Thread: Austian UU

Austian UU

Hi,

I was wandering what UU for Austria(-Hungary) should fit the new expansion. The slavic Grenzer came to mind. A Grenzer was a local farmer with certain duties of a non-regular soldier. Grenzers' duty was enforced for southern borders of the Empire to defend against raids coming from Ottoman Empire its small neighbours.
    Thus the Grenzer should be a musketman with 20% bonus:
    (i) against States of different religion ; or
    (ii) while defending within State borders; or
    (iii) in case Austria is defending against aggression.
    First bonus suits G&K setting well. Either of the latter two boni fits Austria. I do not know if any of the bonuses is possible to implement within the engine limits.
    Grenzers' service was not established by Maria Theresa, however she gave it the polished structure which remained in force for long. The Grenzer suits this monarch well.
    As a second uniqueness there ought to be unique building. Probalby something of Ball house

What are your suggestions?

I personally was hoping they'd get a howitzer, which would replace artillery. Yeah, some kind of opera house replacement (ball house or what have you) for them could make sense too.

I think the unique building could be a Coffee House.

If I remember my history right, the first Eurpoean Coffee House has been established in Austria after they had pushed back the Ottomans.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentWulf View Post
    I think the unique building could be a Coffee House.

If I remember my history right, the first Eurpoean Coffee House has been established in Austria after they had pushed back the Ottomans.
    That could very well be. From what I understood, coffee came from the Arabian peninsula and became popular thereafter within the Ottoman Turk Empire. It probably spread from there into Austria, and it would make sense for that to have happened after a siege of Vienna or other Ottoman/Austrian conflict.

It's funny. My grandfather is Austrian and they have a tradition of making moon shaped cookies sprinkled with sugar as well...

Quote Originally Posted by SlickSlicer View Post
    That could very well be. From what I understood, coffee came from the Arabian peninsula and became popular thereafter within the Ottoman Turk Empire. It probably spread from there into Austria, and it would make sense for that to have happened after a siege of Vienna or other Ottoman/Austrian conflict.

It's funny. My grandfather is Austrian and they have a tradition of making moon shaped cookies sprinkled with sugar as well...
    Hmm, I see what you did there. They also make cookies in heart, star or just plain square and round shapes.

The 'Kipferl' of which you speak is a traditional Bavarian/Austrian biscuit (not to be confused with the Kifli, which is bread), and has no known connections with the crescent moon of the Ottomans.

From the German Wiki:
    Dass die Form des Kipferl mit dem türkischen Halbmond im Zusammenhang steht, ist nicht nachweisbar. Vielmehr ist das Kipferl bereits in einer Urkunde des 12. Jahrhunderts erwähnt
    What is true, and valid to this day, are the excellent coffee houses in Vienna, a city well worth a visit.
    Last edited by tfordp; 05-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Well I learned something today. I thought they had something to do with Ottomans. My grandparents never made them in any other shape, seriously! and for some reason they always pronounced them as "Kipfee"

I've been to Vienna, albeit not for very long.