Thread: Gods & Kings = No more Garrison?

Gods & Kings = No more Garrison?

Hey guys, first time here that I make a post. Last month I got Civ V, liked it a lot and was thrilled to see what G&K had to offer.

Cant' say I 100% love it, am still finding the religion part rather frustrating as I am trying to learn on it, how to contain the religion I created for to be kept in my cities and not let other religions replaced it. Am pretty sure its somehow affecting the Happyness, which is almost always low.

Anyways, just a quick question; has anyone else noticed that the button to garrison a unit in a city is now gone? I really hope its just a rare bug that I found, as removign that options just makes NO sense, since all I can do is have them on alert and thus must pay gold and maintance on them.

Hell, right now I control around 10 cities and my gold income is barely 35 per turn, where as before the expansion it should be way higher.

A unit in the city's hex is automatically considered garrisoned.

There are some oddities though, puppets no longer benefit from the Honor tree garrison bonus. Really a bummer for people who played the puppet culture strategy.

One can fortify a unit in a city. I believe one of the Research or Religion choices eliminates the cost of maintenance of the military unit fortified inside a city. I don't remember which one.

A unit that hasn't done anything is considered garrisoned when on top of a city.

Ranged units that fires or a melee that attack without leaving make you loss the bonus to city defense and I think the bonus to city attack damage from tradition.

I think the removal of cost and honors happiness isn't affected by the garrisoned unit attacking.

A damaged garrisoned unit give less bonus to the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Artifex View Post
    A unit in the city's hex is automatically considered garrisoned.

There are some oddities though, puppets no longer benefit from the Honor tree garrison bonus. Really a bummer for people who played the puppet culture strategy.
    Good! Puppetting is supposed to be a short-term fix, not a long-term strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by stethnorun View Post
    Good! Puppetting is supposed to be a short-term fix, not a long-term strategy.
    How do you figure? I always looked at it as an important strategic decision: Do you want to be able to build units in this city, and take a bigger happiness penalty, or do you want to be unable to build military and have lower social policy costs?

Sometimes you will have to do the former (for a city on another continent perhaps, or if you need more military production), but for all other situations you can leave them a puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by shazbotian View Post
    How do you figure? I always looked at it as an important strategic decision: Do you want to be able to build units in this city, and take a bigger happiness penalty, or do you want to be unable to build military and have lower social policy costs?

Sometimes you will have to do the former (for a city on another continent perhaps, or if you need more military production), but for all other situations you can leave them a puppet.
    Most players only build military out of 2 or 3 cities anyway, so that argument doesn't really hold up. Not selecting build order for buildings could be considered a blessing since that's usually the least fun decision to make. Puppets should really give you almost no advantages that a non-puppet does. It should be like how vassals worked in Civ 4: they give you some money and they won't attack you, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stethnorun View Post
    Most players only build military out of 2 or 3 cities anyway, so that argument doesn't really hold up. Not selecting build order for buildings could be considered a blessing since that's usually the least fun decision to make. Puppets should really give you almost no advantages that a non-puppet does. It should be like how vassals worked in Civ 4: they give you some money and they won't attack you, but that's about it.
    If he wants to avoid a happiness hit it's best to puppet. You can go a bit longer steamrolling cities with puppets as compared to Annexed Cities, and you save a fair amount of time/money not having to buy a Courthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlynor View Post
    If he wants to avoid a happiness hit it's best to puppet. You can go a bit longer steamrolling cities with puppets as compared to Annexed Cities, and you save a fair amount of time/money not having to buy a Courthouse.
    Well right, but that's my argument for them being short-term fixes, not long-term strategies. I have no problem with the idea of leaving a city puppetted while you collect money for a courthouse or while the war is still raging. But after the war, and when you have enough money, people should ALWAYS be encouraged (through the game rules) to annex.

Maybe there should be some sort of "growing discontent" if a city is puppetted for a certain amount of turns. And eventually it flips back to its previous owner (if no one is left in the garrison).

Quote Originally Posted by Icelandic_Boy View Post
    Hey guys, first time here that I make a post. Last month I got Civ V, liked it a lot and was thrilled to see what G&K had to offer.

Cant' say I 100% love it, am still finding the religion part rather frustrating as I am trying to learn on it, how to contain the religion I created for to be kept in my cities and not let other religions replaced it. Am pretty sure its somehow affecting the Happyness, which is almost always low.

Anyways, just a quick question; has anyone else noticed that the button to garrison a unit in a city is now gone? I really hope its just a rare bug that I found, as removign that options just makes NO sense, since all I can do is have them on alert and thus must pay gold and maintance on them.

Hell, right now I control around 10 cities and my gold income is barely 35 per turn, where as before the expansion it should be way higher.
    J g er sammla etta trarbragar dt er frekar skrti, en fr hrra pressure eftir v hvesu nlgt essi borg er hfuborginni sem trin var fundinn. Svo getur lka nota trarboa til ess a dreyfa trnni inni.

Og a a gera 'alert' borg er nna a sama og garrison ef ert me etta social policy sem tekur allan maintenance kostna burtu seru a a virkar.

Og g er ekki alveg sammla r me happinessi, g er nna vanalega me 35-45 (me aeins 4 borgir) eftir a g keypti G&K DLC'inn. Maur arf bara a passa sig a vera ekki a spamma borgum hgri vistri

I think one of the reasons for the auto garrison is that prior to G&K if you had a unit garrisoned and then you upgraded the unit you lost the +1 happiness if you had picked that policy. Then you had to re-garrison it the next turn to regain the +1 happiness. This was true for having no maintenance cost for garrisoned units. I really like the change as that was one of things I didn't like in Civ5 Vanilla.

I think they removed it for its micro management effect. But essentially they have just swapped garrison for fortify when in the city. I just liked the "idea" of garrison, they might as well have left the button and made it "like fortifying".

The one thing that always annoys me is that the "Fortify" button is, for no good reason, not on the main button menu. Instead it's buried with the "Delete" button.

Happy to see Garrison go. It made no sense from the start. Also more convenient now to simply place the unit in "alert," no more having to un-garrison to attack. As to cost, with Oligarchy it still costs nothing to keep the unit in the city, same as before, except now you don't have to re-garrison to save the cost after attacking.

15. Quote Originally Posted by steveg700 View Post
    The one thing that always annoys me is that the "Fortify" button is, for no good reason, not on the main button menu. Instead it's buried with the "Delete" button.
    Well, the sentry button is almost always the better option anyway. It's fortify until an enemy approaches.

Use the hotkey, Luke

F = fortify, A = Sentry