed by heat.

If this is indeed the case, no amount of maintenance will undo the damage already done.

Can you try running the DX11 Heaven benchmark by Unigine, and see if the video card dies during that as well?

I just installed and ran the Unigine DirectX 11 Heaven benchmark and it froze midway through the process, just like with Civ 5.

I think you're right about the video card. My biggest problem is that I don't want to make an investment in a new balls-to-the-wall card and extra fans if it's possible that Civ 5 is going to destroy it in the long run.

Do you think this will be solved with more vigilant future maintenance and more badass hardware, or is it a lost cause? What should I do to make sure my next card can handle Civ 5 (as well as Sims 3 [gf's favorite PC game])?

This is seriously disappointing. Makes me want to go back to being a strict Nintendoid.

No, failures happen, and console gamers deal with it too (RROD) you just gotta deal with it when it does sadly

Quote Originally Posted by gyurnec View Post
    Do you think this will be solved with more vigilant future maintenance and more badass hardware, or is it a lost cause? What should I do to make sure my next card can handle Civ 5 (as well as Sims 3 [gf's favorite PC game])?
    To be honest, I think some of this us just timing. We just came out of a cycle of extremely hot-running video cards (and only a little before that: hot-running CPUs). The nVidia 8000 series and its cousin the 200 series were part of the end of this cycle and were known to run hot enough to damage themselves. When put in PCs with low airflow (or restricted flow, sometimes by dust), the cards ability to cook themselves exceeded their fans ability to cool them. This is why so many gaming PCs used aftermarket coolers for video cards.

The easiest fix for this, then, is to not buy a card in that generation. Both AMD and nVidia have cards in the latest generation for a range of budgets. You don't need the biggest and the best. Quite the contrary, if you're worried about heat, you can aim low, knowing that neither Civ V nor Sims 3 requires the massive abilities of the upper end cards in the current generation.

You should do just fine with the 6850 ($150) or 6950 ($230) from AMD, or the 550 Ti ($140) or 560 Ti ($235) from nVidia. None of these are powerhouse cards, but they are more than capable for what you're playing. They're also known for needing less power and thus, producing less heat (and being quieter because of it). If that's still a bit high, there are some options at the $100 level that still work (the AMD 5770/6770 --same card-- seems to do well). Ironically, dropping any lower puts you into older cards which may run hotter and give you less performance at the same time.

The other half of this issue is to get an idea what the inside of your case is like. There are plenty of free temperature monitor that will give you your CPU and ambient (motherboard, more ore less) temperature. If the whole system is hot, then you may want to look into that. I suspect however, that its fine. Say what you want about Dell, but they usually have decent thermal setups. You probably just pushed your card too hard and got unlucky with the silicon in your GPU.