Thread: X-com, still the best game ever made. Please do it right!!!

X-com, still the best game ever made. Please do it right!!!

There is a reason I still have my original copy in the box with all documentation, that's because the original is still the best game ever made. Period! I have played it on every computer I have ever owned since it came out and I still play it sometimes even now. I am saying all this because of all the games I have ever wanted a sequel to this is number one by a wide margin (Jagged alliance and betrayal at krondor are the others). Please do it right. I would ask that you please have some sort of beta so that real X-com fans can be a part of keeping this true to the original. Games like X-com are beloved for so long because they were transcendent experiences that people never forget, please keep this true to what we want (not like JA-BIA real time crap).

I agree, please PLEASE don't deviate away from the original too much. Try to keep is as close to the original as possible but with beautiful graphics, and a nice big pretty globe to place your bases, etc..

I would definitely like to see some multiplayer and co-op functionality, and some VERY scary music because that is important. I loved the creepy music and then out of nowhere BLAM alien laser followed with a scream of death from one of my beloved soldiers.

I played the heck out of UFO defense and Terror from the deep. I re-purchased them on Steam as well.

Base - singular. There's only going to be one main base, maybe satellite 'sub' bases, I'm not sure. We're also not sure whether we can choose the base's location, but I'm expecting we will be able to. If it's plonked down in the middle of the US without the option to relocate it, that's going to annoy a lot of people.

Graphics, yep they look good. Forget about the first screenshot that was released, I'm sure that didn't have lighting etc done properly - the latter shots are much better. Music - there's a link somewhere on the forum to some samples of the new music. You will love it mate, it's like the original but updated. It still gives you the shivers, trust me. Back in the day, computers couldn't do 'proper' music obviously - but now they can. What we have heard so far is in my opinion the old music done with modern tech.

D'oh. It was within the music thread on the very first page of the forum.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...y-unknown.aspx

i think that those wanting a faithfull successor to xcom should rather turn to xenonauts. xcom will be streamlined for console and wider audiences, this doesn't mean a bad game, but it surely mean a different feel than the original.

i think the potential expectations from this game are described pretty accurately by the creator of xenonauts:
    http://www.xenonauts.com/january-upd...-x-com-remake/

Well, they've got the music spot on - that was a very large part of the original's feel. Personally, I don't see how the game is going to play all that differently - a much faster pace will not suit the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruelgor View Post
    I agree, please PLEASE don't deviate away from the original too much. Try to keep is as close to the original as possible but with beautiful graphics, and a nice big pretty globe to place your bases, etc..

I would definitely like to see some multiplayer and co-op functionality, and some VERY scary music because that is important. I loved the creepy music and then out of nowhere BLAM alien laser followed with a scream of death from one of my beloved soldiers.

I played the heck out of UFO defense and Terror from the deep. I re-purchased them on Steam as well.
    I don't mind if they deviate from the original, just not in the key areas that made it good: interesting turn-based tactics, fun strategic gameplay, spooky atmosphere, and the feeling of simply not knowing what those creepy aliens were going to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by toasteur View Post
    i think that those wanting a faithfull successor to xcom should rather turn to xenonauts. xcom will be streamlined for console and wider audiences, this doesn't mean a bad game, but it surely mean a different feel than the original.

i think the potential expectations from this game are described pretty accurately by the creator of xenonauts:
    http://www.xenonauts.com/january-upd...-x-com-remake/
    Even if you don't care about being mechanically faithful to the original, you should buy Xenonauts. It'll be a great addition to the genre, and it's an excellent indie product that tried to meet our market before we knew we'd be getting XCOM:EU. I've been pre-ordered for months.

I dont understand all the dumbing down going on. I played the original xcom today on a virtual machine and the graphics may look like crap but holy crap it is fun. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I think the fans would rather a more updated graphical system over all new tactical fighting and crap.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmiller View Post
    I dont understand all the dumbing down going on. I played the original xcom today on a virtual machine and the graphics may look like crap but holy crap it is fun. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I think the fans would rather a more updated graphical system over all new tactical fighting and crap.
    The original is a good game, but it takes unnessecarily long to play by modern game design standards, and is very inaccessible for new players. XCOM:EU is looking to be designed in a way that will grow the appeal of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by 54x View Post
    The original is a good game, but it takes unnessecarily long to play by modern game design standards, and is very inaccessible for new players. XCOM:EU is looking to be designed in a way that will grow the appeal of the genre.
    like what was done from civ 4 to civ 5.

for me, as it was designed, civ 5 is enjoyable to play BUT, what i liked in civ was playing marathon, on huge maps. in this sort of setting, it quickly feels dull, and after like middle age period, you spend more time to wait calculations for next turn than playing in a turn. "next turn"............ok, nothing to do, "Next turn".....etc

when you play a quick game on small or medium game, it's enjoyable, but like "quick game, play and forget" style. it's nice as a casual game, not so much for long and slow developpement sessions.

so i'm afraid it will be another remake turned to a casual game for wider audience version. in this case, i hope it will be marketed appropriatly, like a smartphone game, for 5 dollars.

A game being more accessible to new players does not necessarily make it any less fun for hardcore fans- especially as doing so often streamlines out the fiddly, annoying bits in favour of more interesting decisions. (Assuming it's done right, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by toasteur View Post

so i'm afraid it will be another remake turned to a casual game for wider audience version. in this case, i hope it will be marketed appropriatly, like a smartphone game, for 5 dollars.
    5 dollars? Don't be ridiculous. That wouldn't be 'marketed appropriately' at all - the old game is worth more than that.