Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Melee weapon in Bioshock Infinite?

  1. #1

    Question Melee weapon in Bioshock Infinite?

    Well,what do you think will be the melee weapon in Bioshock Infinite? There will be one? We had a wrench and a drill already,but I watched every demo of the new game and lots of interviews, none of them talking about it.There is an image where Booker hits an enemy with the Sky-Hook( http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/site...lee_LowRez.jpg ),but it's being used on context,would be very odd to use it in any regular situation other than jumping off the Sky-Line. Any thoughts?

    (Sorry if there's already a thread for that,but I didn't find one,and sorry for gramatical mistakes,english is not my native language.)

  2. #2
    A melee weapon is more than likely to be in the game, whether it be the sky hook or something else. It would be interesting to see a diversity in melee weapons, similar to how the guns have classes, where each are used differently and have different speeds and damage, but you can only use one at a time.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by BruisedBananas View Post
    A melee weapon is more than likely to be in the game, whether it be the sky hook or something else. It would be interesting to see a diversity in melee weapons, similar to how the guns have classes, where each are used differently and have different speeds and damage, but you can only use one at a time.
    Yes,it's likely to be in the game,the melee weapons in both Bioshocks were really handy and probably one of the best weapons,but I just think it's weird they didn't show a melee in the gameplay demonstrations,maybe they are trying to keep the surprise or something.

  4. Apparently, the sky hook is the melee weapon. I think I heard it in an interview or another video, but but I think someone said the skyhook is the melee weapon of the game. I could be wrong, or they could add another melee weapon into the game, but who knows.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    216
    In some interview(don't know exactly which one) Ken said that the Sky-Hook is the melee weapon of the game.This is one of the reasons why they change the original design of the Sky-hook from the first demo to the E3 demo.The first one was too fragile for a melee weapon.

  6. #6
    Any of the hand weapons (pistol/rifle) could be used in Melee (swinging them like you could in BS2) . It depends if they are going to limit you to 2 weapons or allow you to carry 700lb of wepaons and amoo around as per many games.

    If part of the game was 'not' killing some opponents (or at least doing it quietly) then having specialized melee weapons might be needed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fort Frolic, Rapture
    Posts
    5,599
    I would love to see something along the lines of the game Condemned where you could just snag things from the environment. I know that is probably a long shot but it would be a blast.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FtRapture View Post
    I would love to see something along the lines of the game Condemned where you could just snag things from the environment. I know that is probably a long shot but it would be a blast.
    The newer game engines might allow more general use of objects and interacting with props in the terrain (and more learning for the player to figure out what works and what doesnt). If they can get away from custom animations for each weapon then all kinds of substitutions becomes possible. Thinking about it, the same could go for the NPCs to give them more flexibility.

    If and when they do a Rapture MMORPG having more stuff to manipulate like that would help keep the players busy.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vsharres View Post
    In some interview(don't know exactly which one) Ken said that the Sky-Hook is the melee weapon of the game.This is one of the reasons why they change the original design of the Sky-hook from the first demo to the E3 demo.The first one was too fragile for a melee weapon.
    Interesting,thanks for clarifying!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vsharres View Post
    In some interview(don't know exactly which one) Ken said that the Sky-Hook is the melee weapon of the game.This is one of the reasons why they change the original design of the Sky-hook from the first demo to the E3 demo.The first one was too fragile for a melee weapon.
    Old one still looked like a nice chunk of metal that would rip your face open or bust ribs if swung at you.

    I think the major reason for the shape change was to make it larger to look like something you could more easily hook onto the Skyline while 'on-the-fly'. They must be going to change the design of the skyline mechanism because the first hook looked better to work with the moving chain (slung from underneath) seen in the various pictures, versus the new one that looks more like it would work with a cable.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    183
    I hope we'll have the Riper Knife.

  12. #12
    Bowie knife will do just fine.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pain Train Station in Train Town
    Posts
    4,145
    For whatever reason, it seems like melee weapons are usually blunt in survival FPSes. BS1 had the wrench and Half-Life has the infamous crowbar. It would be a bit odd to have a hook as the main melee in this game, just doesn't seem very practical in combat.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    For whatever reason, it seems like melee weapons are usually blunt in survival FPSes. BS1 had the wrench and Half-Life has the infamous crowbar. It would be a bit odd to have a hook as the main melee in this game, just doesn't seem very practical in combat.
    Splash of blood is to graphic and rending the target objects mesh (changing the shape of the object with the visible cuts) as much more complicated to present graphicly (versus simpler blood decals we saw in bioshock).

    One hopes the newer game engine gives them more leeway (if they can stomach presenting such details).

    Mechanical things could also have pieces fly off (less squeamish...)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    764
    I don't know much, but from the looks of it, the Skyhook might actually be the melee weapon. Of course, you might be able to melee with your guns as well though, so i have no clue.

  16. #16
    Maybe if you got extra points with Elizabeth for 'conking' people instead of putting a bullet thru them (or other rending/tearing/sploding). Not sure what those points would get you, but allowing you a different 'approach' to situations (and having proper/real 'consequences') might be one of those 'innovations' that they keep touting.

  17. #17
    Melee weapons are extremely essential especially in games like Bioshock. It's so hard at times you are completely out of ammo. A melle weapon should be there for you. Or even better a variety of them.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Eftychios Kaimakkamis View Post
    Melee weapons are extremely essential especially in games like Bioshock. It's so hard at times you are completely out of ammo. A melle weapon should be there for you. Or even better a variety of them.
    If they give you situational opportunities where it would be effective.... I saw some of the trailer scenes where half a dozen enemies (or more) were firing at you with guns (and were really lousy shots - which is probably for the good to make the game playable). Melee just doesnt work that well in the real world if the opponent just emptys a gun into your face (or worse while you have to run all the way to them).

    Ambush situations - where you can come up on a single opponent or suddenly around a blind corner aught to be available in a cityscape. Sneak-by situations (where you might alert those 6+ guys with guns unless you do the deed quietly) would/should be provided. It looks like there will be lots of hghly choreographed scenes in this game where they could stage that kind of situation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •