Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: soldier nationalities?

Just tossing my opinion into the ring, but I'd think that, as a callback to the original, recruits would possibly be from the funding nations from the first game, while with this new game, the nations may have been shuffled about so some of the original funding nations from '93 are no longer funding, while new ones have stepped up to take their place.

And, while X-COM has always been billed as an international force, I can see them taking 'seeds' from National Special-ops forces, as they'd already have the training on squad-level actions, and, in general, be in the top five percent of military skill. Having XCOM be the elite of the elite tickles my fancy, and it makes the game feel more desperate when the Xenos are glad-handing your troops until you can turn the tables on them.

One exception is that the nation is notorious knife and HTH fighters... not a mod expert but that would require special animation sequence.

The Vatican can cast out the demon of mind control

Not well versed on the history of New Zealand but they can use the hypnotism of their "vacation new zealand" commercials to prevent cites from becoming terror sights in their country

....South Africa?...Really?...You sure?...Our flag and everything?...We're not just mercenary cannon fodder?...

WE MADE IT, MA!! WOOOHOOO!! TOP OF THE WORLD BABY!!!

I wonder what would happen if you get too many soldiers belonging to a particular funding nation's country killed? Would their opinion/stance on your organization change because you get way too many of their people killed in battle (as in contribute to the monthly report score)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjursan View Post
    As a swedish citizen i feel its sad we are not represented in this game.

Why?

Well we sweds have one of the most advanced armies in the world. Although it is very smal.
    Also one of the worlds top exporters of weapons and military hardware.
    And if history counts in we have been a super power and today we are considerd to be a economic giant.
    It just seems logical (for me) to include us swedes, and as im thinking Norway is equal to us swedes.
    I dont think we will be represented in the game bit it would be fun as our services are wanted by many.
    I would be happy to take the Swedes with me.
    If anyone know anything about advanced warfare, you would definitely take these boys... Welcome aboard!!
    Last edited by rharris; 06-25-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

I don't know in what video (a recent one I think) but Jake did mention the number of countries soldiers can come from ("cast summon community find spell"). Believe it was about 25-ish....not sure though.

Also.... go Swedes! We need lots of "-sson" names in the XCOM ranks. =)

Mexico makes an appearance at :51 into the e3 trailer.

Israel is at :51 of this video.

As far as the Yemen vs. Egypt debate... first of all that IS the Yemeni flag, Egypt's has that eagle in the middle. And the soldier's name is Hamza Mansoor, which is a VERY COMMON Yemeni name and of Arabic origin. It could also be a flag of a United Arab Republic as it's a common design in Arab nationalism.

Just made a long post that didn't go through... anyways in the E3 videos I saw the flags of a few more countries.

Mexico, Israel and Scotland. The Egypt/Yemen flag is most likely a flag for a Pan-Arabic Republic... It's a very common design in that movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Caban View Post
    Just made a long post that didn't go through...
    You too huh?

I see that the face is customizable but will the flag will too? It doesn't seem to be changeable based on the soldier customization screenshots and some video clips I've seen so far so I'm guessing that nationalities is a permanent trait of a soldier.

I mean you could change a Japanese operative to look Irish but his flag would still be that of Japan.
    Then again that would just simulate that he or she is an immigrant... or a Japanese that went through major plastic surgery and facial reconstruction courtesy of XCOM.
    Last edited by Agent Trunk; 06-27-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Scratch that. Apparently you can change the flags.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFinn View Post
    I'm pretty sure I derailed it first.

I'll have to check that out. Of course, whenever an power base sees serious erosion they become more open minded to possibilities - if there's not enough faithful, try and broaden your appeal.

For the same reason even Diablo 3 might be more than an AHRPG someday..

Back on topic.... New Zealand, the Apache Nation, the Vatican Guard - all reasons modding will be a worthwhile enterprise to bring to XCOM.

The best of the best should be recruitable from more than 16 countries.
    also thats what updates and DLC's are for

Nvm.........
    Last edited by CthuluIsSpy; 06-27-2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjursan
    As a swedish citizen i feel its sad we are not represented in this game.

Why?

Well we sweds have one of the most advanced armies in the world. Although it is very smal.
    Also one of the worlds top exporters of weapons and military hardware.
    And if history counts in we have been a super power and today we are considerd to be a economic giant.
    It just seems logical (for me) to include us swedes, and as im thinking Norway is equal to us swedes.
    I dont think we will be represented in the game bit it would be fun as our services are wanted by many.
    That, and they were vikings.
    In fact, are any of the Scandinavians available for recruitment?

Where are the Dutch commandos

Quote Originally Posted by DerrHans View Post
    Where are the Dutch commandos
    No dutch as well?
    I thought this was a world wide thing. You know, considering how the entire world is endangered? -_-

I thought they would just had the option of every flag to put on the backpack. It would just be a case of having a picture of every flag wouldnt it? By the sounds of it several are missing out. Maybe they are taking it further than just the flag, could they be including accents like mentioned in a thread a few months back? That would be cool to see.

On the plus side this will be probably be the first thing to be modded. All those that do not have their own flag included on release will have it very shortly after

Near impossible task to make everyone happy and have a sense of inclusion... but I have the condolence of making a solider look how ever I want.

If u have so much costumization of how ur soldiers will look like, also changing the name and nickname.
    Why not change the nationality, its not like all these flags will take a huge portion of disk space needed for install or on a Disk for the console users.

If we can find the flag textures and able to edit them than its easily done by our selfs :P

Its not like i need my nationality being well presented as our Army (holland) isnt an Army of Size and Numbers so recruiting one for X-Com prolly be a rare sight anyways :P

Still we do have very well trained soldiers tho, its just the lack of numbers as majority of the dutch people who doesnt even want to join the army. But i always like to name a Soldier with my Game name and make sure he gets the first few kills making him the best in line for promotion so he would get to be Commander and all (recruit 30 soldiers and sack them later if u get promoted :P)

Just sucks if it happens to be a Psi-wimp in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Trunk View Post
    You too huh?

MODERATOR NOTE:
    If a post doesn't appear right away, don't keep resubmitting it. A handful of posts each day get flagged by the spam filter and are quarantined temporarily. Typically, this means a new member posting links to other sites. Or making super long posts (like dxdiag reports or full system specs). We clear them out as quickly as possible, but that process is slower when we have to weed through multiples of the same post.

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post

MODERATOR NOTE:
    If a post doesn't appear right away, don't keep resubmitting it. A handful of posts each day get flagged by the spam filter and are quarantined temporarily. Typically, this means a new member posting links to other sites. Or making super long posts (like dxdiag reports or full system specs). We clear them out as quickly as possible, but that process is slower when we have to weed through multiples of the same post.
    I usually get this "page not found... port 80... something something" error page when I attempt to submit long posts. One time I managed to submit one that didn't led me to the error page. This time the site informed me that my long post required a moderator's confirmation before it gets officially/publicly posted. From then on I assumed that that was this forum's standard procedure when it comes to handling long posts.

Also, thank you for the assistance (and any further assistance in the future) and I apologize if I have caused you and the other moderators trouble by resubmitting those long posts.

I think that they should have as many countries as possible. Instead of having 16 countries with 100$ each could having 160 countries with 10$ each.

I think it isn't to sifficult to implement and for the names pool is so easy as extrac the 100 first anames and surnames from stadistics: for example for spanish:

http://www.ine.es/daco/daco42/nombyapel/nombyapel.htm

http://www.ine.es/daco/daco42/nombya...frecuentes.xls

NOMBRE (Incluido en los nombres simples y compuestos) (*) FRECUENCIA
    JOSE 2.925.472
    ANTONIO 1.543.089
    JUAN 1.394.890
    MANUEL 1.368.786
    FRANCISCO 1.236.386
    LUIS 864.099
    JAVIER 739.445
    MIGUEL 723.316
    ANGEL 658.510
    CARLOS 644.525
    JESUS 586.238
    DAVID 450.141
    PEDRO 427.974
    DANIEL 355.276
    MARIA 341.416
    RAFAEL 313.636
    FERNANDO 308.528
    ALEJANDRO 302.909
    ALBERTO 297.720
    RAMON 280.915
    PABLO 265.001
    JORGE 257.708
    VICENTE 223.809
    ENRIQUE 221.135
    SERGIO 218.478
    ANDRES 204.352
    IGNACIO 183.238
    VICTOR 182.743
    DIEGO 182.521
    JOAQUIN 165.703

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Trunk View Post
    Also, thank you for the assistance (and any further assistance in the future) and I apologize if I have caused you and the other moderators trouble by resubmitting those long posts.
    No worries. I wish the system communicated the quarantine more consistently (it does not). Without explanation, I would resubmit it, too.

Philippines? I hope so.

Polish GROM ftw

Why can't Iran be in the game? I think that we would put aside past things in history to destroy the alien threat. And the problem isn't the country, its terrorists. Iran isn't 'at' war with us. Unless of course you just mean Iran won't be in the game for some reason.

Well there is about 196 countries in the world, 193 of them are in the United Nations, so pushing for one country when only 25 are represented is not fair. Why should Iran be there instead of Kazakhstan or Armenia?

I want my Swedish flag on the back of a trooper, even if I simply have to mod it in. It shall happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Well there is about 196 countries in the world, 193 of them are in the United Nations, so pushing for one country when only 25 are represented is not fair. Why should Iran be there instead of Kazakhstan or Armenia?
    The exist on a shoestring budget maybe?

It would be nice to include 1 female/male voice for each country with accent. Just have to maybe randomly change the pitch/tone for variety. But with budget or complexity or coding laziness, the soldiers will be coded to all speak American English with alot of Sass reguardless what language you bought the game in. That would be okay, right?

Yes, American English.

We need finnish soldiers too! With very bad voice actor shouting "perkele" when he misses xD

I vote for Pottsylvania.

(lets see remembers)

To be totally honest though, we don't actually need accents. Different nationalities are perfectly able to speak fluent english. What we really need is different pitched voices so there atleast is some randomization

I've also spotted a soldier from Greece, so I'm quite sure there will be many European countries in the game and not just the UK, Germany and France.

Removed post
    Last edited by Chaosangel2113; 08-22-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Decided my post was not conducive to discussion and likely to just get people riled up so I pulled it.

Greece? Our army is small and is using amazing technology from the 40s, but I am sure we could contribute to XCOM financially as well...

I hope that they'll be bringing in more nationalities at least with DLC. It's a kind of game where everybody would like to see their country participate in. Who wouldn't want to be Defenders of the!! EARTH! EARTH! EARTH!?

The Greek soldier I saw is in this Gamescom vid at 2:58.

I also noticed the Scottish soldier, kind of weird when you also have soldiers from the United Kingdom. Apparently Firaxis thinks Scotland is not a part of the United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Koborover View Post
    The Greek soldier I saw is in this Gamescom vid at 2:58.

I also noticed the Scottish soldier, kind of weird when you also have soldiers from the United Kingdom. Apparently Firaxis thinks Scotland is not a part of the United Kingdom.
    Theres a fella who wants the apache 'nation' represented, apparently he's under the impression it's not part of the United States. Everyone has their opinin and with it being modable(hopefully) everyone can be appeased.

Quote Originally Posted by Dont_mess_Xcom_Up View Post
    The exist on a shoestring budget maybe?
    The United States exists on a shoestring budget right now.

Apprerently Norway is in, from a newsletter who has done a sneak previews.

Its pretty obvious ALL NATIONS flags are in & selectable in multiplayer...

So we can safely assume single player may have an option to place any country's flag in the character customizer incase he arrives unflagged.

=)

GO JAMAICA!!! hehe jk but kinda reminded me of that Jamaican bob-sledding team movie that came out a few years back. Xcom rastafarian creole kill cam one liners lol. =P
    Careful what you wish for. -_^

Im just happy to have the flags. ^^
    We dont want to get toooo carried away...

RikiTiki

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast