Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Problem on First Part

Graphics Problem on First Part

I just bought this game during the Steam sale, so I start it up. As I get to the main menu, I notice I have no cursor. I think it's no big deal, so I start up the game. After it goes through the cut scene, the part where you swim through the water comes up, and there is no water. All I can see is a flashing red light and fire. I've checked my computer specs and the requirements, so my computer should be able to run it, even though it's a older computer. I've restarted my computer and redownloaded the game but it still doesn't work. How do I fix this?

It's Bioshock 1, by the way. Forgot to say that.

You don't have a Shader Model 3 graphics card. The minimum for Bioshock is EITHER an Ati X1300 and up excluding the X1550 OR an nVidia 6600 and up. Google "Shadershock" and you may find a community patch - it moves around an awful lot - that'll give Bioshock decent, but not quite Shader Model 3, graphics on older cards.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 6800. I went and checked the site and it said it had Shader Model 3.

Do you have the latest drivers for it? Get them: here. Because the symptoms you described? That is exactly what you get when you don't have a Shader Model 3 card.

I'll download the drivers and then I'll see.

Ok, post back with the results!

Well I couldn't download the drivers. When I downloaded the installer and it started up, it said, "Can not find compatible hardware." What do I do?

Are you a laptop or a desktop?

Fill out this questionnaire:

CPU :
    Windows Version :
    Memory:
    DirectX Version :
    Graphics Card Name :
    Graphics Card Memory :
    Graphics Card Driver Date & Version :
    Sound Card Name:
    Sound Card Driver Date & Version :

To find this information, hold down the Windows key and press R. Then in the Run dialog that pops up type "dxdiag" without the quotes and press Enter. All the above information will be in the various DirectX Diagnostic program's tabs.

Desktop

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.4 GHz
    Windows Version: Windows XP
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0
    Graphics Card Name: nVidia GeForce 6800
    Graphics Card Memory:256 MB
    Garphics Card Driver Date & Version: 2/9/2006 & 6.12.0010.6601
    Sound Card Name: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [C8C0]
    Sound Card Driver Date & Version: 8/13/2009 & 6.00.0001.1371

Crappy computer, I know, but don't hate. xD

Try this driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2...ql-driver.html

It's for Windows XP 32-bit which is what you should be. The driver date on your graphics card is waay out of date. Hopefully the above driver will work. Your driver is so old that it is even older than Bioshock which is an issue as both Ati and nVidia drivers had to be updated after Bioshock was released to work properly with it.

I asked if you were a laptop or not because if you were then those usually require modified drivers. I would have sent you here:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

(Don't go there - you're a desktop part). LaptopVideo2Go get's newer nVidia drivers running on laptops that the manufacturer hasn't released current drivers for. If you install them then you usually lose power management functions so your battery doesn't last as long.

But, back to your desktop, we need to get your desktop video driver up to something current. Try the direct link I gave first. Hopefully that driver will install on your desktop.

By the way, you do have up to Service Pack 3 installed for Windows XP right? If not go to Windows Update (in Internet Explorer) and download everything it offers until all the Service Packs come through.

Also, you do have DirectX 9.0c right? You listed 9.0. If not, download this redistributable:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=8109

Run it, choose a place to extract it's files, go to that location and run DXSETUP.

Thanks, I'll try everything you said, and see if it works.

Ok, post back with the results!

Here we go again. The driver installer did the exact same thing it did last time, what do I do now?

Also, when I went to the Windows Update sight, when I clicked on the high-priority updates, it says, "Cannot display the webpage..." I don't know why so much stuff isn't working, it's getting really annoying.

I don't know what to do right now. These things really should be just working. On the driver link I gave, look in the "supported" tab: a 6800 - all variants - is there, so that driver really should be working. Also, Windows Update again really should be working. I honestly have no idea why these aren't working.

Keep trying Windows Update - perhaps this is just a hiccup on Microsoft's end. As for the driver - perhaps, just perhaps - it'll install once your Windows is fully up-to-date. Especially if you haven't installed any Service Packs from Microsoft as the driver may depend on having those installed.

Is this the right site to update Windows XP? http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us Just making sure. BTW, thank you for all the help. Even if it doesn't work, I greatly appreciate it.

AND FINALLY, I have DirectX 9.0c. YAY! Something worked for once. :P

You're welcome.

To get to Windows Update on XP you launch Internet Explorer. The way to get to it is slightly different depending on which version of IE you have on your computer. Regardless of version it will be in one of the menus - not a web-site you go to. Look first in the "Tools" menu. When you click that hopefully you'll see a "Windows Update" option near the bottom. Another possible spot for Windows Update is in the "Safety" menu - if you have a later version of IE. If IE's menu bar isn't showing then press and release the "Alt" key to display them.

I'm a bit hoping that once Windows is up to date then the graphics driver will work. It's a small hope - hope it works!

Yup, it's still doing the same thing...

This is so FRUSTRATING!

Windows Update should be giving you an error code when it fails. Highlight that error code, copy it, paste it here, and also Google the error code. Hopefully it'll be something simple to fix.

Error number: 0x80070424

Go here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968002

In the "Fix it" section click on the "Run now" link. When Internet Explorer asks what to do with the file then run it. If your browser just saves it somewhere then go to where it was saved and run that.

Reboot your computer.

Try Windows Update again after you do that. Also, once Windows Update is working the general procedure is: install everything it offers. Reboot if necessary, check again - install everything it offers again. Basically, you keep checking everything even after you already installed everything it said was available. You do this because some updates don't appear until others have been installed. So, install everything - everything. Once you're up to Service Pack 3 then there's some more updates after that too. When ALL the updates are applied then we'll try to install your graphics driver then.

Now the forums are screwing up.

So, now I can't post very long messages on here now.

I'll post things in short messages.

This popped up, when I went to install Service Pack 3.

So, I can post anything I want without the message that popped up in the error, but whenever I put it in a reply, it won't let me post it.
    Last edited by Codex; 03-22-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Its blocking your posts because you have a relatively new account and it's getting caught in the spam filter. If your post disappears again, shoot me a PM and I will try to fix it.

Sorry for being spammy, I was a bit mad.

Where are you now in the process of installing all the Windows' Updates? If you've completed them have you now tried to install your graphics driver again?

I haven't been able to download the updates. The error code is something like, "This file is already running, close the other instance of this file and retry."

Try rebooting the computer first. Since you have some updates how about trying to reinstall the graphics driver again? The graphics driver is what we want to get installed, once that is installed then we'll try Bioshock again. Everything else is just leading up to trying to install the graphics driver.

The only one that isn't downloading is Service Pack 3. And, I have tried to download the drivers, and it still doesn't work.

Now, I have a even bigger problem that doesn't even have to do with Bioshock. Whenever I click play on one of my games, it shows the launch thing, that goes away, then nothing pops up.

If I was in your position I'd just reinstall the entire computer. It sounds like there are multiple issues going on. For one, updating to Service Pack 3 should just work. Just work: keep installing updates and it will eventually offer and install SP3. Then not being able to install your graphics driver, again, should just work.

How long has it been since you did a full reinstall? Keeping in mind that doing that is a lot of work, Windows itself isn't that much to reinstall and fully update, but, then you have to reinstall and fully update all your other software too.

I know how to find the Service Pack 3 and download it, just when I go to install it, it keeps popping up with the error code I said above.

You said: "This file is already running, close the other instance of this file and retry."

What is the exact error message and does it give an error number as well? Post exactly what both say.

I can't put in the whole file name because it is getting caught in the spam filter. The last part of the file that it says you should close is, "ntoskrnl.exe"

That seems to indicate something severely misconfigured in your machine.

You can try to run the Service Pack 3 installer in "Safe Mode." To get into Safe Mode repeatedly press F8 while the computer is booting. When you do that it will offer a boot menu, one of the items is safe mode. But, really, if that doesn't work you should be looking at a clean reinstall of Windows, update that all the way to Service Pack 3 as the first thing you do, then install your latest graphics driver, audio driver, network driver, and so on, and then install your applications and games once that base is built.

Something else to try is to disable any anti-virus you may have running when you try to install Service Pack 3.

I tried safe mode, and no matter what I do. When I go to install it, I can't get internet.

There is "Safe Mode" and "Safe Mode with networking." You need to choose "with networking" if you need Internet access.

As an alternative, you can download the full installer here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ylang=en&id=24

And that hopefully will install in either safe mode.

I tried the Safe Mode with Networking and I got into Windows Update and got a error number. So I looked it up, and someone said, that no matter what you do, you can't run Windows Update in safe mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast