Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti Aliasing and FOV

I would rather not resort to using external fixes to get a normal looking FOV, but I will if I have to. The game is fun, but I can't play it longer than 30 mins because it starts to strain my eyes. Even the source engine, several years old, gives you the option to alter your FOV, why is it ignored here?

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hey guys -

The FOV is fixed for a reason - mainly due to the demon arms, which are over your shoulders. This FOV made sense given how they worked.
    That's not a legitimate reason, plus it doesn't even make sense. The demon arms don't disappear based on a wider FOV.

I'm glad they're adding an FoV option.

I was stupefied when I changed the resolution to a 16:9 AR resolution and the FoV didn't budge.

After seeing the screenshots on WSGF, I was blown away as to the scaling methods used for the game.

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/sheldoncarter...09595625639937

Now if they only switched the dual wield button mappings. Firing the guns reversed is bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by Baresark View Post
    You guys should read my post. It will fix any FOV in any game. Sure you take a hit for having to play it a bit smaller. the other option is to make the ratio 5:4.
    I have to comment on how blindingly ignorant this suggestion is.

Why would a gamer who bought, say, a 30" 2560x1600 monitor, play in a 1280x720 window? We bought a big monitor to play games in a high resolution.

If you're filming something at a specific resolution, sure, that's understandable. If you're playing the game to be immersed and enjoy it, that's asinine.

Your suggestion is not a 'fix'. It is a suggestion of a workaround to try and trick your brain into seeing something differently. Please stop saying it's a 'fix', as that's on the same level of someone saying "play with a gamepad" because keyboard/mouse controls were implemented poorly in a game. It's a workaround, not a fix.

Below is something completely unrelated to this issue. (30 FPS cap/gamepad stuff)

I also want to bring up 30 FPS capped games, like SW:TFU, I first played it in March of 2010. The game felt incredibly sluggish and the keyboard/mouse controls were garbage. Tried to use my gamepad, but the game only supported the official 360 pad. I didn't even beat the first level.

I beat the game this January because I found a 60FPS mod and got the 360 Gamepad emulator working properly. Almost 2 years later.

I've not played/beat plenty of games due to related issues.

I'd just like to post that internet "voice" TotalHalibit has made a response video regarding the FoV of this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDq_...fcFAAAAAAAAAAA

With that being said, please be respectful to those representing the dev's.

It goes without saying, they're just doing their job, and disrespecting them will result in us not being taken seriously. (Also, very low quality trolling.)

Before this all gets out of hand, I want to let you guys know here that this was brought to the attention of the devs several days ago when I gave my answer here - and I don't have any news or promises, but they were looking into it when I gave them that information and your feedback and they still are.

As a PC gamer and as someone who has been online and listening to you guys for years, I know where you are coming from and I promise that I'm not giving you answers without talking to the devs, and that you are being heard and your messages sent to the right people.

I'd also like to try and keep the speculation and rumors to a minimum - I've received a couple messages about this being a technical limitation, which is not something I know anything about. Beyond the brief explanation I've given, I don't have many more details, but if and when I do have more (and more important, when I have any news that can make you guys cheerier, or at least give you a definitive answer) I'll be posting it here.

I'm not a tech gal. I'm not going to ever claim I know the technical limitations of something unless a dev has explained it to me.

Just saw TBs vid, not impressed to say the least. Seems it would be wiser to quote what the devs say rather than express it in the vague details you are able to understand.

Thanks for listening devs.

At least they may fix it and we have methods of doing it ourselves from widescreengaming. I am extremely curious what a "technical limitation" means to the devs though since its more or less been proven thst it can be changed in large amounts without negative effects.

«««Cheat engine»»»
    Once you apply your values to the FoV you want, tick the 'Active' box for the two addresses. It will force the addresses to remain the same even through level changes. That is the function of active, keeping values from changing (as far as experience goes). Forgot to mention that earlier lol
    Last edited by 10hellfire01; 02-08-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added cheat engine bit

Hellfire - I'm not sure where "technical limitations" comes into it - I haven't been told that by the devs, nor did I mean to convey it, if I did somehow.

Hopefully things are on track to being sorted. If any of you have questions, you know where to find me!

https://twitter.com/#!/sheldoncarter...09595625639937

There is still some hope, I just hope this patch doesn't come out a year later. The FOV is the sole reason that's keeping me from buying this games, to the developers help me help you make that $$$. Provide us with necessary PC functionalities and you can gladly have my wallet.

Hellfire - I'm not sure where "technical limitations" comes into it - I haven't been told that by the devs, nor did I mean to convey it, if I did somehow.

Hopefully things are on track to being sorted. If any of you have questions, you know where to find me!
    The technical limitations we're are talking about are "CONSOLOLOS"(PS3,XBox,Wii), since they can't render more of the enviroment that comes from increasing your Field OF View, whereas PC's or atleast a good gaming PC doesn't suffer from this loss in performance regardless of the fov.

Quote Originally Posted by nepdyse View Post
    The technical limitations we're are talking about are "CONSOLOLOS"(PS3,XBox,Wii), since they can't render more of the enviroment that comes from increasing your Field OF View, whereas PC's or atleast a good gaming PC doesn't suffer from this loss in performance regardless of the fov.
    Ah - I see. Well, yes, PC is a different platform entirely.

My FOV fix works fine I think. Some people did mention some awkwardness when it comes to interacting with objects or doors, which I'm going to look into, but other than that it works absolutely fine.

If they're worried about the position of the demon's arms coming over the shoulder, they could always position those on a separate FOV that does not changing with the main FOV. This would allow you to zoom out while keeping the demon's arms in the same position.

Edit:
    I fixed the FOV to where it no longer affects doors from being broken.

The default FOV is 45 degrees. I let it be adjust to any value between 45.0 and 90.0. 90 seems to be too high for my tastes but if anyone wants it to be higher let me know and I'll raise the cap.
    Last edited by Dopefish.; 02-09-2012 at 04:09 AM.

So it takes public outcry to get basic functionality added to the game, something that should have been there in the first place?

2012. Land of the free.

edit: is the game really capped at 30fps? My FRAPS displayed 0

Quote Originally Posted by Dopefish. View Post
    My FOV fix works fine I think. Some people did mention some awkwardness when it comes to interacting with objects or doors, which I'm going to look into, but other than that it works absolutely fine.

If they're worried about the position of the demon's arms coming over the shoulder, they could always position those on a separate FOV that does not changing with the main FOV. This would allow you to zoom out while keeping the demon's arms in the same position.

Edit:
    I fixed the FOV to where it no longer affects doors from being broken.

The default FOV is 45 degrees. I let it be adjust to any value between 45.0 and 90.0. 90 seems to be too high for my tastes but if anyone wants it to be higher let me know and I'll raise the cap.
    Thanks Dope it works great. Really appreciate it, I'll let other people know.Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by nepdyse View Post
    Thanks Dope it works great. Really appreciate it, I'll let other people know.Thanks again
    Scratch that it crashes everytime I eat a heart lol.

It's fixed in the latest one I just uploaded. Unfortunately it requires disabling the interface clipping.

I haven't bought the game yet and I am not going to play it. I won't purchase a game with a locked FOV because it shows the developers don't know what customer service is. It's a simple fix compared to what ☺☺☺☺ DLC is being worked on at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by minelbp View Post
    I haven't bought the game yet and I am not going to play it. I won't purchase a game with a locked FOV because it shows the developers don't know what customer service is. It's a simple fix compared to what ☺☺☺☺ DLC is being worked on at the moment.
    Hey there -

Frustration and anger is understandable and welcome here but please don't spread rumors about what the dev team is or is not doing. We are currently looking into this situation and when I have an update, I'll post it here.

Please remain respectful. These guys spent years making this game for you to enjoy.

Dear Elizabeth, you may want to watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDq_...v88r56K3AJV9nh

Oh, and look! TB has over 600k people subscribed...damn, this may mean "a few" lost sales.

