Thread: RPS: The New XCOM: 24 Things We Want

RPS: The New XCOM: 24 Things We Want

Article by Alec Meer.

I personally agree with everything except 16 and 21, and I doubly agree with 20 and 22.

Beat me to it, I just finished reading this article.

I actually think that 16 and 21 would be cool - as long as they were not mandatory. I remember going into "possession" mode in Dungeon Keeper and running around my base. It didn't do much but it was fun. The Frozen Synapse playback would be great too, I'd love to watch battles played back and see how what took me thirty minutes to do was actually a 45 second battle.

I think everything added would be great except I'm not for 14. Maybe in the campaign mode and have a seperate "sandbox" mode for the people who want to play indefinite games.

On the semi-realtime: I thought Valkyria Chronicles did it perfectly.

Well I wouldn't mind 16 if it was optional, I just don't want it to be a mandatory part of the interaction - it was one of the many, many things which ticked me off about Marin's effort :P.

21 I just don't think would actually be worth trying to program, at least so that it looked seamlessly realtime, without making the game simultaneous-turn-based to begin with, which I dunno if I'd be on board with - I like the immediacy of click-and-it-happens individualised movement and actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Well I wouldn't mind 16 if it was optional, I just don't want it to be a mandatory part of the interaction - it was one of the many, many things which ticked me off about Marin's effort :P.

21 I just don't think would actually be worth trying to program, at least so that it looked seamlessly realtime, without making the game simultaneous-turn-based to begin with, which I dunno if I'd be on board with - I like the immediacy of click-and-it-happens individualised movement and actions.
    I dunno. I think 21 could be doable. Just have the game auto-record each movement phase, then use an algorithm to paste it together.

Well it's easy to say that ... :P. You could probably do it, but it would most likely still look heavily turn-based, with the exception of enemy opportunity fire.

I know this thread was started first, but let's use this thread for all wishlist comments, just to keep things simpler for 2K to read. Thanks.