Thread: How do you enhance your religion?

How do you enhance your religion?

I have received my second great prophet. First, I sent him to a foreign city to spread my religion there. Then I brought him back home to the holy city but I can't find a button to enhance religion.

As soon as you used it for spreading religion, it can't be used anymore for enhancing it.

Don't worry, great prophets spawn rather quickly (at least they did in my last game), you can enhance your religion then...

Is there only one enhance? I've enhanced once, but subsequent great prophets don't give the option.

After adding a 2nd follower belief and an enhancer belief, you cannot enhance your religion again. There's nothing left to enhance.

Is it more effective to spread one's religion with Missionairies or Great Prophets?

Great Prophets are more powerful than missionaries as they can be used more than once I believe and are stronger at spreading the religion. However, missionaries I would assume are easier to acquire than Prophets.

Supposedly, Great Prophets will remove any other religions from the target as well, making them far more powerful. That's according to the entry under game concepts in the civilopedia, haven't checked it in game

Missionaries can be used twice, and don't flip the WHOLE city, just most of it. Prophets can be used three times and flip the entire city, I believe.

I believe its five uses for a prophet, and he acts as both a missionary and inquisitor when used (i.e. he also eliminates opposing religions).

Quote Originally Posted by steveg700 View Post
    I believe its five uses for a prophet, and he acts as both a missionary and inquisitor when used (i.e. he also eliminates opposing religions).
    Oh wow, that's stronger than I thought! Very nice.

I believe its five uses for a prophet,
    Mine only had four. Missionaries start with two, but Great Mosque of Djenne gives an extra one. Perhaps that applies to the Great Prophet also if it appears in that city? That makes the four that I had. Fifth one maybe from a belief?

and he acts as both a missionary and inquisitor when used (i.e. he also eliminates opposing religions).
    Used one in game and can confirm this action. Creates followers of the Great Prophets religion and eliminates any other religions.

I concur with Strudo76 and steveg700, if you see an enemy great prophet in your territory, your cities are about to flip. My current match with Byzantium, Spain got frisky with their Great Prophets and Missionaries and started to convert my cities. 3 conquered spanish cities, an armada blockading the rest of her coast, and an religious purge, no more spanish religion.

Side note: If you play as Byzantium (my current favorite), you can chose one extra belief for your religion.

Yeah, with Byzantium, I guess you'd want to aggressively keep your cities from being flipped.

OTOH, playing as Austria, I picked Papal Primacy as my founder belief (+15 influence with converted CS's) and Holy Warriors (buy units with faith). My plan was just to convert only some of my cities, because the founder belief isn't helping them and I don't need every city to have the Holy Warriors capability (just the ones with barracks). I welcomed India's Confuscianism with open arms, because they grant cathedrals. Flip away!

Turns out the Papal Primacy is a raw deal, as it does not stack with Aesthetics from the Patronage sopol tree. So once I got Aesthetics, I basically no longer had a founder belief. Total shaft. And anyone who picks that particular founder belief is likely to go the Patronage route.

Hmm... I was under the impression they did stack - they both modify the resting point, don't they?

Turns out the Papal Primacy is a raw deal, as it does not stack with Aesthetics from the Patronage sopol tree. So once I got Aesthetics, I basically no longer had a founder belief. Total shaft. And anyone who picks that particular founder belief is likely to go the Patronage route.
    Did for me. The resting point was 35 with both. It just doesn't jump straight there any more, but increases at the standard rate until it reaches the resting point. Was good as it meant any city state with my religion was at friend level by default.

Prophets are for your own empire, you can easily root out heresy and replace foreign religions with your own. Missionaries and inquistioners exist for spreading your own religion, and cost significantly more (+100 %) than a great prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Strudo76 View Post
    Did for me. The resting point was 35 with both. It just doesn't jump straight there any more, but increases at the standard rate until it reaches the resting point. Was good as it meant any city state with my religion was at friend level by default.
    Thanks for the comments. I'll have to go back and check, but the CS's I converted did not default to friend. Maybe I didn't give the resting point enough time to reach its resting point.

Has anyone figured out how pressure works? I know it's a 10-tile radius from a given city, but what is causing the pressure? Simply the number of followers, or the actual faith output of the city?

All my great prophets only had 3 conversion attempts. And you also can't make a holy site out of them if you use a conversion attempt. So basically if you do one conversion, you'll have to do all three, they won't be good for anything else.

I wish I knew exactly how the pressure worked too. The thing I can't figure out if a city gets pressure from its own followers...?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordanvind View Post
    Prophets are for your own empire, you can easily root out heresy and replace foreign religions with your own. Missionaries and inquistioners exist for spreading your own religion, and cost significantly more (+100 %) than a great prophet.
    Prophets increase in price with each one you get - so usually, they are far more expensive in faith. If they appear automatically (before faith buying comes in at whatever ear it is it comes in at), they take all the faith you have stored up.

Is it really only three uses? Could've sworn prophets had more than that.

Thanks for the comments. I'll have to go back and check, but the CS's I converted did not default to friend. Maybe I didn't give the resting point enough time to reach its resting point.
    There is a mouse over pop up that shows your current favour with the CS and how much it increases or decreases each turn. It also lists the current resting point for that CS. Something along the lines of "Your current influence is 10 and will increase by 0.8 per turn until reaching the resting point of 35". Something along those lines anyway.

Is it really only three uses? Could've sworn prophets had more than that.
    As in my post above, mine had four, but I had already built The Great Mosque of Djenne, which gives missionaries an extra one, so I assumed that the extra one also applied to the GP. I didn't pay attention to my first prophets though so I don't know if it was always four or if it started at three and went up to four. That was also on a large map at epic speed. Maybe game speed influences how many conversion they get?