Sorry, my fault. Understood you mentioming messages and technical limitations coming from the devs.

Just weird some of you guys are getting those weird crashes wuth higer FoVs...been playing between 90 and 100, even tried 150 (tooooooooo high) and never faced crashing or disappearing stuff :s

Quote Originally Posted by Kris91 View Post
    Dear Elizabeth, you may want to watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDq_...v88r56K3AJV9nh

Oh, and look! TB has over 600k people subscribed...damn, this may mean "a few" lost sales.
    I spoke with TB last night (and saw the video!)

I said this a bit further up, but it's important so repeating it won't hurt. The team was updated on this days ago and are looking into a solution. The response I gave earlier in this thread was from the devs and if TB or anyone else misread that to mean technical limitations, that's a failing of how I phrased something and I apologize, because it's not the case and not what I meant and I was hoping by not using those words, that misinterpretation wouldn't happen. Regardless, the issue is already being looked at, so when more information is available, you'll hear about it from me.

Elizabeth, do you remember the AMA you guys did on Reddit about 2 months ago?

Do you remember reading a rather long winded response from me?

If you didn't catch my reply, though long winded, it touched on several things (with FOV being specifically addressed) that PC gamers have come to expect from game developers.

Maybe you or olshfski didn't see it.. maybe you did and paid no attention and passed it off as another rambling moron but if you didn't, here it be.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...on_the/c37dv9f

you guys may not agree with everything I say but it's more or less the mentality that a lot of PC gamers have at this point and it's really sad that it's come to that.

Like someone else in this thread mentioned, if you are working with the bioshock infinite team or know people who are, please take if anything, just this lesson with the FOV to heart and not make the same mistake with infinite.

Bioshock is such a cherished game for us PC guys. Please do not tarnish BS infinite with cutting corners or dumbing the game down or pushing the game out the door before it's properly optimized (though I understand some publishers don't care if it's half baked or not).

These should be standard developer checklist items

FOV adjustment
    AA adjustment
    AF adjustment
    SLI/crossfire profile
    Widescreen support
    Eyefinity support
    DX11 rendering items like tesselation

etc...

I promise if you need to delay the PC launch to implement these features, we won't mind... that's assuming that the game actually runs decent and we aren't lied to *Cough batman AC**

I went out and bought darkness 1 for 360 after reading through the AMA and I really want to play through DII but simply can't justify it until proper FOV is implemented.

I do want to say thanks though for taking the time to actually listen to us instead of giving us the cold shoulder like numerous other developers.

Edit: almost forgot Borderlands 2. Don't you guys dare make this same mistake on that game too. I had to resort to using that hack the guy on youtube was talking about just to play it comfortably.
    Last edited by FastRedPonyCar; 02-09-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeham721 View Post
    So it takes public outcry to get basic functionality added to the game, something that should have been there in the first place?

2012. Land of the free.

edit: is the game really capped at 30fps? My FRAPS displayed 0
    RTSS is showing 105-108 frames with 56% gpu usage. Hard to say if there's a cap or not lol

The game also renders using DirectX9Ex which could be your issue for getting no/weird stat numbers since most programs don't support it. Afterburner Beta 12 added support for it a few days ago.

Pony - I understand where you are coming from and all the devs you name, I assure you, don't live under rocks. I'm not going to say all those things will always be in all our games and I'm not going to explain why or why not that's the case, because they are all different devs, those games are still in production, and I don't know the outcome until they are far more ready to be finished and shipped.

Lol same crap as 2k pulled with Bioshock and Bioshock 2. The short off it is that they don't give a rats ass about PC gamers needs and only want our cash for very little effort on their part. Awful company. So many better companies that support the PC as a game platform don't give your money to 2k.

Well, I'm happy to see 2K are looking to change this.

Also, Elizabeth, thanks for responding to the topic, most companies just ignore their fans questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ARustyFirePlace View Post
    Well, I'm happy to see 2K are looking to change this.

Also, Elizabeth, thanks for responding to the topic, most companies just ignore their fans questions.
    If there's ever a question that David and I have overlooked, email or PM us!

Quote Originally Posted by DAOWAce View Post

I have to comment on how blindingly ignorant this suggestion is.

Why would a gamer who bought, say, a 30" 2560x1600 monitor, play in a 1280x720 window? We bought a big monitor to play games in a high resolution.

If you're filming something at a specific resolution, sure, that's understandable. If you're playing the game to be immersed and enjoy it, that's asinine.

Your suggestion is not a 'fix'. It is a suggestion of a workaround to try and trick your brain into seeing something differently. Please stop saying it's a 'fix', as that's on the same level of someone saying "play with a gamepad" because keyboard/mouse controls were implemented poorly in a game. It's a workaround, not a fix.

I have to comment on the level of illiteracy involved with your response. At no point did I call this anything but a suggestion. I only go by what works at the moment since the config files are encrypted and there is no console to speak of. I have done this in plenty of games that the FOV was ☺☺☺☺ed on. I don't care what size monitor you bought to enjoy your games, nor do I care if you take my suggestion or not. I'm adaptable, it's what I do. I can see how this is a problem for you.

@2K Elizabeth
    Don't disrespect the devs? They disrespected the customers by narrowing the FOV down to 45. It's known that a narrow FOV causes problems for quite a few people, yet DE made it 45 anyway. And they added no option to set it wider. DE is "looking into it". The correction shouldn't take long. Others have done it.

Downloading it on Steam now. I tend to play with my FOV on 75 - 85. Got it set to the same on Skyrim. Hopefully they wont make the same mistake with Spec Ops: the line and Borderlands 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dopefish. View Post
    While I agree that you may feel it's is best for the average person, and that it's how you want the game to feel by default, you should still give the user the option to change it. Customization of everything is key on PC. Just put an advanced section, a little warning that changing options there may have unintended side-effects or that it may not give the optimal presentation, and be done with it.

In other news,
    https://www.widescreenfixer.org/test.php

I added support for this game.

It lets you change the aspect-ratio, the field-of-view, and it fixes the interface being cut off for Eyefinity/Surround users.

Before:

After:
    THX for This !!

Another HUGE thank you for the Widescreen fix link, see the insane difference on one screen (1920x1080) here:

Default:
    http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6480/d21b.jpg
    FOV 75:
    http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4879/d22m.jpg

Makes you feel like a human. I don't know about you, but if I was holding a gun I wouldn't hold it up to my chin. That's how the default FOV looks.

yeah i fought that the field of view is abit to close like everything is crunched in

I got The Darkness II for the PC yesterday and have played about two hours of it. It's a good game but, sadly, like Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, it's yet another example of a multformat game that has not been given that little bit of extra care and attention that PC gamers expect. Customisable graphics options are typically basic for example and there's no proper anti-aliasing support beyond the edge-detect stuff that is added as part of post-processing. Consoles might struggle with anti-aliasing on their six year old graphics hardware but surely most PC graphics cards can? If we can't have MSAA/CSAA then how about options for MLAA and FXAA at Low, Medium and High settings like Deus Ex: Human Revolution has?

Also, I play on a 24" 1920x1200 screen but the game seems to stretch the image vertically instead of showing a proper 16:10 aspect ratio with extra information over the 16:9 ratio at the top and bottom of the screen. This can clearly be seen in the circular Save icon and HUD element that appear oval. Even the text appears distorted and stretched.

Here are the two screenshots I took:

1920x1080 (scaled down to 1600x900) - 16:9

1920x1200 (scaled down to 1600x1000) - 16:10

You can see that both screenshots show the same amount of visuals, only one looks squashed or the other stretched depending on which you think looks "right".

Along with the poor FOV default setting and lack of customisation options, which seems to be designed for console gamers who typically play from further away on a larger 16:9 HDTV, the lack of support for 16:10 monitors is a constant annoyance in games where developers don't bother to support it properly. I find the game looks and plays better at 1920x1080 with top and bottom borders on my screen but how difficult is it really for developers to support 16:10 displays? Don't tell me that the lack of proper fullscreen 1920x1200 support is down to the demons because I won't believe it!

As for the FOV issue, it seems every multiformat PC game gets complaints on the forums when there is no customisation options so you'd think that developers would know by now to support it in the game at, you know, launch not weeks later via a patch? Yet it seems like every FPS still has this same complaint levelled against it. I wouldn't at all be surprised if BioShock Infinite joined that growing list either because despite fixing the original BioShock's FOV with a patch the developers still went and released BioShock 2 without proper widescreen support!

I don't blame 2K Elizabeth for these issues but I'd respectively ask that our grievances are passed on to the developers for serious consideration. At this point in 2012, FOV and 16:10 issues should be taken into account during the development of ALL 2K PC games not looked into on an individual basis weeks after the game's release and following complaints from gamers on the forums. That just gives the impression that the company is either ignorant or doesn't care at all.

so what you guys are saying is the default fov on my 1920x1080 16:9 screen isnt the perfect setting? i felt that something was missing exspecially with the menu being so pixelated and stretched thought that was normal -.-', i thought it was set to 85 by default as should be ?

and if not is there a fix released already?

p.s.: ive never paid attention to it really since ive thought : well if they dont have it as an option then it gotta be auto set to 85

or so i thought , since most if not all of my games have fov configurability even most of my multiplatform pc games or atleast an .ini to customize the game as you please wich takes 0 !! skillz to include as a dev fyi
    Last edited by deathnote; 02-11-2012 at 05:24 PM.

You thought it was 85? It's basically HALF that which is completely insane.

O M ☺☺☺☺N GOD !!!!

seriously? -.-'

no wonder ive had a damn headache once i was finished with the game and i was sitting quite a distance from my tv, now i know somethin wasnt right thanks -.-'

p.s: this better get fixes asap including the rest of the tech issues -.-', ive paid top dollar for this so i expect top quality
    Last edited by Codex; 02-12-2012 at 08:26 AM.

While I like TB's videos... I have to say he's a bit off with his FOV video.
    Sighting games like Serious Sam 3 and others for having in game FOV options. Where with each of those games the FOV slider was added in through a patch/update after release.

Half-Life 2's FOV slider was added with a patch. Same for Sam3, Hard Reset, Duke Nukem Forever.... and many, many others.
    While I agree that being able to adjust your FOV is a good feature for a game, this attitude that a lot of people have that it's an "expected" option for PC games seems to have come out of nowhere.
    Yes, in the past we've been able to adjust FOV in various games on PC. But we've done this by tweaking CFG files and using console commands. It's very, very rarely ever been an in game option.
    It's only in recent years that developers have taken to adding the option to games through various updates.

And, yes, I'm against cfg files being encrypted so we can't tweak games (Singularity also had a setup like this), but this ideal that an in game FOV slider/option should be included by default really doesn't make any sense as it hasn't been a "standard" option in games.
    I've played PC FPS games since Wolf3D. All the way through the big name series, and smaller, lesser known titles. Very, very few of those releases have had a default, in game option to adjust your FOV.

Now, I'm all for adding an option in. And should Digital Extremes update the game with an added FOV option... great. Fantastic. I'll be thrilled. As I'm always happy when developers do that.
    Croteam adding the FOV slider to Sam3 was a great addition. But, it's not an option I look for with a brand new release because in all my years playing games... it hasn't been a standard option.

@2k Elizabeth

I think you have a difficult job. People are angry with the game performance. I think you are right, different developers use different method to make their games. People are not polite to name different developers into this case.

I just hope that 2k and Digital Extreme can listen to the players and consider the experience their have and the suggestion they gave. It's not matter about right or wrong. It's important to offer customers a choice to tweak the game on PC. By offering more options, there will be no mistake and no wrong. Just make sure that the patch is optimize and ASAP.

Thank you,

Daz - everything you pointed out in your post has already been relayed by me last week. I'll post here when I know anything concrete.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast