Thread: CD Key already in use - but I bought the game brand new in a store.

CD Key already in use - but I bought the game brand new in a store.

Hello,

I bought the CD brand new in a store last year, but had to quit playing for a while.

It seems however that i can no longer play: Steam wants me to reinstall the game (it took me 35hrs the first time, thanks to their slow platform). They now ask for my CD Key: I am reinstalling the game on the same computer, through the same cd, and yet "the Key is invalid or already in use".

I tried to contact their support "service" (more like do-it-yourself-we-ain't-here service), but i don't know where to turn.

Could anybody help me please?

Why didn't you just click the "install" button for the game, in your Steam Library?

I wish it were that simple...

My library on steam is empty. When I launch the game from the CD, steam asks me for my CD Key. It does the same if I use the icon on my desktop (the same one that I used in order to play last year).

Also, i can no longer find the folders containing Civ V (I only have a total of 18mb of random files and 1-2 replays, while the rest is gone??).

Is there a way I could get a new CD Key? Maybe if I sent proof that I own the game?

.... what you describe makes me think you've opened, or at least logged into, a different account than the one you installed Civ5 with originally. Which would explain nicely why it won'tlet you install Civ5 with the same CD-key: it IS in use, by the other YOU.

So: are you sure you're logged into the correct Steam account?

Alternate thought: if you are using the right account ... in your Library, right under the word "LIBRARY" at the top, is a little drop-down thingie. Check and make sure it's on "All Games", and then see if it's still empty.

Oh, and: Civ5 should be in C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Sid Meier's Civilization V - in Vista, anyway. If you're using XP or Win7, the very first folder may be different; it's wherever most of your programs are installed. That folder should be in the neighborhood of 5GB in size.

what you say makes sense. however, the account that I'm currently using is the one associated with the main e-mail address that I use! I tried to retrieve the account name and password for the other e-mail addresses that I might have used, but the operation fails: I guess it's because there isn't any account using those addresses...

I did a second search through my hard-drive, and I don't have any folder bigger than a few mb under the names "aspyr" "steam" "civ" and every other keyword that could possibly be related to the game (I'm a mac user btw :P )

I don't know where to bang my head!!

It is NOT however, the one associated with the Email you USED to create the account, that you linked Civ5 to.

Until you locate THAT account, NOONE can assist you.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on, but it really really seems to be a Steam Account problem.

Steam's Account support, in my experience, is better than Game-specific support. If I were you, I'd go back and pound on their door for a while.

Good luck.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:
    Could you have mistakenly used a room-mate's account, or a family member's account, when you first installed steam?

Has your email address changed since you last had Civ5 installed?

no, it's been the same for the past 5 years at least. i'll give it another try or two, hopefully tomorrow steam will validate my account and i'll be able to ask on their forum.

Really from teh sounds of it, it's an account thing.

Does anyone else have access to that computer? Might they have created a new account, and left the machine set to sign in to that one?