Thread: AI Great Prophet and converting of my cities

AI Great Prophet and converting of my cities

I am going for a cultural victory in my current game, so I only have 2 cities. Two neighboring AIs keep sending GPs in and converting my 2 cities to their religion. Every GP I save up for has to be used to convert my cities back to my religion. It just seems that GPs are way to powerful.

I'd go wage war with them. It's annoying having to keep resetting like crazy. Also I'm having a hard time saving up for that achievement for dominant religion on a standard map. I tried playing with 1 other civ, and 40 city states to make it real easy, but it didn't work.

And he just came in and converted it again. This is pretty dumb.

My first game I played was like this. Just next game convert his cities, and then capture his capital. I would puppet his capital anyways. With just a couple of cities you're not much of a threat to other civs, so it could be worth while.

so now his and my GP are trading converting my holy city back and forth. The GP needs to be nerfed.

Declare war, capture his dude and use it to make a tile upgrade :P

Quote Originally Posted by GhostReaperSix View Post
    Declare war, capture his dude and use it to make a tile upgrade :P
    How do you use a captured AI Great Prophet to upgrade a tile?

Quote Originally Posted by SirMaru View Post
    I had read someone else suggesting that in another thread. Haven't tried it yet. From what I gather it's possible if they haven't been used once already to spread religion. Then you would create an improvement like you can with your own great prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMaru View Post
    Great prophets are just like workers or settlers...they don't even have names, so you can capture your enemy's great prophet, take it to your homeland, then use it to make a holy site...more faith...

Okay I made a similar thread about flipping cities back and forth. Someone suggest that I station an Inquisitor in the cities that I don't want touched and it worked. No prophets came near my core cities for the rest of the game.

Then the annoying part became keeping my CS allies aligned with my religion because I had Papal Primacy...

Inquisitors completely shut down Great Prophets and Missionaries. Just station them in your cities and you shouldn't have any more trouble. You have to do a bit of reading to find out that they do this, I'm not surprised you didn't know about it. They actively remove all foreign religions, yes, but just by being in a city they prevent other religions from spreading by any means.

You're still gonna have trouble if you're trying to keep foreign powers following your religion, but the Inquisitors should ensure your own cities are safe.

Ill have to give the inquisitor a shot in my next game. The lack of documentation for the expac is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by finkelmana View Post
    so now his and my GP are trading converting my holy city back and forth. The GP needs to be nerfed.
    You have not demonstrated any reason why what's happening is "dumb" or needs to be nerfed. If you run a two-city civ, you will be subject to all manner of bullying, and religious conversion should be no more of an exception than having a neighboring civ march a giant army up to your doorstep. Players are not entitled to be immunized against having their best-laid plans dashed.

If you convert their cities with prophets then that puts them on the defensive. If you build inquisitors, they'll be purged quite effectively. There's stuff you can do.

Try embracing the conversion. If you have pagodas as a follower belief and they grant cathedrals, you can double-dip.

Would be kinda cool if inquisitors could outright kill prophets and missionaries they encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg700 View Post
    Would be kinda cool if inquisitors could outright kill prophets and missionaries they encounter.
    They can. Move your inquisitor next to infidel prophet, symbol for said action will appear in inquisitors action bar.

No kidding? Will it result in DoW?

I'm not 100% on this, but on my last game I moved my Inquisitor next to enemy prophet and pressed 'Remove heretic'-button. Prophet disappeared. Then I moved my Inquisitor next to the city-state prophet had influenced and the Remove heretic-action did not appear again. I thought that's how inquisitors work.

So... why doesn't the AI use Inquisitors?

Quote Originally Posted by steveg700 View Post
    You have not demonstrated any reason why what's happening is "dumb" or needs to be nerfed. If you run a two-city civ, you will be subject to all manner of bullying, and religious conversion should be no more of an exception than having a neighboring civ march a giant army up to your doorstep. Players are not entitled to be immunized against having their best-laid plans dashed.

If you convert their cities with prophets then that puts them on the defensive. If you build inquisitors, they'll be purged quite effectively. There's stuff you can do.

Try embracing the conversion. If you have pagodas as a follower belief and they grant cathedrals, you can double-dip.
    Its dumb because my city was converted from one religion to another 30 times in maybe 40 turns. <--dumb

I'm pretty certain that Inquisitors do not kill Great Prophets. I tried it just now and it didn't happen. All they can do is keep them from converting cities. Not sure if they kill missionaries, haven't tried that yet.