Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do inquisitors work exactly?

How do inquisitors work exactly?

The in game tool tip says the Remove Heresy will remove "other" religions from the city... but how does the game decide what is the "other" religion?

Here is what happened to me...

I founded Christianity in my capital which became the Holy City. The Dutch sent a Great Prophet to my capital (which apparently can enter your civ even without open borders) and converted my capital to Buddism.

Ok, so I figured I would buy an inquisitor to remove this other religion because I'm thinking "other" would mean, not the one I founded. Well, I used the inquisitor and it removed the 2 people left who were still following Christianity making the city 100% Buddidism. So basically my inquisitor actually helped my enemy and hurt me.

Ok, so now I was thinking the inquisitor must consider the "other" religion to be the one that is not majority. So I loaded up an autosave to test this out. This time I sent the Inquisitor to another one of my cities where Christianity was the majority religion with only 1 follower of Buddism. Well, guess what? The inquisitor removed all the followers of Christianity and converted the city to Buddism!

So does this mean that whatever religion my capital is following at the moment becomes my "state religion" and my inquisitors will remove anything else, including the religion that I founded?

If so, how do I get the followers of Buddism out of my Holy City and convert it back to the religon I founded? I guess I have to use a missionary to re-spread my religon and convert people back to Christianity but now I really don't understand how to use an inquisitor. It seems to always remove the followers that I dont want to remove.

Each inquisitor, like each missionary, has a religion. This is the religion that was followed by the majority in the city they were bought in, at the time they were bought. Missionaries spread their own religion. Inquisitors remove faiths other than their own.

That didn't answer his question!

He asked how to return his city to the religion HE founded. Well?

06-19-2012
    And the answer looks good.

What? No, it is not.

Missionaries and Inquisitors spread/remove religion based on the majority religion in the city they're founded.

If an OTHER religion becomes the MAJORITY religion, how do you then remove the OTHER religion without M's or I's that existed before the conversion?

So your desire is a bit different. He asked how the tool works, you are looking for completed picture. No worries, I'll try to connect the dots.

The most obvious is to spawn your M or I from a city that still has your religion, and waddle him over to the problem site.
    or
    Spawn a Great Prophet (these will always have your created religion) and use him.
    or
    Hope your pressure slowly converts the city back.

Actually, my question isn't different at all if you had read the last paragraph in the original post.

I thought Great Prophet might be the key. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicom View Post
    Actually, my question isn't different at all if you had read the last paragraph in the original post.

I thought Great Prophet might be the key. Thanks.
    When reading the last paragraph of the first post, I assume there is still a city that has Christianity as a major religion (otherwise there is no way to get a M for that faith). In that city, buy an I and walk that over to the holy city. Perform his thing and the city will be Christian again.

Also the Holy City will always give pressure for that faith, even if it's not visible. Thus an Holy City will (in time) always convert back).

You can also defend with an I. Make sure to have one of the right religion. Put that one in a city with that religion and just let it sit there. That city no longer can be converted to another religion.

My experience so far, is that, in your case, a Inquisitor bought in a city with Christianity, removes ALL non-friendly religious followers from the city it is used in - and the city such becomes "pure" again. But you can not buy a Inquisitator in a city that has already been infected with a heathen religion as that Inquisitator would spread the WRONG religion.

And since I don't like petty realigious squabble anyway, I always name my religion to something compleatly different. Currently I'm spreading a religion called "Rainydayism" since it was raining outside the day I founded the religion.

Just so you know, Holy Cities won't ALWAYS convert back. I have effectively removed religions from the game as they no longer appear in the Religion Menu. They will revert for a while, but if they're surrounded by another religion and have had an Inquisitor purge the religion, external pressure will surpass the internal pressure at some point.

Just think of inquisitors as single-shot great prophets. And yes they have a specific religion according to where they were trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Joketa View Post
    Just so you know, Holy Cities won't ALWAYS convert back. I have effectively removed religions from the game as they no longer appear in the Religion Menu. They will revert for a while, but if they're surrounded by another religion and have had an Inquisitor purge the religion, external pressure will surpass the internal pressure at some point.
    Pretty sure this is not true. If you capture someone's Holy City and use an Inquisitor on it (*NOT* a Great Prophet) the city will lose its status of Holy City and therefore will not convert back.

Yes, you do have to capture a city before you can use an Inquisitor on it. So perhaps if you're still in possession of your Holy City it will still find a way to wiggle back.

Quote Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
    Pretty sure this is not true. If you capture someone's Holy City and use an Inquisitor on it (*NOT* a Great Prophet) the city will lose its status of Holy City and therefore will not convert back.
    No, it stays a Holy City, just that doesn't show up in the tooltip if there are no followers there.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    No, it stays a Holy City, just that doesn't show up in the tooltip if there are no followers there.
    You're wrong, actually. I just tried it. I was neighbour to India. He founded Hinduism (and was a real pain because he got Itinerant preachers and spread to all of my cities but that's another story). So I captured Delhi and burned it with an Inquisitor and then spread my own religion with a Great Prophet. Sure enough after a while Hindu believers started to pop up again courtesy of high pressure from surrounding cities, but there was no Holy City status. I can't post a screenshot right now because it's late and I'm going to catch a plane early in the morning, but I'll be back by the weekend and can test it further and give you a screenshot.

You're wrong, actually. I just tried it. I was neighbour to India. He founded Hinduism (and was a real pain because he got Itinerant preachers and spread to all of my cities but that's another story). So I captured Delhi and burned it with an Inquisitor and then spread my own religion with a Great Prophet. Sure enough after a while Hindu believers started to pop up again courtesy of high pressure from surrounding cities, but there was no Holy City status. I can't post a screenshot right now because it's late and I'm going to catch a plane early in the morning, but I'll be back by the weekend and can test it further and give you a screenshot.
    That's very strange. Clearly it is still Holy City on some level - it has the special eternal pressure that Holy Cities have. But the tooltip doesn't display it. I wonder if it counts as a Holy City for the Grand Temple.

Yeah, given that contradiction, I'm not sure that's intended. I don't suppose you could post a save (or a few) to show this? Most useful is before you inquisitor-blast it, and one that shows the religion coming back, where it should say 'Holy City' but doesn't.

Whack them online somewhere and post a link, if you could. That makes it easier for other folks to see what you're seeing, and it might be useful for the devs if this isn't intended.

That's very strange. Clearly it is still Holy City on some level - it has the special eternal pressure that Holy Cities have. But the tooltip doesn't display it. I wonder if it counts as a Holy City for the Grand Temple.
    Just to clarify, the believers didn't come back courtesy of the special internal pressure. They came back from external pressure courtesy of surrounding cities (he had spam-converted entire Russia (who was going wide) on our borders, and he had Itinerant preachers, and even though I had Religious Texts, the shear number of Russian cities caused a massive pressure of Hinduism from over there on my side).

I'll see what I can do for you later, I don't think I have a post-inquisitor save around, but I'll have a look later today or one of the upcoming days.

Here's a screenshot:

I don't have a save-file from prior to removing the religion, but it probably wouldn't help you anyway as I play with a gazilion of different mods (none of which should influence this part, however). You'll have to trust me on my word that Delhi was in fact Holy City for Hinduism.

IME, you never can tell what odd effects an mod might have.

Do you do modding yourself? The game programming is not random, things in the code controls a specific parameter, and you can't accidentally change the core mechanics of how an Inquisitor works by adding a new building or even by tweaking the values of different beliefs. But I guess you could test for yourself if you have doubts as to the validity of this.

Yes, I do modding myself, and I know that the game code is complex enough that unforeseen side effects are far from unheard-of.

Not reading any responses I am going to answer the question to the best of my ability.

Missionaries and Inquisitors NEED to be purchased with religion in a city that has religion attached to it.

When you purchase a Missionary in one of your cities it will righteously spread the religion that was displayed next to the city name when you bought him.

