Thread: GI: Advanced Tactics: Exploring XCOM's Combat, Part 2

GI: Advanced Tactics: Exploring XCOM's Combat, Part 2

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...at-part-2.aspx

Really, really want this! Only thing that bothers me at the moment is tha sectoid that is mind linked to another has a visible trail to the hidden sectoid. If the kill one linked sectoid kill the other is still true then you will put more effort into killing the visible one, 2 for 1, no downside.

Ya I hope killing one doesn't kill the other, maybe just wounds him or hurts his accuracy for a few turns (aka dazes him but not unconscience). Getting a twofer would just go to help make the game easier imo.

I forget where they mentioned this, but it's been confirmed that all linked sectoids die together.

I wouldn't mind this since it is supposed to make the linked sectoids stonger in some way, so it is a trade-off for them: extra strength or power for the possibility of simultaneously dying. However, the linked sectoid seemed to get taken out pretty easily by a shotgun...Hopefully that demo was being played at an easy level....or "kid k" was able to get off a few more shots than was showed.

If X-COM is able to develop Psi, it would be interesting if you risk death to your PSI-corp unit if a controlled alien is killed.

Quote Originally Posted by 54x View Post
    I forget where they mentioned this, but it's been confirmed that all linked sectoids die together.
    Oh I'm not doubting that they both die, I'm just saying I think it's stupid and it makes the game easier since you get two kills for the price of one.

It's not really for the price of one though, because it will increase the effectiveness of all the linked sectoids, so if they use it correctly, they could kick your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanDaMan View Post
    If X-COM is able to develop Psi, it would be interesting if you risk death to your PSI-corp unit if a controlled alien is killed.
    I get the feeling there will be no Psi to be researched and used by XCOM. For me it looks like the Sectoid ability to use PSI is just a little reference to the original for the old fans. Just a feeling I have, no facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Oh I'm not doubting that they both die, I'm just saying I think it's stupid and it makes the game easier since you get two kills for the price of one.
    How do you not know that future research will allow you to link your guys and possibly lose two people if on is killed in the same manner as the sectoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Usul View Post
    I get the feeling there will be no Psi to be researched and used by XCOM. For me it looks like the Sectoid ability to use PSI is just a little reference to the original for the old fans. Just a feeling I have, no facts.
    I doubt it - nearly everything you see the aliens do in the original games can be researched up to a point - Psi, flying suits, UFO tech. I fully expect to see Psi, albeit hopefully a more balanced Psi in the new game.

It's not really for the price of one though, because it will increase the effectiveness of all the linked sectoids, so if they use it correctly, they could kick your ass.
    I believe the quote is from the gameinformer article:

"these neural fibres allow the Sectoids to establish a psyonic link with one another - a kind of mind merge where one Sectoid can boost the effectiveness of his ally. It is believed that flanking these units and terminating the Sectoid initiating such a link will result in the total necrosis of both creatures."

So you can't just kill either, you have to kill the one who is initiating (in the articles instance, the one inside the diner). So it's a little harder than just kill any and all sectoids

It sounds as though each alien has its own challenge in battle and that's great.

But they shot the one outside the diner who was being aided by a link, didn't they?

yes. It says it makes them better, doesn't say anything about making them invincible...

Quote Originally Posted by Happymonster View Post
    But they shot the one outside the diner who was being aided by a link, didn't they?
    Who said that killed the one inside ? Don't let the "mission accomplished" fool you. Because there was at least one more sectoid by that car and only one was killed.

That's unfortunate but it could be seen as a side effect of the process.

If you kill the link initiator not the sectoid being boosted.

Er, whats with reviving a thread from January?

huh i dont know why the link is visibile but it looks good to me the a.i is smart enough to hide behind a building and other sectoids before intitiating a link and i like it it makes sectoids have the ability to go from grunts to killing machines (largely based on difficulty of course)

OK, it looks fair to me.

If you kill the sectoid who receives the link it doesn't kill the originator. It only works the other way around.