Thread: Irrational Games forum migration postponed

Irrational Games forum migration postponed

Hey guys!

I wanted to give you all an update on the Irrational Games forum migration. We had originally planned to complete the migration today during our maintenance, but due to some technical issues with the database, we've decided to do some more testing behind the scenes to make sure this transition is as smooth as possible.

We'll be sure to update you when we have a new timeline for this process

So did anything actually happen during the downtime? I mean, were there any changes done at all?

Translation: "We tried, and it exploded. After the fire department gave us the all-clear, we decided to just stick with what we knew wouldn't explode." ^_^

Hey, it happens to the best of us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rkFaIPyL4

Did you check the hyperdrive motivator, Greg?

Quote Originally Posted by Vito_Lucente View Post
    So did anything actually happen during the downtime? I mean, were there any changes done at all?
    Well, lots of things were done during the downtime, but at the end of it all, nothing has actually changed in the forum

We had to roll back what we did because there are issues with the method we were using for migrating the Irrational Games forums over. We'll fix it and do it again!

Like I said, "it exploded".

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    Well, lots of things were done during the downtime, but at the end of it all, nothing has actually changed in the forum

We had to roll back what we did because there are issues with the method we were using for migrating the Irrational Games forums over. We'll fix it and do it again!
    It's like a shot for me, the quicker the less pain... :|

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Hey, it happens to the best of us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rkFaIPyL4

Did you check the hyperdrive motivator, Greg?

So I clicked on your link.. read the comment about the Wilhelm Scream researched that. I got involved with that for about 10 minutes, and that lead me to the history of the Howie scream.. I learned a lot today, thank you Jape and thank you internet lol..

I think you just summed up exactly how the internet is destroying both our productivity and our society. LOL

Glad I could be of service, 'Rapture, ol' buddy!

According to a recent announcement on their site, Irrational has said they will try again tomorrow, Friday, May 11th. If true, I assume the forums here will go dark for at least a few hours while the engineers perform their magic.

I missed it: what is going to be done in the case of username-duplicates? Which user will get precedence? Am I at risk to be replaced by an evil doppelgänger?

Quote Originally Posted by headkase View Post
    I missed it: what is going to be done in the case of username-duplicates? Which user will get precedence? Am I at risk to be replaced by an evil doppelgänger?
    Irrational's original announcement said that usernames which exist on both forums but belong to different users will be differentiated by "an additional identifier" to show which of the two originated on the IG forum. That's all the details we know.

Oh dear. I hope I don't end up as "headkase-2" But, you know what: if it happened I can't think of a better reason to bend a rule and allow a name change just for that one circumstance and only to affected users!

Rereading with a bit more comprehension: only IG users will get name changes? So 2K forums names get kept first?

That's how I'm reading it.

If there is an IG forum user named headkase, and it isn't you, then I assume you'll stay the same and they will get "headkase" plus some little widget to show they are the IG version of that name. I don't know if it will be some little graphic or just some extra letters/symbols denoting "IG".

I hope this works out!

Hey guys -

We're doing the Forum Redo Electric Boogaloo again tomorrow at 10 AM - so we'll be down for a bit but will be back with an awesomely migrated forum soon after!

Awesome, it's done. This new text-editing widget I'm typing in is much nicer too! Now, time to poke around the new sub-forums!

Forum Redo Electric Boogaloo SUCCESS !

Yayy! THIS time, it didn't explode!! ^_^

Fantastic! Good job all around.

You think? I actually got the impression that a lot of good threads didn't make it while some spam and now-redundant threads did. Maybe I just haven't figured out where everything is yet...the main forum list shows that the BI board has 900 something threads but when I go here http://forums.2kgames.com/forumdispl...ame-Discussion I see less than a dozen. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by laforzadimente View Post
    You think? I actually got the impression that a lot of good threads didn't make it while some spam and now-redundant threads did. Maybe I just haven't figured out where everything is yet...the main forum list shows that the BI board has 900 something threads but when I go here http://forums.2kgames.com/forumdispl...ame-Discussion I see less than a dozen. What am I missing?
    For whatever reason that particular sub-forum is defaulting to only show threads that have posts within the last day. Click the drop down menu near the bottom of the page and select the time frame you want shown.