Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xenonauts vs x-com vs x-com fps

Hybrid View

xenonauts vs x-com vs x-com fps

who do you think will fail out of these 3? place the bets
    oh and what are you re thoughts on these games ,i personally think it is good that x-com related games come out ,good variety in a short time
    Last edited by alexey7891; 05-09-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Likely none. Maybe the FPS, though Firaxis' game may generate enough hype about the IP that it can ride on the coattails.

to be honest i think they will all do well - to be honest i think its great 3 games are coming out so close to each other - its like waiting for a bus and 3 turn up at the same time.
    Xcom enemy unknown will be the smash hit in my own opinion and i reckon will be a contender for game of the year.
    I think xenonauts will do well but undoubtablly xcom enemy unknown will steal a lot of its thunder but a lot of the hardcore xcoms fans will support it.
    as for the fps xcom - firstly should xcom be a fps - well not really but i am open to new things - however i have looked deeply in to the title and there are some intresting ideas there - i think the developers knew there were some things that were not right and have rightly delayed it to address those issues.Will i buy yet? - yes but i will wait till i read a review of the game before i do - xcom enemy unknown i have already preordered - xenonauts - again i will wait for the review.

Not sure about XCOM:EU stealing anyone's thunder. News of it has caused a surge in Xenonaut pre-orders from my understanding. Not sure if that's because some folks actually like a lot of the old mechanics, or people just have X-COM fever, but regardless, I'm glad to see the indie doing well.

I would probably go for the FPS X-COM as the most likely to fail.. although I would enjoy a good X-COM FPS/TPS with a good squad command, fleshed out cover system and squad abilities and set in the same timeline as the tactical X-COM: Enemy Unknown Fot this TPS they could copy solutions from the ME3 in terms of combat.. It's "casual" friendly

i had my doubts but out of all the 3 i now think firaxis x-com will do the best out of the 3 ,well good news we get 3 x-com with 3 dif playstyles

I have not heard of xenonauts or xcom:fps until I came here. Of all 3, xcom:eu probably will get more publicity. Xcom:fps is the least interesting, there's tons of fps out there. Xcom:eu is unique, its using 3d to its full advantage with gorgeous looking levels and characters. It also has an updated gameplay which interests me. If only its designed for 10 soldier cap, it would be perfect!

I'm expecting Xenonauts to sell the least. It doesn't have a huge marketing budget or PR team. It's got soul, and good word of mouth. But it's not going to sell like hotcakes the same way XCOM EU likely will. Fortunately it doesn't need to, since its budget is so much smaller.

XCOM EU will probably sell oodles due to the Firaxan pedigree and the intelligently done PR push.

The FPS, despite how much the existing fanbase dislikes it, will probably sell simply because the FPS market is much bigger than the strategy game market. This is a two edged sword in that while the market is much larger, it's also competing against Call of Duty and other billion dollar franchises though, so I expect it to fall below what the 2k executives are hoping for.

The way the games are shaping up, when I want to scratch that X-COM itch, I'll look to Xenonauts. When I want something fun but not too serious or cerebral, X-COM:EU will probably fit the bill (though I still hope mods can chunk it out). Probably won't even bother with the FPS, unless they give you some really innovative strategic and tactical elements that I haven't seen in an FPS before.

As far as sales, X-COM:EU will likely do the best, followed by the FPS. Xenonauts won't compare to either, because of it's budget, and because no aspect of it was designed for mass appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl_Facehugger View Post
    The FPS, despite how much the existing fanbase dislikes it, will probably sell simply because the FPS market is much bigger than the strategy game market. This is a two edged sword in that while the market is much larger, it's also competing against Call of Duty and other billion dollar franchises though, so I expect it to fall below what the 2k executives are hoping for.
    Nah. We've already seen a few high profile FPS flop. Bulletstorm anyone? Which was a shame, because that was a fun game. Crude but funny dialogue. Prey wasn't a huge success, Haze was pretty much a flop. Not to mention the sea of crushed dreams of failed no name games.

FPS =/= success.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl_Facehugger
    Don't bet on this. Syndicate, Darkness 2, Rage and Bulletstorm all did vastly below expectations (especially Syndicate). Syndicates incredibly poor performance (being a remake of a previous strategy game) speaks volumes as to the kinds of problems that the XCOM FPS faces (unless it really pulls a rabbit out of the hat). FPS games are bottoming out unless you are Call of Duty or Battlefield - so it's no longer true that you make an FPS and it sells. I've been predicting this for a while now and it's just what happened to RTS games in the 90s. Unless you're a major franchise, you're not going to be guaranteed success at all.

Personally I think XCOM:EU will do well, but it's not going to set the sales charts on fire any time soon and probably Xenonauts as well (do very well for an indie title). It will really depend on when XCOM:EU is released, because later this year looks like absolute hell and while I'll buy XCOM:EU, I'm not sure others will take that choice over some of the other things coming out in September/October/November.

UFO extraterrestrials 2 would be releasing around fall this year too if im not mistaken. Their official website says they pushed back release to fall this year. Jake and the devs of both xenonauts and extraterrestrials probably had they're annual trekkie meeting earlier this year and decided to release at about the same time.

Despite the abhorrent move to use the xcom name for nothing but free PR, the FPS after its latest revamp actually looks like it will be an interesting game.

With the right marketing, heart and luck I think it could be a good series if it manages to show us the developers are creative in gameplay if not in marketing.

The other two will do fine. EU is the direct spiritual sequel created BECAUSE of the outcry against the FPS, and Xenonauts has always been made as a modernized x-com update.

One is a "blockbuster" with higher budget and pedigree, the other is a sprite based affair and both are changing the way things were done in the first x-com. They will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bcgamer View Post
    UFO extraterrestrials 2 would be releasing around fall this year too if im not mistaken. Their official website says they pushed back release to fall this year. Jake and the devs of both xenonauts and extraterrestrials probably had they're annual trekkie meeting earlier this year and decided to release at about the same time.
    oh yeah forgot about them but idk ufo extraterestrials2 didn t quite impress me didn t quite like the screens from theyr official page,tooo bad

I think the FPS is the most likely to "fail." Note that this is only going off of the released info and they have been quiet on the FPS for awhile so it could be getting an update to bring it more in-line with being a true XCOM game. But as of right now the FPS has nothing to do with the XCOM IP excluding a few token references and it is in the FPS market. This means that it is in a very competative market and the currently released information has greatly angered (to put it nicely) a lot of XCOM fans. The angering of fans is going to generate bad PR via word-of-mouth and online reviews of the current data, which means that fans of XCOM are far less likely to buy the game and those that might have been interested in the game are less likely to buy the game given the fans (of XCOM) comments about it. After all given the economy why should someone spend their money on something they don't know anything about when those that know about that IP are saying it is a bad direction and that they won't buy it?

I don't think any of them need to "fail," necessarily. Myself, I'm not terribly concerned with the business aspect of any of this (not to mention I'm too ill-informed about the business side of the videogame industry to do more than wildly speculate.) I can speak about my own feelings on the three games, however.

Of course, I'm very interested to see how Xenonauts turns out. At the very least, I think it's important to support the indie developers when they're putting out something that relates to my interests as a gamer. I don't necessarily see them as "competing" with any of the XCom games, however.

Just because, personally, there's few enough good turn-based strategy games that I rarely have to choose between which ones I'm going to be playing.

Enemy Unknown really has me excited, though. As much as I like the idea of Xenonauts, I think it's going to be nice to see a AAA developer tackle this IP. The way I look at it, Xenonauts has the "faithful update" pretty well covered. So I see it as a good thing that Firaxis is putting their own stamp on the tweaks and changes they're making with this outing.

Frankly, I have more respect that Firaxis is sticking to their guns and making the game they want to make, and feel passionate about, instead of making something just to try and make "us" happy (to the degree that it'd even be possible to please every one of the old-timer X-Com fanbase anyway.) They're putting their own mark on the game, and re-imagining it in their own image - and I think that's a good thing.

The XCom FPS is something that I'm actually rather interested in, now. I think it's really quite unfortunate the order in which they announced the two games. When I first heard about the FPS game, what I kept thinking is that what really made the idea of a company using the name of an IP to make a game that isn't relevant to my wants as a fan of the series (and even specifically running counter to those tastes,) was that there wasn't any sign of a more traditional take on the series.

I think the idea of an FPS building on some concept of X-Com would have been a lot easier to swallow had we known about the turn-based game ahead of time. I can't think of a good strategy game metaphor - the closest I can think of is that (presumably) a lot of Halo fans probably weren't interested in the Halo Wars game, but that it probably wasn't all that big of a hullabaloo because they were probably pretty comfortably aware that there was still another Halo FPS on the way.

If Bungie had announced that they were done making FPS Halo games, and that Halo Wars was the only Halo ever coming out in the future - that's kind of how I originally felt about the announcement of the XCom FPS. I didn't see how this had anything to do with me, as a fan of a turn-based strategy series beyond both of them having aliens in them.

Now, however, I can view the two games as companions to each other. I'm not even too worried about how "tactical" the game is going to be now, or to what degree they're tying any of the gameplay elements from the original series into an FPS. Because I'm going to get that from the Enemy Unknown game anyway, I don't need that "fix" from this game, so much.

I actually think it could be a good opportunity to build up some actual lore, backstory, and history into the series. I'm viewing all of this as a re-imagining, of course. The old games weren't exactly known for a terribly compelling backstory or narrative (beyond, of course, what was emergent from the gameplay,) so if we can add to that this time around (without losing anything in the mix,) then I see that as a good thing. And a more narrative-driven FPS is probably a good way to go about that.

Quote Originally Posted by nu_clear_day View Post
    I think the idea of an FPS building on some concept of X-Com would have been a lot easier to swallow had we known about the turn-based game ahead of time. I can't think of a good strategy game metaphor - the closest I can think of is that (presumably) a lot of Halo fans probably weren't interested in the Halo Wars game, but that it probably wasn't all that big of a hullabaloo because they were probably pretty comfortably aware that there was still another Halo FPS on the way.

If Bungie had announced that they were done making FPS Halo games, and that Halo Wars was the only Halo ever coming out in the future - that's kind of how I originally felt about the announcement of the XCom FPS. I didn't see how this had anything to do with me, as a fan of a turn-based strategy series beyond both of them having aliens in them.
    The issue with your comparison is that Halo Wars is 100% in the Halo universe and fits in the timeline and what not. The XCOM FPS does NONE of this.

I actually think it could be a good opportunity to build up some actual lore, backstory, and history into the series. I'm viewing all of this as a re-imagining, of course. The old games weren't exactly known for a terribly compelling backstory or narrative (beyond, of course, what was emergent from the gameplay,) so if we can add to that this time around (without losing anything in the mix,) then I see that as a good thing. And a more narrative-driven FPS is probably a good way to go about that.
    Except that you have to make a whole new universe or completely retcon in and destroy the settings/backstory of the original games. Also the original games had a pretty good backstory/narrative. The backstory of EU was the history of Earth, this was our first real contact with aliens, and XCOM was formed after the Japanese and I think some other army were completely crushed by the aliens.

TFTD has the history that the fall of Cydonia sent a signal to T'leth that activated the alien base. Also has the history that Elerium goes inert in salt-water and I believe it also talks about just how unnerving the mental capabilites of sectoids/ethereals were to those that survived (though this might have been mentioned in Apoc).

Apoc has the history that the fall of T'leth massively polluted the world, all Elerium was used up, the Earth was starting to crumble, but sometime soon before the events of Apoc an Elerium cache was found on Mars (it was located away from Cydonia, none was found at Cydonia after the first war), that we had finally started to move outside our solar system, and that Mega-Primus was the first city in a plan to help clean up Earth (due to the pollution from humans and the issues that the destruction of T'leth caused). Oh and it also states that the destruction of T'leth caused all Zybrite to go inert (it was semi-organic and thus linked to the T'leth final boss thing) and that all soldiers on that final mission died.

But all of this backstory requires one to read the original manuals that came with the games. So unless you have the original stuff it can be a bit hard to find out about all of this backstory. I know that Apoc came with a bunch of cool things and a timeline to help explain certain things, but when I got the XCOM CE and steam games they didn't really come with any of that info.

Here are my own thoughts, based on speculation and trends I've noticed in gaming, and facts that I won't even pretend are related to these three games.

If any of the games flop, it will be the XCom FPS. I think the game itself will be decent, but it fails to fill any sort of niche. It's too different to attract the fans of the original, and it's too much of the same to attract new fans of its own. It will be like X-Com Interceptor, or that top-down action shooter Fallout game that was released before FO3. I think the devs will make a little bit of money, but it won't generate enough interest for a sequel or continued dev support(DLC and the like).

XCom: EU will do well. Not "omg blockbuster runaway hit" great, but well enough that it will be considered a good game by fans and critics, and sell a good amount of copies. I can see it being like Deus Ex: HR, a well executed concept updated for modern gamers with one or two flaws that prevent it from surpassing the original. Whether that's actually true, or people are just viewing the original with nostalgia goggles will be a point of debate on forums like these.

Xenonauts will technically be the most successful of the three. I say "technically successful" because it's being made by a small indie dev team, and they'll need to sell significantly fewer copies for less money to turn a profit. If they put it on Steam and keep adding content, basically turning it into classic X-Com with more(weapons, aliens, missions, you name it), the devs will do very well for themselves while pleasing a smaller core group of fans.

My hope is that all three games are mind-blowingly awesome, but I've been disappointed too many times to believe that will happen.

I'm surprised how quickly they have cash rolling in, almost hit the goal in 2 days. Hope they get an overabundance of cash and can really polish it up.

UFO:ET will do well I'm pretty sure. Remember this is the sequel. The wouldn't have done another one if the first one had tanked. XCOM:EU will do very well, we all know that. Xenonauts is likely to do well not least because of it's loyal developing fan base. I know I'm definitely going to buy and play all three. The FPS can wither and die as far as I'm concerned. You wouldn't catch me playing this if they gave it away for free.

oh yeah the xenonauts project will be a succes it seems i ve been on theyr page and oh man they got a lot of old fans suport amaizing makes my heart happy

Yup. Was confident the final product would be good (been on preorder for a couple years), but with the KS cash, it should be pretty righteous. X-COM in 1080p *happy dance*

Quote Originally Posted by b15h09 View Post
    Yup. Was confident the final product would be good (been on preorder for a couple years), but with the KS cash, it should be pretty righteous. X-COM in 1080p *happy dance*
    know what i wanted to wait for the final build but f that i m going to preorder the 30 $ value pack from kickstarter uhu ,x-com is dead long live x-com

Quote Originally Posted by alexey7891 View Post
    know what i wanted to wait for the final build but f that i m going to preorder the 30 $ value pack from kickstarter uhu ,x-com is dead long live x-com
    Excellent call. I fire up the alpha builds every few months to check progress, though I try not to play too much, just so when I do finally get the final build, it'll be nice and fresh. Been a lot of progress over the last year. Really loving the crashed alien ships (so much better than the "barn o doom" they were using as a placeholder before )

Well that's impressive. Maybe they can add female soldiers now :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Female soldiers in that timeline? ...

Quote Originally Posted by DP1982SK View Post
    lol, kinda my thoughts on it. They did say that if you wanted to donate at the custom portrait tier, they'd do a female head, though it's gonna get stuck on a mans body.

Quote Originally Posted by DP1982SK View Post
    Hence the :P. Last I heard, supposedly the Xenonauts guys themselves were blaming a lack of time and money whenever anyone asked why there were no female troops. Accuracy in a game that's already set in an alternate history aside, I'd rather they spend money on enhancing the actual gameplay anyway.

Hence the :P. Last I heard, supposedly the Xenonauts guys themselves were blaming a lack of time and money whenever anyone asked why there were no female troops. Accuracy in a game that's already set in an alternate history aside, I'd rather they spend money on enhancing the actual gameplay anyway.
    Yeah, the sprite sets were prohibitively expensive for the male set, and for the price they could add a few new aliens instead of fems, if I recall. Good suppression and cover mechanics sounds alot better than pixelly boobs.

it seems TBS isn t really dead afterall ,so much variety,a fight for the prize of being the succesor of the BEAST that was x-com ,let the show begin

... recall that that was a joke ^.

This is not:

The current thinking is that [...] we'll add female soldiers at $200,000.

[...]

We're setting it at $200,000 because we think that it is an achievable target, but one that would be fantastic for us to hit. Even after Kickstarter have taken their cut and we've paid for all the rewards, we think it'll be enough for us to form a physical studio. Being in the same room would make life so much easier for us as we finish off the game.

[...]

EDIT - oh, and we might add new tilesets or other game additions as additional stretch goals in between these two, these are just the two headline acts!

EDIT 2 - just to explain our reasoning behind the female soldiers being at $200k, as there seems to be some confusion. We think $200k is an ambitious but achievable goal for the Kickstarter, given the response so far, so we put potentially the most interesting feature there to try and galvanise interest. We don't want people to just lose interest now the project is funded, so we're trying to spread our goals out so we don't achieve them all in the first week.

That's not to say if we "only" get $120k-$130k that we would definitely not put female soldiers in the game before release...but we want there to be something worth celebrating if / when we reach the big milestones (although there's less cause for celebration now I've told you we might do it anyway even if we don't hit $200k).
    That was a day or so ago, they say they'll take votes for the stretch goals now, though.

XCOM-FPS.......please, you have to be joking.
    Xenonauts........One big sack of bugs.
    Sort of narrows down the field don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostandfound View Post
    XCOM-FPS.......please, you have to be joking.
    Xenonauts........One big sack of bugs.
    Sort of narrows down the field don't it?
    Not really. It does show why releasing alpha builds can create bad perceptions in those without understanding, though.

honestly for and indie studio it has done excelent ,not saying firaxis won t be good ,but somehow xenonauts remind more of x-com ,idk why but it just does

honestly for and indie studio it has done excelent ,not saying firaxis won t be good ,but somehow xenonauts remind more of x-com ,idk why but it just does
    Pretty well every reviewer that has looked at the games agrees. Xenonauts is X-COM refined. X-COM:EU is a new animal. Kinda nice, because it keeps them from being direct competition. Grognards and casuals alike should enjoy this year

it s alpha ,not even beta lol what do you expect ,lol

I like the looks of UFO2Extraterrestrials: Shadows over Earth. The first one was all right, I would think that they have learned a lot from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostandfound View Post
    I like the looks of UFO2Extraterrestrials: Shadows over Earth. The first one was all right, I would think that they have learned a lot from that.
    the first ufo extraterestrials i liked very much ,but the second one looks grimmer ,but could be interesting

the first ufo extraterestrials i liked very much ,but the second one looks grimmer ,but could be interesting
    I did like the first one, in fact I played it to death. I lot didn't like it, but what do they know? And now I think B-man is involved in the making of the second. Got hopes for this one.

http://www.ufo2extraterrestrials.com/
    Last edited by Lostandfound; 05-10-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast