Thread: Become a SCivCast Regular Co-Host

Lightbulb Become a SCivCast Regular Co-Host

Are you interested in being a voice behind a Civilization: World podcast? SCivCast (SC, the podcast for Civ on social media apart of the PolyCast family of such shows, is looking to re-initiate its offering to the gaming community. SC owner Dan "DanQ" Quick is looking for 3-4 individuals to serve as a regular co-hosts to discuss news, forum talk, strategy and more all about CivWorld intended to entertain and inform the game to its listenership.

The show launched in January; based on discussion between "DanQ" and its then-panel, and feedback from the Civ community, the decision was made to start anew. A commitment to be apart of recording five episodes during the remainder of the 2012 calendar year is required using Skype to converse with one another to make the recordings. As a result of this shift, the show's second episode is to be released in April as opposed to March as originally planned. If you are interested and available to be apart of the SCivCast regular panel, send "DanQ" a private message including a general outline of week-to-week availability (e.g. day(s), time of day(s) and timezone) on/by March 21, 2012.

SCivCast is the fourth spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling ModCast focuses on Civ modding, RevCast on Civilization: Revolution and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Paging ShuShu....

Quote Originally Posted by wwjdfakb View Post
    Paging ShuShu....
    To confirm, no interest expressed to me as of yet.

A new house to repair, A new house to move into, a story to finish, a brother to house, and a March Madness pool to run and now I have to go figure out who this Skype guy is?

Commitments outside of my family are actually very scary things for me, but I would like to help this venture if I can. I am holding off on the private chat message until I am sure I will be able to follow through.

Just to return the favor, I wonder if an interview with the youngest known player to win a game of civWorld might be an interesting topic? hehehe.

(P.S. I mean by age, not behavior)

How much is the pay? I might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ShuShu62 View Post
    Commitments outside of my family are actually very scary things for me, but I would like to help this venture if I can. I am holding off on the private chat message until I am sure I will be able to follow through.
    I understand where you are coming from in this respect.

Just to return the favor, I wonder if an interview with the youngest known player to win a game of civWorld might be an interesting topic? hehehe.

(P.S. I mean by age, not behavior)
    Are we referring to yourself in the third person per chance?

If you were to become a regular co-host, than yes I could see the other regular co-hosts interview you and indeed each other as a brief "Q&A" for the audience to get to know each of you better.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjimoron View Post
    How much is the pay? I might be interested.
    Fair inquiry. There is no pay -- it is all on a volunteer basis.

Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    Are we referring to yourself in the third person per chance?
    now I am sure I clearly said by age not behavior. I am old enough to be intimidated by Skype . No I recently played in a game where a 12 year old won. WWJDFAKB knows said 12 year old.

now I am sure I clearly said by age not behavior. I am old enough to be intimidated by Skype .
    I'm not familiar with your age, or age range even, but anyone can be intimidated by any product, service, thing -- what have you -- particularly when they're not acquainted with it at least. Here's a link to the service's website, and the software is free to use. If you have any experience with other Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications, or even Instant Messaging (IM) software, you will already be on your way to establishing a comfort level as Skype incorporates both.

I do agree that behaviour, not age, is a greater measure of a person.

Post Update

I am encouraged to be able to report that an interested party has expressed interest in being apart of the effort to revitalize this show, but there is still much more to do including finding 1-2 others to join this person. As such, though March 21st has come and gone, if you are still interested and available to be apart of this panel send me a PM to that effect.

Hey uh, some of you better check your private messages, because I am about to start twisting some arms...

Hey uh, some of you better check your private messages...
    Indeed.

We have two people who have agreed to be apart of the new panel, but are in need of at least 1 more so that SCivCast's second episode can be recorded. With it scheduled to be released on April 21st, time is ever more of the essence.

When are you wanting to do the recording?

Update

I believe that three regular co-hosts have been secured, as well as a guest co-host for SCivCast's second episode. Hopefully, it can be recorded in sufficient time for me to edit it for its presently scheduled release date of April 21st.

While I have contacted these individuals privately to the above effect, certainly there is an ongoing effort to put together a list of further guest possibilities and possibly the addition of one more regular co-host.

I believe that three regular co-hosts have been secured, as well as a guest co-host for SCivCast's second episode. Hopefully, it can be recorded in sufficient time for me to edit it for its presently scheduled release date of April 21st.

While I have contacted these individuals privately to the above effect, certainly there is an ongoing effort to put together a list of further guest possibilities and possibly the addition of one more regular co-host.
    Can't wait to hear the new episode...

The recording is in the can, now it is under the editor's knife.

Just some teasers...

random_user has a new name: The Professor.
    We will have to wait and see whether the podcast will get a PG or PG-13 rating: Boobs were involved
    This was all a plot by the Weather Goddess to keep us occupied while she played the market: She bought 100 silks while we were podding.

Smile Second Episode Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by jlyons264 View Post
    Can't wait to hear the new episode...
    The recording is in the can, now it is under the editor's knife.

The ultimate result of that effort has now been realized with the release of the second episode of SCivCast with a completely new panel of regular co-hosts as well as the show's first guest.

My wife says the professor needs to be a regular... personally, I have to agree... Insert peer pressure: <here>

My wife says the professor needs to be a regular... personally, I have to agree... Insert peer pressure: <here>
    Well, that would start with him starting to play the game again I do believe.

Nah, It will be a long time until the game catches up with him. Even with his strategy post on this forum. Most top players do not appreciate the full power of what he does. Besides, there is still that challenge against the Nazgul we are going to pressure him into.

Besides, there is still that challenge against the Nazgul we are going to pressure him into.
    Now that requires him playing again at least. [Where's a mischievous smilie for these forums? I'd rather not embed one from another...]

I'd be happy to chat again if the CivWorld situation hasn't changed significantly such that what I know wouldn't be relevant. In terms of playing again, like I said, imo it just comes down to who can spend the most time online... I'm not really interested in doing a 12 hr sprint with a couple of friends with no breaks just to try and win a game... though I guess it might be sort of amusing to blow 13,000 food worth of wall posts in the first 15 minutes of the game.... ok not really.

Quote Originally Posted by random user View Post
    I'd be happy to chat again if the CivWorld situation hasn't changed significantly such that what I know wouldn't be relevant.
    Fair enough. [Now calling for a 'cheers' smilie...]

My take having watched the current game ist that it is more like a 20 hour sprint follwed by a 4-5 hour race before it is over.

Also, it is not a sprint to win a game, it is a sprint to prove Miracle working is viable in a guild game, just as I will someday have to play to prove infiltration is a viable strategy.

FYI 13K worth of food posts won't be enough... and the Nazgul do not rely on banked wall posts, but I am sure they would be willing to spot you those...

I think we could end the game in 12 hours. And if you consider that when I stopped I had about 13k of food posts banked, how many maze moves and culture swaps do you think I had banked? Not to mention given a week or two of notice how many more could be generated?

It's been a long time now, but you may or may not remember that I was the one that pointed out how to win by using the quit-rejoin exploit in 24 hours. And that was by myself. And I slept -- it wasn't 23 hours of play time. Wall spam is basically the same thing in sufficient quantities, and with two teammates instead of doing it by myself, along with the willingness to spend civbucks, I'm pretty confident we could end the game in 12 hours. I'm not sure we'd be able to win it, because that would depend on how stiff the competition is, but I think it would be over one way or another.

You'd have to adjust the strategy to use more maze moves and less voyage of discovery. Burn culture swaps near the start to generate great people instead of biding your time to buy it on the open market (since they won't be cheap anyway). Have a slew of friends available in case you need to generate a new civ.

If If If...

you are confident you cannot be beaten, nazgul are confident their strategy is the one true strategy.

The good of the game needs to prove that you are both wrong.

I think you will find most of your banked links have expired and that accumulating a new bank is not as easy as you remember.

If If If...

you are confident you cannot be beaten, nazgul are confident their strategy is the one true strategy.

The good of the game needs to prove that you are both wrong.

I think you will find most of your banked links have expired and that accumulating a new bank is not as easy as you remember.
    First of all, I never said it was an unbeatable strategy. Second, what part of "I'm not sure we'd be able to win it, because that would depend on how stiff the competition is, but I think it would be over one way or another." suggested that I felt we could not be beaten.

And most my my banked links haven't expired because they are old enough that most people can't find them, and/or from people who do not have an extended network who still play, many of which are RL friends (and would probably find it amusing), and could be persuaded to help me bank some links if I asked them to.

And if nothing else I could probably ask some people who normally do post to refrain from posting to the general public (since you can just post to specific lists so only a subset of your friends see those links) for a week or two to help me in such a game.

But again, I don't really consider that fun at all. It's just who spends more time. Which doesn't show any skill at all.

Sheesh....

Both you and Nazgul believe that your approaches are the best approach not the only approach. That is a good thing, no need to be defensive about that.

I think unlimited wall posting is easily fixable with a simple stipulation that teams can only use the clickme's they generate in game or not even use them at all. The guild games have not implemented that because click me hoarding much like civBuck farming are skills that guilds appear to enjoy practicing. It has become more of a skill now as they do time expirie, and only generate daily. I appreciate the appeal of that skillset, and it is interesting to see the different approaches to doing it, but my lack of skills in this area are why I am not a viable guild player.

But you need to understand that unlike your demonstrations in open games, you will not be the only player playing that game in a guild match. It is reasonable to assume click me and civbuck hoarding will be evenly matched...

If that is so, which wins?
    Miracle Working or Tech stripping?

Is it even a fair fight?

At some point I will probably haveto test out whether infiltration is a viable strategy in a guild game and I probably am a reasonable representative for that skillset, but I am not a strong enough practitioner to represent miracle working. That is why I am recruiting you for the task, because right now, the Guild games are all locked into the same tiny box the Nazgul play, and I want to show, the game has not become as limited to a single strategy as common opinion currently holds.

I don't think that there is any single approach that works. You've labeled my strategy as miracle working, but I would not. I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to by tech stripping, but my strategy counts on having a strong tech lead as well. In an open game, which is most games, I would use the strategy that I outlined in my thread. But every strategy needs to be tailored to the specific circumstance.

If I were in a serious guild game, I would most likely posit that the game would be over before 20 hours, and therefore production besides some basic infrastructure requirements would be useless. So I would would focus almost entirely on science. Is that considered tech stripping?

And I would expect that the Nazgul utilize wonder events as they come up and cycle when it's appropriate as well. If not, then that's something that would complement their strategy, not oppose it.

Is infiltration a viable strategy? Most likely so. But I don't know if you want to go there. I could post just about as long of a thread on "dirty" tricks to advance a small group, using scouts and sacrificial players and the like. But then you've completely changed the game into something else, which may be fun for a small set, but most people would most likely get pissed off.

I'm not sure if you want people to continue to enjoy the game they are playing that you want to go down that path because you've fundamentally changed the game (PvE with some PvP elements to hardcore PvP).

It has become more of a skill now as they do time expirie, and only generate daily.
    Are you sure they expire? I just tried a link from several months ago and I got the bonus text. And you can get some links to appear more frequently...

I am not sure... I am not expert on them, I probably missinterpretted a conversation regarding that

They can only be used 10 times before they expire, but it's not based on time, I'm pretty sure, at least based on my successfully getting a link to work which is very very very old.

[QUOTE=ShuShu62;1534540]If If If...

The good of the game needs to prove that you are both wrong.]

But they have been proved wrong..........................

I don't think you should put them so high on the pedstal

Just if we assume that those spam will expire in 10 clicks (and never expires),
    then my rough calculation is ; the most effective number of person in a team is also 10 ? (consider if they all active players)
    am I right or wrong , mathematically ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bierhoff20 View Post
    Just if we assume that those spam will expire in 10 clicks (and never expires),
    then my rough calculation is ; the most effective number of person in a team is also 10 ? (consider if they all active players)
    am I right or wrong , mathematically ?
    I believe the word you are looking for is efficient...More people = more posts - more effective, but efficiency decreases after the... 11th person. ; (one to post, 10 to click)

Quote Originally Posted by gd8man View Post

But they have been proved wrong..........................

I don't think you should put them so high on the pedstal

That is rhe very reason the Proffessor has been so skittish everytime I said that. Nothing is certain in life, and even John Wooden lost a game. Beating the best is an accomplishment, but you need to be able to consistently reproduce your results before you can claim that their strategy is not dominant.