Thread: How does Religious Pressure work?

How does Religious Pressure work?

Can anyone explain this to me? It's not well explained by the game at all.

I *think* its a combined "strength" of the religion (number of followers) in current city and nearby cities that can spread influence onto this city.

In other words, more followers you have in the city and more followers are in nearby cities the stronger the pressure is on the city in question.

When a city converts to a religion, it exerts 6 points of pressure on neighboring cities in what is supposed to be a 10 tile radius. So it becomes viral, infecting and spreading and snowballing. The more pressure exerted on a city, the faster its poulation converts. How much time it takes to convert a unit of population I cannot say.

Quote Originally Posted by leliel View Post
    I *think* its a combined "strength" of the religion (number of followers) in current city and nearby cities that can spread influence onto this city.

In other words, more followers you have in the city and more followers are in nearby cities the stronger the pressure is on the city in question.
    I don't think so. Looks like its a flat six pressure per city. Enhancer beliefs can bump it. Also, the holy city exerts lots of pressure on itself.

Unfortunately, this is confirming my suspicions on this mechanic...

Every city following a certain religion will exert base pressure of 6 in a 10 tile radius of that religion onto other cities only. Range becomes 13 tiles with Itinerant Preachers and pressure bumped to 8 with Religious Texts (10 when Printing Press is complete). Holy City will always exert a base pressure of 30 on itself as well.

If you happen to be the Byzantines and combine Itinerant Preachers and Religious Texts, it's a pretty hands off approach to spreading religion. Use this with either Church Property or Tithe and you get a pretty sweet deal going on for the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hotdog View Post
    Every city following a certain religion will exert base pressure of 6 in a 10 tile radius of that religion onto other cities only. Range becomes 13 tiles with Itinerant Preachers and pressure bumped to 8 with Religious Texts (10 when Printing Press is complete). Holy City will always exert a base pressure of 30 on itself as well.
    Where do pressures that are not multiples of 6 or 8 comes from then?

I've not seen them. Post a pic as proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hotdog View Post
    I've not seen them. Post a pic as proof.
    As many as you like, they are everywhere

First shows a AI civ city with no current religion and pressures from two different religions of 4
    http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y.../Pressure1.jpg

Second shows a CS with no religion with pressure only from my religion of 2
    http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y.../Pressure2.jpg

Third is in case I have it backwards (since I'm in the dark on how it works too). Shows one of my cities with my religion only with pressure of 4
    http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/y.../Pressure3.jpg

What pace are you playing? I've not tried anything but standard (especially not since they stretched the game out even longer).

That's a huge Earth map at marathon speed, prince level. I don't recall seeing any odd pressure values. I'll do some checks later and see if it matches for a value of 2 per city in range and report back. Won't be for a while as I may not get a chance to play again today.

EDIT: Checked quite a few cities and it looks like it is 2 per city in range. Sort of makes religious texts a bit lame as the bonus 33% spread effect looks to be rounded down, so stays at 2. Guess I won't be seeing that bonus until Printing Press. Surely 3.32 will round to 3, though I don't remember seeing an odd figure? I'll post back when I get that far. I can research Printing Press next so about 23 turns. Might get it done now if I'm lucky.

EDIT2: OK Got Printing Press and it did round to 3. Still seems like a pretty raw deal that the Religious Texts virtually have now effect until Printing Press though.
    Last edited by Strudo76; 06-29-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Corrected maths