Thread: Ethiopia, possibly the best religious civilization

Ethiopia, possibly the best religious civilization

At first glance, Ethiopia's only merit seems to be making a very strong defensive empire that bunkers down and wins via culture (or possibly science/diplomacy). The passive is quite strong, and when combined with certain culture policies and/or wonders can make even a small (and thus, cheap to maintain) army incredibly powerful. Their unique unit furthers this plan, though as with all unique units they are only online for a limited amount of time and especially for a non-militaristic approach their importance is relatively low.

But they have a hidden gem, which comes online on turn 1, the Stele.

Replacing the Monument, this building simply adds an additional 2 faith on top of the normal 2 culture.

To realize how strong this is, it's important to understand what other ways faith can be generated in the Ancient era:

Shrine, a building which gives 1 faith and takes Pottery research to build. It also does nothing else.
    The Celts passive which gives 1 or 2 faith per city if they settle and never improve adjacent forest tiles.
    Allying with a Religious city-state.
    Adopting a Pantheon which gives additional faith for specific terrain/resources/buildings.

The fairly obvious reason that getting faith EARLY is important is that the first Pantheon is cheapest the form, and the first religion will be the easiest to spread because there will be no competition.

IMO, really only two civs have a huge advantage on founding the quickest religion, Ethiopia and the Celts.

The Celts have the POSSIBILITY of a quicker religious start. However, unless they can settle next to THREE un-improved forest tiles, Ethiopia wins out. In an AI game the worst case scenario if you are Ethiopia and the Celts exist is you will form the 2nd pantheon. You will still almost certainly form the first religion.
    On top of this, you give up your passive for this benefit, and it restricts those tiles to being near-useless to work. Their unique unit and building are solid, and in no way am I saying the Celts are not good. Some would argue they are, or can be, the best religious civ. The extra happiness from their unique building also supports a more militaristic game (and their unique unit as well but lets be honest at spearman tech level how often do you really want to conquer the world).

Ethiopia however, gives up nothing really for their early religion. You want to build a monument immediately in most games anyways, so it will be up on turn 10. This means at turn 15 you will form your pantheon. You may be able to make it more like turn 8 and 13 if their is a good tile to work in your city.

They don't give up a passive for this benefit, and they don't restrict any tiles around their city (and future cities) or require any special considerations where they settle new cities.

With their passive, you can play a really fun religious game with about 3 or 4 cities. This leads perfectly to a cultural victory as well. You can focus most of your resources towards improving culture, spreading religion around the world, and maintain a relatively small military force that is extremely powerful

You also have a few civs like Byzantine which have religious bonuses once they are formed. The problem with Byzantine though is that nothing helps them get religion going. This means they are going to have to heavily devote their early game to generating faith, possibly by setting in poor terrain like desert or tundra for pantheon benefits, or expanding rapidly to build extra shrines and having huge happiness problems. If they do none of this, its quite possibly they will never even found a religion.

Food for though, as I haven't seen anyone really talk about these guys yet!

You actually build Steles? I just get them free with Legalism (I think) under Tradition and build a scout instead: which I usually find a nice little starting chunk of Faith and/or Culture and if not that it's always nice having archers and later machine gunners that ignore terrain penalties (go around killing barbarians for an occasional Great General and citadels can be very useful for a peace-monger). Plus their starting bias (at least in my three games with them) usually puts them with a fair amount luxury or bonus resources that use plantations (but usually not incense): nice for the early culture boost from Oral Tradition.

IMO, really only two civs have a huge advantage on founding the quickest religion, Ethiopia and the Celts.
    Don't forget the mayan pyramid. It replaces the shrine and produces two beakers in addition to two points of faith. The mayans can easily go religious at the beginning as well!

I happened to start in a tundra. I got the pantheon for tunrda without forest is + 1 faith. This easily let me become a religious powerhouse. I chopped down all of the forest and put trade posts everywhere. My cities didn't grow bigger than size 15-18, even with hospitals, but I had them packed tightly together. A tightly packed cluster of cities is very hard to stop religion from pouring out of it. the pressure on outward cities is very high

Quote Originally Posted by Fafe View Post
    Don't forget the mayan pyramid. It replaces the shrine and produces two beakers in addition to two points of faith. The mayans can easily go religious at the beginning as well!
    The difference is everyone builds monuments even the Mayans. Ethiopia can skip shrines and temples and are still going to be frontrunners for founding.

I had found an AI founded Pantheon at turn 1, guess it's Celts who find a religious city-state at first glance.

The jury is out on Ethiopia imo. Some people say that their Mehal Safari are glitched. Their UA is of mixed value as well. When it's there, it's amazing. However, you always have to limit yourself to take advantage of it. You don't have to have less cities than everybody, but you should always have 1 less than everybody you're competing with.

They have a lot of potential on multiplayer team games imo. In that scenario, they can keep trading their cities with their allies to ensure that they always have their combat bonus.

I don't know if you really have to limit your number of cities, at least not against the AI. Obviously if you're larger then you're generally stronger. It will really help against city spammers on other continents. I can think of a few times I got to the second continent and found a monster sized Mongolia or Rome where Ethiopia's UA would have been real great if I was trying for a dom game.

I just won a Deity game, cultural victory. It was not a OCC, but i found just one city anyway, on a Large Islands Map.

The Stele was a real game changer, not so much for the religion itself, but for the early Phanteon. The Stele was the firt thing i found, no need for scout on an Island.

I was the second to found a Phanteon, i decide to take Phanteon Of Gods - 15% of production for Ancient/Classical Wonders. I took it very early in the game, about the sametime that i took the Aristocracy Policy. I was able to complete the Great Library, which is still the best wonder of the game for me.

From that on it was a sequence of wonders, Oracle, Terracotta Army, Hagia Sofia, NC,... I think that the only think that i build besides the wonders was the Shrine and the Temple. My religions came just a few turns before the Great Prophet from the Hagia Sophia.

I took the following beliefs,

World Church - 1 culture per 5 followers - Did not help much, i dont know if i should have spread religion more often...
    Religius Art - 8 Culture for Hermitage (With one city only, the hermitage was not that far away)
    Religius Community - 1% prodution per follower - That helped, my only city had more production than any other AI Civ.
    Religius Unity - Religion Spread Faster to Friendly CS (I keep tought it would help me with the Cultural City States Alies, but that just didn't happen).

Divine Inspiration would have been good, but i dont think i was available anymore when i found my religion.

I ended up using the religious points for great artists, not only for Landmarks but also for golden ages, that now give a boost to culture also. I spend the last 40+ turns on Golden Ages...

One think that i notice during the game, at some point my city was converted, i got the right to use the other religion beliefs, I bought a Monastery with that and them reverted my city back to my religion... I dont know if there is a way to take advantage of this.....

Quote Originally Posted by VicRatlhead51 View Post
    The difference is everyone builds monuments even the Mayans. Ethiopia can skip shrines and temples and are still going to be frontrunners for founding.
    Well I would build Pyramid before Monument with Maya. Not only do you get the Faith but the extra 2 Science is pretty awesome that early in game.

Yeah. Playing Ethiopia at Deity is pretty much going to guarantee that you're the underdog at least at the start of the game