Example: If you are Taoism but the city that you want to buy a Missionary doesn't display the Yin Yang for Taoism, but instead it displays a Cross for Christianity next to the city name it will be a Missionary for Christianity because the symbol next to the city(the majority belief) was Christianity, so it will only be able to spread the word of Christianity.

When you purchase a Inquisitor in one of your cities it will righteously combat a foreign religion that is not the religion he was founded in.

Example: If you are Taoism but the city that you want to buy a Inquisitor doesn't display the Yin Yang for Taoism, but instead it displays a Star for Judaism next to the name of the city you now have an Inquisitor representing Judaism because that was the primary belief in the city he was founded in - regardless of what the religion you founded was. If you use this Inquisitor to remove a religion from a city it will focus on all religions that ARE NOT Judaism, removing your Taoism totally from the city if that is where you used him.

If this doesn't make sense sorry.

Basically, whatever religious symbol is displayed next to the city name that you purchase your Religious units in will be what that Missionary or Inquisitor represents, and will determine which religion the Missionary spreads and which religion the Inquisitor wont remove.

If that also doesn't make sense, sorry.

I know that the game code is complex enough that unforeseen side effects are far from unheard-of.
    That is true, but changing core mechanics is still pretty rare. But arguably, if one wants to be perfectly certain, one should change it unmodded. I'm not the first one who reports this mechanism, however.

Quote Originally Posted by stesergio View Post
    The in game tool tip says the Remove Heresy will remove "other" religions from the city... but how does the game decide what is the "other" religion?

Here is what happened to me...

I founded Christianity in my capital which became the Holy City. The Dutch sent a Great Prophet to my capital (which apparently can enter your civ even without open borders) and converted my capital to Buddism.

Ok, so I figured I would buy an inquisitor to remove this other religion because I'm thinking "other" would mean, not the one I founded. Well, I used the inquisitor and it removed the 2 people left who were still following Christianity making the city 100% Buddidism. So basically my inquisitor actually helped my enemy and hurt me.

Ok, so now I was thinking the inquisitor must consider the "other" religion to be the one that is not majority. So I loaded up an autosave to test this out. This time I sent the Inquisitor to another one of my cities where Christianity was the majority religion with only 1 follower of Buddism. Well, guess what? The inquisitor removed all the followers of Christianity and converted the city to Buddism!

So does this mean that whatever religion my capital is following at the moment becomes my "state religion" and my inquisitors will remove anything else, including the religion that I founded?

If so, how do I get the followers of Buddism out of my Holy City and convert it back to the religon I founded? I guess I have to use a missionary to re-spread my religon and convert people back to Christianity but now I really don't understand how to use an inquisitor. It seems to always remove the followers that I dont want to remove.
    So what happened here is you bought a Buddhist inquisitor, and purged all other religions from the city.

When you use faith to buy units or buildings in a city, they will be units for whatever the dominant religion is. If there is no dominant religion, you can't buy them at all.

So a Christian city will buy Christian inquisitors. A Buddhist city will buy Buddhist inquisitors. The same goes for great prophets, and even military units bought with the holy warriors belief. Anything bought with faith will keep that faith.

An inquisitor will remove all other religions from a city, leaving only the influence of their religion. If there is any pressure for their religion (even if it isn't listed), that religion will have an increased following after the inquisition. So if a city of 7 has 5 Buddhists and 1 Christian, a Christian inquisitor will remove all the Buddhists and there may be more than 1 Christian.

Holy cities seem to always generate pressure for their religion, even if that religion is removed. The religion will come back faster if there are cities nearby that still follow it. If there is significantly more pressure for another religion, it takes more time for the religion to come back. If the pressure for another religion is strong enough, the holy city may not return to its old religion at all.

So the simplest answer: buy an inquisitor or great prophet (if possible) in a Christian city, then use that to remove Buddhism.

A related but different question: I've seen followers of a religion actually decrease without an inquisitor showing up. What causes that to happen?

And on a side note, can someone remind me what it means when a city's label is marked with a little pink/magenta building icon? Is that a holy city?

Sorry, haven't played in a while.

Sounds like one religion is in decline because another religion is out pressuring it.

The other icon is letting you know that city was a city-state. Liberating it can be nice.

I thought pressure, as well as missionaires, merely convert the unreligious part of the population that's up for grabs. Once a city flips to a religion, it only unflips if an inquisitor or prophet pays a visit, or the city's population grows sufficiently that the religion no longer claims a majority share.

No?

Nope. You can steal followers from other religions.

If the pressure is sufficiently outperformed, you can convert followers of other religions just with natural pressure.

Im reading all these confusing posts.. I mean.. Is it really that hard to buy an inquisitor and camp him inside your city?

I haven't seen anyone make it clear so before I leave Im gonna say this.. Even if your entire civ is following some other religion but you have 1 small city far away still barely holding on to yours... Purchasing an I or M will still follow that city's religion.

Actually... I used to believe it worked exactly as you describe, but a recent game suggested without sufficient external influence the captured Holy City pressure will re-exert itself. This doubt was raised when quite by surprise, after countless games of relying on my Inquisitor to completely wipe out all signs of heresy in a captured Holy City, one did come back (I too had Religious Texts). So while it's highly unlikely, I have seen it happen. Also, as I recall, said city was on an isthmus, limiting the amount of pressure being exerted because it couldn't be surrounded with right-minded cities (LOL).

An Holy city will always exert pressure. First only on the Holy City to become the dominant religion again there. Only then will it spread to other cities again. I believe the only way to keep that from happening, is keeping an inquisitor from a different religion in that city.
    Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!

Steam profile: donald23

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    An Holy city will always exert pressure. First only on the Holy City to become the dominant religion again there. Only then will it spread to other cities again. I believe the only way to keep that from happening, is keeping an inquisitor from a different religion in that city.
    From my experience, the passive Inquisitor effect (stationing an Inquisitor in or adjacent to your city) only prevents Missionaries or Prophets from actively spreading religion to the city. The Inquisitor does not stop spread from pressure (internal Holy City pressure or external pressure). But since he is there, once you notice the rival captured Holy City is recovering too much, you can expend him to remove the followers and delay the re-conversion.

This is what I've noticed in my games anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by chichian View Post
    From my experience, the passive Inquisitor effect (stationing an Inquisitor in or adjacent to your city) only prevents Missionaries or Prophets from actively spreading religion to the city. The Inquisitor does not stop spread from pressure (internal Holy City pressure or external pressure). But since he is there, once you notice the rival captured Holy City is recovering too much, you can expend him to remove the followers and delay the re-conversion.
    This is my understanding as well (Inquisitor).

donald23 - Can you confirm this undocumented passive behavior of the inquisitor? It would just be great to know if that is indeed a feature of the unit. Of course, if someone else knows, please chime in

This thread has now risen from the dead twice.

I'm about to start a religion purely based on these miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelripper View Post
    This is my understanding as well (Inquisitor).

donald23 - Can you confirm this undocumented passive behavior of the inquisitor? It would just be great to know if that is indeed a feature of the unit. Of course, if someone else knows, please chime in
    Hmm, I wrote that from memory. I was sure that an Inquisitor prevented all pressure from applying to the city he is next to or in.

I'd have to test that to be sure again...
    Playing Firaxis games and helping out in the Official 2K Forums!

Steam profile: donald23

Inquisitors have a function that disables the "spread religion" of an enemy´s missionary/GP next to the city they are in. They don´t stop pressure, I think that would be quite broken.

I erased other civ religion and my own one time in my holy city like that, now I declare war as soon as I spot foreign missionaries on my borders lol. I keep eye and make sure my religion is not changed .
    so yeah it is religious war and those wonders that spawn missionaries and gp are powerful sometimes , nobody yet use religion properly in multiplayer not even social policies connected to religion and yet they cry how unbalanced they are .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast