Thread: Question of the Day: What do you think Jake Solomon is doing today?

Question of the Day: What do you think Jake Solomon is doing today?

Do you think he is eating lunch? Are they still implementing features? Are they down to fine tuning? Are the maps all made? I assume the game is in alpha testing by now. Beta in August I would assume??

I'd say prepping for Rezzed tomorrow. If I recall correctly there's supposed to be a 15 minute developer demo, I'm very much looking forward to it.

What do you think Jake Solomon is doing today?
    I have no idea. Probably his usual daily routine or something.

Quote Originally Posted by katscan View Post
    Do you think he is eating lunch?
    I'm not sure. I'm from a different time zone than him.

Are they still implementing features?
    I think so.

Are they down to fine tuning?
    Huh?

Are the maps all made?
    Probably not.

I assume the game is in alpha testing by now. Beta in August I would assume??
    You have to ask them about that.

he's in the bathroom. too much 4th of july partying last night.

I have a feeling they are mostly working on marketing, licensing, and publishing release stuff as a whole.

As for game design, they are probably mostly working on debugging and game balancing. Probably running alpha tests and releasing many iterations of bug & balance fixes.

They probably have the programmers and artists either rushing to finish some final game components, and/or working on DLC.

They are well past the design phase at this point. They won't be conceiving or implementing new ideas or making any major additions. They will instead be making sure what they have works, and works well.

I'm almost certain he is bouncing on a pogostick and saying "I am the queen" while wearing a wizard hat and eye patch.

He's probably playing the Goddamned game! >:| Lucky bastard. He acts like he's the lead designer or...

nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterminator View Post
    I'm almost certain he is bouncing on a pogostick and saying "I am the queen" while wearing a wizard hat and eye patch.
    I'm guess he's...

A) Playing hand ball with his favorite programmer. Working up the details while they're workin' up a sweat.

B) Having a glass of Suntory Yamazaki Single Malt Whisky.
    Last edited by Laager; 07-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laager View Post
    I'm guess he's...

Playing hand ball with his favorite programmer. Working up the details while they're workin' up a sweat.
    When you hear him speak, Jake deffinetly seems like a true xcom fan who used to play the game years ago.

But at first glance, most xcom fans probably thought he looked like the guy who used to beat them up at lunch years ago.

He's solving the latest Soduko puzzle I sent him.

Jake is preparing for Rezzed when he will immediately proceed to Goldhawk Interactive's booth, walk up to Xenonauts designer Chris England and punch him in the throat, screaming "You think you can crowd my turf with your indy X-COM remake, you Limey bastard?! I'm JAKE-EFFING-SOLOMON and I WILL MASSACRE YOU! I WILL **** YOU UP!"

Well, he would do that if he worked for Electronic Arts.

Quote Originally Posted by P-DEX View Post
    Jake is preparing for Rezzed when he will immediately proceed to Goldhawk Interactive's booth, walk up to Xenonauts designer Chris England and punch him in the throat, screaming "You think you can crowd my turf with your indy X-COM remake, you Limey bastard?! I'm JAKE-EFFING-SOLOMON and I WILL MASSACRE YOU! I WILL **** YOU UP!"

Well, he would do that if he worked for Electronic Arts.
    I'd pay to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkidu View Post
    I'd pay to see it.
    I thought that's what the extra $$ for the special edition was for?!?

watching us suffer(from waiting) and enjoying it.

As awesome as XCOM looks and as as some longtime fans are I imagine right now he's trying to:

Cure world hunger, and all disease, as well as finding a universal cure for cancer.
    He's solving the Middle East dispute, and war in general.
    Also he's probably prepping a real-life XCOM unit at the UNs behest.

Or he's playing the game and laughing all the way to the damn bank.

Whatever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkidu View Post
    As awesome as XCOM looks and as as some longtime fans are I imagine right now he's trying to:

Cure world hunger, and all disease, as well as finding a universal cure for cancer.
    He's solving the Middle East dispute, and war in general.
    Also he's probably prepping a real-life XCOM unit at the UNs behest.

Or he's playing the game and laughing all the way to the damn bank.

Whatever comes first.
    Microprose made a ton of awesome hit games. And they cried all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Howellren View Post
    Microprose made a ton of awesome hit games. And they cried all the way to the bank.
    It's generally accepted that Microprose kind of just sat on their laurels and didn't do a whole lot with the Civ, XCOM, and Falcon franchises that they had. :\

I think it's pretty obvious Jake Solomon is an Alien. His mannerisms, his attempts at humour, his eyes. Notice his eyes? He looks right through you...

Right now he's eating a Sundae laughing maniacally and planning the end of the world as we know it.
    Last edited by warmaster; 07-06-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Shpellings

He's on the phone with his mom, wondering if Geoff Desmoulin is his long lost brother.
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1277725440/nm3113207
    A pic of Jake for comparison:
    http://www.mcvpacific.com/news/read/...unknown/092595

I like to think that he is currently wearing his Indiana Jones hat, has his whip and is off being a gentleman adventurer in some unknown tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    I like to think that he is currently wearing his Indiana Jones hat, has his whip and is off being a gentleman adventurer in some unknown tomb.
    That or sky-pirate in his aether powered airship. That's also acceptable.

Fishing in a boat in the Atlantic ocean

its threads like this as to why I stop checking these forums. I have to search too hard to find new articles or videos on the site.

Beta in August I would assume??
    Maybe but beta for whom? I kinda doubt there will be any public beta access. Seen any dev info on beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Howellren View Post
    When you hear him speak, Jake deffinetly seems like a true xcom fan who used to play the game years ago.
    He talks a good game, as he should, as should anybody who's a pro developer.

But IMO, no true fan would make the major design changes he's made to a game like XCOM with such entrenched and diehard fans. He is doing his interpretation of XCOM.

He is closed in basement with a shotgun and an aluminium foil hat on head waiting for October and saying strange things about Maya’s prophecy and Sectoids.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisbu View Post
    He is closed in basement with a shotgun and an aluminium foil hat....
    http://i.imgur.com/suALh.png
    Every Sectoid and Etherals worst nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
    Maybe but beta for whom? I kinda doubt there will be any public beta access. Seen any dev info on beta?

He talks a good game, as he should, as should anybody who's a pro developer.

But IMO, no true fan would make the major design changes he's made to a game like XCOM with such entrenched and diehard fans. He is doing his interpretation of XCOM.
    Well, in my opinion he is, because he who dares wins. Any "true fan" could make a carbon copy of XCOM, and probably do well. It takes a developer with some fortitude and brains, and dedication to not some handful of mechanics but the dedication to the very spirit of XCOM as a whole to really bring this series back.

Actually people would probably be more critical of a carbon copy because the flattop haircut would have too much flat and not enough top. By introducing his changes fairly slowly he's been able to sway people to his thought process. That makes the game more acceptable to most people.

OT: I think Jake Solomon is reading this post and shedding man tears over how awesome it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
    No self-respecting Scotsman would have sugar on his porriage!

Also this is exactly what should be done: Keep the mechanics and genre, but do something that differentiates it as a new game. Maybe the way they are designing it won't work well, but do you honestly want Terror from the Deep 2.0 as a "sequel" method again? I sure don't.

I agree.. no one wants a TFTD sequel again. We have so much more capability with our CPU/GPUs today that the style of game they are making is a correct step for a sequel. Now some of the mechanics may need tweaking.. or some streamlining might put off some people, but the general look and feel of the game is "about right".. Im sure most people will agree with that.

I think he's reading these forums, taking note of all of our valuable feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by NickL2005 View Post
    its threads like this as to why I stop checking these forums. I have to search too hard to find new articles or videos on the site.
    Do you know something we don't ?? Oh. I was unaware that there's been ANY form of new information in the last 2 months. No? Thank you, sit down now.

Thanks for playing.

The way the "Open letter" thread is going, I seriously doubt Mr. Solomon would be fishing right now. More like shooting fish in a barrel, maybe.

I think they made a mistake with no small beta test here. The game is done but they don't wanna steal the thunder for the Civ expansion. I recall an interview saying it's being play tested for bugs and difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    No self-respecting Scotsman would have sugar on his porriage!

Also this is exactly what should be done: Keep the mechanics and genre, but do something that differentiates it as a new game. Maybe the way they are designing it won't work well, but do you honestly want Terror from the Deep 2.0 as a "sequel" method again? I sure don't.
    See, I knew Voqar was using a fallacy, but I couldn't remember which. Thanks for reminding me.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...NoTrueScotsman

Also, sorry for ruining the next two hours of your life.
    Last edited by Inkidu; 07-10-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: EDIT: Wrong person, sorry, DMXCU. XD