Thread: Possible to put Baba yetu in Civ 5?

Possible to put Baba yetu in Civ 5?

Title says it all, is there some way to replace the ingame Civ 5 main menu music with Baba yetu?

There is a thread on Civfanatics on this topic. Short answer, yes you can change the music to Baba Yetu.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=464701

From the thread:

1. Download Baba Yetu MP3 and convert to .wav

2. Open directory containing menu music file.

Civilization V: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\Sounds\Streamed\Music\OpeningMenu_Proto_1 .wav

Gods and Kings: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\Expansion\Sounds\Streamed\Music\Openi ngMenu_Exp.wav

3. Backup original menu music file.

4. Rename Baba Yeto .wav file to OpeningMenu_Proto_1.wav for Civ V or OpeningMenu_Exp.wav for Gods and Kings and move to the appropriate directory.

It was a fine song for Civ 4's main menu, but why are so many people so fanatical about it? Is it because of nostalgia (Civ 4 was your first Civ, so you love the song that much?). My friend still associates Civ with the Civ 2 intro song, but he would never get so into it that he wanted to plaster it over a new version of Civ.

To be clear, I'm not saying "you shouldn't do this". I'm just wondering what the big deal is with that song?

I don't know what it is about the song but whenever I played Civ IV I felt physically unable to even start the game until I had listened to it all! It's just so evocative. It's certainly not just nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpanzee View Post
    I don't know what it is about the song but whenever I played Civ IV I felt physically unable to even start the game until I had listened to it all! It's just so evocative. It's certainly not just nostalgia.
    Evocative....of what? What is it evoking?

I maintain that without the cool graphics of the earth and the sun rising and setting, that song wouldn't have nearly the "evocation" that it does with people. You hear that song on the radio for the first time without any context and you would think "What the hell is this? Next."

It's funny, but I too was recently thinking about this.

I agree that the Civ4 opening sequence was fantastic, and brought meaning to it for me (and very different meaning than what baba yetu actually means).

Having said that, I don't think of civ4 (which I personally like the least in the series... I know, the only one, I'm sure...), but I think of civ as a whole (not just any one game):

For me it evokes a sense of what the game could be in my hands, what I can do with it, the sense of wonder and pride as I build my civilization, and makes me feel like I am a part of that civilization, even just for a moment.

When I think of civ, I think of baba yetu (and vice-versa), regardless of which civ I am about to play.

Quote Originally Posted by stethnorun View Post
    It was a fine song for Civ 4's main menu, but why are so many people so fanatical about it? Is it because of nostalgia (Civ 4 was your first Civ, so you love the song that much?). My friend still associates Civ with the Civ 2 intro song, but he would never get so into it that he wanted to plaster it over a new version of Civ.

To be clear, I'm not saying "you shouldn't do this". I'm just wondering what the big deal is with that song?
    Always questioning ppls happiness!!
    Next thing you know, you are going to mock me for loving Friday by Rebecca Black !!shame on you!!!!

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hellogoodbye123 View Post
    Always questioning ppls happiness!!
    Next thing you know, you are going to mock me for loving Friday by Rebecca Black !!shame on you!!!!

lol
    Your trolling is becoming way too obvious, my man.

I maintain that without the cool graphics of the earth and the sun rising and setting, that song wouldn't have nearly the "evocation" that it does with people. You hear that song on the radio for the first time without any context and you would think "What the hell is this? Next."
    Agree with this. I'm not a video game music buff, and have probably heard this particular tune so often I could count it on my fingers (and that a while ago). So I just searched for it on the www and listened again, including the intro movie to Civ4. The film was great (when a little US orientated - WTF civil war?) but I couldn't help but think the background music sounded undistinguishable from any one of the animated movies my kids used to watch like Lion King or that bear one.

It's a great song. Iconic. I even wrote a term paper in college about it.

Well 'Baba Yetu' is the only piece of video game music to ever be nominated for and/or win a Grammy. Of course that depends on how much stock you put in the Grammies but there is significance in being the only piece of video game music to ever receive Grammy recognition.

Apparently beauty is also in the ear of the beholder as well.

13. Quote Originally Posted by steveg700 View Post
    Apparently beauty is also in the ear of the beholder as well.
    Well, yeah. Music is, probably more than any other medium (okay, maybe right behind modern art), an entirely emotional art form. There's very little you can say objectively about the quality of music. Even things such as singing talent and such don't really count for anything (as evidenced by some punk music and growl-metal).

Music either hits you or it doesn't. All I'm saying is, without the fantastic visuals of the Civ 4 main menu, I don't think the song itself would have stuck with so many people.

Music either hits you or it doesn't. All I'm saying is, without the fantastic visuals of the Civ 4 main menu, I don't think the song itself would have stuck with so many people.
    It stuck with me on civrev.. not becuase of the graphics, I just like how it sounds, so happy and stuff....

and me a troll? psst you must not be wearing your glasses or your pineapple on your head! lol