Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinite pushed back to Feb 2013

Infinite pushed back to Feb 2013

As explained by Kotaku

FrasnrasnrasnDickDastardlyrasnrasn...

Oh well... I guess I have more time to save my pennies, I suppose?

It's also up on Irrational's main page: A Message from Ken Levine in case you want to post a comment directly to them.

Personally, I'm fine with it. October was still far enough away that I felt it was a distant reward. And I know they will put the extra time to good use. The clincher is the comments about E3 and such. When was the last time a company made that kind of statement? I can't recall. But it shows me they really want to crunch hard and use their assets wisely up until Feb.

i don't mind either we've waited how long already? what's a few more months besides now i'll time to pick up and play Borderlands 2.

You know it's going to be some shoehorned in multiplayer, right? Well, no you don't, as it's not February of next year, but when it's released and there's multiplayer, I'm going to come back to this exact post and edit it. My edit will say, "haha, I told you so" or something to that effect. That's a long time from now, and I may very well change my mind on what I type up. Or there may be no multiplayer at - who even knows (but there will be)?

Anyway, watch this space.

I would rather them take their time and make a great game then rush it and make a less than stellar game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Tivilon View Post
    Anyway, watch this space.
    Can I watch the space in any of the hundred or so other posts on different forums where the exact same guess has been made?

Multiplayer isn't that big a stretch based on last week's job posting.

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Can I watch the space in any of the hundred or so other posts on different forums where the exact same guess has been made?

Multiplayer isn't that big a stretch based on last week's job posting.
    Hmm, sounds interesting, I still play, and love bs2 mp.Love it! Can't stop! really don't care who knows either!

I think it all depends on the true reason for the delay (which we may never know). A multitude of factors could have delayed the game--many completely outside Irrational's control. I can picture two very likely scenarios:

1) Like they've done in the past, IG decided to make a major change or two to improve the game, and needed more time, or
    2) The game is on-schedule and basically done, but it was pushed back by the publisher, so now IG has an extra four months to put in additional goodies that weren't on the "critical features" list previously. Move support? Multiplayer? 3D with optional Smell-O-Rama peripheral and electric shock vest for that you-are-there experience?

All I know for sure is that the crazy (and crazy talented) crew at IG tend to create games that I really dig. And if they want to hammer away at their creation for another four months, well, that's just four more months of magic I can eventually pop into my drive and play...

Yeah - I was super disappointed about the delay...and I personally don't buy that they need to make a few 'tweaks'. The game was 5 months from release and they're asking for another 5 months - that's more than tweaks for most companies, especially ones as competent as IG and especially for games that have had substantial development time already.

Mind you - it's all but speculation.

Personally - I think it's two-fold. Get multiplayer in there and get out of the way of GTAV. Both are things people have said over and over, but it makes a ton of sense. TakeTwo wouldn't bury Infinite by putting it out at the same time as GTA. And practically speaking: games with multiplayer tend to sell better, there's nothing wrong if 2K wants Infinite to sell lots and if dedicating some time to make a multiplayer is what it takes...so be it. Mass Effect 3 had awesome multiplayer for that universe and it didn't negatively impact the campaign in a quality standpoint whatsoever -- I'm sure these cats can manage something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Systemaddict View Post
    Mass Effect 3 had awesome multiplayer for that universe and it didn't negatively impact the campaign in a quality standpoint whatsoever -- I'm sure these cats can manage something similar.
    Come to think of it, I wonder if ME3 is part of the reason Irrational decided to go for multiplayer (assuming that is what they're actually doing). Mass Effect, like BioShock, is about a story driven single player experience, and multiplayer was absolutely unnecessary, and yet, it worked. I can see some of the Irrational guys being inspired by that and almost seeing it as a challenge to meet.

Wow, Ive been out sick with Pnemonia, and look what happens. The Forum moves (officially) and Mr. Levine releases the news about the push-back on the release date. Well, its good to be among friends who understand the disapointment.

Personally - I think it's two-fold. Get multiplayer in there and get out of the way of GTAV. Both are things people have said over and over, but it makes a ton of sense. TakeTwo wouldn't bury Infinite by putting it out at the same time as GTA. And practically speaking: games with multiplayer tend to sell better, there's nothing wrong if 2K wants Infinite to sell lots and if dedicating some time to make a multiplayer is what it takes...so be it. Mass Effect 3 had awesome multiplayer for that universe and it didn't negatively impact the campaign in a quality standpoint whatsoever -- I'm sure these cats can manage something similar.
    They still won't get out of the way of GTA V since nothing confirmed it would be released in fall 2012. Did you notice that Rockstar always release one IP by year and by this I mean just one game gets the full promotion until its final release date? they only focus on making one game per year with sufficient quality to meet their standards. This has been the case for Red Dead Redemption as LA Noire, MP 3 and many more before. So don't expect the next Rockstar game to be released in 2012... So cross that one out.
    My guess is they wanted to avoid many shooters during fall while they noticed Infinite needed to be even more astounding than their competitors. So will they take the time to polish the graphics, fluidity, animation, technology or take into account many of our suggestions in the old forum? who knows and I don't think I'd be happier knowing it for now.
    Let them come at us later (but not too late eh?) with clever propaganda and gameplay vids that make us chill!

Im still waiting for 'Red Dead Redemption' to come out on PC. (If its going to).

Ive gone back to play San Andreas again to see what elements they used to make the place look 'populated'
    (something that either a Rapture MMORPG or a solo-game going back to Old Rapture (history plotline) would need
    to do to look right)

Reminds me that I had wished that game had 3X as many missions AND a way to replay the main-line missions again at a later time (as they were generally more amusing than the sandbox 'missions')

Its great that they pushed it back, they want to work on the game more, make it better. Look at Valve, they take forever to make anything, but everyone of their games is amazing.

To be honest, that sucks. We won't even be able to play the game at all once the end of the world begins. How sad XD j/k

Quote Originally Posted by abyssmalcarnag3 View Post
    To be honest, that sucks. We won't even be able to play the game at all once the end of the world begins. How sad XD j/k
    A Forest of Kings
    By the way the posting dropped off, the end of the world already came.

I'm sure posting will pick back up once the media blackout is lifted.

Noooo... February, are you kidding me? I was ready for October. I'd rather them rush and make a great game than taking their time and making the same game with the same bugs....

Hmm if you see something logical in the post above, call me for the sake of my sanity ^^"

The date being pushed back sure is a bummer, but secretly I'm hoping for some 'marketing shenanigans' (quote) now that they have the time for it.

I was almost happy when i found this out, because by October, i would have had probably no money, and its better that i can save up for the most "expensive" edition of it now....

The push was a bit annoying for me, but I know its for the best, to create the best shooter with the best storyline of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by losstarot View Post
    Hmm if you see something logical in the post above, call me for the sake of my sanity ^^"

LOL, have you ever heard about 'sarcasm'? One can only take the same BS ('yes, good, it has been delayed so they will make a better game') so many times. Making a 'better' game is very rarely linked to 'delays'. Just a thought....

Wow...who in a million years would have bet that DOOM3 would be released on Oct 16th instead of Infinite?

I will gladly wait as long as it takes for the completion of a game of Infinite's calibre. It, already, by the looks of it, will probably pole-vault itself into the lofty heights of my most coveted favourite games list; I really hope 'up' will be as atmospheric as 'down'. But, as per the wait, I have no idea what's going on behind those closed doors, I can only hope they're removing any flies from ointment and applying high-end polish.

Since they probably didnt budget for extra work (and seriously, how likely are they to be able to talk the money people into that ??), they likely are on the second tier 'patch' staff already.

'Polish' hopefully means bug fixing -- to have the worst gone preferably before it ships (or patchable online registration)

Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    Since they probably didnt budget for extra work (and seriously, how likely are they to be able to talk the money people into that ??), they likely are on the second tier 'patch' staff already.

'Polish' hopefully means bug fixing -- to have the worst gone preferably before it ships (or patchable online registration)
    Irrational isn't an indie studio - so they don't necessarily have to go to independent financiers and ask for a specific, set amount from which to make the game. 2K has a running operating cost for the studio because they own it...and 2K isn't doing too poorly right now. It's much more reasonable to think that any delay was discussed with 2K, which understood and accepted the costs. They're not dumb enough to wait 4-5 years and then screw it up over 5 months of dev costs.

Irrational isn't an indie studio - so they don't necessarily have to go to independent financiers and ask for a specific, set amount from which to make the game. 2K has a running operating cost for the studio because they own it...and 2K isn't doing too poorly right now. It's much more reasonable to think that any delay was discussed with 2K, which understood and accepted the costs. They're not dumb enough to wait 4-5 years and then screw it up over 5 months of dev costs.
    No but there is this thing called internal budgeting that can get in the way. There is also staff (and their families) who assumed they would get vacations after a year or two of 60 hour weeks. Employees also can be scheduled to shift to new projects that now they have to decide about delays for those. Oh, and 4-5 months of extra full/partial staff/facilities costs can really eat into profits, especially in the current economic slowdown which makes actual 'profits' much less certain.

But then for all we know this all was planned out from the start (avoiding release at the same time as competing products is not that new a concept) and Hyping it big in a quiet time was just a marketing strategy.

may 9 to now about 3 months ....

Sometime soon the planned sequence for PR stuff is to resume (if theres anything left of the game to show us).

But then didnt they make major changes/mutations to Bioshock at the last minute before it was released ???

So who's to say what all it will wind up being.

What is there left to show us, though? They have already showed quite a lot and I wonder how they will try to restart the hype closer to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkreng View Post
    What is there left to show us, though? They have already showed quite a lot and I wonder how they will try to restart the hype closer to release.

Maybe they will do some kind of promotional stunts like they did with BS2 with the Something in the Sea gimmicks

Columbia Balloons mailings if they want to do it on the cheap...

Even though I found out about it after it was done, Something in the Sea seemed really cool. And it might indeed be a good idea as a viral marketing thing.

Yes it was at the time. But it costs money to set up, so at this stage, do they really need to lose money even more by making an ARG to promote the game? I don't think so. Trailers, medias, interviews is the way to go for many expected titles, as long as they build the hype until the actual release date.

Quote Originally Posted by losstarot View Post
    Yes it was at the time. But it costs money to set up, so at this stage, do they really need to lose money even more by making an ARG to promote the game? I don't think so. Trailers, medias, interviews is the way to go for many expected titles, as long as they build the hype until the actual release date.
    Maybe after the multi-month blackout, they will resume their originally planned sequence (whatever else that might be).

But that is where I feel it might be a little problematic. They where marketing for a release in Autumn. Now that the game is pushed back the hype that was supposed to peak around the release of the game dying down. Trying to restart that hype again, especially since they have already shown so much(which leaves me to assume that there is not much they can or want to show) is going to be tough.

Hey guys! Only SIX more months of waiting! ...crawls back in his hole

Well you'd better be! (# ゚Д゚)つ

With the constant deluge of new titles, waiting isn't all that tough. It's more like, "I'll play these dozen titles and one day I'll wake up and--POW!--BioShock Infinite will be out."

I can't see the distant glow of Feb, 2013 with supernovas like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2, and Assassin's Creed 3 right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    With the constant deluge of new titles, waiting isn't all that tough. It's more like, "I'll play these dozen titles and one day I'll wake up and--POW!--BioShock Infinite will be out."

I can't see the distant glow of Feb, 2013 with supernovas like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2, and Assassin's Creed 3 right around the corner.
    Not only that, but I'am waiting for this game since late 2010...and that passed way faster that I thought it would...Some more 6 months is gonna be a easy job!

It's kinda weird how there's practically no news on this game anymore. I REALLY hope it doesn't get canceled after all that's happened recently!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast