Thread: Digital Extremes "interested" in developing The Darkness 3, says GamingUnion

Digital Extremes "interested" in developing The Darkness 3, says GamingUnion

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/digi...iii--7728.html

Would a third Darkness game be worth it to you guys? I think since the game didn't have a closed ending, we kind of need a third one, but they tried way too hard to tie it into the comics and I'm not sure I'm okay with the direction it's going in. And I would actually like TD3 to END the story this time, instead of stretching it out for milking the franchise (or including every other comic book halfway tied to The Darkness in the plot just for Top Cow's marketing plans).

I'm curious about it. If they did make a third one, I think I'd still want Starbreeze behind it instead of Digital Extremes.

Well duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh, of course DE is gonna be interested.

And I would actually like TD3 to END the story this time, instead of stretching it out for milking the franchise (or including every other comic book halfway tied to The Darkness in the plot just for Top Cow's marketing plans).
    Well of course it's gonna be milked to no end, I guess digital extremes are already extremely satisfied with the cash flowing towards them, no?

Would a third Darkness game be worth it to you guys?
    If anything would be worth it, it's Digital Extremes game retconned and Starbreeze making a proper sequel to the first game in the same vein as the original. But let's be honest - not going to happen and DI was just fine as a one off.

I'm curious about it. If they did make a third one, I think I'd still want Starbreeze behind it instead of Digital Extremes.
    Why would you want Starbreeze to fix things fubar? I'm sorry, but with where the second game has already gone now - Starbreeze isn't going to change anything. We're just going to have to deal with the fact that franchise is getting milked.

Suggestion - move on and play the first game once more.

YES.
    If Digital Extremes are behind it I'd definitely be up for a third Darkness. They did a fantastic job on this one, and I'd love either another full game or some single player DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDirtyBastard View Post
    Suggestion - move on and play the first game once more.
    "Moving on" from what was once something amazing is harder than you'd think. DE did a great job with Dark Sector and I was hoping they'd make TD2 feel the same, but in the end it seemed TC just couldn't stand having their little fans mad that the game and the comics weren't the same thing. Sorry, but if the comic fans hated the first game so much and criticized it's growing fanbase, WHY did the second game have to give them something they never asked for (while ignoring the first game's fans)?

I guess it's just blind hope at this point, but I wish they'd make a campaign that's actually long and try and get the story back to it's REAL roots: the first game. I'm fine with some supernatural stuff being introduced, but stop dragging it down the rabbit hole, stop tying it in to other comics, and stop making everything so colorful.

It was originally about Jackie and The Darkness, and I think if it were done nicely enough there could be a chance of reclamation of the original plot. The Darkness 2 didn't even stray from the real plot until the end, so I'm just running on blind hope here.

Both games take huge departures from the comic storyline.
    Both in terms of how Jackie handles the Darkness, characters... enemies... all of that.

Personally, I like The Darkness II much better then the first. I love the first game, played multiple times. But the player movement and combat is very clunky, and the majority of the time... you don't feel like you're even using the Darkness.
    To me, the Darkness II feels like is has more solid controls, better gunplay... you actually feel like you are using the Darkness, as if you actually have a lot of power.
    And the game has a visual look that helps it stand out.

I think as long as another darkness game is made, I will be happy whether it be by starbreeze or DE, but i think that i liked the darkness 2 better than the first game. The only thing that i really didn't like about the darkness 2 is how abrupt the endings were.

damn this game was short seriously i finished in 4 and a half hours -.-' on hitman wtf?and ive taken my time too -.-'

what a waste of money so much for being all positive till the end , they never shouldve gone the vendetta route and instead double the campaign for jackie , i mean we was so close to tasting some angelus goodness i was getting all hyped for a nice but short finished campaign with a real final boss battle aka me wielding wings and unleashing hords of demons and fighting the crap out of the angelus and her minions damn it!!!, and now we probably gotta wait another 3 years -.-'

p.s: im happy theyre starting to merge jackies game universe with the comic universe ,as ive said before the game was even released ,that thats how id approach it in order to be able to produce future installments with tons of story material and making it a triple A title in the games market thats IF topcow decides on a 3rd and future games

fyi jackie aint dead hell get out of there as per usual , i mustve held jenny like for 15 min btw xD

p.s: the first game was so epic i mustve played it like 25 times over the years , but this ...meh , no reason to replay, i unlocked all collectibles etc and yeah vendetta sux bad , kinda makes me sad so little love is being put in this afterall, guess i was right from the beginning ...to my disappointment

As long as we get the Darkling(your AI partner) back. Then I'll buy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by deathnote View Post
    they never shouldve gone the vendetta route and instead double the campaign for jackie
    For once we agree on something. The Vendettas mode from what I played felt very tacked on & unnecessary. The story should have just been about Jackie & more time spent on the main campaign rather than Vendettas would have been much more preferable.

Anyway if/when we finally get a Darkness 3 I would love to see Starbreeze back to create it, as much as I like DE's version. We've done the comic book thing, now let's bring it back to reality like the first game.

+1 this!, not so much a fan of low rez "handpainted" textures myself i think we all know that one xD

p.s: i mean weve seen the live trailer THIS is how the darkness game should look like NOT a ☺☺☺☺n cellshaded/"graphic novel" esque look
    Last edited by Codex; 02-12-2012 at 08:18 AM.

I would like to see a third Darkness Game with Digital Extremes behind it. The True Ending leaves no Choice but a 3rd Game. And just to be honest i think Digital Extremes could handle the Supernatural and Over the Top Side of The Darkness better than Starbreeze. And since obviously in The Darkness 3 "Spoiler" the Angelus "Spoiler", wich is a Supernatural and Over the Top thing, will appear i think DE is a better Choice for it. But i also would like to see the first Darkness Game for PC.

I'd love another Darkness game from Digital Extremes. I personally think they did a fantastic job both story, gameplay and visual style.
    A little refinement to the Darkness powers, some polish to the music... and another Darkness title could be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterssoldier View Post
    Anyway if/when we finally get a Darkness 3 I would love to see Starbreeze back to create it, as much as I like DE's version. We've done the comic book thing, now let's bring it back to reality like the first game.
    I guess this sums up my feelings. I was ok with DE's take on the game and still think the series is amazing, but I think even with the hell levels Starbreeze did a better job.

I personally felt the "hell" levels in the first Darkness were ungodly boring.
    The Asylum in The Darkness II was far more interesting, both in atmosphere and story.

Personally, I hope future Darkness titles continue the comic book inspired visuals with improvements.
    As for Starbreeze... while I love Riddick and The Darkness, the demo for The Syndicate is awful. The studio recently split, with several long time, key members leaving to form a new studio (Machinegames) with ZeniMax.
    And judging from the Syndicate demo, a lot of the inspiration left with them.

Personally, we've got way more then enough games that try the "realistic" style. I personally hope for more games and developers willing to take chances and try new things in regards to the "look" of games.

Damien - I loved the Hell levels in the first game, they were far more... hellish than the ending of #2. As for Syndicate, that may be your preference in games themselves, I'm a massive cyberpunk fan so I'm stoked for it.

I didn't mind the actual cel-shading as an art style, it's just the endless color that bothers me. It felt too rainbow (hah, odd expression) to be the Darkness. I miss the grim hopeless feeling I got out of the first game.

I for one would love to see a third installment of the game. But one thing that concerns me is just how far the second on deviated from the first.

I know it's made by a different company and all, but still. The gameplay and visual style was duly different that I felt like a complete different game, rather then a continuation. Where the first was dark and dirty, this one felt cozy and warm (due to the bright colors) most of the time. Not to mention the lack of actual darkness powers totally turn the experience upside down.

I for one, and I know that it's very unlikely, think the third should either be a collaboration between SrarBreeze and Digital Extremes, or JUST StarBreeze. The first one felt downright evil. The sequel, more or less like a cartoon. Heck, the scariest moment by far is the logo intro.

If you want my opinion:

* Bring on the third!

* Drop the cellshading and epic colors (or include the option to turn it off)! It gave me headaches and made the game look a little silly, frankly.

* Give Jackie his old look back. He looked like a rockstar. He also seemed shorter for some reason.

* In matter of fact, give the entire game its old visual style back. It suits the actual game a lot better. Grim and evil.

* Return the Darkness powers. Keep the upgrades too.

* Reinstate the free-roam feel to an extend (if possible). The sequel feels kinda claustrophobic compared to the first.

* Keep the relics. Those were awesome.

* Perhaps a ending that doesn't make you want to kick something due to it being essentially a cliffhanger without confirmation of it actually continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenVamphyre View Post
    Damien - I loved the Hell levels in the first game, they were far more... hellish than the ending of #2. As for Syndicate, that may be your preference in games themselves, I'm a massive cyberpunk fan so I'm stoked for it.

I didn't mind the actual cel-shading as an art style, it's just the endless color that bothers me. It felt too rainbow (hah, odd expression) to be the Darkness. I miss the grim hopeless feeling I got out of the first game.
    I love cyberpunk... when it's done right.
    It's not a matter of the aesthetic,atmosphere... or style. It's the gameplay itself that put me off.

I have a lot of opinions on this game but I'll cut everything down.

The Darkness one and it's dev team was out of this world, I remembered the game and every aspect right until I saw The Darkness 2's ad in OXM. Needless to say I was psyched.

Upon playing TD2 I was less than enthused. The game was short, the art-style (although I understand what they were trying to do) was laughable and the main character was disgustingly overpowered. The few good parts of TD2 were probably the use of talent tree's to amplify the style of combat you enjoy and the plot.

The story was unreal, ...the execution, not so much.

This is all written from my opinion, but The Darkness (1) was so dark, horrifying, and solemn. A scene has never made my heart drop like (SPOILER!!) the one in which Jenny is executed. None of the cutscenes/cinematics from The Darkness 2 drew anything from me other than is this reality or an illusion?

I REALLY want a third, but please, if there's going to be another, go back. Make it dark again, make Hell a real Hell. Not the abomination from TD2. Make the game a cold, mafia story with a twist. And for God sake don't give us another cop-out ending like TD2.

This series is great, but much like the game title implys, it's dark. Make it dark again.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
    I personally felt the "hell" levels in the first Darkness were ungodly boring.
    The Asylum in The Darkness II was far more interesting, both in atmosphere and story.
    The WW1 Hell from the first game was amazing. Really, what's more horrifying than an endless war in which you can never die. I liked the representations of the Four Horsemen as well, very cool stuff. The asylum from Darkness 2 was great but the very brief level you actually spent in Hell was nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterssoldier View Post
    The WW1 Hell from the first game was amazing. Really, what's more horrifying than an endless war in which you can never die. I liked the representations of the Four Horsemen as well, very cool stuff. The asylum from Darkness 2 was great but the very brief level you actually spent in Hell was nothing special.
    I couldn't agree more here. The hell levels from The first game were the perfect setting for this game, they were grim, and really felt like what they were meant to be, a limbo.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Darkness 2. The gameplay actually made me feel like I was using the Darkness, duel wielding was executed excellently and the Story was deeply immersive.

However I liked the comic book style and I understand that they wanted to make it seem comic book retro/dark, but if they make TD3 I hope it's made using the Unreal Engine to give it a better grim dark style along with a better destruction system. The other thing I'm confused on is who is going to be the main Antagonist in TD3, obviously it's going to be the Angelus but the only way I can see it/her being the antagonist is if she had some Light based minions and whenever I try to think about what they would look like I just imagine the Angels from Darksiders.

and at the end of the game where is the Angelus going? If they are in hell shouldn't they not be able leave.

I Agree with the fans of the First game in this forum. Rarely do games draw you in atmosphere wise, the Darkness 2 failed to do what the darkness 1 did. It really just comes down to, darkness 2 having a more attractive character, being less Rpg free roaming, and more action packed with fluid combat - Whereas Darkness 1 was more an experience, the time between fights walking through a dark cold Newyork, coupled with the music and the personalities of the characters adds to the art aesthetic, and actually makes you feel for the story and the character, they are relatable. You feel as if they are real characters, All the little side missions in the subway, they make the world of the game more immersive. You see a world filled with darkness, and people trying to fight against it, small flickering flames in the dark, that give you this sense of hope.

Its like what they did with Mass effect, Mass effect 1 = Unstreamlined - more RPG, Mass effect 2 - streamlined, less RPG, more action.
    Was 2 more Fun? Sure, it was more fun, I always thought Jackie was a total badass in the comics, and the darkness is meant to be this all powerful thing, and In the darkness 1 there’s a lot of choppiness with the combat because you die soo fast. - But at the same time, they took the heart out of the game in other areas.

The Darkness 1 still in my opinion has the best graphics of any game on xbox 360, the textures, especially the wet look on most objects are amazing. Whenever a new friend is over, that has never heard of the darkness before that enjoyed bioshock, I say, you think that was great, wait till you see this. Starbreeze did a phenomenal job. The combat was clunky, but that was the only issue.

To me, they took a work of art and detracted from it. I would not replay the darkness 2, yet ive played the first game through multiple times, I can acknowledge what they did, taking the game and making it more comic-like, The game is based on a comic afterall, but this was unnecessary, In the first game when I entered a level I Would look around, not intentionally because I thought I would find something that would make my character stronger, but because everything was soo pretty, Everything in number 2 was ugly, blury, lowrez. The story in the second game was great, I enjoyed the "is this reality or not" components with the mental institution, but you cant ground someone in either reality, if it looks like a comic. The combat was absolutely revolutionary, I mean I couldn’t have possibly thought of a better way to implement Jackies powers, well done, but the world of the first game has ceased to be with the change in art style, and quite possibly to a much lesser extent the pacing.

What makes a Game good, Is enjoyment, whether it be from "HEY whoa man I just tore that Guy in half, and pulled that other guys spinal cord out through his butt" (darkness 2) - or from playing something that touches your soul and restores your hope in humanity (darkness 1)

The darkness 2 had a great premise, but the art style let it down : (
    Last edited by Slaydarius; 04-29-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I liked the darkness 2, but everything seemed like it didn't have enough effort put into it. I wish that starbreeze would pick this up and make it awesome, or that 2k would make this game great. Everything felt lacking. I think that people would be happier with more realistic graphics because there is more tech available for more realistic games so it would be easier to make, and it would look better. I don't really mind the cartoon graphics but it feels limiting. I thought that the combat in the first was more realistic. In the second game the deaths look very limited by animations, and the blood seems to splash around at the wounds unrealistically. I prefered the blood and the dying in the first. I liked that you could unload 2 clips really really fast into a guy and he would go flying. I can go on and on about how I think that the Darkness 2 didn't have enough put into it and that it needs more creativity, but I think that in order for me to buy the Darkness 3 from 2k, they are going to have to take a lot of advice and form a bigger more immersive and realistic game.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown- View Post
    I liked the darkness 2, but everything seemed like it didn't have enough effort put into it. I wish that starbreeze would pick this up and make it awesome, or that 2k would make this game great. Everything felt lacking. I think that people would be happier with more realistic graphics because there is more tech available for more realistic games so it would be easier to make, and it would look better. I don't really mind the cartoon graphics but it feels limiting. I thought that the combat in the first was more realistic. In the second game the deaths look very limited by animations, and the blood seems to splash around at the wounds unrealistically. I prefered the blood and the dying in the first. I liked that you could unload 2 clips really really fast into a guy and he would go flying. I can go on and on about how I think that the Darkness 2 didn't have enough put into it and that it needs more creativity, but I think that in order for me to buy the Darkness 3 from 2k, they are going to have to take a lot of advice and form a bigger more immersive and realistic game.
    No offense, but this is close to nonsensical. I'm sure you mean well, but you can't say you want realistic graphics because cartoon graphics are too limiting. It's the opposite - a cartoon or comic style allows you to do things that aren't possible in reality. And that's before we even get to the idea of a more realistic game based on a comic-book about a guy with god-like powers.

Darkness II was more empowering than Darkness I. Jackie was tougher and more efficient, able to dispatch enemies quickly and brutally this time around compared to the first game. That's easier to believe because of a move away from realism.

That's not to say a more realistic approach wouldn't be cool, or work well - but there's a different expectation. You want realism but then you want to shoot a guy with 2 clips and have him go flying? These things don't quite jive.

Lastly - the assertion that the developers didn't put effort into it is pretty ridiculous. Sure, people sometimes want to have do-overs or they can second guess themselves, but no one sets out to not try at the job they love doing. The idea that they they didn't put in enough effort is silly for a multitude of reasons. You can criticize a game without picking the lowest hanging fruit.

Woah...i just had to make an account for this...
    Seriously, it pisses me off that people think that TD2 is better than the first one, just because it's newer...
    I really like both games, but the first one beats the second one, even if we look at them neutrally. Longer storyline, better graphics, better ambientation, more interesting stuff (the relics were the only thing that wasn't really scripted in the second game). I mean, yes, i can respect your opinion, for example, maybe you like the second game more because you're a fan of the comic books, but if you think the second game is better, and you aren't a fan of the comic books, then i suggest you to play the first game again.
    Someone just said that the WWI sections were boring and had no atmosphere, and the asylum was much more interesting, i really hope that was sarcasm, the WWI sections of the game have won, by far, the best and most disturbing depiction of hell, in any kind of media (and i'm an atheist myself). While the asylum is just the stereotypical psychological thriller bad horror movie, and it was way too obvious that it was an illusion made by The Darkness, and the Hell abyss was way too colorful and cheesy (i was hoping for Jenny to be down and out already). the most disturbing part in The Darkness 2 was the brothel (pffff).
    Someone else said that you never really used The Darkness in the first game, again, i think this is just because people have forgotten about the first game, in the first game, you could really feel how the darkness was growing stronger, there was an exciting feeling every time you obtained a new power. in the second game you can't even hide the darkness...and now everyone seems to know about it, not to mention that you've lost all the powers you bothered to obtain trough the first game, except for the black hole and the demon arm, which where somehow reincorporated.
    The first game is an underrated masterpiece, the second one may have better controls and more action, but it was a like the crescent of the sun, the biggest let down of the millennium.
    I can live with the Angelus as the next antagonist, shadow armor, the brotherhood, the vendetta guys, Johnny, talent trees and even more cheesy Jenny stuff, i really liked ALL of those things, but i want the old dark-and-disturbing atmosphere back.
    To everyone who may think of TD2 as a better game, in anything that isn't gameplay, go play the first one again, and then come back.
    end of my rant, excuse me if I've committed any grammar or spelling error, but English isn't my first language.

Quote Originally Posted by YarMadar View Post
    Woah...i just had to make an account for this...
    Seriously, it pisses me off that people think that TD2 is better than the first one, just because it's newer...
    That's just IGN and its fanbase.

I don't think someone in the right state of mind can enjoy a game that was stripped of its best parts: Dark, evil atmosphere (which WAS the darkness for me), realism (the second game tossed it aside to where I swear they don't even take place in the same universe anymore), emotional attachment to characters (they made the Jenny moments cheesy, Jackie is no longer tortured, and every second character is a hooker).

It's just... so removed from a proper sequel that I'm still in shock about it.

I think The Darkness 2 is a little misunderstood. The comic book looks sucked yes and so did vendettas. I throught the moments with Jenny were good. I mean shes dead. You can't kill her again. And the Mental Asylem was a bloody stroke of genus. But it was lacking a dark and evil atmosphere and the abilty to explore was sorely missed. Adding the Angelus as the next bad guy is a good start and hopefully they bring in The Sovereign. How they let you use The Darkness was clever and I think a keeper along with Relics (Which are awsome). And you don't go to hell on The Darkness 1. You enter The Darkness's mind. Just so you're all aware. And although I found it boring it was a lot better than the hell off the second one and way more scary. And I think Jackie looked good in 2. He's the leader of the mafia now. And thats how he looks in the comics.

Bring back the darkling but I reckon you should be able to customise it.

P.S Adding The Dark One to help guild Jackie and make more powerful would be great for the game.

A third Darkness game?
    Hell yes! I want to kick some angel butt!
    I loved TD2. Hell, I even liked the graphical style.

Never played TD1 though, sadly :'(

I thought they did a splendid job with TD2 so I think they should go for it. I want to see where the story goes next after that twist ending.

Well, by collecting what we all do and don't like about the first and second game, there could be quite a few excellent suggestions for these guys if they actually do take up the production of the third.

First off, they could add more options of what to do with the Darkness powers, like the first game with the Darkness guns, the Black holes on command, the Darkness Arm, and the Creeping Dark, as well as the variety in Darklings. However, they could replace the Creeping Dark power with the idea from the second game when Jackie closes his eyes and controls the Darkling. They could make that power on command as well.

They could also bring back the graphics from the first game, it is clear that the realistic style is prefered over the comic graphics. They might want to maintain the creative slaughtering techniques portrayed in the second game as well. I personally prefer the voices of the characters from the second game, they just sounded better for the parts...

Where they left the story off, they're going to have to pull some strings with the rules of the storyline left over from the second game. Those of you that played the second one know that the Darkness isn't supposed to be able to repair the damage from the Siphon of the Angelus. So... yeah, that's gonna be a hard one to get out of. If they wanna make it funny, they could have him wake up in a hospital, because technically The Darkness can't fix that damage, but what about a medical miracle?

The producers may also want to consider that they'll have to restore the quality of the storyline, as well as restore the side-missions. They'll also want to bring back the free world movement and atmosphere of the first game.

There's also the question of "How the hell is Jackie going to get the Angelus out of Jenny?!" I would suggest a relic like those from the second game, but a new one this time... Somekind of epic weapon you get halfway into the game, or something. Maybe Jackie finds it, or it would make sense that he could have Johnny Powell make it, or maybe force the Darkness to. Either way, he'll need something powerful to get the Angelus out of her without killing her. Maybe they could include this new relic in combat as well. Much like the German Zombies from the first game's Hell, they should have an enemy that only this relic can kill permanently. This provides a good time to introduce the Angelus Warriors from the comics.
    Last edited by Jackie Estacado; 01-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.

I didn't like the direction digital extremes took the series. If not for the story taking place after the events of the first game it would have played more like a reboot than a sequel. A good sequel should keep the identity of it's franchise, it's identity and signature mechanics is what separates it from other games. A game's identity should be what defines it and sets it apart from other franchises. Uncharted 2 felt like a continuation of it's predecessor as did AC2 (Desmond Miles)to name but a few. They made it feel like you were using the same protagonists in the sequels that you fell in love with from the games that introduced you to them. They used the same voice actors and similar model designs.

When making Infamous 2 sucker punch decided to take the game in a different direction and there was a petition from the fans that led to sucker punch redesigning the protagonist so he would look more like how he did in the first game. It's like when a movie recasts and uses a different actor in a sequel. It breaks the illusion somewhat and screws with the continuity. I felt that way with TD2. The only character that they chose to keep the same was aunt Sarah and they didn't even think to change her clothes after 2 years, making it seem like they just copied and pasted the character model from the original.

I think they went the comic style route because if the violent sequences they had in the game were as close to real life graphics as was seen in Starbreeze's version they may have had problems with censorship and probably wouldn't have passed the certification process as it may have been deemed to violent. When I played the first Darkness game some of the kill sequences made me wince because it looked real and the voice acting was top notch. You could hear and feel the panic in the people you killed. I didn't feel that with the sequel. I was desensitised like when I play an arcade game with violence. A game feels gory when the effects look real. There is a difference in how a horror comic and a horror movie make you feel.

As for some saying they were more powerful in the sequel and they used the Darkness power more I think that depends on how you played the game. I felt more proficient in killing in the first game and mastered the movement and controls. I could take out an enemy with long range head shots but barley used guns on enemies, I could stab an enemy from 10 meters extend them in the air 20 meters and hide their bodies behind fences or hide their bodies behind dumpsters leaving their blood as the only evidence of foul play. I was even able to pick up cars using the darkness arm and hide bodies beneath them making deaths look like car accidents and the use of the creeping dark really made the game feel like a horror where you are the apex predator and the enemies are in a panic state because they don't know what is causing the deaths of their fallen comrades. I also liked that you could have 4 darklings with you at the same time.

The same way Insomniac games needed to revise and change the direction of the Resistance franchise after people complained about the second game not playing like the first and they compromised by bringing back some of the features of the original in the third game, I think what ever studio develops the darkness 3 should do the same. They should allow you to summon more than one Darkling, give you total control of the darkness arm so you could move it freely when picking up object or people instead of context sensitive cut scenes and they should use realistic graphics again that run at 1080p. As it stands the darkness 2 is a game I will play but not keep whereas the original is a game I would not sell, it's also harder to find a copy of the darkness game in CEX or other game shops in the UK than it is to find pre-owned copies to the sequel.

I agree and felt the same way about the sequel.

That's just IGN and its fanbase.

I don't think someone in the right state of mind can enjoy a game that was stripped of its best parts: Dark, evil atmosphere (which WAS the darkness for me), realism (the second game tossed it aside to where I swear they don't even take place in the same universe anymore), emotional attachment to characters (they made the Jenny moments cheesy, Jackie is no longer tortured, and every second character is a hooker).

It's just... so removed from a proper sequel that I'm still in shock about it.
    it's good to know i'm not alone in my thinking. I too was dissapointed with the direction they took the darkness franchise in. I hope they don't continue in that direction. If they do I will only rent or borrow the third game.

Hell yes it would. I haven't played the first one yet because it hasn't been ported to PC and I haven't gotten my hands on a console yet, but after playing The Darkness II, I would definitely buy The Darkness III on release day if it came out for PC. I agree that it should actually end the story though; it feels like the story can be ended in only one more game and that that should be done.

I'd also appreciate a PC port of the first game, but that's never going to happen, so I'd settle for a sequel to The Darkness II.

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/digi...iii--7728.html

Would a third Darkness game be worth it to you guys?

The Darkness II, hit store shelves this week, but could another iteration in the series be on the horizon sooner rather than later? Yes, if Digital Extremes' president, Michael Schmalz, has anything to say about it. During an interview with Gaming Union on the eve of The Darkness II's launch, Schmalz expressed that his team is "interested" in working on The Darkness III… if publisher 2K desires it.

I really liked how they did The Darkness 2. So I'd have to say that eventhough starbreeze also did a great job on the first darkness. I'd really like to see how it ends, and it should end with the third Darkness game. I will certainly be pre-ordering The Darkness 3 when its coming to stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaydarius View Post
    I Agree with the fans of the First game in this forum. Rarely do games draw you in atmosphere wise, the Darkness 2 failed to do what the darkness 1 did. It really just comes down to, darkness 2 having a more attractive character, being less Rpg free roaming, and more action packed with fluid combat - Whereas Darkness 1 was more an experience, the time between fights walking through a dark cold Newyork, coupled with the music and the personalities of the characters adds to the art aesthetic, and actually makes you feel for the story and the character, they are relatable. You feel as if they are real characters, All the little side missions in the subway, they make the world of the game more immersive. You see a world filled with darkness, and people trying to fight against it, small flickering flames in the dark, that give you this sense of hope.

Its like what they did with Mass effect, Mass effect 1 = Unstreamlined - more RPG, Mass effect 2 - streamlined, less RPG, more action.
    Was 2 more Fun? Sure, it was more fun, I always thought Jackie was a total badass in the comics, and the darkness is meant to be this all powerful thing, and In the darkness 1 there’s a lot of choppiness with the combat because you die soo fast. - But at the same time, they took the heart out of the game in other areas.

The Darkness 1 still in my opinion has the best graphics of any game on xbox 360, the textures, especially the wet look on most objects are amazing. Whenever a new friend is over, that has never heard of the darkness before that enjoyed bioshock, I say, you think that was great, wait till you see this. Starbreeze did a phenomenal job. The combat was clunky, but that was the only issue.

To me, they took a work of art and detracted from it. I would not replay the darkness 2, yet ive played the first game through multiple times, I can acknowledge what they did, taking the game and making it more comic-like, The game is based on a comic afterall, but this was unnecessary, In the first game when I entered a level I Would look around, not intentionally because I thought I would find something that would make my character stronger, but because everything was soo pretty, Everything in number 2 was ugly, blury, lowrez. The story in the second game was great, I enjoyed the "is this reality or not" components with the mental institution, but you cant ground someone in either reality, if it looks like a comic. The combat was absolutely revolutionary, I mean I couldn’t have possibly thought of a better way to implement Jackies powers, well done, but the world of the first game has ceased to be with the change in art style, and quite possibly to a much lesser extent the pacing.

What makes a Game good, Is enjoyment, whether it be from "HEY whoa man I just tore that Guy in half, and pulled that other guys spinal cord out through his butt" (darkness 2) - or from playing something that touches your soul and restores your hope in humanity (darkness 1)

The darkness 2 had a great premise, but the art style let it down : (
    A good mix of the two would be perfect. Action and storyline interwoven with a deep and immersive atmosphere would be the Darkness trifecta. I very much enjoyed the Darkness 2 as it made you feel like much more of a badass, much more like you are in control of the Darkness. But it didn't have the same feel or depth as the Darkness 1.

You enter Jenny's new apartment in Chinatown. You admit you rob, steal and murder for a living. She laughs it off. Her innocence means you warm to her immediately. The two of you watch a classic film on the worn, rugged couch. You put your arm around her and fall in love with her. An hour later your insane, paranoid, villainous uncle blows her brains out in front of you while you are helpless to do anything to stop it. Seconds after this you are standing in a horrifying wasteland filled with tired soldiers and terrifying undead. Within the hour you stand once again in a dark, dingy, dimly lit subway station, reminiscing about your first kiss. The atmosphere is seamless; dark, tense, with a niggle at the back of your head, knowing you are half-possessed by an ancient, seemingly all-powerful evil is some heavy stuff.

However, the gameplay mechanics are static and the power of the Darkness isn't properly fleshed out (inside joke!) until the Darkness 2. The sequel also has a lot more action.

You are sitting at the VIP table in a 5 star Italian restaurant when a van smashes into the glass doors, tearing apart your flesh-torn leg. A member of your mafia family drags you into the kitchen while you shoot at the attackers. Then someone throws a molotov cocktail into the kitchen, causing a massive explosion which forces you to relent and release vicious tentacles with evil, bloody heads on your unsuspecting foes whilst your leg heals. Soon you are ripping apart fellow humans left, right and center while a mischievous cackling two-foot demonic minion pisses on their corpses.

If these two were brought together it would make the Darkness 3 Game of the Decade.