Thread: I feel like 2k needs advice if they are working on the Darkness 3.

I feel like 2k needs advice if they are working on the Darkness 3.

I think it makes a lot of sense to work with the fans to create a game they will enjoy, instead of spending millions to make a game nobody wants. I wish there would be confirmation as to if they are making the darkness 3, or if it will be tossed at a different company. I think that it is pretty well known that the darkness 1 is the favorite child. It's mine for many reasons. The first is the gameplay, meaning the sounds, lighting, physics, combat, shooting, variety of powers, etc. Everything that comes with playing the game I guess. Next is the story. I like the story in the first darkness best because it is more emotional, probably because it was paced better. I feel like 2k was trying to appeal to the combat most of the time so emotional moments never last and always feel rushed into, basically burning the match at both ends. It sucks. There could have been great moments if there were better pacing in the game but every good scene was rushed to get you back to killing. The game shouldn't be about killing. Back to the gameplay. The controls are very limiting in video games. You have to be smart about where you put what to make sure that you have the maximum abilities and fluidity or ease of use. Controls are very important in a game. I think a weapon wheel/ power wheel/ whatever you want to call it is almost essential to a game, especially a game like this where you are working with the versatile tool of Darkness. Choosing your powers in the middle of the fight? That would break up the combat right? No. The combat should be paced and shouldn't be so linear. It's almost the same experience each because of the linearity. Pacing is hard to do in combat. I think that for pacing, it should be variability in the amount of enemies. So some rooms have many enemies, upwards of 20 and some rooms should have a few guys. Also, there should be some times where you just aren't killing anyone meaning transitional periods between rooms and also missions where you aren't killing anyone. This doesn't mean sneaking. It really just means a mission in which there is no combat, or at least the point of you being there isn't to kill, but things happen so maybe at the end of the mission you wind up killing everyone. Variables in difficulty will help the pacing, though you are supposed to be invincible and with a tool like the darkness, you should be able to tear people apart from the inside, I guess this doesn't really apply. With the darkness armor, Jackie is supposed to be invincible and the only thing that can take his armor off is light, so you could implement light into the game better so if someone shines a light at your front, your back is still protected. Jackie should have a lot of powers. I recommend taking a few tips from prototype. Jackie should be able to make whatever out of darkness whether it be claws, bladed arms, darklings, women, whatever. The darkness guns helped jackie to control the darkness in the first game. Why it was rid of I have no idea. Provide an explanation or give it back. If you notice, jackie is supposed to be able to stop enemies using the darkness. It comes all around them and cocoons them. Why there was such an odd thing as swarm, I have no idea. I posted another thing like this before. Both out of boredom. I couldn't care less if my advice is taken or not because I'm just that bored.

I agree with you entirely. But once again its pointless to debate against people that dont enjoy pacing or the rpg element. The darkness ( first one) is still my favorite game title of all time, for the various reasons you listed. But you have to be honest, it was a flop, if you ask the majority of gamers I bet very few have played it, fewer enjoyed it. I find the same thing with the first mass effect, same principle. People are caring less about interactive stories and more about killing and shooting and thats how they get their kicks. It's quite sad in my opinion that they dont value something like the first Darkness, and that it's sequel varied soo differently from the first. In my opinion yes it was enjoyable, yes it was cool and nifty with the newer powers and the godlike status that I thought jackie in the comics had as compared to his xbox counterpart that was virtually mortal. But the sequel made me feel very little. I really did enjoy the orchestral score of the first game and its visuals, its visuals are still to date, in my opinion, better than any other 360 game.

I would recommend they change the visuals back to the original starbreeze darkness style. That way I can actually enjoy the game environments and not just breeze past them looking for another thug to disembowel.

The darkness one had that feeling when you finished it, as the screen faded to black, the credits started rolling and that epic tomahawk song came on, that I had just witnessed something life-changing, revolutionary. The entire atmosphere of the game, its darkness, was from the environments. In the second game everything looked as if it were sent through a photoshop filter (i quote this from someone somewhere im sure).

Red face The darkness 3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown- View Post
    I think it makes a lot of sense to work with the fans to create a game they will enjoy, instead of spending millions to make a game nobody wants. I wish there would be confirmation as to if they are making the darkness 3, or if it will be tossed at a different company. I think that it is pretty well known that the darkness 1 is the favorite child. It's mine for many reasons. The first is the gameplay, meaning the sounds, lighting, physics, combat, shooting, variety of powers, etc. Everything that comes with playing the game I guess. Next is the story. I like the story in the first darkness best because it is more emotional, probably because it was paced better. I feel like 2k was trying to appeal to the combat most of the time so emotional moments never last and always feel rushed into, basically burning the match at both ends. It sucks. There could have been great moments if there were better pacing in the game but every good scene was rushed to get you back to killing. The game shouldn't be about killing. Back to the gameplay. The controls are very limiting in video games. You have to be smart about where you put what to make sure that you have the maximum abilities and fluidity or ease of use. Controls are very important in a game. I think a weapon wheel/ power wheel/ whatever you want to call it is almost essential to a game, especially a game like this where you are working with the versatile tool of Darkness. Choosing your powers in the middle of the fight? That would break up the combat right? No. The combat should be paced and shouldn't be so linear. It's almost the same experience each because of the linearity. Pacing is hard to do in combat. I think that for pacing, it should be variability in the amount of enemies. So some rooms have many enemies, upwards of 20 and some rooms should have a few guys. Also, there should be some times where you just aren't killing anyone meaning transitional periods between rooms and also missions where you aren't killing anyone. This doesn't mean sneaking. It really just means a mission in which there is no combat, or at least the point of you being there isn't to kill, but things happen so maybe at the end of the mission you wind up killing everyone. Variables in difficulty will help the pacing, though you are supposed to be invincible and with a tool like the darkness, you should be able to tear people apart from the inside, I guess this doesn't really apply. With the darkness armor, Jackie is supposed to be invincible and the only thing that can take his armor off is light, so you could implement light into the game better so if someone shines a light at your front, your back is still protected. Jackie should have a lot of powers. I recommend taking a few tips from prototype. Jackie should be able to make whatever out of darkness whether it be claws, bladed arms, darklings, women, whatever. The darkness guns helped jackie to control the darkness in the first game. Why it was rid of I have no idea. Provide an explanation or give it back. If you notice, jackie is supposed to be able to stop enemies using the darkness. It comes all around them and cocoons them. Why there was such an odd thing as swarm, I have no idea. I posted another thing like this before. Both out of boredom. I couldn't care less if my advice is taken or not because I'm just that bored.
    I agree cause the darkness 2 left me and all who played it with so anticipation but the darkness was our favorite game there's a bit of diffrence between the darkness and the second one but the ending of the darkness 2 was so awsome that i agree that they make a third one but i only have one question will the darkness 3 we'll be ready for next year or at least it will be ready in 2014 hope to hear from u soon Bringer of death