Thread: Julian Gollop on the new X-Com

I was wondering when we'd hear from him. Some interesting ideas there, especially regarding the level of detail he'd like in the procedural generation of things - sounds like he'd like to try for randomised insides and/or outsides for UFOs, for one thing. Also, seems he approves of the perks.

Very interesting article. I'll have to try that game the interviewer referred to, Terror Under The Deep. I've never heard of it before.

Interesting thoughts about the camera system. In 3d games I've played with a rotatable camera, I usually leave it fixed unless I have to change it because something gets lost behind the terrain. The minimap in XCOM:EU has an arrow on it which could mean North (top of map). But it looks from some screenshots that layers of the terrain will become invisible (building with invisible roof, and trees with no top branches) and soldiers shown as outlines behind cover. Usually, early screenshots show pretty pictures of the action and not necessarily the view that the player will see most often.

Good article, with a couple of phrases that looked like they were translated slightly wrong or something- but really interesting stuff, and I think I agree with almost all of it.

The turn based Ghost Recon game was his? No wonder it was so damn good. He has the right ideas when it comes to designing turn based games in there. I have to wonder if Firaxis have that idea as well, reduce the squad size but make the maps smaller - so while you have smaller squads there are still mostly important actions every turn to do. I wouldn't mind that so much actually over doing the whole "Hunt for that lone sectoid hiding in a closet". Especially if it means those diabolical two part missions aren't coming back.

His comments about the FPS game and the emergence of this turn based game were very.. cutting to say the least. I will say that the man has the best taste in games I've seen in a long while. His affection for the sorely underrated Valkyria Chronicles speaks for itself. I wish someone with a more western RPG approach over the very Japanese Anime design/feel would have a go at a Valkyria Chronicles like game. It was a genuine underrated gem of a game.

Now I think of it, many of the things he says turn based games should do were done in VC. Most turns you were doing something important, maps were generally small or had some twist to them to make each turn intriging (like artillery fire, spotlights that could see you moving, dust storms, rampaging enemy war machines and so forth). Plus I enjoyed the combination of an AP like system combined with manual third person aiming.

His point about Pokemon bought such a smile to my face. The number of times I've made that point only for it to fall on deaf ears has been too many.

So this:

is actually what the base will look like in game? I hate it! It looks so ugly and confusing - like a concept art screenshot, one of those early shots that has random images scattered all over the place.

Valkyria Chronicles, now that also is a series that's rather under-appreciated. :/ Those games have been my best PS3 and PSP experiences relatively. Truly innovating titles like that are too few in recent years unfortunately. I applaud Mr Gollop for giving that gem its due deserved praise.

He's also spot on about turn-based being susceptible to "too many boring turns", that's something that turns me off as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    So this:

is actually what the base will look like in game? I hate it! It looks so ugly and confusing - like a concept art screenshot, one of those early shots that has random images scattered all over the place.
    That's without any UI at the moment, something I would expect them to add.

I'd say Julian has some reservations about the new X-Com too. I'd still love to see what he would come up with for his own new version of X-Com.

Mr. Gollop is a genius and all round good egg. Pay heed to his musings 2k, the man doth noeth what he's talking about, given his xp and knowledge of the "source" material...........

I guess maybe it was just an unfortunate twist of fate he wasn't involved with this?
    Thanks for linking the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    Valkyria Chronicles, now that also is a series that's rather under-appreciated. :/ Those games have been my best PS3 and PSP experiences relatively. Truly innovating titles like that are too few in recent years unfortunately. I applaud Mr Gollop for giving that gem its due deserved praise.

He's also spot on about turn-based being susceptible to "too many boring turns", that's something that turns me off as well.
    Damn right it was! My only qualm is that the latest 2 are PSP only, so I can't play them =[ Damn you Sony!

I have a PSP and still can't play the third because they won't localize due to poor sales of second in US. Sega and their horrible management is to blame. :/

Damn them! Just release it on PS3 already! =p