Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 152

Thread: Anti Aliasing and FOV

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1

    The Darkness 2: FOV

    Hello.
    How to change field of view? Horrible, looks like a horse with a meal in the trough.
    This is console FOV, not PC. Please, help

  2. #2

    Anti Aliasing and FOV

    Hey,

    I'm really pleased with the PC version, because I played the first on 360 and was thinking of buying it on console, but the demo made me want to get the pc version

    but, in the full version with there be AA and an option to change FOV?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    the game is too scripted for my tastes. The action seems fun, but it is only like 15% of the entire demo. And also everytime I did something, it activated a scripted event where I had no control over what happened and not in the smart, "the Darkness has you" way they could have taken. Over all it's a real disappointment that I would have still bought just to experience, but the FOV make me sick while playing, so over all I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22
    "the game is too scripted for my tastes"

    Since when is YOUR taste the majority's taste?Action means different to different people..your meaning of action is borefest to me personally.

    I love it when almost 95% of any gaming community think their judgement is everyone's judgement.No wonder nobody pays you to review.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    What's the FoV atm? I can't play the demo due to it not being released in my country. I really hope they add FoV options, I get a headache when playing games with anything below 80.


    Quote Originally Posted by sp1ke View Post
    "the game is too scripted for my tastes"

    Since when is YOUR taste the majority's taste?Action means different to different people..your meaning of action is borefest to me personally.

    I love it when almost 95% of any gaming community think their judgement is everyone's judgement.No wonder nobody pays you to review.

    This is probably the most retarded statement I've read on this forum. That guy was stating his own opinion - as people have a tendency of doing on forums. At no point he said this was fact. He even said "for MY TASTE".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,566
    Guys, let's not snipe back at people for being rude. Report the post so that a moderator can deal with it.

    That said, attacking other people for their opinions is not allowed. You're free to express whatever opinion you want here - and yes, you can debate them in return, but don't act like that's license to be mean to someone who's opinion you disagree with.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14
    I agree with the FoV issue. I use a 360 pad so i was able to sit further away from a monitor, but it might be quite disorienting for people using Mouse + Keyboard.

    Digital Extremes usually makes great PC ports, so this is a huge oversight on their part.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    Registered here just to say that this game must have an option to change FOV, makes me naucious as it is right now. Please, FOV is one of the most important options for PC gamers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinblade105 View Post
    I agree with the FoV issue. I use a 360 pad so i was able to sit further away from a monitor, but it might be quite disorienting for people using Mouse + Keyboard.

    Digital Extremes usually makes great PC ports, so this is a huge oversight on their part.
    They are VETERAN pc developers, they don't make great ports they make great pc games lol. Even though I'm still worried for some reason. If someone involved with the game could confirm whether there is an FOV setting in the game would be great. Athough it may seem trivial to console gamers its a make or break for some of us PC dudes, loved the demo but definitly won't be getting it if the fov isn't adjustable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Resorbeo View Post
    Registered here just to say that this game must have an option to change FOV, makes me naucious as it is right now. Please, FOV is one of the most important options for PC gamers.
    haha same here just registered, for the same reason, i'll stick around for a conformation.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    It sucks, but the game is still quite good if you use my FOV fix. That is:

    1. Play the game in a window
    2. Make the resolution smaller than your native (My native is 1920x1080, so I played at 1600x900)

    This will fix your FOV problem. It gives the visual illusion you are sitting futher back from the screen. It just sucks to play it smaller than your native. I have just gotten used to doing this with my games.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22
    @nh866 or whatever your name is

    Stating his opinion?Not when he can add "I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone".

    Opinions should be kept to yourself,not recommending on what is good or bad to everyone.No,I am sure you have read even more retarded posts here in this forum,namely YOURS.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by sp1ke View Post
    @nh866 or whatever your name is

    Stating his opinion?Not when he can add "I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone".

    Opinions should be kept to yourself,not recommending on what is good or bad to everyone.No,I am sure you have read even more retarded posts here in this forum,namely YOURS.

    Dude, my recommendation is based on my opinion. I would tell my friends to skip the game if I personally don't like it and I would gladly tell people to try the demo out if the FOV was fixed because the story seems well told and executed, but for me the FOV was the deal breaker and hence I would personally not recommend the game to anyone I know. I can't go to a friend and tell him to try the demo because there is no redeeming qualities if he can't play the sodding thing.

    I don't like scripted moments in FPS games, if the FOV was at a reasonable level, I would pick up the final game and watch it for the story alone because the first game got me into The Darkness comic and my favorite thing is watching different takes on the characters I follow, but the FOV being so tight coupled with the scripted events, I would be pushing through the whole game and not enjoy it in the least. That is why I won't be recommending my friends to pick it up and I know they feel the same way about the games we play because they are my personal friends who I play the same type of games with.

    Do you get what I am saying, dude? I don't want you to be upset over something as trivial as this because it will get the thread locked. I am not upset, just trying to make you understand the point I was trying to make.


    edit 1/24/: I would like to add that I just read the game opens up in later levels and you should not judge the product by the demo (isn't that what they brainwash us to believe). I read so here, but I am still worried a bit about the scripting. The FOV can be fixed, so I might pick it up if that ever gets patched in.

    We DO need a patch that adds an FOV option ASAP though, which was the whole reason I commented in the first place
    Last edited by minelbp; 01-24-2012 at 09:47 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    I must agree, no FOV option also broke the game for me, I can't play it the way it is now, I get a headache in few minutes, why couldn't they think it through? I hope they confirm the FOV option being added, or it's a deal breaker for sure.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    You guys should read my post. It will fix any FOV in any game. Sure you take a hit for having to play it a bit smaller. the other option is to make the ratio 5:4.

    I know what everyone is going to say, "you shouldn't have to compromise and play in a small window when they are making the game for the PC as well. They should just pay attention and fix the FOV for the PC versions."

    I completely agree, but if a game is a good game, I would rather compromise. I once had a friend who played console games most of the time. Going way back he learned to play south paw on the Nintendo64 because it was easier than using those buttons to look around. Well, he taught himself to play south paw, but when systems came out with two analogs, most did not offer a south paw control configuration. So, instead of just reteaching himself to play orthodox. His stance was simply that he shouldn't have to change how he plays the game, they should just offer south paw controls. I agree with him, but it's nonsensical to not play some really good games just because the controls prove difficult. The funny part about him playing is that if a game was in third person, he could play orthodox easily. But as soon as it hit first person, BAM, his hands became retarded and he couldn't do it. So, try what I said, it's not bad at all and you can play any game with poor FOV that way.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    Well, I wouldn't. I want the game fixed, I am going to pay my money for it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Baresark View Post
    You guys should read my post. It will fix any FOV in any game. Sure you take a hit for having to play it a bit smaller. the other option is to make the ratio 5:4.
    So, I just played the demo (proxy ftw >.>) and tried your fix, but still got motion sick while playing.. any other suggestions? For reference, I have a 32" screen, which is about 50cm away from me.

    EDIT: Unless you meant I shouldn't maximize the window. Because if that's what you meant.. Sorry, not going to happen, if that's what I wanted I'd just buy the game for my console right away. I want to actually see what going on and have atleast a bit a immersion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baresark View Post
    [...]
    I think the analogy to your "friend" is cute (even if it hardly applies, because most people can't just get used to low FoV. You shouldn't try to cure the symptoms, you should cure the the cause.), but I played a ton of N64 when I was a kid and had no problems transitioning to PS2. It's no use to say that now, but why didn't he simply get an xbox? The controller is very similar to the N64 one and allows for the same control scheme.

    TL;DR: If you can't play it, don't buy it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by nh87 View Post
    So, I just played the demo (proxy ftw >.>) and tried your fix, but still got motion sick while playing.. any other suggestions? For reference, I have a 32" screen, which is about 50cm away from me.

    EDIT: Unless you meant I shouldn't maximize the window. Because if that's what you meant.. Sorry, not going to happen, if that's what I wanted I'd just buy the game for my console right away. I want to actually see what going on and have atleast a bit a immersion.



    I think the analogy to your "friend" is cute (even if it hardly applies, because most people can't just get used to low FoV. You shouldn't try to cure the symptoms, you should cure the the cause.), but I played a ton of N64 when I was a kid and had no problems transitioning to PS2. It's no use to say that now, but why didn't he simply get an xbox? The controller is very similar to the N64 one and allows for the same control scheme.

    TL;DR: If you can't play it, don't buy it.
    I literally did mean that you need to play in a window smaller than your native resolution. You don't have to do it. It was only a suggestion and it will get rid of your FOV problems. The issue with such a large monitor is you are going to be affected even worse by small FOV. For instance, if the game was made to fit into a 5:4 resolution and you had a standard screen width monitor (which no one really does these days), you wouldn't have the problem. The issue occurs because your full vision is not capable of being focused on all of such a large screen. It makes the screen feel very tight and crowded. Movement also feels very exaggerated because of it. Since the focused vision area of your eye lens is only about 60, you have all of this screen that is in your periphery. This is what leads to the motion sickness associated with small FOV.

    So, it stands to reason that if you play in a window that is smaller than your native resolution, your eyes take in all of the game with your focused vision. It also stands to reason that on your rather massive monitor, a FOV of 90-95 probably isn't even enough to prevent the FOV issue.

    Also, I'm not analogizing this situation with my friends situation, as you say. I am literally showing the difference between adapting and failing to adapt. That is all. It's more of an allegory than an analogy. So, in that sense, it applies. I know the world isn't going to change to meet my needs, so I change accordingly to meet my needs. I am glad you were easily able to adapt, but it's because you wanted to be able to play games. My point was that he didn't want to adapt. Instead he got a little mad when everyone was talking about games he refused to play.
    Last edited by Baresark; 01-29-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: I had forgot to address an issue with the post.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    19
    It'd be great of someone who got the game could confirm or deny whether the game has an FOV option.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    I bought the game on steam, no FOV option. I play on my 46" TV so I can't play for more than a few minutes without feeling dizzy.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, US
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by robotosis View Post
    I bought the game on steam, no FOV option. I play on my 46" TV so I can't play for more than a few minutes without feeling dizzy.
    Yep. No FoV options. Normally I can care less about that since I'm a sucker for eyecandy and not viewing angles, but the game just feels zoomed in the entire time...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Hey guys -

    The FOV is fixed for a reason - mainly due to the demon arms, which are over your shoulders. This FOV made sense given how they worked.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2
    Hey guys -

    The FOV is fixed for a reason - mainly due to the demon arms, which are over your shoulders. This FOV made sense given how they worked.
    Thats unfortunate, because myself like many others are getting sick because of the FOV. It's unbearable and makes my stomach churn. I understand Developers want to give us what they have in their mind, however, it shouldn't come at the customers comfortability. Until there is an option I can't play it, as I get sick instantly especially in the mansion scenes (which coincidentally are scenes without tentacles).

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, US
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by SykoParsley View Post
    Thats unfortunate, because myself like many others are getting sick because of the FOV. It's unbearable and makes my stomach churn. I understand Developers want to give us what they have in their mind, however, it shouldn't come at the customers comfortability. Until there is an option I can't play it, as I get sick instantly especially in the mansion scenes (which coincidentally are scenes without tentacles).
    Why values like these are locked in many games are beyond me. I've always believed in the way of advanced tweaking (aka using a console, etc.) to change variables. Through that the average person wouldn't screw up their game without the know-how and would be safe. With it, those who want to change these values, even if it means half an image appearing like adjusting the FoV too far, I believe is up to the user. Some people would have no problem with that and others would so they wouldn't touch it.

    Then again that's just me.
    Last edited by 10hellfire01; 02-07-2012 at 06:52 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hey guys -

    The FOV is fixed for a reason - mainly due to the demon arms, which are over your shoulders. This FOV made sense given how they worked.
    No that doesn't make sense at all. The FOV should be adjustable, its 2012 ffs. We have the hardware capable of rendering more than consoles without loss in performance, the developers clearly made the game with consoles in mind that's all there is to it. And here is a thread to prove that the demon arm looks/works just the same with a higher fov minus the motion sickness, http://widescreengamingforum.com/for...me-dark-sector. I'm done here, its you who are losing potential buyers. Head over to the steam forums, to see how many people are holding off from buying the game, solely because of this reason.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2
    I want to play this soooo bad. However, Im at the part where youre in the mansion for the second time. The FOV gets me sick after seconds of playing. Please please please fix this. Ive paid for my copy, its an easy option to patch in. Let us play it how we want to...and in our cases need to.

    If this isn't fixed, I'm done with 2K and Digital Extremes...which is weird because DE is pretty good at PC. I guess all devs now that have switched (PC to console) are good at excuses and poor at results.

  27. #27
    Put my vote in with their needing to be a fov slider or something to change fov. The fov is 45 >.>.

  28. #28
    Hell tell me where the config files are and I'll change the fov myself lol. They are not located in the My Documents folder like most other config files are.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by nepdyse View Post
    No that doesn't make sense at all. The FOV should be adjustable, its 2012 ffs. We have the hardware capable of rendering more than consoles without loss in performance, the developers clearly made the game with consoles in mind that's all there is to it. And here is a thread to prove that the demon arm looks/works just the same with a higher fov minus the motion sickness, http://widescreengamingforum.com/for...me-dark-sector. I'm done here, its you who are losing potential buyers. Head over to the steam forums, to see how many people are holding off from buying the game, solely because of this reason.
    He is right people are either not buying it or are waiting for a price drop. The game does seem optimized and the controls work well, but someone either didn't care or dropped the ball making the fov 45.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nepdyse View Post
    No that doesn't make sense at all. The FOV should be adjustable, its 2012 ffs. We have the hardware capable of rendering more than consoles without loss in performance, the developers clearly made the game with consoles in mind that's all there is to it. And here is a thread to prove that the demon arm looks/works just the same with a higher fov minus the motion sickness, http://widescreengamingforum.com/for...me-dark-sector. I'm done here, its you who are losing potential buyers. Head over to the steam forums, to see how many people are holding off from buying the game, solely because of this reason.

    The man speaks the truth, a game loses massive amounts of appeel to some of us when we cant run it on our Eyefinity/surround visions setups.

    Customizing = a good thing
    Locking stuff = bad thing =)

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, US
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztazcular View Post
    Hell tell me where the config files are and I'll change the fov myself lol. They are not located in the My Documents folder like most other config files are.
    I've looked everywhere but find nothing other than the game's core files. Now that I think of it I forgot to check out the registry so I'll try there later on. FoV is definitely too small, even for me. Figured it was <50.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    I normally don't care about console ports, but this is ridiculously blatant. The game...in 2012...doesn't even support 16:10, so that's a LOT of people out of luck. The FOV is disgustingly low. It makes me sick and I don't even get motion sickness. It's like holding a piece of paper right infront of your eyes...that is NOT how human vision works.

    It's basically a huge '☺☺☺☺ you' to the PC consumers, they don't care in the slightest beyond taking your money. Again, something I NEVER thought I'd be complaining about. If you aren't going to support and embrace the PC crowd, make it a console exclusive. I know it's our job as consumers to know this stuff BEFORE making a purchase, but a lot of people don't do that. Luckily I tried the demo first and was immediately put off.

    Unless there's a huge turn around and they implement basic functionality directed at PC gameplay, I won't be continuing with D2.

    edit: they didn't even get mouse controls right for dual wielding. Basic. So god damn basic.

  33. #33
    lol, so happy I cancelled my pre-order

    btw, nice job trying to lie 2k, widescreen gaming forum busted you guys though.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    22
    Yeah, was thinking of buying this today, but then I found this thread.

    Sorry, will buy Hard Reset and something else instead... not giving money to you guys anymore for broken console ports. YOu never learned the FOV lesson from Bioshock??

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, US
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
    Yeah, was thinking of buying this today, but then I found this thread.

    Sorry, will buy Hard Reset and something else instead... not giving money to you guys anymore for broken console ports. You never learned the FOV lesson from Bioshock??
    Even Bioshock was day and night better compared to this. Just realized anyone who is getting sick from the game it happens more or less in the mansion where it seems like the FoV decreases, or the game gets stuck in 'zoom'.

    On a side note registry turns up nothing, so I'll see what I can find with cheat engine (which the guy on widescreengaming forums found, but the value resets/address changes supposedly every launch).

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hey guys -

    The FOV is fixed for a reason - mainly due to the demon arms, which are over your shoulders. This FOV made sense given how they worked.
    That's a completely lame excuse as shown in these pictures with a modified FOV:
    Maximize the screenshots to fullscreen to understand it better.

    Modified FOV


    Original FOV


    If you want to give a proper explanation you let a developer do that thank you.

    To further educate yourself on the FOV matter (that used to be standard 90 in PC games) check these videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XsP...eature=related

    Also before you lose any more PC customers you'd better ask the team of Bioshock Infinite if they have already taken it in consideration, contrary to Bioshock 1&2.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    kafros, I promise you that I don't answer questions that are development related without checking with the devs first. That would be silly!

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hey guys -

    The FOV is fixed for a reason - mainly due to the demon arms, which are over your shoulders. This FOV made sense given how they worked.

    While I agree that you may feel it's is best for the average person, and that it's how you want the game to feel by default, you should still give the user the option to change it. Customization of everything is key on PC. Just put an advanced section, a little warning that changing options there may have unintended side-effects or that it may not give the optimal presentation, and be done with it.

    In other news,
    https://www.widescreenfixer.org/test.php

    I added support for this game.

    It lets you change the aspect-ratio, the field-of-view, and it fixes the interface being cut off for Eyefinity/Surround users.

    Before:


    After:

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by 10hellfire01 View Post
    I've looked everywhere but find nothing other than the game's core files. Now that I think of it I forgot to check out the registry so I'll try there later on. FoV is definitely too small, even for me. Figured it was <50.
    Someone on the Steam forums found the config files, but they are encrypted (or maybe written in jiberish?).

    c:/Users/(yourusername)/AppData/Roaming/DarknessII

    I had actually forgotten about the hidden appdata folder lol.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by 10hellfire01 View Post
    Even Bioshock was day and night better compared to this. Just realized anyone who is getting sick from the game it happens more or less in the mansion where it seems like the FoV decreases, or the game gets stuck in 'zoom'.

    On a side note registry turns up nothing, so I'll see what I can find with cheat engine (which the guy on widescreengaming forums found, but the value resets/address changes supposedly every launch).
    It resets itself after you finish a level. So its not really worth it since a normal PC FPS person could finish a single level (or section of a level) in 30 minutes if they don't look for relics.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •