Thread: Permadeath Salute

Lightbulb Permadeath Salute

When characters lost in battle, after the battle there should be a burial ceremony (some at sea, some at miltary graveyards around the world).

But more than a mere ceremony, random members of the team have 1 or more flashbacks to certain key moments during battle when the departed did something herioc, survived something terrible, etc.

Those events could be triggered by those moments where the skycam(?) follows the action.

This gives the player a chance to reflect on the game so far (not to mention a moment or two to calm down so they don't throw the contoller or keyboard at the screen !!!)

Is this a serious post?
    Sorry, have to ask.

I don't know about a burial ceremony, but there was word about a memorial location back at the base with info about the fallen soldiers.

hey - you've heard about how the few characters the theory that players will be attached to certain characters - why not have a quick send off to remember a couple key moment of game play? But of course that would be cumbersome with multiple losses - so fallen soldiers wall where one could view key moments if so desired would be a good idea too.

Yea.. I heard there is a memorial in your base to fallen soldiers.. I kinda think thats cool as it puts it in an out of the way spot that you dont HAVE to look at/interact with, but you can if you so choose.

To be honest its not that bad of a idea - sort of gives a sense of closure when a comrade has fallen and also a kind of respect espeially if a certain soldier has done many missions - not so much graveyards around the world maybe like just a memorial stone with fallen comrades names etched on it.
    When you highlight a certain soldiers name you can review footage of certain battles and high points he or she has had.
    Its little details like this that make a great game in to a fantastic game.
    Have heard much worse ideas on here than this?

It would be cool to be able to see a short clip not so much of certain high points, but just the low point. You can wrap a blanket around your shoulders and watch your favorite soldier's death in slow motion over and over again as your lip quivers and your nose sniffles.

Quote Originally Posted by gsusguy View Post
    When characters lost in battle, after the battle there should be a burial ceremony (some at sea, some at miltary graveyards around the world).

But more than a mere ceremony, random members of the team have 1 or more flashbacks to certain key moments during battle when the departed did something herioc, survived something terrible, etc.

Those events could be triggered by those moments where the skycam(?) follows the action.

This gives the player a chance to reflect on the game so far (not to mention a moment or two to calm down so they don't throw the contoller or keyboard at the screen !!!)
    Of course, it should be skippable, or have an off switch, but I like it as an idea.

Cool idea. To have some kills with that fallen soldier showed with the end of how he/she was killed on the memorial.

HOWEVER, I can say this to 99% certainty this wont end up in this game. Because in an interview with Jake he got a question about mission-rerruns (to passively watch a a replay of a mission) like in some game.
    He said that this was not a feature, but did not say it could never show up.

I can't remember what interview though.

Nice idea. Maybe a small flashback and a cut to the gravestone marker - the "cool" cinematic thrill ride action sequences are already implemented, after all - just re-use that. Then a permanent spot where you can go back and view the short clips and stats for each fallen soldier. Even nicer if you could make a note - that would make all us RPers a bit more happy.

Quote Originally Posted by gsusguy View Post

This gives the player a chance to reflect on the game so far
    i agree this would be good, but i doubt they will add it. then it would be one step further than what the cannon fodder game did with there grave yard.

Everyone is right, it would be a great idea to include something like this, that's why they already thought of it before you. Scroll 3/4 the way down and read about Perma-death.

http://www.gamespot.com/xcom-enemy-u...s-not-6364778/

If someone could copy n paste that part, do it - I'm on iPhone and can't.

Permadeath

There was nothing to be done for support soldier Asher "Angel" Friedman, though, because XCOM's traditional permadeath is still in full effect. To that end, there's also a memorial hall back at base, where you can pay your respects to all the XCOM fighters who've laid down their lives to protect the Earth (or blundered into a berserker killzone).

there you go and well spotted :-)

I also just read something that states at the end of every mission you get a debriefing that shows items found etc. but also the names of soldiers killed, so it's going to be way more fun to name your soldiers in this version as it won't be such a mystery as to which of yer friends/family members just bit the bullet.

And for those concerned about the flatness of the maps seen so far:

We're told all of Enemy Unknown's levels are handmade, unlike the original game's procedurally generated environments, but that of these, there are plenty; in two playthroughs you "won't see the same location twice." He also says levels are commonly multilevel and that this early gas station level, with just the forecourt canopy and nearby building roof to climb up onto, is one of the flattest in the game.

Another description of the Memorial Wall:

There is, for instance, a memorial in the game's home base "Ant Farm" where players can, to the mournful tones of bagpipes, look over the long list of soldiers who gave their virtual lives in the defense of Earth
    Read more here:
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...own-first-look

Nice interview - so: bagpipes at the memorial? Unless the dev's having a laugh, then that means there should be a sound file in there that we can mod - I'd love to have the music from Crimson Tide playing - the part where the sub is shortly going to reach crush depth.

I love this memorial idea. In the first game, once a trooper was dead, you didn't remember them - even if they were one of your really good ones - you forgot them very quickly, but with this great new feature, they'll always be in your thoughts... sob... sob.

lol i am not sure about this - but this just may have been the inspiration for the bagpipes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40

Yep, that whole scene would actually work well as the Permadeath Salute - although without being dropped out of a spaceship of course.

Sod the Crimson Tide music - I want this at the Memorial Wall - especially the bit where the music swells like that! Goose pimples! (A guy doesn't half look like an alien when those things are all over his arms!!!)

A memorial wall? A whole tile of the expensive 'ant farm' building for a useless memorial wall? If I were funder you'll never got my money for that!

Other way, it can be cool if trooppers had some kind of improvised memorial somwhere in the duty rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Akinaba View Post
    A memorial wall? A whole tile of the expensive 'ant farm' building for a useless memorial wall? If I were funder you'll never got my money for that!

Other way, it can be cool if trooppers had some kind of improvised memorial somwhere in the duty rooms.
    I had reams of paper from my first XCOM game where I wanted to immortalize my fallen troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkidu View Post
    I had reams of paper from my first XCOM game where I wanted to immortalize my fallen troops.
    Just pinn their photos over the wall in the sleeping barracks -- the job is done!

Quote Originally Posted by tazong View Post
    lol i am not sure about this - but this just may have been the inspiration for the bagpipes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40
    That's what came to my mind as well!

How about after one of your soldiers dies, you can choose to proceed to a funeral section. At the funeral game, you could choose which of your other squaddies to invite, what gifts they would bring, etc. Based upon the soldiers prior experiences, certain units may choose to cry and lose morale for the next mission. You could then use your base funds to purchase an appropriate quality coffin for the soldier, and choose what country you would like to bury them in. This could then confer bonuses (or penalties) to that particular XCom continent. However, if you have researched far enough into the tech tree, you could actually manufacture a coffin made from alien composite materials, to truly bling out the burial ceremony. Prior to the start of the ceremony, you would be taken to a speech screen, ala Tropico 3, where you could craft a eulology based upon the history of the unit.

....My god...this is a war not a soap opera

I was teasing, heh

What would be cool though is if a soldier could go crazy on the battlefield. He could tear a wounded alien's heart out with his bare hands and devour it as the alien helplessly watches. Or maybe that would be a little much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen_Pho View Post
    ....My god...this is a war not a soap opera
    Hey! Get your war out of my RP-intensive immersive virtual world of sci-fi RPG!

Ok, maybe not. It's a game about tactical fighting and world strategy first, little things like this should just be a nice little aside. Maybe a picture on the wall. Or a list of names with who/what killed them. Many real-world units that lose people will put up a little cheap plaque or something. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
    Hey! Get your war out of my RP-intensive immersive virtual world of sci-fi RPG!

Ok, maybe not. It's a game about tactical fighting and world strategy first, little things like this should just be a nice little aside. Maybe a picture on the wall. Or a list of names with who/what killed them. Many real-world units that lose people will put up a little cheap plaque or something. Works for me.
    I like the memorial hall. I was referring to katscan's soldiers crying at the funeral and customizeable coffins. Hah

Quote Originally Posted by katscan View Post
    I was teasing, heh
    Yeah, I thought so. Just seemed so far over the top to be serious.

As I said in the other thread, Oathbreaker's idea of a simple plaque detailing the trooper's name, date of death and what killed them would be great - also how many bugs they took down with them, of course.

I wrote 'simple plague' at first. Ahahahaha...

It would be cool to have a video attached to each killed soldiers picture, maybe a video of his first kill using the glam cam - and maybe the shot that killed him aswell - just to remember him by. I think something like that would also discourage a save/reload situation - I mean how proud of your accomplishment of finishing the game will you be when you look at your memorial wall and see no/very few soldiers. I can't wait to have a list of family members on the board!!! Lol