Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gods & Kings Super Sleuthing

Zulu

^ Third. They should save the Zulus for DLC release.

This expansion theme is about "Gods & Kings" ie. religion and leaders. As so, in my opinion, Menelik II of Ethiopia (Christianity) would suit very well. Also Ziebel of Khazars (Tengriism/Judaism), Solomon of Israel (Judaism) and Hayam Wuruk of Indonesia (Hinduism, Buddhism). Would be excellent choices.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDjinn View Post
    but, it doesn't seem that lean-y, and not sure if it's that 'remarkable' to be a wonder (The wonder is that it hasn't fallen over, not that they built something good).
    This reminded me of a post of mine some time ago. It's not too bad, though, it could still be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickSlicer View Post
    I want to see Ethiopia and Vietnam.
    Vietnam won't be in unfortunately for the same reason that we are supposing Portugal won't be a part of this expansion as both have CS in the new expansion screenshots: Hanoi and Lisbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Israelite76 View Post
    Vietnam won't be in unfortunately for the same reason that we are supposing Portugal won't be a part of this expansion as both have CS in the new expansion screenshots: Hanoi and Lisbon.
    They could always do what I've been suggesting for a while... build exclusion lists for CS and civs, so that civs are picked and then CS are picked that don't "clash" with the civs. Otherwise they'll be gradually reducing the pool of CS as new civs are added, it will get quite awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by tfordp View Post
    This reminded me of a post of mine some time ago. It's not too bad, though, it could still be in the game.
    Lol, true. It was on the box art.

Hanoi was in vanilla, so Vietnam IS a possibility, albeit an unlikely one.

I dunno about celebrating man's failure at engineering through the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Its famous, but for all the wrong reasons. I think there are plenty of better choices for a world wonder than that.

Vietnam is highly unlikely, but they can always tweak the city states a bit. I don't feel like they're set in stone. Portugal is more unlikely (at least at this juncture), because they are releasing Lisbon as part of the expansion itself. I personally believe that they will later remove Lisbon as a city state and offer Portugal as DLC.

Also Ziebel of Khazars (Tengriism/Judaism)
    I don't think the Khazars will ever be added. Even the vast majority of Jews don't know about them. It's ironic that they don't though, since the Khazars were probably the longest lasting and most successful Jewish state in history.

I will have to keep myself from choking a baby if the Zulu are not in.

QFT:
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyrtr View Post
    I sort of feel like we've gotten off track. I'd love to keep this thread on talking about what we know about the expansion, not about what we hope to have in the expansion.
    I haven't seen any 'sleuthing' in here for awhile just the same old wishlist-based commentary...

Well, there's no new info. All we have are the initial dribs and drabs of info, and some screenshots. But people are still excited and want to talk about it, and that's preferable to this forum turning back into the ghost town it was a couple weeks ago.
    Last edited by steveg700; 02-23-2012 at 05:35 AM.

I don't think the Khazars will ever be added. Even the vast majority of Jews don't know about them. It's ironic that they don't though, since the Khazars were probably the longest lasting and most successful Jewish state in history.

True. I really hope they would be included though. Kind of like as a new Civ for everyone to discover and learn about. They had really exciting history. Plus having Tengriism as the religion before converting to Judaism* and being on the crossroads of the Silk Road, they could (and should) get bonuses from the new Mercantile and Religious City States. *(In my opinion Judaism should not be the only thing which defines Khazars. They have a lot other qualities as well.)

"The Khazars were a superpower of their time and more than just a barbarian group, they actually made the transition from nomad to civilization better than many other groups and the height of their power the Khazar Khagan was recognized as the fourth great emperor along with the Frankish King, the Byzantine Emperor and the Caliph of Baghdad."
    Last edited by MARDUK; 02-22-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Removed by myself.
    Last edited by Israelite76; 02-23-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Vietnam is highly unlikely, but they can always tweak the city states a bit. I don't feel like they're set in stone. Portugal is more unlikely (at least at this juncture), because they are releasing Lisbon as part of the expansion itself. I personally believe that they will later remove Lisbon as a city state and offer Portugal as DLC.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwallyn View Post
    Hanoi was in vanilla, so Vietnam IS a possibility, albeit an unlikely one.
    Sigh.....please read my posts more carefully, I don't think that I am writing in Chinese.

