Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xenonauts vs x-com vs x-com fps

Well, at least now we've got three (three !!!) Xcom-type games coming out. Hopefully that would keep us going for the next 10 years until someone decides to develop another one.

Quote Originally Posted by nu_clear_day View Post
    I think the idea of an FPS building on some concept of X-Com would have been a lot easier to swallow had we known about the turn-based game ahead of time. I can't think of a good strategy game metaphor - the closest I can think of is that (presumably) a lot of Halo fans probably weren't interested in the Halo Wars game, but that it probably wasn't all that big of a hullabaloo because they were probably pretty comfortably aware that there was still another Halo FPS on the way.

If Bungie had announced that they were done making FPS Halo games, and that Halo Wars was the only Halo ever coming out in the future - that's kind of how I originally felt about the announcement of the XCom FPS. I didn't see how this had anything to do with me, as a fan of a turn-based strategy series beyond both of them having aliens in them.
    The issue with your comparison is that Halo Wars is 100% in the Halo universe and fits in the timeline and what not. The XCOM FPS does NONE of this.

I actually think it could be a good opportunity to build up some actual lore, backstory, and history into the series. I'm viewing all of this as a re-imagining, of course. The old games weren't exactly known for a terribly compelling backstory or narrative (beyond, of course, what was emergent from the gameplay,) so if we can add to that this time around (without losing anything in the mix,) then I see that as a good thing. And a more narrative-driven FPS is probably a good way to go about that.
    Except that you have to make a whole new universe or completely retcon in and destroy the settings/backstory of the original games. Also the original games had a pretty good backstory/narrative. The backstory of EU was the history of Earth, this was our first real contact with aliens, and XCOM was formed after the Japanese and I think some other army were completely crushed by the aliens.

TFTD has the history that the fall of Cydonia sent a signal to T'leth that activated the alien base. Also has the history that Elerium goes inert in salt-water and I believe it also talks about just how unnerving the mental capabilites of sectoids/ethereals were to those that survived (though this might have been mentioned in Apoc).

Apoc has the history that the fall of T'leth massively polluted the world, all Elerium was used up, the Earth was starting to crumble, but sometime soon before the events of Apoc an Elerium cache was found on Mars (it was located away from Cydonia, none was found at Cydonia after the first war), that we had finally started to move outside our solar system, and that Mega-Primus was the first city in a plan to help clean up Earth (due to the pollution from humans and the issues that the destruction of T'leth caused). Oh and it also states that the destruction of T'leth caused all Zybrite to go inert (it was semi-organic and thus linked to the T'leth final boss thing) and that all soldiers on that final mission died.

But all of this backstory requires one to read the original manuals that came with the games. So unless you have the original stuff it can be a bit hard to find out about all of this backstory. I know that Apoc came with a bunch of cool things and a timeline to help explain certain things, but when I got the XCOM CE and steam games they didn't really come with any of that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl_Facehugger
    The FPS, despite how much the existing fanbase dislikes it, will probably sell simply because the FPS market is much bigger than the strategy game market. This is a two edged sword in that while the market is much larger, it's also competing against Call of Duty and other billion dollar franchises though, so I expect it to fall below what the 2k executives are hoping for.
    Don't bet on this. Syndicate, Darkness 2, Rage and Bulletstorm all did vastly below expectations (especially Syndicate). Syndicates incredibly poor performance (being a remake of a previous strategy game) speaks volumes as to the kinds of problems that the XCOM FPS faces (unless it really pulls a rabbit out of the hat). FPS games are bottoming out unless you are Call of Duty or Battlefield - so it's no longer true that you make an FPS and it sells. I've been predicting this for a while now and it's just what happened to RTS games in the 90s. Unless you're a major franchise, you're not going to be guaranteed success at all.

Personally I think XCOM:EU will do well, but it's not going to set the sales charts on fire any time soon and probably Xenonauts as well (do very well for an indie title). It will really depend on when XCOM:EU is released, because later this year looks like absolute hell and while I'll buy XCOM:EU, I'm not sure others will take that choice over some of the other things coming out in September/October/November.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Well that's impressive. Maybe they can add female soldiers now :P.
    ... recall that that was a joke ^.

This is not:

The current thinking is that [...] we'll add female soldiers at $200,000.

[...]

We're setting it at $200,000 because we think that it is an achievable target, but one that would be fantastic for us to hit. Even after Kickstarter have taken their cut and we've paid for all the rewards, we think it'll be enough for us to form a physical studio. Being in the same room would make life so much easier for us as we finish off the game.

[...]

EDIT - oh, and we might add new tilesets or other game additions as additional stretch goals in between these two, these are just the two headline acts!

EDIT 2 - just to explain our reasoning behind the female soldiers being at $200k, as there seems to be some confusion. We think $200k is an ambitious but achievable goal for the Kickstarter, given the response so far, so we put potentially the most interesting feature there to try and galvanise interest. We don't want people to just lose interest now the project is funded, so we're trying to spread our goals out so we don't achieve them all in the first week.

That's not to say if we "only" get $120k-$130k that we would definitely not put female soldiers in the game before release...but we want there to be something worth celebrating if / when we reach the big milestones (although there's less cause for celebration now I've told you we might do it anyway even if we don't hit $200k).
    That was a day or so ago, they say they'll take votes for the stretch goals now, though.

I bought and paid for Xenonauts as soon as the pre-order was available. I'll also be buying X-Com (Firaxis) as soon as they open up orders. These games compliment each other, no need for them to go against each other when Xenonauts is so cheap to buy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12