Thread: Death & The Muton: Firaxis On XCOM Fatalities & Floaters (RPS)

Death & The Muton: Firaxis On XCOM Fatalities & Floaters (RPS)

Awesome lighting in the 2nd screen shot.. maybe they ARE going to make night fun

No wonder Jake doesn't sound excited to interview with these guys (RPS):
    "So what does he do to unwind?" like every 3rd question is pointless.

So, we've heard him say that a playthrough is around 70 missions. 22 deaths. Normal difficulty, average mortality rate of 1 soldier every 3 missions. Granted, he made the game, so he's got a distinct advantage Still, doesn't bode well for the squish factor.

Granted.. but we already knew mortality can't be as high as the prior with squad sizes limited to 4 initially (and 6 "by the end")
    1 per mission would be exceptionally high.

Really, a 25% casualty rate doesn't sound too out of line to me. I'm hoping that's what we'll see on the classic difficulty, anyway.

Hmm ya everyone other question was casual to keep it friendly I guess.

If his 3 best guys killed up to 50 aliens, it's hard to speculate, let's say 22 soldiers dead, 10 more in base, let's say 30 guys averaging about 10 kills each thereabouts, that would be 1 soldier dead for every 11 aliens killed, but this is umpteenth play through - for a newbie like us, we would prolly double that to 1 soldier dead every 5 aliens killed? That doesn't sound quiet as bad as 1 soldier every 3 missions...

And that's normal difficulty, up that a couple times and add in iron man mode and that should raise it to at least 1 soldier killed every mission :P

I hope the second part gets posted, but tomorrow is Saturday so I dont have high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by katscan View Post
    Granted.. but we already knew mortality can't be as high as the prior with squad sizes limited to 4 initially (and 6 "by the end")
    1 per mission would be exceptionally high.
    Actually something tells me they have no qualms about killing your people off, completely TPK.

In general his numbers pretty much keep the same kill percentages that I had in the original, and I wasn't exactly playing average, but I was playing challenging for my skill level.

I think I'm going to get slaughtered, and I couldn't be more excited! >_< 0_0 ^_^

New race confirmed! The dreaded Mutton. Alien sheep come to avenge their terran cousins due to the tragic misunderstanding of "BAAAAA" means no. Probes everywhere!

But seriously, I enjoyed the interview, and tomorrows sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    But seriously, I enjoyed the interview, and tomorrows sounds interesting.
    Tommorrow's interview release is the most important development, THE most important milestone, in this games pre-release press coverage. It is an absolutely pivotal day that will stand by itself throughout the test of time: Jake will be forced to comment upon voice confirmations for soldiers, and respond to possible criticism. Not sure if I expect him to comment upon a toggle, I expect he will probably say "its not that bad".. That's not what I am looking for. I want to hear "If you don't like it, you can turn it off in the audio control"

lol...I don't know if most would put voice coms to be quite THAT high in the importance scale

Remember that he had 22 deaths on NORMAL difficulty as well. So on harder difficulties I would expect even more deaths.

I liked the comment that he lost 4 out of 6 veterans in one mission - on Normal difficulty.
    If the game doesn't feel like losing your precious squad is a distinct possibility on EVERY mission then we have a problem.

I was happy to see we will be able to have a stable of troops of more than 6.

Yup, sounds like that Floater "teleportation" move is "Go up, come down somewhere else". Someone mentioned one of them floating off diagonally or something, but I'd still like to know if their flight ability (as in actual point-to-point movement, not the ability to temporarily alter their height for any special move thing) is limited to going from one flat place to a higher/lower flat place like the grappling hook or if they can, say, use large overhanging road signs or similar objects as mid-air cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Yup, sounds like that Floater "teleportation" move is "Go up, come down somewhere else". Someone mentioned one of them floating off diagonally or something, but I'd still like to know if their flight ability (as in actual point-to-point movement, not the ability to temporarily alter their height for any special move thing) is limited to going from one flat place to a higher/lower flat place like the grappling hook or if they can, say, use large overhanging road signs or similar objects as mid-air cover.
    Personally I don't see why they couldn't. The grappling hook doesn't let you actually fly, it simply allows you to climb up a rope to get to a spot (or if it's like batman it would pull you up to that spot). Just as how if we get flying suits again in this game (and I don't know why we wouldn't given that they have been a staple of all of the other XCOM games) we had better be able to just sit our soldies on a spot and not have it be a weird they move there then fall down to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Personally I don't see why they couldn't. The grappling hook doesn't let you actually fly, it simply allows you to climb up a rope to get to a spot (or if it's like batman it would pull you up to that spot).
    IIRC, It's like Batman.

Just as how if we get flying suits again in this game (and I don't know why we wouldn't given that they have been a staple of all of the other XCOM games) we had better be able to just sit our soldies on a spot and not have it be a weird they move there then fall down to earth.
    Well, I'm just wondering exactly how they'd set it up with UE3's AI pathing system, which from what I've seen seems to be rather FPS/TPS dedicated and designed for mostly ground-level use in either version of it - there's two, one based on manually-placed nodes and a newer one that seems to be based on subdividing the level into a bunch of unobstructed quads layered over any surface that runs perpendicular or near-perpendicular to gravity (potentially automatically via the editor, IIRC). The second one only got added into the engine some time in 2010, I think, and it's more dynamic than the nodes, so I suspect (suspect) they're using the nodes since the game doesn't seem to be able to deal with path-changing destructible roofs/floors and they claim they've been working on this game since before 2010.

Now, I'm not saying they couldn't place a node for each piece of air cover (though if nodes need to be placed against a gravity-based pushable surface then they'll need invisible "flyer only" geometry if that's possible, though that's true of the quad system too, I think), I'm just wondering if they've thought it to be worth the bother for every hand built map, especially if they went and did it for more than just air cover and expanded it to a multi-level hovering/flying system like the original (even more nodes). Like you, I'd certainly prefer flying suits doing something more than simply granting the ability to briefly rise up and shoot over cover. For one thing I hope we can have troops hover semi-silently around the second storey and thus have a better chance of sneaking up on aliens.
    Last edited by Brian Damage; 05-05-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Very good interview. And they summed up the squad of 4-6 very well. Everyone is stressing about it. I think in the old games it wouldn't work but this one is build to work with those numbers from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzD View Post
    Very good interview. And they summed up the squad of 4-6 very well. Everyone is stressing about it. I think in the old games it wouldn't work but this one is build to work with those numbers from the start.
    4-6 would certainly not work in the old games. Anyone who says otherwise... I want a proof... give me a non-cut replay of assaulting a large scout or doing a terror mission or superhuman with only 6 men...

I've just got back with my tail under me, after two in game months in Terror from the Deep... I forgot how difficult was that

flying grenades, one shot aquanauts, while the alien could survive a direct grenade at times, or 2-3 hits from jet harpoon...

Two terror missions were utter fails... deploying squads of 14 and making an emergency evac with only 2 left each time...

UFOs ... 1:1 kill/death ratio - the water and shores were full of aquanauts' blood...

After such first months it's difficult to recover...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Yes, that was me. But analysing the video again I saw that one did increase the altitude while moving across the map.

I was sceptical about the teleport, but the GT.TV states "teleport to anywhere on the map" maby that was a liberal interpetation by GT and poor choice of words by Jake.

I dont know how the UE handles pathing but since there is a round circle on the ground below when they fly, they still seem to be linked to that pathing layer.

Quote Originally Posted by katscan View Post
    Awesome lighting in the 2nd screen shot.. maybe they ARE going to make night fun
    Yep, looks great. BUT - lol at the "Fire : Does up to 5 damage. : L3 MORE INFO" tag in the UI. That just seems childish, to me. Why the heck do you the player need to know how effective a shot that you haven't even taken yet will do? The whole "let's tell the player everything and show him really impressive numbers and health bars floating around" thing is just awkward. Good thing you can turn that stuff off.

BUT - lol at the "Fire : Does up to 5 damage. : L3 MORE INFO"
    well, is says UP TO 5 damage. for me thats just an indicator to know how leathal the gun CAN GET. that doesnt mean "it hits the target with 5 damage", which would be stupid. it can be 0-5. and 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 are, at least for me, not very impressive numbers