I was concluding that neither Portugal nor Vietnam would be in THIS expansion, not ever... As Hanoi as well as Lisbon BOTH appear in screen shots of THIS new expansion it seems that BOTH CIVs, Portugal AND Vietnam, will not appear at this time.

This thread is about this current expansion only, and what will and will not be included from the information released so far and the articles written about it. I am 99.9% sure that Portugal will eventually released as a DLC and I am not excluding Vietnam from FUTURE DLCs - just this one.

I hope that makes this clear... phew!

I wasn't arguing with you Israelite. I was agreeing with you.

I don't know if the Khazars were Tengriists before converting to Judaism actually. I'll have to look into that. I do know that the Khazars were of Turkic stock and the Turks migrated from Central Asia. I don't know enough about Tengriism to comment on anything else. The Khazars were hugely important to Byzantine history and of some importance to Arabic history. I was always impressed with them, but there isn't much information about them, from what I understand, unfortunately.

@SlickSlicer

I know I have posted these links before, but I am pretty excited about the slim chance of Khazaria inclusion to CiV

Khazaria Khaganate 4481048
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars#Khazar_religion

Originally, the Khazars practiced traditional Turkic Tengriism, focused on the sky god Tengri, but were heavily influenced by Confucian ideas imported from China, notably that of the Mandate of Heaven. The Ashina clan were considered to be the chosen of Tengri and the kaghan was the incarnation of the favor the sky-god bestowed on the Turks. A kaghan who failed had clearly lost the god's favor and was typically ritually executed. Historians have sometimes wondered, only half in jest, whether the Khazar tendency to occasionally execute their rulers on religious grounds led those rulers to seek out other religions.

The Khazars revered a number of traditional divinities subordinate to Tengri, including the fertility divinity Umay, Kuara, a thunder divinity, and Erlik, the divinity of underworld.

Conversion of the royalty and aristocracy to Judaism (continued.)

If anyone is interested to learn more about Khazars. Here are some links definitely worth to check out:

http://www.khazaria.com/
    http://198.62.75.1/www2/koestler/
    http://www.apfn.org/thewinds/library/khazars.html

I think that Khazars would be a worthy edition and I would like to play as Bulan, one of the first fully tolerant monarchs.

Although having a 'Jewish-led' kingdom at this point in human history with the spread of Islam and Christianity, is quite an incredible thing, the religious freedom extended to all its people during the 'Dark Ages' is more significant to me and something that could be incorporated into its character.

Great thread.

My money's on Ethiopia. The expansion seems to emphasize religion (and is called GODS and Kings). Ethiopia's religious significance fits into that so well. I actually think they're more likely than the Zulu. The Khazars aren't well known enough.

We already have a lot of european civs (although european dominant representation is kind of expected in these games), but Africa is severely under-represented right now.

South America could use another civ too, since the Inca are DLC exclusive. The same goes for Oceania with the Polynesian civ.

I'd be interested in seeing the Majapahut, but I doubt it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wingednosering View Post
    The Khazars aren't well known enough.
    Please check out my idea in the 50+ Civilization Civ5 thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...on-Civ5/page38

I'd like to address the issue that certain awesome civs no one knows anything about. If these civs were known about, we would see them a lot more in games, and be able to read more about them in history books that would be all about them.

Quote Originally Posted by wingednosering View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the Majapahut, but I doubt it'll happen.
    The Majapahit were in a scenario for Civ 3, and are certainly worthy enough...I'd say there's at least a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg700 View Post
    Well, there's no new info. All we have are the initial dribs and drabs of info, and some screenshots. But people are still excited and want to talk about it, and that's preferable to this forum turning back into the ghost town it was a couple weeks ago.
    So do it in another thread! There's plenty to choose from or you even create a new one.

Interesting how folks try to keep pushing the same civ's--Ethiopia and Majapahit, notably--but nobody really has any ideas about their unique abilities should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Please check out my idea in the 50+ Civilization Civ5 thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...on-Civ5/page38.
    Might want to reference a specific page. It's too long to find anything that isn't on page one.

It's nice and all keeping my thread close to the top, but it would be nice to discuss things about info on the expansion, or reasoning on how things in the expansion might work based on what we know -- NOT who the final 4 Civs will be.

To answer Steveg's question, it's kind of a conversation that's been had several times over the last year or so, and we've talked about for instance the Majapahit's pig banks or Ethiopia's inclusions of all three Abrahamic faiths... It's just stuff that's been hashed over before. If you want to rekindle the conversation on that, make a new thread, or join in on the conversation in a few of the other threads going on right now.

But it's like one person says "I'd like this Civ" and then its 3 more pages of wish-listing. So lets keep this about news updates and trying to reason out game mechanics.

Any update on a possible Tower of Pisa wonder? I forget who said it but its pretty true the only thing wondrous about it is that it hasn't fallen over yet. What would it do? Give you -1 Great Engineer Points?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrtr View Post
    Any update on a possible Tower of Pisa wonder? I forget who said it but its pretty true the only thing wondrous about it is that it hasn't fallen over yet. What would it do? Give you -1 Great Engineer Points?
    LOL. Well, it's a campanile next to a cathedral, so perhaps it will be a faith building. It's a miracle it hasn't fallen over.

Might want to reference a specific page. It's too long to find anything that isn't on page one.
    I did...It's on the page I liked to, just scroll down and under one of my posts I discuss a "Brilliant idea".

It's nice and all keeping my thread close to the top, but it would be nice to discuss things about info on the expansion, or reasoning on how things in the expansion might work based on what we know -- NOT who the final 4 Civs will be.
    Fair enough. Do we know how Kings will play into the expansion yet? We have a fair bit of info on religion, but I haven't seen anything mentioned about monarchies or policies tailored towards them.

The Celts and Maya were both widespread collections of smaller nations (almost like city-states). Although these smaller nations could be considered 'kingdoms', I wouldn't say either of them had clear kings/queens. Carthage and the Netherlands both had/have kings and queens though.

I can't imagine they would have put "Kings" into the title of the expansion simply because two of the new civilizations have/had a heredital monarchy in place. I would guess this could give us clues regarding the other civilizations we can expect and/or other gameplay changes that haven't been revealed.

The section of history that the Netherlands seems to be aimed at suggests it's the United Provinces Netherlands, not the modern-day Kingdom. I doubt the Netherlands will have anything to do with the Kings part of the expansion.

Also, it's not that hard. The Kings part of the name gives little away - all the other civs we've proposed (other than modern-day nations) have had monarchies sometime in their past. If 'Kings' simply refers to a hereditary leader, than all of the civilisations in the game have had one at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by MARDUK

This expansion theme is about "Gods & Kings" ie. religion and leaders. As so, in my opinion, Menelik II of Ethiopia (Christianity) would suit very well. Also Ziebel of Khazars (Tengriism/Judaism), Solomon of Israel (Judaism) and Hayam Wuruk of Indonesia (Hinduism, Buddhism). Would be excellent choices.
    That is an excellent idea. Although I'd propose King David instead of Solomon, wealth and wisdom of Solomon not withstanding. Hayam Wuruk is pretty much the de-facto leader of the Majahapit because he ruled during the empire's Golden Age. Khazars sound interesting, although they are barely known, so they may not make it...Ethiopia will almost certainly be in the game at some point or other. They were in BTS and are too important to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Gate of Mordor View Post
    If 'Kings' simply refers to a hereditary leader, than all of the civilisations in the game have had one at one point.
    I wouldn't say all the civilizations have had hereditary leaders. I know it's the obvious example, but America has never had such that I know of. You could argue since sons of past leaders were also president, however it's completely different than a true monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
    I wouldn't say all the civilizations have had hereditary leaders. I know it's the obvious example, but America has never had such that I know of. You could argue since sons of past leaders were also president, however it's completely different than a true monarch.
    The United States doesn't have an official "hereditary rule" in the sense that individuals are permitted to "rule by birthright", but the country has always had a firmly-entrenched aristocratic "political class" that is determined greatly by the wealth and privilege of the family rather than the achievements of the individual. Just look at the Kennedys and the Bushes. Is there anyone in either of those families who isn't in politics?
    Last edited by MegaBearsFan; 02-27-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: We just have a much higher turnover rate than actual monarchies.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaBearsFan View Post
    The United States doesn't have an official "hereditary rule" in the sense that individuals are permitted to "rule by birthright", but the country has always had a firmly-entrenched aristocratic "political class" that is determined greatly by the wealth and privilege of the family rather than the achievements of the individual. Just look at the Kennedys and the Bushes. Is there anyone in either of those families who isn't in politics?
    Well, America has wealthy families, but being born rich isn't the same as being an aristocrat. Moreover, JFK and the Bushes didn't inherit their political offices by divine right. They were elected to them.

LOL. Well, it's a campanile next to a cathedral, so perhaps it will be a faith building. It's a miracle it hasn't fallen over.
    Ha ha you clever you. However, remember that Galilei supposedly used the leaning tower to disprove Aristotel's theory of falling objects, so it might also have a science relation.

Which brings me readily on to another question. Currently, we have the "Porcelain Tower" wonder that gives huge Science bonus. However, curiously, when I read about the Porcelain tower on wikipedia (having no knowledge of this building before), there seems to be no relation of this building with science what-so-ever. So, did someone confuse these two towers with each other when making the game (being that the Leaning Tower is also pretty prominent on the game pack), or is there just something I don't know?

Quote Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
    Ha ha you clever you. However, remember that Galilei supposedly used the leaning tower to disprove Aristotel's theory of falling objects, so it might also have a science relation.
    That's a good point. It could have the wondrous power of causing one's balls to drop suddenly.

Which brings me readily on to another question. Currently, we have the "Porcelain Tower" wonder that gives huge Science bonus. However, curiously, when I read about the Porcelain tower on wikipedia (having no knowledge of this building before), there seems to be no relation of this building with science what-so-ever. So, did someone confuse these two towers with each other when making the game (being that the Leaning Tower is also pretty prominent on the game pack), or is there just something I don't know?
    I've wondered about that myself. Many wonders have fairly dubious effects. I also find wonders that are esentially cities unto themselves (Chichen Itza, Angkor Wat) to be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MARDUK View Post

Provided they do end up adding the Zulu, I have to agree.

Indonesia is known for its very large Muslim population...Besides, I think we agreed to call that civ the "Majapahit". At least, that was their Golden Age, as well as the fact that the Majapahit were in a main scenario for Civ 3.

I've wondered about that myself. Many wonders have fairly dubious effects. I also find wonders that are esentially cities unto themselves (Chichen Itza, Angkor Wat) to be a bad idea.
    What about Machu Picchu? For the city itself, the Incas just have Machu. It makes me wonder what they're going to call Chichen Itza (they can't ignore it. It was one of the most influencial Mayan cities after the classical age). Are they calling it Chichen?

Pouakai found this and posted it in the G&K announcement thread. Thought I might add it here so it can be added to the main list by Zephyrtr

Quote Originally Posted by Pouakai View Post
    Mightyape.co.nz now has a pre-order feature for G&K. Their release date is 25 May 2012, NZ time, for $49.99 NZ

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/P...ings/19757514/

According to said page, there are the following as-yet unheard of features:

Establish embassies at foreign courts for closer ties (or clandestine operations
    •New Wonders: There will be 9 new Wonders with all new effects including Neuschwanstein, the Great Mosque of Djenne, the Terracotta Army, the Great Firewall, and the Hubble Space Telescope.

Not sure sure about the Great Firewall myself, sounds like it'd be controversial. Nonetheless, a good espionage wonder per chance?

Link to original post

Also, anandus at CFC found this:

http://www.webhallen.com/spel/pc/149...gods_and_kings

Expanded Epic Game: The core game experience has been greatly expanded with the addition of new technologies (like Combined Arms), 27 new units (like the new 1-hex ranged unit Machine Gunner), 13 new buildings (like the Bomb Shelter), and 9 new Wonders (see below). Additionally, there are even more new units and buildings included in the four new Scenarios for modders to use.

• New Civilizations: The expansion will deliver 9 new civilizations, such as Carthage, Netherlands, the Celts, and the Maya (it is 2012, after all), along with their unique traits, units and buildings. The expansion also includes 9 new leaders including William I, Prince of Orange, Boudicca and Pacal the Great.

• Religion: A righteous people will seek out Faith to found a Pantheon of the Gods. As your Faith becomes stronger, you can cultivate Great Prophets who build on these simple beliefs to create a religion that you can customize and enhance as desired. Are you tolerant of other religions or is this the one true faith? Are you focused on Gold, Arts or Military? Beliefs can even unlock custom buildings that only people of your religion can construct. Great prophets, missionaries and inquisitors help you spread your beliefs to other lands and gain the alliances of City States, and like-minded civilizations.

• Enhanced Diplomacy and Espionage: Establish embassies at foreign courts for closer ties (or clandestine operations). As the religions of the world start settling in, and the world moves into the Renaissance, you unlock your first spy (with more to come). Send them out to establish surveillance of foreign cities, steal advanced technologies from your strongest or wisest competitors, or interfere with city-state alliances. All of your actions can have a diplomatic impact if discovered, so always tread carefully.

• City-States: Two new city-state types have been added (Mercantile and Religious) to bring all new advantages to the table. The city-state quest system has received a complete overhaul to decrease the importance of gold and add a whole range of new quests that further the narrative of the game, as well as make the diplomatic victory a more varied option. Ally with Marrakech to get access to their unique luxury resources! Vatican City and Jerusalem are holy cities that play key roles in the religious struggle.

• World Domination: The fight for world domination is now more dynamic than ever before. The Gods and Kings expansion features a reworked combat system and AI that puts more emphasis on a balanced army composition. The new system allows your lines to stand longer than they could before, so you, as a player, can make smarter tactical decisions without worrying about a single unlucky roll of the dice.

• Naval Combat: Your navy is now split into two different ship types, melee and ranged. This means that no coastal city should be considered safe, and can now fall to a surprise naval attack. Additionally, all embarked units now have Defensive Embarkation, and can stack with a naval unit for extra protection. Add to this the new Great Admiral, and the high seas have become a much more dangerous place.

• New Wonders: There will be 9 new Wonders with all new effects including Neuschwanstein, the Great Mosque of Djenne, the Terracotta Army, the Great Firewall, and the Hubble Space Telescope.

• Three new Scenarios:
    o Medieval: Grow your medieval kingdom into one of the great nations of Renaissance Europe, fending off outside invasions from Mongols and Ottoman Turks and fighting the religious wars of the Crusades and Reformation!
    o Fall of Rome: Play as either Eastern Rome or Western Rome trying to fend off the barbarians OR as one of the barbarians themselves.
    o Empires of the Smoky Skies: Build flying airships and huge tractor-like tanks from the unique tech tree of this Victorian science-fiction scenario, and use them to spread your empire across the pre-industrial world.
    Lots of new info here, I paritcularily like that Merchantiles have unique Luxuries
    Last edited by Pouakai; 02-29-2012 at 08:58 AM.

That's cool that the Machine Gun is a 1-Hex ranged unit as it didn't make much sense as a volleying attack. I suppose that just means it doesn't take damage while attacking.

Can we assume that the bomb shelter is defense against nukes?

Whelp there goes my hopes of a Moroccan Civ!

Random thoughts time!

-Was it just me or did anyone else notice that land units at sea can stack with naval units??? That's pretty huge, considering they already have defensive embarkation.

-Could inquisitors possibly remove a foreign/unwanted religion from a city? That was something I kinda missed from Civ IV. Inevitably, one far flung city would get some random religion from another country and then said country would angrily demand I switch to their faith based on the one tiny village of mine that actually follows it.

-Isn't there already a bomb shelter that unlocks with the completion of the Manhattan Project, or am I confusing that with Civ IV?

-The unique luxuries for mercantile City States is a huge incentive to befriend them. I wonder if the current City State types will get similar treatment....

-What exactly will a great admiral do? It can't be just like a general, since you obviously can't drop forts at sea.

-Israel is clearly out if Jerusalem is in as a City State.

-Will the machine gunner have to set up before attacking, or can it melee attack as well? 1 range seems rather short, considering artillery has 3 range and the gunner only has 2 movement.

Well Machinegunners are obviously defensive units. 60 strength is pretty nasty for the industrial era. They only have one penalty shown on our screenshot, and that's probably "cannot melee attack" so maybe they won't have to set up to attack? That would make sense if they're meant to be ranged units, not siege units.

Also, no, there's no bomb shelter currently in Civ 5.

"In 1483, the Portuguese explorer Diogo Co sailed up the uncharted Congo River, finding Kongo villages and becoming the first European to encounter the Kongo kingdom.[9] During his visit, Co left his men in Kongo while taking Kongo nobles and bringing them to Portugal. He returned with the Kongo nobles in 1485. At that point the ruling king, Nzinga a Nkuwu, converted to Christianity" (Wikipedia)
    Do you think that Kongo can match with the religious theme of this expansion?

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast